Home
News Post

You've almost certainly heard the news by now, Electronic Arts has been named the worst company in America for the second year in a row by Consumerist. EA managed to 'best' Bank of America, yes that same BAC that helped nearly bring down the entire US economy in 2008, in the championship round.

Consumerist cited three key areas where EA failed to improve in the last year: 1)providing a product people want and like, 2)sell products at a reasonable price and 3)support the products you sell.

EA COO Peter Moore had this to say, "I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this."

Of course, Moore also had something else to say, "In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America."

So, apparently, EA is officially the worst company in America, but not because of what they have done to anger customers in the first place, but because people simply are homophobic and want to prove a political point.

Of course, it's also because people just don't like the Madden cover choice, "We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL," Moore wrote to Consumerist.

As for those pink elephants in the room? Oh don't mind them, they are just there for decoration.

What do you think about EA being named the worst company in America for a second year in a row? Does it 'deserve' the honor over the other companies at the top of the list like Comcast and Bank of America? Sound off!

Member Comments
# 81 roadman @ 04/12/13 12:54 PM
Bucky, MLB2k13 is just a roster update this year with no improvements.

It should be villified as Madden is, but they probably get a pass because of the NBA game and living off the past with the NFL game.

This part isn't directed at anyone, but I just don't think of EA when it comes to naming worst company. Video gaming is a hobby to me, I can turn it on and off anytime I want.

What I can't turn off is buying gas and buying products in everyday life that my family needs, not something that is just a hobby to me.

I guess it's all subjective on how you look at life, like this poll is subjective.

# 82 swiftychampleone @ 04/12/13 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli
I think being the "Worst Company in America" precludes going out of business. True badness endures and spreads. Let's keep in mind that this is a Consumerist poll. To win, you have to anger a lot of customers, which is only possible if you have a lot of customers. The Worst Company isn't judged on the basis of revenue, but from the perspective of people who buy or consider buying their products.
Yeah, but it just trips me out how everyone bashes them when they'll buy their products regardless. Says me who gets pissed at Wal-Mart and continues shops there.

# 83 Fresh Tendrils @ 04/12/13 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I guess, using some critical thinking, and taking more from the unscientific poll then just taking it at face value, like Mr, Moore's comments and why EA would do so poorly in even an unscientific poll. If all you get out or the poll and Mr Moore's comments is "EA really isn't the worst company in America", your missing the point of the thread, and the article associated with the poll. Other companies have nothing to do with EA being a good or bad company. Other companies have nothing to do with Mr. Moore's attitude displayed in the article.
Then discuss his comments and stop bringing up your raging want for a NFL game that meets your arbitrary standards.

The point of this thread - correction, my point in this thread, is how ridiculous the results of the poll is and the fact that people think EA's bad reputation in video-game land is a means to justify EA being voted over the likes of Wal-Mart, Monsanto, etc. I personally could give two ****s what Moore says or does in response to this poll. Reflection of the company and its culture, sure, but to give this poll anymore meaning than its face value is ridiculous to me.

I understand EA is not perfect and a company its size will have a angry, vocal base following it around. My whole point in all of this is that EA does not deserve to be voted the Worst company in America because there are other legitimate candidates who desperately need the exposure. But leave it to the internet and its hyperbole blowers to take an opportunity and squander it on the basis of fan boy panty twisting.

Quote:
And if they put out sub-par/buggy products, consumers have every right to be dissatisfied and every right to say the company that produced those products are bad for consumers.

So what's your point? This says absolutely nothing about EA or Mr. Moore's comments in the article.
What is your point? My reply was to his statement about other things not having as passionate of a fan base as sports - which is simply not true.

Anyway, enjoy. I've already given this silly poll enough weight as it is.

# 84 roadman @ 04/12/13 01:43 PM
Quote:
You're posting on a sports video game forum. About a company that produces sports video games. You are missing the point of the thread if you just take the poll at face value.

Would the poll make any difference if was posted on cnn.com only?

If the poll says, worst company in America, I don't care where it's posted, I'm looking at the overall picture, worst company in America.

In fact, I did a search on cnn.com and put in the title, EA is worst company in America. Not one news story about this poll. Why is that?

I go under EA's newsorthy articles under their stock page and it shows nothing????

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=EA

# 85 Fresh Tendrils @ 04/12/13 02:02 PM
Quote:
I do care where it's posted. I would take a different perspective on a news forum. But we are on a video game forum that is highly influenced by Madden and EA/Tib. If the poll had BOA, it wouldn't even be posted on OS. And if the article with Mr. Moore's statements accompanied the poll, I would still be appalled by a company's high ranking official making such irresponsible statements and be very Leary of said company.

