Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The settlement total for EA and the CLC in their part of the college athlete likenesses lawsuits which brought an end to the NCAA Football series is valued at $40 million according to the NY Times.

The settlement affects 125,000 current and former college basketball and football players and ends up averaging just about $320 per player -- which is still too high given the presence of lawyers fees and such which would lower the total payout per player.

The total monetary number is actually quite a bit smaller than you'd expect, and much smaller than if the case had actually gone to trial. From a business standpoint, the $40 million itself was likely not necessarily a reason for axing NCAA Football. What we haven't heard yet are the other terms of the settlement, one of which could very well have been that EA Sports couldn't develop a college football game for x number of years.

We'll keep digging to see what we can find -- most likely additional details of the settlement will continue to leak out in the days and weeks to come.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 da ThRONe @ 09/28/13 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_mike
There is plenty of reason based on logic why amateur players should remain amateurs. It's the concept of amateurism, which is a noble one and should be preserved, especially to serve as a check in an era that worships greed.
Why do you get to decide for a large group of individuals when and maybe more importantly what it means to be noble. I guess slavery was a noble past time that gave the US a huge economic boost and should have never been abolished. It's easy for you to speak on nobility it's not your hard work being exploited. Nobility is not based on logic as it is merely based on ones opinion.

You speak of greed yet conviently leave out the individuals who profit directly from college sports.

# 82 AUChase @ 09/28/13 02:46 PM
Friend of mine came over and played a game of NCAA 14 with me.

He selected Alabama, I picked Va Tech and we played the Fiesta Bowl.

Key players pop up during the loading screen and his boy AJ McCarron looked like an uglier version of Conner Shaw.

Just thought it was funny considering the whole situation about player likeness and such..

# 83 tessl @ 09/28/13 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Why do you get to decide for a large group of individuals when and maybe more importantly what it means to be noble. I guess slavery was a noble past time that gave the US a huge economic boost and should have never been abolished. It's easy for you to speak on nobility it's not your hard work being exploited. Nobility is not based on logic as it is merely based on ones opinion.

You speak of greed yet conviently leave out the individuals who profit directly from college sports.
Oh please, the average college football player gets in excess of $100,000 dollars in benefits during 4 years in a division 1 school and they leave with a college degree.

One issue with paying players which I haven't heard discussed is tax implications of moving the sport from amateur athletics to professional. Unlike the NCAA the IRS does have subpoena power.

# 84 mtoo22 @ 09/28/13 04:47 PM
They should develop it in some other country. Skirt the laws and then sell it here. It obviously couldn't be EA Sports, but that's how I would look at it.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk 4

# 85 roadman @ 09/28/13 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pete Even
By far the most thoughtful and sensible post in this thread. The entire American college system has devolved into a farce. When it comes to athletics, the idea of amateurism died when billions of dollars started changing hands. Its the same fate that's befallen the Olympics. I also find it odd that so many are holding on to this myth of education equaling compensation. That would not fly in open court and I'm certain the NCAA hasn't fallen into the trap of trying to present it as an argument.
And as a parent paying for two children in college, if it ever came to collegiate athletes being paid, and you would have to go all across the board, cross country, basketball, football, every collegiate sport, I wouldn't want to see the raising of tuition one dime for tuition as result of paying collegiate athletes. Tuition is expensive as it is.

Paying athletes doesn't just revolve around the athletes, universities or the NCAA. It reaches fay beyond that.

Plus, if collegiate athletes are ever paid, welcome to the tax system, which is another headache.

# 86 sportzbro @ 09/28/13 07:18 PM
Quote:
All of this is great. However it doesn't stop the fact that athletes are not getting paid for their labor. Which for most isn't the issues, it's the fact that these schools prevent them from using their likeness to get paid is what's completely unfair. Removing that rule wouldn't harm college athletics one bit yet it remains.
Seriously, labor? Playing a sport with countless perks is hard labor now?

