Home
News Post

You've almost certainly heard the news by now, Electronic Arts has been named the worst company in America for the second year in a row by Consumerist. EA managed to 'best' Bank of America, yes that same BAC that helped nearly bring down the entire US economy in 2008, in the championship round.

Consumerist cited three key areas where EA failed to improve in the last year: 1)providing a product people want and like, 2)sell products at a reasonable price and 3)support the products you sell.

EA COO Peter Moore had this to say, "I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this."

Of course, Moore also had something else to say, "In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America."

So, apparently, EA is officially the worst company in America, but not because of what they have done to anger customers in the first place, but because people simply are homophobic and want to prove a political point.

Of course, it's also because people just don't like the Madden cover choice, "We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL," Moore wrote to Consumerist.

As for those pink elephants in the room? Oh don't mind them, they are just there for decoration.

What do you think about EA being named the worst company in America for a second year in a row? Does it 'deserve' the honor over the other companies at the top of the list like Comcast and Bank of America? Sound off!

Member Comments
# 41 tariq071 @ 04/11/13 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Consumer rights? If EA was forcing people into their games then maybe, but when the consumer has the ability to chose whether or not they want to use EA's services and products I don't see how they're infringing on anything.
I have private business , small but still got one. If i try to do any of that , government(or whoever) would close my shop long time ago in a heartbeat...And even if they don't i'll get sued left and right.

And, in a way they are forcing consumers (again in a way) where else you can get football game or hockey, for example? That's all what i buy from them(and i am still honest about it , since i buy it new), while i'm avoiding Origin like a plague.

When consumer buys their product , he doesn't sign on to be treated like a sheep or being called homophobes.It's a business and both side have rights.Something that most (if not all ) gaming companies are ignoring it nowdays.

Again, it still doesn't beat BoA taking away homes from people thru falsified mortgage documents, but it's multimillion dollar business with completely shady operations model and they deserve at least to be there on that poll.

# 42 jeremym480 @ 04/11/13 03:28 PM
This poll only proves to me how screwed up our priorities are. There's companies out there taking people's money, destroying their credit, others are in pain and even losing their lives because of healthcare.... yet, a company that simply makes video games for a hobby is the worst? GTFO

I would be interested in seeing a similar poll on a site like CNN. I bet EA wouldn't even make it in the Top 10. I prefer to think that a bunch of booger eaters, living in their mom's basement stuffed the ballots, rather that us being this pathetic as a society.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

# 43 DaveDQ @ 04/11/13 04:10 PM
In his written response, Moore throws all these numbers out there on how many people are registered on Origin to tens of millions playing "free-to-play" games. I actually like some of his philosophies, but he has this thing with always referring to stats. He did this with EA Sports and always referenced the metacritic scores on Madden, claiming that showed the game was above average.

However, if he can do that then he should also be able to reference the fact that the company was voted the worst. By no means do I think EA is the worst company out there, but they certainly are under-performing.

# 44 Fresh Tendrils @ 04/11/13 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Both EA and the NFL are keeping me from what I really want because EA was asking for an exclusive license before it became exclusive. People have posted actual emails form high ranking EA officials stating just this. They are both at fault. I blame both for no competition. And EA /Tib is entirely responsible for the game that they produce.

Still doesn't excuse EA/Tib for misleading marketing and producing a very sub par product.
Misleading marketing? Actually, if you guys want to talk about "rights" it is their right as a business to produce their own product however they want with whatever stipulations they want. Subpar product? Since this is wholly focused on Madden (again a small drop in the bucket) I can't say I have any experience with the quality of the product, but that's their right to do so. And it keeps selling so there must be more right than not.

Regardless, it makes them neither a bad nor good company in the context of this poll.

Quote:
Isn't that the whole point. The poll has meaning because it's getting publicity. Enough for someone in Peter Moore's position to feel they have to address it. And he did a really poor job of addressing it. The poll had enough impact to get EA's attention.

With enough bad publicity, even with a psuede-monopoly, sales numbers potentially can decrease enough to make a difference.
SimCity's launch. That is bad publicity. This poll? It'll be forgotten by the mass media consumers by tonight. Its making its rounds across the media, but that doesn't mean anything. There will be a number of people who won't even know who EA is and for the majority of people that do know they'll simply laugh at how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Quote:
They are the only ones producing an NFL video game. They did request to have an exclusive license. They have fallen very short on producing a good, realistic NFL video game. So I say they are keeping me from having a good, realistic NFL video game. People have the right to be unhappy with that. People have the right to be unhappy with the misleading marketing. People have the right to be unhappy with the "remove this feature, add it back in a couple of years as new". EA/Tib is responsible for the state that Madden is in. EA is responsible for the Business model they choose to deploy. If they produced a better (and much more realistic) product (madden) I wouldn't have a problem with EA/Tib. But they have pretty much screwgied this entire console gen.
Being unhappy with a company's product or service and thinking they're the worst company in the world aren't directly related. At least they shouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq071
I have private business , small but still got one. If i try to do any of that , government(or whoever) would close my shop long time ago in a heartbeat...And even if they don't i'll get sued left and right.

