Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The NCAA has decided today, unilaterally it appears, to not renew their license with EA Sports for the NCAA Football video game beginning next year.

In the statement, the NCAA said, "The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA."

EA should still be able to work out individual school, conference, awards, etc. licenses from the CLC -- which should mean the series should be able to live on. At the end of the day, this is the NCAA taking it's name and logo off of the game, but nothing more it appears. So while the series can't be called "NCAA Football" anymore, perhaps with the ESPN license the series can be called "EA Sports College Gameday 15" next season.

The only way this ends the NCAA Football series altogether is if one of two further scenarios happen: 1)If EA Sports decides it is done with the series altogether, which is doubtful given it's a top seller in the US. 2)If the CLC won't play ball with EA Sports, and thus EA has to negotiate licenses individually from member institutions

It is possible EA Sports will not continue development of the game after this year because of either reason, or because of fears of financial fallout from the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit. However, there is no guarantee EA will face huge financial problems from the O'Bannon lawsuit, and in a sense -- the threat of the O'Bannon lawsuit ending the series is the same today as it was yesterday.

I EA wants to they can continue the game with purely cosmetic changes and greater creative freedom without the NCAA hovering above the game. And let's face it, the less the NCAA is involved in anything, the better it will be.

So in a sense, the only thing different today versus yesterday with regards to the NCAA Football series is that it is no longer the NCAA Football series going forward. Everything thing else remains the same.

UPDATE: Brett McMurphy of ESPN is reporting ESPN has been told EA Sports will still have a college football video game beyond 2014, next year's game will be called College Football 15.

UPDATE #2: According to ESPN's Sports Business reporter Darren Rovell the CLC, which handles school, bowl, awards, etc. licensing, says it plans to work with EA in the future despite the NCAA dropping out.

UPDATE #3: EA Sports Executive Vice President Andrew Wilson speaks. In a statement, Wilson said, "EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans."

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 herruberraschen @ 07/17/13 02:34 PM
Yep looks like this is our last NCAA game so make do with what you can. I doubt we will get any more patches or uniform updates. People working on this game are probably being moved or laid off this week.

# 22 LowerWolf @ 07/17/13 02:34 PM
There could still be a college football game. The question is whether EA (or 2K) wants to put in the time and effort (and money) to individually license each school (or conference).

You had to figure this day was coming eventually.

# 23 DJ @ 07/17/13 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanCam
The last part caught my attention. Guess they can still make them as long as all the schools sign on? Of course it wouldn't be called "NCAA" Football anymore.
Yeah but that's not going to come cheaply.

# 24 The JareBear @ 07/17/13 02:35 PM
Not sure what to say.

Am pretty sure that this thread will undoubtedly become very interesting sooner than later.

I love football, but I follow college football appeals to me in ways NFL doesn't. Not sure I will ever be as excited to play Madden as NCAA. O hope EA decides to continue the franchise anyway they can

# 25 ThaShark28_316 @ 07/17/13 02:35 PM
Wonder if this would happen if O'Bannon wasn't a BUST.

# 26 BCJMU99 @ 07/17/13 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleShreen
If NCAA isn't going to do a deal with EA Sports, they're not going to do a deal with any other company.

You young whippersnappers are too young to remember Bill Walsh College Football, which was one of the best football games to ever be produced and had no NCAA or university affiliation. You instead played with "College Station" and "Michigan" (common state name that is under public use) and "Columbus".
Awww yeah!!! Classic!

# 27 Gosens6 @ 07/17/13 02:35 PM
Damn, thank god they at least went out finally giving us a good game this gen

# 28 MrSerendipity @ 07/17/13 02:36 PM
Wow. Kind of hard to believe...I guess the NCAA was trying to get their name out of any potential lawsuit that could stem from the current suit involving EA. But still, I think I would have waited until EA settled with the suing party.

# 29 JLoco11 @ 07/17/13 02:36 PM
Well.... maybe Tiburon will focus on making NCAA '14 playable now that they don't have to worry about making '15.

Since the contract expires June 2014, I assume EA can still make alterations to their games before that date.

# 30 lsu4life86 @ 07/17/13 02:36 PM
I hope it does make it onto the next gen systems....but I agree if the game does go on each univ will have to sign on.

But with the NCAA being out of it we may see player violations back in the game such as academic ineligibility or breaking team rules which I liked back n day.

# 31 MizzouBravesFan @ 07/17/13 02:36 PM
"Lou Holtz College Football 15" presented by EA...

Ehhhh....

# 32 TexanCam @ 07/17/13 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Yeah but that's not going to come cheaply.
Very very true. I'm sure the school see the financial value and marketing that can come with the game. That's a lot of schools to sign on though... Lots of money to be paid.

# 33 scottyo60 @ 07/17/13 02:36 PM
Team builder and custom edits now only if that's the route they go?

# 34 Spanky @ 07/17/13 02:37 PM
Let's go back to the Bill Walsh College Football days. I want to play with South Bend, Columbus, Tallahassee, Los Angeles and College Station.

# 35 DJ @ 07/17/13 02:37 PM
All we can hope for at this point is that NCAA 14 gets the patches it needs.

# 36 richmondn96 @ 07/17/13 02:37 PM
Just give me my uniform pack and I'll manage.

# 37 BrandH @ 07/17/13 02:37 PM
If the NCAA says they won't give their approval for it, would each individual conference be able to put their name on it?

# 38 TracerBullet @ 07/17/13 02:37 PM
Also puts the nail in the coffin for a possible College Hoops/NCAA Basketball game.

# 39 Zac @ 07/17/13 02:37 PM
Maybe this means the conferences will then pull in, and take up the licensing, splitting the proceeds to the schools and themselves. That would probably be better for them.

But on the flip side of that, EA or 2K wont want to do that. Can you imagine how much licensing will go up.

# 40 ClemTiger @ 07/17/13 02:37 PM
My life is over. Sad, sad day fellas.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.