Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Check out the True Performance Skating tutorial to get ready for the NHL 13 demo, which arrives on August 21st. It's probably fair to say this is what they were referring to when they mentioned "Free Skate", not to be confused with the 1 on 1 vs. the goalie, as seen in the FIFA series.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Money99 @ 08/15/12 12:19 PM
I really liked what I saw.
Yes, it does look funny with the puck hanging on the stick like a magnet, but as long as this is only the case with elite puck handlers, I can live with it.

Regarding the backward skating stuff, I liked what I saw as well.
However, I am concerned that the CPU is going to exploit this.

In NHL08 all the way thru to NHL12, how many times did we see the CPU go like a bat out of hell into the corner, only to collect the puck, move backward, pivot and head up ice without any loss of momentum or the puck?
With the new skating physics I believe that play is dead now (hopefully), but I am a bit concerned that the CPU will get boosts and allow scrubs to make unbelievable and unrealistic pivot moves in close-quarters.

I don't believe that's an unwarranted concern considering EA's track record of granting 4th line scrubs god-like abilities on the higher difficulty settings.

It would really suck if we saw George Parro's pulling Denis Savard-type moves in the slot on a regular basis.

But I'm going to wait and see.
I had pretty much written off this series after NHL12 came out but now I'm genuinely excited for the demo to drop.

# 22 13whitebread @ 08/15/12 12:57 PM
Don't play online

# 23 plaidchuck @ 08/15/12 07:08 PM
Problem with the "don't play online" argument is that's what the game has been geared towards since the beginning of the EASHL. Comparatively the offline mode additions/improvements have been minimal. So therefore you'd think they'd put a little QA on the online modes that they focus so much on.

# 24 BiGVaTeR-- @ 08/15/12 07:45 PM
Looks awesome cant wait to try out the demo and by the way RealmK love your forum avatar is awesome i went to the Bruins championship parade it was sick only team i use EA NHL games

# 25 BiGVaTeR-- @ 08/15/12 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Thanks Bro, I wish I had gone, way too many people though from what I saw with the media coverage of it. I settled for a Thorty autograph at a Dick's Sporting Goods promotion when the SC DVD came out.
Ive been to 5 parades... 2 Pats 1 Red sox 1 Celtics 1 Bruins not many can say they've been to 5 pro championship parades in the same city lol TITLETOWN

# 26 Yeats @ 08/15/12 10:08 PM
Quote:
It never ends, people no matter how much something is improved will find something to gripe about.
What never ends is your need to spend half your time on these boards needling and nagging and ragging on people and critiquing their comments. You're like the Sean Avery of the OS Hockey forums.

The puck has been glued to players' sticks in every hockey game ever made. Hard to criticize this series for it when it's standard hockey video game programming.

# 27 Yeats @ 08/15/12 10:20 PM
Quote:
Got tired of following Big Jim around harassing him eh?
Nice deflection, you must play hockey.

# 28 BiGVaTeR-- @ 08/15/12 10:21 PM
Quote:
Right the hell on, I didn't realize you're pretty damn close to where I am too, I'm in Salem, not all that far from Haverhill. We're certainly spoiled having 1 of each major team that for the most part have been pretty damn successful the last decade or so, Pats have what 3? Sox with 2, I think the C's have a couple in there and the Bruins finally ended their drought and still are a contender as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah pats have 3 i missed one do to work also missed red sox 1st one do to work

# 29 gopher_guy @ 08/15/12 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGVaTeR--
Ive been to 5 parades... 2 Pats 1 Red sox 1 Celtics 1 Bruins not many can say they've been to 5 pro championship parades in the same city lol TITLETOWN

sigh...

at least I have 2002 and 2003 to remember fondly. lol

# 30 bwiggy33 @ 08/16/12 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
at least I have 2002 and 2003 to remember fondly. lol
Between that and the Wild with their 03 playoff run, that's about all we have hockey wise. Those were no question the most happy hockey moments I've ever had as a fan. I ran around the house chaotically when Brunette scored on my idol Patrick Roy. Then you really can't beat the script of the 02 national championship at the X. Sadly those 02 and 03 natty titles from the gophs don't mean squat to me anymore after going to school at St. Cloud State and working for their hockey team.

# 31 gopher_guy @ 08/16/12 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
Between that and the Wild with their 03 playoff run, that's about all we have hockey wise. Those were no question the most happy hockey moments I've ever had as a fan. I ran around the house chaotically when Brunette scored on my idol Patrick Roy. Then you really can't beat the script of the 02 national championship at the X. Sadly those 02 and 03 natty titles from the gophs don't mean squat to me anymore after going to school at St. Cloud State and working for their hockey team.
That '02 team is still my favorite sports team ever. Johnny Pohl, Grant Potulny, Paul Martin, Jordan Leopold, and the list goes on. So much character and finesse. And talk about a stacked blue line, 3 future NHL mainstays.

The '03 team wasn't bad either, adding Thomas Vanek to the mix

# 32 mkharsh33 @ 08/16/12 02:53 AM
Intern: "Hey, don't you guys think that puck looks a bit too magnetized to the stick? Seems pretty obvious to me."

