Home
WWE 13 News Post

As of this afternoon, THQ as a company has been dissolved and all of it's licenses and properties have been auctioned off. We know where several prominent franchises and studios are going but we simply have no idea on where the WWE video games license has found as a home.

What we do know is that a new company will definitely be publishing WWE games starting immediately. The Twitterverse is abuzz with rumors that either of both EA and Take Two have bought the license -- and it would stand to reason that one side of the other is correct. The WWE was owed $45 million from THQ when the company went under, so most likely WWE will be looking for a stable and somewhat wealthier business partner this time around.

The status of a WWE game for 2013 will depend upon how the new publisher approaches WWE video games. If the publisher starts from scratch, there may not be another WWE game on the market for at least a year or two.

Requests for confirmation out of either EA or 2K have been returned with no comments as of this writing. I'll update this space as soon as any real news breaks.

Update #1: A formal court document shows that WWE's license was NOT auctioned off in the sale of THQ's assets. This tends to indicate WWE cancelled their licensing deal with THQ and has shopped or is shopping their property unilaterally.

Update #2: A source from 2K has confirmed that the company will be acquiring the WWE games license. IGN is also reporting this story on their site.

Game: WWE 13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
WWE 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 RocketTMac1 @ 02/01/13 03:21 PM
If a title is released it won't be an arcade type game. It will probably be a WWE'13 remake with a better roster.

I don't expect 2K to do anything huge until the next generation of consoles.

# 142 King_B_Mack @ 02/02/13 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePlayinSerb
ok common sense time, take 2 had financial problems before the release of gta 4 most likely cause they funded that project, as soon as gta 4 released problem solved, sooooooooo we're talking about a financial problem that happened years ago, they clearly arn't going anywhere anytime soon
Funny you should mention common sense. In regards to the context of the conversation Take Two was in financial trouble and near going bankrupt themselves as the original point was made. You said there was no validity to that rumor when in fact it was not a rumor but it was a fact that they WERE in fact in trouble themselves. Obviously they aren't now, but nobody said they were in trouble now.

# 143 Majingir @ 02/06/13 10:09 AM

# 144 King_B_Mack @ 02/06/13 10:17 AM
WWE License will only add to that.

Now take some of that money and make a damn College Basketball game please.

# 145 King_B_Mack @ 02/06/13 01:04 PM
Quote:
no you're wrong, cause it all started when someone said they thought take 2 was on the brink of bankruptcy, when IN FACT IT WAS OLD NEWS
*Sigh*

I shouldn't have to do this, but okay, we'll go through this slowly and from the start so you get where this is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
2K getting this license is positive on 2 counts. Firstly I believe 2K will deliver a better product than EA. Secondly it helps ease some of the concerns that 2K themselves were on their way out.
Clearly this is someone who isn't up on Take Two's current financial situation and is remembering reports of their near demise at the hands of EA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreezy18
There were reports of 2K being on its way out? That's hard to believe.
Here is a person who clearly never even heard about that news or remembers it at least.

Quote:
take 2 interactive is the parent company, they have grand theft auto series, i highly doubt that rumor has any validity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_Interactive

look at the games they have, thats a formidable line up if you ask me
Here is you listing their catalogue of games and saying there's no validity to the rumor and not actually resolving the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Before 2K was putting up record numbers with Michael Jordan, Take Two wasn't doing that well outside of Rockstar's GTA franchise. Things were to the point that they were nearly acquired by Electronic Arts. This was all just prior to the release of GTA IV. GTA, Red Dead, 2K 11, 12, 13, Borderlands have helped Take Two get to where they are now. It wasn't a rumor that they were on the way out, it was actually a fact confirmed by EA and Take Two themselves.
Here I am resolving said situation by explaining that there was a point in time, a few short years ago that they were indeed on the way out and were very close to being acquired by another company and finishing off the concerns by explaining that those games as you listed have put the company in the good financial shape they are currently in and not in danger of going out themselves.

Quote:
so what thats way old news, not pertaining to the present
Here you are having that post fly right over your head.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the guy said 2K and there has been concern about 2K Sports going bye-bye with them dwindling down their roster of games to just NBA 2K in the last few years. The only reason they're releasing a baseball game this year is because MLB is basically making them.