Quote:
It's not a two way street. T. Martinez isn't receiving any monetary compensation. Also Martinez is one of those player that probably don't have an NFL future. If he would have blown out his knee his scholarship could have been revoked. I fail to see where he benefits from Neb sellouts. He's not getting a piece of the ticket sales.
So students who pay around $200 for game ticket packages should just start writing checks to their QB's now? We're paying stadium upgrades, helmets, uniforms, new turf, etc. so their holy college experience can be that much better. You really think his parents/coaches haven't already rubbed shoulders with prominent community members and formed relationships that will help him with a job if the NFL/MLB doesn't work out? Not to mention he's graduating with zero debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Oh please, the average college football player gets in excess of $100,000 dollars in benefits during 4 years in a division 1 school and they leave with a college degree.
B-but-but the scholarship is worthless and "bogus" anyway!! it means nothing, and they need cash payments.

# 87 bkrich83 @ 09/28/13 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
Seriously, labor? Playing a sport with countless perks is hard labor now?

So students who pay around $200 for game ticket packages should just start writing checks to their QB's now? We're paying stadium upgrades, helmets, uniforms, new turf, etc. so their holy college experience can be that much better.

He's also benefiting because people actually show up to watch, which helps Nebraska sellout resulting in being shown nationally on TV, getting people to talk about him, to make his experience that much better. And you really think his parents/coaches haven't already rubbed shoulders with prominent community members and formed relationships that will help him with a job if the NFL/MLB doesn't work out?

B-but-but the scholarship is worthless and "bogus" anyway!! it means nothing, and they need cash payments.
The whole they need cash payments arguments are shortsighted and being made by people who simply don't know any better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

# 88 sportzbro @ 09/28/13 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
The whole they need cash payments arguments are shortsighted and being made by people who simply don't know any better.

What's the difference... Monetary compensation, signing endorsements outside of the university, or wanting a piece of ticket/uniform/video game sales - In some form or another it's all cash going to that amateur player on top of their scholarship, gear, networking, housing, transportation, academic resources, nutritionists, trainers, million dollar player lounges, etc. that they knowingly and very willingly signed on for.

# 89 bkrich83 @ 09/28/13 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzbro
What's the difference... Monetary compensation, signing endorsements outside of the university, or wanting a piece of ticket/uniform/video game sales - In some form or another it's all cash going to that amateur player on top of their scholarship, gear, networking, housing, transportation, academic resources, nutritionists, trainers, million dollar player lounges, etc. that they knowingly and very willingly signed on for.
Agree 100%

# 90 jeremym480 @ 09/28/13 08:43 PM
Can we please stop comparing what these football players go through to slavery? It's extremely ignorant, silly, insulting, etc.

Also I'm still LOL at the notion these players are being "exploited". If the 125,000 players who "got paid" by this settlement could go back in time to the day the signed their letter of intent (knowing what they know now) how many of them do you think would sign on the dotted line again? I would venture to guess that almost all of them would, including those two ***hats Obannon and Keller.

You can't exploit the willing.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

# 91 da ThRONe @ 09/28/13 09:34 PM
Quote:

I don't know what they need, but I know what they should be entitled to. It's sad so many have a midset that the focus on punishing the victims and not the offenders. Telling someone they don't have the right to generate a profit off of themselves while I make a significant profit off of those same people is the very definition of exploitation.

I'm not saying playing D1 college is torture or denying it may very well be the best option for the majority of the students. So PLEASE stop playing that card. However having something be your best option doesn't mean it isn't a form of exploitation none the less. Preventing SA's from pursuing deals with 3rd parties or accept money from boosters is an unnecessary rule that no one has yet to give a creditable reason that it exist.

Everything these colleges AD's does is to maximize the profit of there respective schools and all the conferences realiment is proof of such goals. If every party associated with college football, every move can be centered around money why shouldn't the group that actually provide the entertainment seek monetary compensation of some form? Especially when you consider that compensation would barely impact their profit margin if at all.

# 92 bkrich83 @ 09/28/13 09:40 PM
Quote:
I don't know what they need, but I know what they should be entitled to. It's sad so many have a midset that the focus on punishing the victims and not the offenders. Telling someone they don't have the right to generate a profit off of themselves while I make a significant profit off of those same people is the very definition of exploitation.

I'm not saying playing D1 college is torture or denying it may very well be the best option for the majority of the students. So PLEASE stop playing that card. However having something be your best option doesn't mean it isn't a form of exploitation none the less. Preventing SA's from pursuing deals with 3rd parties or accept money from boosters is an unnecessary rule that no one has yet to give a creditable reason that it exist.

