Home
NBA Live 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Here it is, our first glimpse of NBA Live 13 in action.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: EA has taken down the video. Look through the comments section and you might be able to see a few pop up there, until they are removed as well.

UPDATE #2: Kotaku has it online.

UPDATE #3: EA Sports has responded... (via Owen Good, Kotaku)

Quote:
EA Sports responds: "The video appears to be captured from a pre-alpha build months ago and is not an official EA SPORTS release. It does not represent a final build or feature set for NBA Live."

Game: NBA Live 13Hype Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 56 - View All
NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 jmood88 @ 08/21/12 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uponablackstar
I didn't mind most of the faces, actually. It was the bodies, however, that looked the most atrocious. Everyone is super skinny, and I cracked up when I saw Perk for the first time.

And as a side note, whatever happened to that "move with a purpose" motto? Did it change to "stand like a statue" and I missed the memo?

EDIT: The EA hounds are on the loose!
When I first saw it I somehow missed Perkins looking like he has been on a hunger strike since the finals.

# 142 authentic @ 08/21/12 01:39 PM
EA is in full panic mode.

"Oh crap......they saw 'it'"

"We're screwed....sigh"

# 143 stlpimpmonsta @ 08/21/12 01:41 PM
Live standards.... not that bad really. For those saying it looks like ps2 you clearly never played ps2 or you forgot how it looks cause you sound crazy saying that. The presentation looks cool ( unlike the new jay z junk on 2k) but man the audio was horrible. Not sure why ppl want that commentary team in 2k13 when its clear as hell that they are reading. Harlan >>>>>>>>> breen. Stop letting espn brainwash you hes horrible.

# 144 Conda @ 08/21/12 01:41 PM
Ok, EA... Well played. We got punked. Now show us the real game.

# 145 Vni @ 08/21/12 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlpimpmonsta
Live standards.... not that bad really. For those saying it looks like ps2 you clearly never played ps2 or you forgot how it looks cause you sound crazy saying that. The presentation looks cool ( unlike the new jay z junk on 2k) but man the audio was horrible. Not sure why ppl want that commentary team in 2k13 when its clear as hell that they are reading. Harlan >>>>>>>>> breen. Stop letting espn brainwash you hes horrible.
Yeah the commentary is not natural at all. 2K does a lot better job at that (and at almost everything else aswell)

# 146 kg54mvp1 @ 08/21/12 01:44 PM

I like the lighting! sorry about the quality everyone

# 147 ForeverVersatile @ 08/21/12 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese45mc
If you notice when they are picking teams it says (11-12) This is def a early build, not even close to todays version. I hope they off that arcade sliding non sense.
Dude thats because the game is based on last year and just will have current rosters like any sports game, doesn't defeat the purpose of the game looking like my 5 month old son's diaper after eating.

# 148 noshun @ 08/21/12 01:46 PM
I feel bad for cwilson, ctuna, ced22, notice.. poor HHG, shots fireds, someone is playing Taps at the moment.

# 149 ForeverVersatile @ 08/21/12 01:47 PM
Some of yall need a slap in the face saying it wasn't that bad..must be blind or high.

# 150 nova91 @ 08/21/12 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Throne2K11
Some of yall need a slap in the face saying it wasn't that bad..must be blind or high.
It's not THAT bad, there were(was) some(a) positive(s) in the footage.

# 151 DahStoryTella @ 08/21/12 01:49 PM
At first, I was like:

Then, from 3:54-4:04:

What on earth...lmaooooooooooo!!!

# 152 Nathan_OS @ 08/21/12 01:49 PM
Yooo , EA took there video back?

lol , Que?

# 153 Vni @ 08/21/12 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Throne2K11
It feels really old man. If you take off the HD look of the game it is easily a PS2 game animation wise.

# 154 bigdoc85 @ 08/21/12 01:50 PM
Didn't EA promise some "disruptive" marketing strategy or something like that?

# 155 bigdoc85 @ 08/21/12 01:51 PM
Well, I guess there's nothing stopping me from getting my pre-order in on Amazon for NBA2k13!