And, in a way they are forcing consumers (again in a way) where else you can get football game or hockey, for example? That's all what i buy from them(and i am still honest about it , since i buy it new), while i'm avoiding Origin like a plague.
In a way or not they aren't forcing you. Buy it or don't. That is your option as a consumer. No option would be if it was required by law to purchase a football video game every year, but that obviously isn't the case.

What rights of the consumer is EA infringing upon?

# 45 rootofalleli @ 04/11/13 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
This poll only proves to me how screwed up our priorities are. There's companies out there taking people's money, destroying their credit, others are in pain and even losing their lives because of healthcare.... yet, a company that simply makes video games for a hobby is the worst? GTFO

I would be interested in seeing a similar poll on a site like CNN. I bet EA wouldn't even make it in the Top 10. I prefer to think that a bunch of booger eaters, living in their mom's basement stuffed the ballots, rather that us being this pathetic as a society.

EA doesn't get a free pass for being in the right industry. That belief is part of the problem. "You paid your $60 and you have a game that didn't set your computer on fire, pizza face - STFU and go watch Buffy reruns if you're not happy. Or get some fresh air!" It's sad that some of us are encouraging EA to roll its eyes at people who want value for their money. An entertainment company doesn't get to be bad just because it's not a health care provider, bank, or airline.

For the rest of the "dollars > everything" crowd, sales numbers don't mean a company is making customers happy. They mean instead that a company is making good economic decisions. Sometimes people eat at the closest restaurant, even if it's bad. Sometimes people watch the latest CSI spinoff or go out to see another Transformers sequel, just to have something to do. Uninspired entertainment can obviously sell, but should it? Why shout people down when they ask for something better?

# 46 jeremym480 @ 04/11/13 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli
EA doesn't get a free pass for being in the right industry. That belief is part of the problem. "You paid your $60 and you have a game that didn't set your computer on fire, pizza face - STFU and go watch Buffy reruns if you're not happy. Or get some fresh air!" It's sad that some of us are encouraging EA to roll its eyes at people who want value for their money. An entertainment company doesn't get to be bad just because it's not a health care provider, bank, or airline.

For the rest of the "dollars > everything" crowd, sales numbers don't mean a company is making customers happy. They mean instead that a company is making good economic decisions. Sometimes people eat at the closest restaurant, even if it's bad. Sometimes people watch the latest CSI spinoff or go out to see another Transformers sequel, just to have something to do. Uninspired entertainment can obviously sell, but should it? Why shout people down when they ask for something better?
Who's giving them a pass? I thought Madden 13 (game play wise) was the worse Madden this gen. I appreciated the effort in adding CCM, but it has so many features cut out and so many bugs that I actually preferred the ancient franchise mode of Madden's past. I enjoy NCAA, but it's stale too.

Both football games could use massive upgrades in almost every area. But, you know what? Even if they keep dishing out the same subpar product year after year and nickel and diming us to death, EA still wouldn't get my vote for worse company in America. Maybe it's because I'm in my 30's, but a video game in never going to matter that much to me.

# 47 Fresh Tendrils @ 04/11/13 04:41 PM
This wasn't a Customer Satisfaction poll. The topic was "worst company in the world" and the internet responded with its typical hyperbole.

How EA beats out companies like Comcast or Verizon - companies that knowingly does (and has been proven to do) shady **** worse than this. Not to mention how completely helpless their customer service typically is.

# 48 ubernoob @ 04/11/13 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
This wasn't a Customer Satisfaction poll. The topic was "worst company in the world" and the internet responded with its typical hyperbole.

How EA beats out companies like Comcast or Verizon - companies that knowingly does (and has been proven to do) shady **** worse than this. Not to mention how completely helpless their customer service typically is.
I'd vote for EA before I voted for Verizon or Comcast. I'm pleased with my services from both of those, and any time I've had to call or deal with people from them they've been awesome. Maybe I'm just lucky.

# 49 jeremym480 @ 04/11/13 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
I'd vote for EA before I voted for Verizon or Comcast. I'm pleased with my services from both of those, and any time I've had to call or deal with people from them they've been awesome. Maybe I'm just lucky.
I've had Verizon for 10 years and I've never really had a problem with them. Although I think that they're "sign two year agreements or pay double for a new phone" is worse than EA's Online Pass stuff.

Personally, THQ is worse than EA in my opinion. At least we don't have to pay to create a player and rate them how we want.

Also (customer service wise) Avis Flowers did me a lot dirtier than EA ever has. My order was more expensive than any video game too. However, I do not think that they're the worst company in America.