# 86 noshun @ 04/12/13 02:05 PM
At some point in this thread I had to stop reading the bickering back and forth...

EA won the award 2 years in a row, Peter said some things... let's just see if EA is going to improve their products, catering to what fans have been asking for for years, and if they do things to change the perception they have garnered.

Me.. im not hopeful after QA'n their products, emailing their CEO's & devs, and seeing the same issues I had emailed about years ago, still in their games today, or games that got canceled before release.. hint hint..

I forgot to add that since that email, I don't own any EA developed or published game at all. If I see improvement I may buy used, but for now I'll stick to their demos...

# 87 roadman @ 04/12/13 02:07 PM
Quote:
I do care where it's posted. I would take a different perspective on a news forum. But we are on a video game forum that is highly influenced by Madden and EA/Tib. If the poll had BOA, it wouldn't even be posted on OS. And if the article with Mr. Moore's statements accompanied the poll, I would still be appalled by a company's high ranking official making such irresponsible statements and be very Leary of said company.
My point is, the title encompasses the word America.

It's a biased award. The article below states that is why mainstream sites didn't publish the results.

This is the best article, yet on the whole subject. He is a gamer journalist, and wrote the article for Forbes magazine.

He says repeatedly that EA doesn't deserve the crown and it's a biased poll, but he also hammers away at EA for their practices and policies.

Well balanced article that I'm getting behind, exactly the way I feel.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...america-again/

# 88 jeremym480 @ 04/12/13 02:32 PM
Quote:
I don't have MLB2K13. But still use MLB2k12 when I'm at the computer. Bought last years The Show well after release at a great discount cause I heard such good things about it. I'll only buy PC games unless the game ONLY comes out on a console. I like The Show, especially the deeper financials.
And how are those deeper financials working for you this year?

Oh wait, they were removed. I guess EA isn't the only company that takes away features.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

# 89 jeremym480 @ 04/12/13 03:05 PM
Quote:
I don't have this years The Show. Only going by last years. You have this years? How's the rest of the game? Arcady and Buggy, like Madden?
Well, before the second patch the CPU pitchers through a meatball right down the center of the plate at the beginning of every inning and also when a reliever was brought in. Also the sim stats were completely wack. Starting pitchers would have 30 k's at the end if the year, lowest ERA's were in the 5's, etc, etc.

Most everything was fixed after the first patch, which came almost a month after release. However, there's still problems such as only certain rookies are being correctly recognized in franchise, therefore your Rookie of the Year could end up hitting .225 with 5 HR's.

Other than that the game plays like a dream offline. Online from what I've read is as bad as it's ever been. Well, unless you enjoy having the game freeze whenever you bring in a relief pitcher. I'm not sure what other problems it has online because that's not something I play.

Oh and to give you the answer you were fishing for... even with all those bugs The Show still is a better game than Madden. That still doesn't make EA the worst company in America. Worst video game company? Maybe, but even that's debatable.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

# 90 rootofalleli @ 04/12/13 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
It is a niche though. Sports gaming itself is a niche that doesn't move big numbers (unless you include Wii sports and Mario kart, which are more party games than sports games.). Then you take that small market and narrow it down to on fans of American Football. In the grand scale of video games, it doesn't really matter much. Madden could disappear and the game world wouldn't miss a beat.

It just gets over sensationalized here (along with everything else here, we don't have a nickname of overreaction sports for nothing) due to the very nature of this forum, that was founded on sports gaming.
The Madden franchise has done pretty well. It's taken a while, but according to Wikipedia it's one of the best-selling franchises of all time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ame_franchises). I'd call turn-based strategy games and text-only sports sims a niche market, for sure. I don't think Madden is like that, unless you're calling everything below the scale of Halo, CoD, WoW, Starcraft, GTA, Mario, and Pokemon a "niche game." Also, I can find Madden titles in the annual top 10 sellers of a few recent years.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...#slide=1970545
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Games-of-2011
http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/01/...-games-of-2010

There certainly is a difference between the sales of the #1 game and the #7 game, but Madden still seems bigger than nearly everything else out there, for what it's worth. I'm not sure why we're discussing this, however =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Yeah, but it just trips me out how everyone bashes them when they'll buy their products regardless. Says me who gets pissed at Wal-Mart and continues shops there.
I guess being the one of the few providers of a product is part of what irritates people. When you search for a flight and realize that you will have to pick an airline with hefty baggage fees, when you look for an item and the only retailer that has it in your area is Walmart, when you want to play an NFL game...