# 146 Majingir @ 02/06/13 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
WWE License will only add to that.
Exactly. WWE 13 sold about 1.9M copies so far(new copies I believe). At $60 each, that's like 114M. I know abit of it goes to the stores selling it, and some goes to WWE,and other goes to paying people who made the game and stuff. But over 100M from a video game is huge.

# 147 threattonature @ 02/10/13 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Exactly. WWE 13 sold about 1.9M copies so far(new copies I believe). At $60 each, that's like 114M. I know abit of it goes to the stores selling it, and some goes to WWE,and other goes to paying people who made the game and stuff. But over 100M from a video game is huge.
I think a LARGE number of the sales came during black friday when the game was $20. It sold out at Wal-Marts all over the country as well as on Amazon and one or two other spots. So I think that total amount of money made is skewed a little high.

# 148 dochalladay32 @ 02/10/13 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threattonature
I think a LARGE number of the sales came during black friday when the game was $20. It sold out at Wal-Marts all over the country as well as on Amazon and one or two other spots. So I think that total amount of money made is skewed a little high.
It was $25, but I was going to say the same thing.

Also, you assumed they get $60 per game, which is false. No way a store would pay $60 for it only to sell it for $60. THQ gets a fraction of that price as retailers buy in bulk. And then you have to factor out running costs.

# 149 SGrimmas @ 02/11/13 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
It was $25, but I was going to say the same thing.

Also, you assumed they get $60 per game, which is false. No way a store would pay $60 for it only to sell it for $60. THQ gets a fraction of that price as retailers buy in bulk. And then you have to factor out running costs.
I am a manager at a retail store, he buy our video games at like 55 dollars and sell at 60.

# 150 dochalladay32 @ 02/11/13 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrimmas
I am a manager at a retail store, he buy our video games at like 55 dollars and sell at 60.
I know Walmart doesn't pay $55 a copy. You probably work at a small retail store and I doubt they buy the amount places like Walmart and Amazon buy, which is why they can get away with selling large quantities for $25 on Black Friday. They aren't taking the same hit a small retailer would cutting the price down that much. Granted, a small store also would only have a few copies vs. thousands of copies across the country for the big guys.

# 151 King_B_Mack @ 02/13/13 12:54 PM
I wonder what the hold up with this deal is already? Would be nice to have official word on what's going to happen with the license instead of assuming it's 2K because of "sources" and it may not even be the case.

# 152 PVarck31 @ 02/13/13 06:51 PM
From Wrestlezone

Quote:
Take-Two Interactive, the parent company responsible for iconic video games titles such as Bioshock, Borderlands, Grand Theft Auto and 2K Sports, has officially acquired the rights to WWE's video game series, after THQ declared bankruptcy earlier this year.

Take-Two, and more specifically their 2K Sports line, was the leading company in line to take over WWE and Yuke's contracts, and have made deals to hire former THQ employees responsible for past WWE games, as to avoid further contract issues and legal settlements between WWE and THQ.

# 153 SmashMan @ 02/13/13 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
From Wrestlezone
Wrestlezone actually links to a Bloomberg article too. Might as well go original source on this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-from-thq.html

# 154 PVarck31 @ 02/13/13 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Wrestlezone actually links to a Bloomberg article too. Might as well go original source on this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-from-thq.html
Much better article.

Did I read correctly that Yukes is out?

# 155 The GIGGAS @ 02/13/13 07:26 PM
Quote:
Much better article.

Did I read correctly that Yukes is out?
This article seems to imply that Yukes will still make it:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/13/398...-two-yukes-thq

Quote:
Pending the court's approval of the agreement, Take-Two will publish future WWE video games that will be developed by Yuke's, which made THQ-published WWE titles for more than a decade.

# 156 TracerBullet @ 02/13/13 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
This article seems to imply that Yukes will still make it:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/13/398...-two-yukes-thq
...and then the majority of people here became sad again.

# 157 PVarck31 @ 02/13/13 08:13 PM
So basically this changes nothing.

# 158 Cubfan @ 02/13/13 08:15 PM
Quote:
Yeah pretty much sounds like WWE wants a game out each year. Looks like we are stuck with Yukes.

# 159 DJ @ 02/13/13 10:06 PM
Quote:
Yep. In a way, though, that's not entirely bad. WWE 13 does some good things. 2K can maybe guide Yukes to further expand upon Universe and modes like Attitude Era, while also making simulation changes to gameplay.

I'd be more concerned if 2K had to start from ground zero.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.