Home
NHL 14 News Post

EA Sports has posted this NHL 14 blog discussing the improvements to True Performance Skating. Improvements include defensive strafing, quicker pivots, improved high speed turning and linking 45-degree cuts for a quicker change of direction.

Source - NHL 14 - True Performance Skating (EA Sports)

NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Tsuki @ 07/29/13 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonapaloma
And it works pretty bad. Almost no accuracy at all
Have you taken into account the "stick checking" rating of the player you are attempting to poke with as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
And you can also change the control scheme so that the R-stick is poke check and hitting is R1 + R stick
Does changing that actually making any difference in your opinion

# 22 jonapaloma @ 07/29/13 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuki
Have you taken into account the "stick checking" rating of the player you are attempting to poke with as well
The thing is it doesn't matter if you change the attributes since no matter what you do they dont effect the gameplay.

# 23 Tsuki @ 07/29/13 01:26 PM
Quote:
The thing is it doesn't matter if you change the attributes since no matter what you do they dont effect the gameplay.
There is a whole "attribute effect" slider that says otherwise.

# 24 jonapaloma @ 07/29/13 05:39 PM
Quote:
There is a whole "attribute effect" slider that says otherwise.
Correct me if am wrong but that only applies to making players better or worse depending on what attributes they have.

# 25 Tsuki @ 07/29/13 11:40 PM
Quote:
Correct me if am wrong but that only applies to making players better or worse depending on what attributes they have.
You got it.
I will agree that the poke check should be more responsive but it's effectiveness should soley be based on each players individual rating.

# 26 jonapaloma @ 07/30/13 06:22 AM
Quote:
You got it.
I will agree that the poke check should be more responsive but it's effectiveness should soley be based on each players individual rating.
Ok but it does not mean that just because something suppose to work in a certain way, it will actual work that way in the end.

# 27 Money99 @ 07/30/13 09:56 AM
Quote:
You got it.
THIS!
Lidstrom's poke check should be infinitely more accurate and effective than Jonathan Ericsson's.

But that just goes down to what I've been complaining about for years in that there is not nearly enough player separation in this game - especially on the CPU's end.

# 28 Tsuki @ 07/30/13 04:44 PM
I want the player separation on the cpu's end to be more like 2k's

Playing against melo,cp3 & griffin, heat, rose are always tough not that the cpu is "cheating" persay but the game cpu recognizes that its team has higher rated players that should play at a certain level and make them play that way.

If i have to kill a penalty against a Hossa, Toews, Kane line I better be gritting my teeth for every lose puck.

If my 3rd line tires out and Ovechkin is hopping on to the ice fresh I better be mindful how I pass in the neutral zone so that he does not cut of the pass and blow past everyone.

Quick better be damn near impossible to beat in the 3rd period. Using screens or fake shots to take him out of position should be my gameplan.

The way the game currently plays the elite dont stand out amongst the average and the weak might as well be average. Rarely do I have to change my gameplay against the stars even with slider adjustments to make things more realistic

# 29 ComaFaction @ 07/31/13 08:54 AM
Quote:
If i have to kill a penalty against a Hossa, Toews, Kane line I better be gritting my teeth for every lose puck.
Obviously, you didn't see Chicago's powerplay this year

# 30 Tsuki @ 07/31/13 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaFaction
Haha yes I know they struggled for some reason despite that monster line.

In game tho based on ratings this powerplay should be tough to defend against

but you get my point.

# 31 Schmackity @ 07/31/13 02:48 PM
Which brings me back to my original gameplay enhancement idea:

To put it easily, the longer the puck is in your zone, the slower and more sluggish your defending team becomes. It will force players to have their goalie freeze the puck more like in real life than to always pass out. Plus it would allow for proper Power Plays with passing and the defensemen having to play more of a sit and block passing lanes style of defense rather than the current 'Chase everyone consistently' defense style.

I feel it'd add the desired effect for everyone and even make the game MUCH more realistic. Currently as they are, power plays are pathetic and not particularly an advantage as they should be.

# 32 gopher_guy @ 07/31/13 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaFaction
Beat me to it

# 33 Tsuki @ 07/31/13 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmackity

To put it easily, the longer the puck is in your zone, the slower and more sluggish your defending team becomes. It will force players to have their goalie freeze the puck more like in real life than to always pass out. Plus it would allow for proper Power Plays with passing and the defensemen having to play more of a sit and block passing lanes style of defense rather than the current 'Chase everyone consistently' defense style.

I feel it'd add the desired effect for everyone and even make the game MUCH more realistic. Currently as they are, power plays are pathetic and not particularly an advantage as they should be.
agreed. plus proper player separation makes it perfect

# 34 jyoung @ 07/31/13 11:51 PM
Quote:

Midway actually had this feature in the NHL Hitz series. It was a slider called goalie fatigue.

The longer your team held continuous possession in the offensive zone, the slower the goalie became and the lower his ratings sunk.

Once the defense cleared the puck out of the zone, the goalie's ratings reset to default.

# 35 Schmackity @ 08/01/13 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Midway actually had this feature in the NHL Hitz series. It was a slider called goalie fatigue.

The longer your team held continuous possession in the offensive zone, the slower the goalie became and the lower his ratings sunk.

Once the defense cleared the puck out of the zone, the goalie's ratings reset to default.
What's sad is that it's to the point where they have to add coding like this but with so many people that don't care to play a video game of hockey the same way as real life and ruin it for everyone involved, I think something like this is completely needed. Too many times it's all about one-timers and glitch goals. I want to feel rewarded for actually setting up an offense and scoring not just the same thing over and over until the goalie's animation lets a puck in.

# 36 Qb @ 08/02/13 11:38 AM
Quote:

I think they tuned in adjusted fatigue for special teams at some point... maybe NHL12? The PP fatigued at a slower rate and the PK tired more quickly. I'm not sure if this was subsequently relaxed or removed, but I'm almost certain it was implemented post-release.

Along with situational fatigue, I think the impact of fatigue needs to be prominent across the board. I've always raised the fatigue effect slider for offline play. Doing so more or less accomplishes what you describe... you get punished for long shifts, running around on D, or overusing hustle.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.