Everything these colleges AD's does is to maximize the profit of there respective schools and all the conferences realiment is proof of such goals. If every party associated with college football, every move can be centered around money why shouldn't the group that actually provide the entertainment seek monetary compensation of some form? Especially when you consider that compensation would barely impact their profit margin if at all.
Where do you think all of this "profit" is going? I mean really do you have any understanding of college athletics economics? Who's being "punished" here? Who are the "victims"? Talk about ridiculous use of hyperbole.

If you really believe this is exploitation, you need to some real perspective on the world, because you obviously don't have one iota of a clue as to what exploitation really is.

I am not sure where people think there is some God given right to make money while playing college athletics, or that playing college athletics is a God given right in the first place.

This kind of attitude lacks so much perspective and has such a limited scope of vision, I originally thought you were simply being facetious..

As for why the rule exists there are plenty of credible reason and they've been discussed ad nauseum around here. In this very thread I believe.

# 93 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 09/28/13 10:07 PM
Who exactly is getting exploited? Is it all student athletes, or is it just the football and men's basketball players?

Are the tennis players being exploited? The baseball players? The soccer players? What about the lacrosse players? Maybe the Field Hockey team?

Are high school students exploited, as they don't see a dime of the ticket and concession sales and they are playing the same sports. Was I exploited when I ran track and cross country? There were concession sales made at my events, and my coach even had the audacity to take extra pay on top of his annual teaching salary. And we had really ****ty mats for pole vaulting and high jump too.

# 94 da ThRONe @ 09/28/13 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Who exactly is getting exploited? Is it all student athletes, or is it just the football and men's basketball players?

Are the tennis players being exploited? The baseball players? The soccer players? What about the lacrosse players? Maybe the Field Hockey team?

Are high school students exploited, as they don't see a dime of the ticket and concession sales and they are playing the same sports. Was I exploited when I ran track and cross country? There were concession sales made at my events, and my coach even had the audacity to take extra pay on top of his annual teaching salary. And we had really ****ty mats for pole vaulting and high jump too.
First and foremost did your high school prevent you from making money off of your popularity and/or likeness or prevent you from accepting gifts? My point exactly. I recall a one LeBron James inking a 90million dollar deal with Nike while still in HS.

Secondly that's not act like the amount of revenue collected doesn't factor into what is or isn't exploitation.

# 95 bkrich83 @ 09/28/13 11:44 PM
Quote:
First and foremost did your high school prevent you from making money off of your popularity and/or likeness or prevent you from accepting gifts? My point exactly. I recall a one LeBron James inking a 90million dollar deal with Nike while still in HS.

Secondly that's not act like the amount of revenue collected doesn't factor into what is or isn't exploitation.
Lebron's HS career was over.

Exploitation. I still can't get over someone using that in this instance.

# 96 da ThRONe @ 09/28/13 11:49 PM
Quote:
Where do you think all of this "profit" is going? I mean really do you have any understanding of college athletics economics? Who's being "punished" here? Who are the "victims"? Talk about ridiculous use of hyperbole.

If you really believe this is exploitation, you need to some real perspective on the world, because you obviously don't have one iota of a clue as to what exploitation really is.

I am not sure where people think there is some God given right to make money while playing college athletics, or that playing college athletics is a God given right in the first place.

This kind of attitude lacks so much perspective and has such a limited scope of vision, I originally thought you were simply being facetious..

As for why the rule exists there are plenty of credible reason and they've been discussed ad nauseum around here. In this very thread I believe.
Again look up the definition of exploitation. There's no hyperbole in my usage of the word.

Nobody has a "God given" anything. However a massive amount of money is being made and people are cashing in. You still tip toe around the issue that the universities and NCAA won't be expected to pay athletes a dime. It would be solely based on 3dd parties. The victims are the people who hard work and talent make billions yet are expected to be paid in the potential to make future earnings.

As far as reason yet to hear one based on logic or anything that is remotely beneficial to the SA.