# 91 roadman @ 04/12/13 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli

I guess being the one of the few providers of a product is part of what irritates people. When you search for a flight and realize that you will have to pick an airline with hefty baggage fees, when you look for an item and the only retailer that has it in your area is Walmart, when you want to play an NFL game...
This here is a great point and what I've been emphazing in the thread.

It all depends where all this ranks in the priorities of your everday life.

# 92 Jimbo614 @ 04/12/13 08:42 PM
1) Even if you disagree with the reasons or causes, It can't be good being referred to as TWCiA.
2) This LGBT comment strikes me as odd. So does this mean EA will stop having LGBT Characters??? And exactly how will THAT bit of news go over in the media? If you think things were bad this year, just wait until this little comment gets out.
3) To me, its a toss up between EA and Clear Channel.
4) Notice how quickly EA goes into Spin Cycle? Practice makes Perfect, I always say...

# 93 dickey1331 @ 04/12/13 08:51 PM
I think this poll really shows why things are the way they are today. A video game company voted the worst company in the world. SMH

# 94 roadman @ 04/13/13 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo614
1) Even if you disagree with the reasons or causes, It can't be good being referred to as TWCiA.
I'd agree with you if it was reported by mainstream media. It's not, so, that's why I'm taking the TWCIA with a grain of salt. Even one game journalist referred to it as a biased poll.

Does EA deserved to be talked about? Absolutely. There are plenty of reasons they should be in the poll, but not TWCIA.

# 95 TreFacTor @ 04/13/13 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

You've almost certainly heard the news by now, Electronic Arts has been named the worst company in America for the second year in a row by Consumerist. EA managed to 'best' Bank of America, yes that same BAC that helped nearly bring down the entire US economy in 2008, in the championship round.

Consumerist cited three key areas where EA failed to improve in the last year: 1)providing a product people want and like, 2)sell products at a reasonable price and 3)support the products you sell.

EA COO Peter Moore had this to say, "I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this."

Of course, Moore also had something else to say, "In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America."

So, apparently, EA is officially the worst company in America, but not because of what they have done to anger customers in the first place, but because people simply are homophobic and want to prove a political point.

Of course, it's also because people just don't like the Madden cover choice, "We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL," Moore wrote to Consumerist.

As for those pink elephants in the room? Oh don't mind them, they are just there for decoration.

What do you think about EA being named the worst company in America for a second year in a row? Does it 'deserve' the honor over the other companies at the top of the list like Comcast and Bank of America? Sound off!
"So, apparently, EA is officially the worst company in America, but not because of what they have done to anger customers in the first place, but because people simply are homophobic and want to prove a political point.

"

No Mr. Moore, your company is a bad company because it lies...not just big fat "I'm trying to save the company and it's employees" types of lies.. juts lies for the sake of lying...For instance.

http://www.gamechup.com/ea-refuses-t...s-account-ban/

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...4489487254341/

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/16/me...ice-violation/

EA deserves every bit of bad press it receives because they simply don't care about their consumers. You are not LGBT, white, dark, male or female...your an account number and a dollar sign. EA says one thing and does the complete opposite. That's just on a customer service level...let's not throw in bad games and terrible launches on top of that.

Just Mr. Moore's response to the situation in it's entirety is a prime example of how out of touch EA is. EA is it's own universe we should simply be pleased they even exist at all is the impression I get from most of the high ups at EA, and that same personality infects every crevice of the company and spreads like a cancer to the devs and onto the games. Yes a company's main priority is to make money, but do you have to literally walk on peasants (consumers) to do that anymore? When EA stops treating their customers like binary code and telemetry numbers, the reputation of company will change...I don't think any of us will live to see the day.

# 96 pietasterp @ 04/13/13 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
I think this poll really shows why things are the way they are today. A video game company voted the worst company in the world. SMH
Well, keep in mind that this wasn't a Wall Street Journal or CNN poll or something like that...it's not like this poll is representative of the U.S. populace and their opinions. I wouldn't read too much into it.

# 97 sketchy1 @ 04/14/13 02:58 PM
worst gaming company ever? probably

worst company in america? not even in the top 100. there are probably hundreds if not thousands of companies that do far more evil than good. EA doesn't do good, but to say they are evil is insane, so i'll say that any evil company is far worse for america than EA.

# 98 Aranor @ 04/19/13 12:18 PM
Congrats EA on your failure to communicate with your consumers. It's what happens when a company continues to fail at expectations year in year out.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.