# 50 swiftychampleone @ 04/11/13 05:32 PM
Quote:
Why should someone be forced to use their servers? Why should I be forced to use any servers with a single user franchise sports game mode.
You don't have to. Which Tariq explained. I don't care about online gaming, either and just like you I want that full blown out Franchise Mode.

# 51 swiftychampleone @ 04/11/13 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli

But in a way it does. It's like bashing your girlfriend/wife constantly and moaning about how unhappy you are with her but you're STILL with her. If people don't buy the games, it'll speak volumes. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying something that I'm not happy with.

# 52 Fresh Tendrils @ 04/11/13 06:55 PM
Quote:
If that's all you're getting out of this. Then you are just completely missing the boat.
Nah, I understand, but the boat looks pretty leaky so I'll pass.

# 53 CM Hooe @ 04/11/13 07:27 PM
Quote:
If she's the only girl on the planet you might.
This metaphor fails because Madden isn't the only video game that exists. Wikipedia lists 962 boxed releases for the XBOX 360 and 584 games released on XBOX Live Arcade.

With respect to the exclusivity agreement, any other company in EA's position in 2005 would have done the exact same thing.

# 54 CM Hooe @ 04/11/13 09:31 PM
Quote:
It's the only NFL video game. The metaphor stands.
A rather obstinate stance to take. Don't EA's video games - whether the genre be sports, shooters, RPGs, MMOs, simulations, etc. - necessarily compete with any other video game released by any other publisher for market share and sales?

If the answer to that question is "yes" (spoiler: the answer to that question is in-fact "yes"), then one can't begin to say that a consumer has no other options with regard to whether to purchase Madden. There are other video games one may buy, no one is forcing anyone to buy Madden, and the unfortunate fact that there's only one video game which may use NFL likenesses doesn't change any of the above.

Does the football exclusivity situation suck for the consumer? Sure. I enjoyed NFL 2K as much as anyone else, buggy career modes notwithstanding. However, EA isn't engaging in monopolistic behavior by participating in an exclusive arrangement for use of NFL properties any more than Activision is engaging in monopolistic behavior by participating in an exclusive arrangement for the use of the likeness of James Bond and anything related to the 007 franchise in video games.

To call EA the worst company in America solely on the basis of the NFL exclusivity arrangement and a video game one doesn't like is short-sighted at best.

# 55 roadman @ 04/11/13 10:32 PM
Based on some of the other forums here, I'm surprised BB and Walmart didn't win the award.

# 56 SHAKYR @ 04/12/13 12:10 AM
Fans are getting tired of EA love affair with arcadey and Casual fans priority games. Why do you think NBA Live keep failing to come out. They want to force an arcade game on fans and the fans refuse to accept what they are planning. EA doesn't listen to their fans, everything is predetermined.

# 57 ubernoob @ 04/12/13 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
Fans are getting tired of EA love affair with arcadey and Casual fans priority games. Why do you think NBA Live keep failing to come out. They want to force an arcade game on fans and the fans refuse to accept what they are planning. EA doesn't listen to their fans, everything is predetermined.
Madden sales numbers are still over 5 million. Not really tired, it's dropped a couple million.

Sports games aren't the moneymakers for game companies.

# 58 Fresh Tendrils @ 04/12/13 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKS240
That's the dumbest argument I've heard about used games. When people sell their used cars you don't see car manufactures coming out and saying hey we don't get no profit out of it. That's just BS wanna get paid twice for the same product
Aren't the stores reselling these games getting more money out of the same sold product?

# 59 ubernoob @ 04/12/13 09:38 AM
Quote:
Not when what I'm shopping for is an NFL Video game. Then it's not competing with anyone. My stance isn't obstinate in any way. My stance is REALISTIC. And I wish you wouldn't go and insult me like that, unfairly calling me obstinate.

: perversely adhering to an opinion, purpose, or course in spite of reason, arguments, or persuasion

I'm not the one bending reason to fit an agenda.

Fact. Madden is the only NFL Football Video game on the major consoles. True or False?

Fact. There is no NFL Football Video game competition on the major consoles for Madden. True or False?

That's not perversely adhering to an opinion. And not in spite of reason. That's just fact.
So you're saying because you dislike Mercedes Benz, that means the "boat is shaky" even though there are BMWs/Audi/etc. out there... Since everyone loves to use the used car analogy.

# 60 ubernoob @ 04/12/13 09:53 AM
Actually, using advertising rules... if they say they are the best they aren't required to prove it. If they say they are better than a certain company they have to get those facts verified.

My point is it has nothing to do with it. There are still plenty of very good games to play. If Madden was such a big issue that the sim crowd makes it out to be it wouldn't sell. Period. If you want change, make the money talk. I haven't bought Madden for years. I also don't whine about it incessantly (not directed at anyone in particular, but that forum is horrible in general.)

People buy it expecting that it's gonna change? It hasn't changed in the past... oh, countless years.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.