# 156 jhawk826 @ 08/21/12 01:53 PM

# 157 P-Dub @ 08/21/12 01:55 PM
It almost looks like a tablet game. Everything is HUGE on the interface. Looks like an improved version of Elite.

The person playing obviously did not know how to play, but that is not an excuse for some of the gameplay

I think it's important to note that EA's Live 13 is not going to compete with 2KSports' 2K13, and it wasn't intended to, despite all the shots they take at each other. I remain with an open mind and look towards the future for EA to improve the series.

It animates awkwardly, and some of them look like they are only 30 fps animations or maybe it's the game or the video, but there is a lack of smoothness happening. Many of the animations seem out of context. There are missing dribble sounds when dribbling animations get interrupted by a players movement because the ball doesn't always hit the floor when interrupting the animation. I hope this is because of the early build.

They still have a problem with ballhandlers changing direction with a live dribble. They move their feet instead of properly changing direction with the ball and pivot foot with either a crossover or pivot. This is resulting in a lot of the sliding.

The camera is jumpy. It doesn't need to jitter as the ball is hitting the rim. It also didn't show a player in the far right corner.

Players look lifeless. No emotions in their faces, even the body language is robotic.

Some things I noticed from the video-

-The intro looks great, even the glitch at the end before the starting lineup.
-Player lighting is solid. If they could add progressive sweat, it could be amazing, but only if they...
-Improve on the player models. Huge shoulders(Madden model?), no hips, jerseys look painted on.
-Again the tip off sucks, nobody has ever gotten it right. No big deal.
-I hate the default jumpshot. Who mocapped that?
-It looks tough to get into the paint. The defenders are helping pretty well and sagging off poor shooters. This looks like it will be a positive, but we won't be able to tell without seeing some aggressive offense.
-Turbo looks like it is back. There seems to be a clear difference when pushing the ball upcourt.
-I think the IK technology is still there. Players will reach for the ball instead of using predetermined rebounding and blocking animations.
--at 5:02 Bosh seems to be reaching out for the ball while being boxed out(or pushing Ibaka). The ball is tipped by Ibaka but Sefolosha gets the board.
-RTP(collision animations selector) looks like it is in. 7:52 layup has two different animations for each the shooter and defender.
-Substitution cutscene is unnecessary and awkward. A high five or something instead of a head nod would make more sense.
-Post-basket camera cuts have an abrupt lock on the player creating a disorientating effect while they are animating. They should use dampening like they did with the PS2/Xbox versions.
-Crowd looks great, but many of their animations lack context and look like they are there just to make them seem active. None of it seems to match the crowd sound.
-Commentary is good, but Van Gundy needs to be more consistent. He seems to be quiet for long periods of time.
-9:15, Collison takes a collision from the front yet falls forward on his face. I wonder if the collision system thinks that Lebron used his off arm to push Collison while going up with the layup. Awkward moment for the collision system.
-9:42, Dwyane Wade passes through part of Harden, and Harden takes a reverse charge/flop. The dunk looks like an old animation and does not match Wade's momentum on his drive. It was also much smoother of an animation and looked out of place than the other ones.
-Slippery slidery going on everywhere. Check out Shane Battier at 10:00 after his step back post shot. His first step is at the elbow of the freethrow line.
-There is an icon showing who you are going to pass to.
CLOCK SPEED!!!! They took the old Madden idea. They make the clock go faster, but the shot clock is still natural. This could allow for realistic stats while maintaining realistic minutes as well.

# 158 hookshot @ 08/21/12 01:56 PM
Any more videos or did EA already nab them all?

# 159 Steve_OS @ 08/21/12 01:57 PM
Updated OP w/ a working video from Kotaku.

# 160 cavsfan2 @ 08/21/12 01:58 PM
I'll just say it was better than I expected

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.