# 97 roadman @ 09/29/13 12:19 AM
Quote:

Not sure where you went to HS, but my HS did and still does.

http://www.wiaawi.org/Schools/Eligib...ulesForms.aspx

Student-athletes are in violation of the members’ amateur status rules if they:

1) ...accept, receive and/or direct to another, reimbursement or award in any form of salary, cash, merchandise of any kind or amount, or share of game or season proceeds for achievement in athletics. A student may not receive such merchandise items as shirts, jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, jerseys, warm-ups, equipment, balls, duffel bags, backpacks, watches, rings, billfolds, coupons, gift certificates, e.g., regardless of their value.
2) ...sign a contract or agreement for services as a participating athlete.
3) ...receive compensation or benefit, directly or indirectly, for the use of name, picture, and/or personal appearance as an athlete. This includes but is not limited to: receiving free and/or reduced rates on equipment, apparel, camps/clinics/instruction and competitive opportunities that are not identical for all other participants. In addition, student-athletes and parents must pay all costs associated with attending camps and/or clinics.
4) ...are identified as an athlete, provides endorsement as an athlete, or appears as an athlete, in the promotion of a commercial/advertisement and/or profit-making event, item, plan or service.
5) ...play in any contest (school or nonschool) under a name other than his/her own name.

Also, do you have a link to all this massive amount of money being made by all these colleges? I'd like to see financial pages of your stated claims or it's all opinion based.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...idies/2142443/

23 of the 228 athletic departments at the NCAA D1 level generated enough money on their own to cover their expenses in 2012. So, 10% of the NCAA D1 schools generated enough money to cover their own expenses.

Please, show me the exploitation! Who is exploiting who with those figures?

This reason is based on logic.

# 98 bkrich83 @ 09/29/13 12:30 AM
Quote:
Again look up the definition of exploitation. There's no hyperbole in my usage of the word.

Nobody has a "God given" anything. However a massive amount of money is being made and people are cashing in. You still tip toe around the issue that the universities and NCAA won't be expected to pay athletes a dime. It would be solely based on 3dd parties. The victims are the people who hard work and talent make billions yet are expected to be paid in the potential to make future earnings.

As far as reason yet to hear one based on logic or anything that is remotely beneficial to the SA.
I am not tip toeing around anything. Yes it was hyperbole you're exaggerating or misstating the truth in order to make a point. . You clearly have no clue as to what exploitation is, nor do you have any understanding of college athletics economics, nor the outside influences that lurk.

Who are all these people cashing in? Victims, lol. . Even more hyperbole.

Yes, I know, it's all about "I gotta get mine", but it's extremely short-sighted and cash is not always the answer, as hard as I know it is for someone like you to understand.

# 99 da ThRONe @ 09/29/13 12:52 AM
Quote:
I am not tip toeing around anything. Yes it was hyperbole you're exaggerating or misstating the truth in order to make a point. . You clearly have no clue as to what exploitation is, nor do you have any understanding of college athletics economics, nor the outside influences that lurk.

Who are all these people cashing in? Victims, lol. . Even more hyperbole.

Yes, I know, it's all about "I gotta get mine", but it's extremely short-sighted and cash is not always the answer, as hard as I know it is for someone like you to understand.
Again look up the definition of exploitation and tell me it doesn't fit. I can't be responsible if you don't know the definition of a word or how said word makes you feel.

Coaches cash in, AD's, Dean's, trainers, tutors, tv Networks, commentators, sports writers, ground keepers, and up until recently people who worked for EA making NCAA.

What type of person am I exactly? One that speaks out against what I think is wrong even though it doesn't benefit me. I can almost assure you you have no clue what type of person I am if you think I base fairness solely around money.

# 100 bkrich83 @ 09/29/13 12:59 AM
Quote:
Again look up the definition of exploitation and tell me it doesn't fit. I can't be responsible if you don't know the definition of a word or how said word makes you feel.

Coaches cash in, AD's, Dean's, trainers, tutors, tv Networks, commentators, sports writers, ground keepers, and up until recently people who worked for EA making NCAA.

What type of person am I exactly? One that speaks out against what I think is wrong even though it doesn't benefit me. I can almost assure you you have no clue what type of person I am if you think I base fairness solely around money.
you need to know how to properly apply the word. I am not sure how you don't get it. Again, you really have no idea what exploitation is.

So the grounds keepers were cashing in? You're really going to make that arguement?

I know exactly what kind of person you are. You've made it abundantly clear over the years. Maybe one day you'll see the forest and not just the trees. Doubtful though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.