EA Person of Importance: "Apparently you don't know how we do things around here. You're fired."

(Cue the graphic... "EA Sports - It's In The Game")

Well, sorta.....

# 33 Reiny09 @ 08/16/12 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
That '02 team is still my favorite sports team ever. Johnny Pohl, Grant Potulny, Paul Martin, Jordan Leopold, and the list goes on. So much character and finesse. And talk about a stacked blue line, 3 future NHL mainstays.

The '03 team wasn't bad either, adding Thomas Vanek to the mix
My cousin played on both of those championship teams

# 34 JezFranco @ 08/16/12 03:56 AM
I wouldn't mind the puck being glued to the stick on vanilla settings... but bumping it to hardcore should result in a loose puck when going top speed, something like the old push puck mechanic.

But I don't know if that causes problems, because it has done so earlier. Using the push puck feature made your player push the puck... then, as someone already mentioned here, kinda slowed you down, because your player went into "recieve the puck animation" when catching up the puck.

Hopefully with the new skating all this should change... I really hope that if I'm going top speed without the puck, and gets a pass, but still pushing full throttle on the left stick that my guy tries to receive the puck a bit uncontrolled, one-handed, or anyway without losing momentum, but at the risk of missing the reception.
If however I want to receive the puck in a more controlled way, let go of the left stick and gliiide. Lose momentum, but control the reception.

Anyway, can't wait until Tuesday.
I've bought every NHL since 07 on PS3, but I've kept my Xbox just for a case like this. NHL demo one day earlier

# 35 Reiny09 @ 08/16/12 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
I wouldn't mind the puck being glued to the stick on vanilla settings... but bumping it to hardcore should result in a loose puck when going top speed, something like the old push puck mechanic.

But I don't know if that causes problems, because it has done so earlier. Using the push puck feature made your player push the puck... then, as someone already mentioned here, kinda slowed you down, because your player went into "recieve the puck animation" when catching up the puck.

Hopefully with the new skating all this should change... I really hope that if I'm going top speed without the puck, and gets a pass, but still pushing full throttle on the left stick that my guy tries to receive the puck a bit uncontrolled, one-handed, or anyway without losing momentum, but at the risk of missing the reception.
If however I want to receive the puck in a more controlled way, let go of the left stick and gliiide. Lose momentum, but control the reception.

Anyway, can't wait until Tuesday.
I've bought every NHL since 07 on PS3, but I've kept my Xbox just for a case like this. NHL demo one day earlier
I agree that it would be nice to have a lot looser puck but there does have to be some sort of happy medium. We all know how the game currently plays but at the other end of the spectrum, if you take it too far, the game can get too sloppy and that can take the fun out of it even for people looking for a true sim.

And I can't agree more about being able to catch a pass without losing all of your momentum. Just about every animation in 12 for catching a pass causes the guy to nearly come to a complete stop. Same thing goes for poke checks and lifting the stick. They should be able to keep their feet moving and turn instead of gliding straight and taking themselves completely out of position if they miss.

# 36 jonapaloma @ 08/16/12 04:22 AM
One solution is to try and make the puck control similar to the one in NHL 2004 on PC. First when you receive the pass you have lower puck control and the more you have to puck on your stick the more control you get. So its easier to loose the puck when you first get it.

# 37 JezFranco @ 08/16/12 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiny09
I agree that it would be nice to have a lot looser puck but there does have to be some sort of happy medium. We all know how the game currently plays but at the other end of the spectrum, if you take it too far, the game can get too sloppy and that can take the fun out of it even for people looking for a true sim.
I absolutely agree with that, and understand that it's easy for us to sit here and wish for things, without even knowing how it would affect the actual flow of the game.

It's just that there is... the sliders.

It just feels weird, that we have the option to create millions (yes!) of unique game settings, but none offers a loose puck.

# 38 canucksss @ 08/16/12 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Intern: "Hey, don't you guys think that puck looks a bit too magnetized to the stick? Seems pretty obvious to me."

EA Person of Importance: "Apparently you don't know how we do things around here. You're fired."

(Cue the graphic... "EA Sports - It's In The Game")

Well, sorta.....
welcome back!!! hahahahah.

# 39 mkharsh33 @ 08/17/12 12:59 AM
I'm not a troll...far from it. I give a LOT back to this community, and to this title (slider sets). I understand that EA is trying to show off their new component to this game, but come on, that magnetized puck is a bit comical.

What I would have LIKED EA to shows us is a guy with LOW puck handling ability, stating, "And let us show you what happens when a player with lesser puck handling skills will do in this same scenario."

# 40 gopher_guy @ 08/17/12 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I'm not a troll...far from it. I give a LOT back to this community, and to this title (slider sets). I understand that EA is trying to show off their new component to this game, but come on, that magnetized puck is a bit comical.

What I would have LIKED EA to shows us is a guy with LOW puck handling ability, stating, "And let us show you what happens when a player with lesser puck handling skills will do in this same scenario."
Did you watch the gameplay vid mk? Magnet puck does not look as obvious in game, IMO.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.