Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted his hands-on impressions of Beginner Mode in MLB 13 The Show. After reading his article, let us know what you think about the mode.

Quote:
... Beginner Mode grew out of developers' desire to chip away at The Show's intimidating reputation, not only to newcomers, but also to veterans who found some aspect of it difficult. This typically is hitting, an art that requires a ton of patience, something a video game experience rarely fosters.

With Beginner Mode turned on, you'll play a nine-inning game regularly. The pitchers' and hitters' behavior will be different depending on how far along you are in your progress. I was handed the controller to play Detroit versus the New York Yankees, switching sides between innings to hit against C.C. Sabathia (announced Thursday as The Shows second cover candidate, joining Washington's Bryce Harper) and Justin Verlander. You can apply Beginner Mode to any matchup involving any two teams.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Cavicchi @ 01/08/13 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
OK, this is just my opinion, so dont anybody get all bent out of shape over it.
The hot/cold zones are overrated. I think its all about pitch selection, pitch location and pitch accuracy. I cant tell you how many times Ive fired a fastball right down the middle and struck guys out.
For me, I play Analog Pitching, Pitching View on Legend. To me thats the most fun.
That's what I find severely lacking in this game, knowledge of pitch types that hitters like. I think all baseball teams know certain weaknesses of hitters, maybe it's in the scouting report. Now while that doesn't necessarily mean xyz batter can't hit such and such pitch, but it provides input as to what they like and/or where they like it.

# 102 Curahee @ 01/08/13 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
That's what I find severely lacking in this game, knowledge of pitch types that hitters like. I think all baseball teams know certain weaknesses of hitters, maybe it's in the scouting report. Now while that doesn't necessarily mean xyz batter can't hit such and such pitch, but it provides input as to what they like and/or where they like it.
I think that what the hot/cold zones are SUPPOSED to represent, but I dont think the engine for that is sophisticated enough to be like an actual scouting report.
If you ever watch real baseball, youll notice many times that the coaches are in the dugout flipping through a three ring binder filled with pages. Thats the scouting report that has so much info on the pitchers/batters that you can probably find their shoe size too.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.