Home
WWE 13 News Post

As of this afternoon, THQ as a company has been dissolved and all of it's licenses and properties have been auctioned off. We know where several prominent franchises and studios are going but we simply have no idea on where the WWE video games license has found as a home.

What we do know is that a new company will definitely be publishing WWE games starting immediately. The Twitterverse is abuzz with rumors that either of both EA and Take Two have bought the license -- and it would stand to reason that one side of the other is correct. The WWE was owed $45 million from THQ when the company went under, so most likely WWE will be looking for a stable and somewhat wealthier business partner this time around.

The status of a WWE game for 2013 will depend upon how the new publisher approaches WWE video games. If the publisher starts from scratch, there may not be another WWE game on the market for at least a year or two.

Requests for confirmation out of either EA or 2K have been returned with no comments as of this writing. I'll update this space as soon as any real news breaks.

Update #1: A formal court document shows that WWE's license was NOT auctioned off in the sale of THQ's assets. This tends to indicate WWE cancelled their licensing deal with THQ and has shopped or is shopping their property unilaterally.

Update #2: A source from 2K has confirmed that the company will be acquiring the WWE games license. IGN is also reporting this story on their site.

Game: WWE 13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
WWE 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 TjJunior @ 01/24/13 11:58 AM
They work well as a duo, would have liked to see them work together again.

# 82 dochalladay32 @ 01/24/13 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjJunior
Ea created the engine for def jam vendetta and fight for ny. the way they handle madden makes folks lose faith in all the other development teams i guess. i think 2k will make a decent game, but look at fight night and look at prizefighter. ea has the wrestling engine, ill even go as far as to say they will have excellent graphics. 2k would most likely have to build from the ground up. the appeal of instant success may sway the wwe if its not too late. im gonna get it either way most likely.
The deal is done. And I'm sure WWE took that and many other things under consideration.

# 83 ImaGamer_OS @ 01/24/13 01:08 PM
"THIS IS AWSESOME!"

# 84 Jazzin @ 01/24/13 01:22 PM
Now wrestling fans will know what it's like to have 2K character customization. All the options THQ gave you with the tattoos, hair, and clothes will no doubt become the pitiful "customization" that the NBA 2K has had for the past 5 years!

No joke, in the past 5 years, they have added one new hair style....

# 85 SavoyPrime @ 01/24/13 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFan
Hopefully they get rid of Yukes and bring in syn Sophia (AKI = WWF No Mercy) to make WWE games great again.
I'm glad to see someone else supporting the fantastic AKI engine. WWF No Mercy and Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 are still the best wrestling games of all-time in my opinion.

# 86 DBMcGee3 @ 01/24/13 03:14 PM
Servers will still suck most likely, but I'm ok with 2k for the most part, or at least their NBA game.

# 87 Majingir @ 01/24/13 03:16 PM
Why do people think that just because a company made great games in the past(like 10+ years ago) they can suddenly make great games again?(I'm referring to the AKI/syn sophia company).

Nintendo made great games in the 90s, does that mean that they're the best today? Times change, people in the company change, and so many variables change. Having success in the past doesn't mean they'll have success in the present or future. Besides, that company hasn't come out with any north american game for a console since 2004....

# 88 Brian_OS @ 01/24/13 03:20 PM
I remember meeting the THQ guys at E3 with the OS crew,, They were the nicest company there and fed us some grub!

I hope they find employment soon.

# 89 nowayout47 @ 01/24/13 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OS
I remember meeting the THQ guys at E3 with the OS crew,, They were the nicest company there and fed us some grub!

I hope they find employment soon.
Agreed. They might not put out the greatest product but they are still human and they need money too!

# 90 Majingir @ 01/24/13 04:00 PM
Another positive of 2K over EA for WWE game....

Look at EAs most recent roster update for NHL. Guys who were sent to minors(in real life), were released from the teams altogether(in the game), half the game is filled with generic faces, and there's players who retired years ago,who are still in this game.

# 91 philliesfan136 @ 01/24/13 04:32 PM
Fun fact:

# 92 JazzMan @ 01/24/13 04:38 PM
I really don't know why people say 2k's servers suck. They're really not that bad. They can have their bad spots, but they're better than THQ's servers by far.

# 93 Majingir @ 01/24/13 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan136
Fun fact:

That's cause for the most part,WWE was their only real profitable game. It's not like WWE is reason they're dead. Look at all the sales WWE games get. This is the first time WWE is going to a company where WWE won't be the game they're known for, meaning the company isn't just settling for an average game release.

# 94 elgreazy1 @ 01/24/13 04:52 PM
Great news for 2K sports fans. We are all awaiting 2Ks return to the football field and the acquisition of the WWE series could signal 2K beefing back up their sports departments - or stretching there resources too thin. Regardless, it at least shows 2K is willing to wheel and deal.

# 95 philliesfan136 @ 01/24/13 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
That's cause for the most part,WWE was their only real profitable game. It's not like WWE is reason they're dead. Look at all the sales WWE games get. This is the first time WWE is going to a company where WWE won't be the game they're known for, meaning the company isn't just settling for an average game release.
That wasn't me criticizing those companies, I just thought it was interesting and figured I'd post it.

If it's an improvement in some way with better career/Universe modes, I'm all for the next WWE game. I've liked WWE '12 and '13 a lot but seeing 2K take over seems like a good thing considering they've done a good job with the NBA series and decent with the MLB series.

# 96 bigbob @ 01/24/13 05:33 PM
The only companies on the last that, IMO, had more then two good games that weren't wrestling is Acclaim, THQ and Sculptured Software.

All the other ones were dead before they were alive.

# 97 CaptainZombie @ 01/24/13 11:33 PM
I'm just a little surprised that there is no official statement yet that 2K is taking over on the WWE license. I really hope they do move WWE 13 servers to their own, because THQ's are absolute garbage.

# 98 philliesfan136 @ 01/25/13 02:24 AM
How it might look different had some others got the license:

Pretty cool.

# 99 Matty Aqua @ 01/25/13 06:31 AM
I think 2k is perfect for wrestling games!

# 100 jreezy18 @ 01/25/13 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
2K getting this license is positive on 2 counts. Firstly I believe 2K will deliver a better product than EA. Secondly it helps ease some of the concerns that 2K themselves were on their way out.
There were reports of 2K being on its way out? That's hard to believe.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.