Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Kobe Bryant signed a two year deal worth $48.5 million, which means he will remain the highest paid player in the NBA over the next two seasons. One has to figure this is LA's last chance to get in on winning an NBA Championship with Kobe as part of the mix.

Big name free agents are coming onto the market, plus plenty of second tier talent. If you were playing as the Lakers GM, would you go after a superstar like LeBron to join Kobe or would you seek to upgrade the overall talent of the team with smaller signings with the limited cap space you have going into next year?

Sound off in the comments below!

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 tril @ 11/30/13 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSceptile
Making stupid posts doesn't piss any of us off. All it does is show that you can't generate a strong enough argument which has been evident with your lack of understanding and "Lakers did it before!" mentality.
read all my previous posts broh.. befor you throw your two cents in!!!.Lakers will have huge amounts of cap space in the next 2 years. I did the research. I posted the contracts that will be off the books. look at all my posts.
After someone mentioned the Anthony Davis scenarios and cap structure, I basically then stated that it was wishful thinking. I conceded to that argument. But me being a Laker fan it would still be a nice dream.
However, I do stick by a scenario with Hibbert, Bryant, and Carmello in an LA lineup in 2 years.
Again, Hypothetical, but all in the realm of possibility

# 82 tril @ 11/30/13 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
"Do you have any comprehension skills." There is something ironically amusing about you saying that.

Wishful thinking implies that there is at least some distinct, albeit small, chane at something occurring. Irving and Davis being let go as RFA's does NOT fit that criteria.

By the way, seems like you've been watching a bit too much "real housewives" bro...
LOL!!! I just watch the updates on TMZ and the talk shows!!!!!
Again I still say that Hibbert, Carmello and Bryant falls in the realms of possibility and if not Davis as a big man then Ill throw Greg Monroe as the Lakers next big man.
he's basically a 15/10 guy deosnt get much touches this year cause he shares those duties with Josh Smith..

so this off upcoming off season. LA Grabs Carmello and Monroe
and in 2015 Hibbert opts out for LA. in the mean time I still say LA should pursue Bledsoe.

in 2 years a lineup of
pg-?
sg-Bryant
sf-Carmello Anthony
pf-Monroe
c-Hibbert (he has a player option),

Im a huge fan of Hibberts game and LA lakers fan, so now you know why Id like to see him in an LA uniform. I used to get in heated arguments when he and Oden was coming out. at one point there was talk of Hibbert coming out the same year as Oden. Hibbert decided to stay in college 1 more year-I believe. I always thought that Hibbert had the most upside. I liked the way he played at Georgetown.

for the record that Oden Hibbert debate will never come to fruition. that Ohio State/Georgetown game was supposedly a prelude to what we'd see from these two big men in the NBA. Hibbert dominated that game back in I believe 07.

sorry for going off topic.

# 83 RedSceptile @ 11/30/13 01:06 PM
Carmelo commands a max. Monroe is going to want a max or as close to it as possible, Hibbert will definitely demand a max. That's 3 max guys and Eric Bledsoe who if he doesn't get the max will get a Rondo/Conley type contract. That's not even factoring in Kobe and the bench unit. Again it doesn't add up.

# 84 ojandpizza @ 11/30/13 06:05 PM
@tril

There is nothing wrong with making hypothetical situations for the future, or creating scenarios that you would like to see for LA. Nobody here is bashing you for that..

The problem is, we tell you it's not realistic and you act like we're the ones who don't know what we are talking about.. That's the sole reason there is like 2 full pages of argument on here.

The point is the majority of what you've said is likely 99% not going to happen, or ever could happen. It's fine to want that, and it's fine to create "what ifs".. But when you act like we don't know what we're talking about because we are being realistic with you, then yeah you can expect people to "bash" your ideas.

# 85 Kashanova @ 11/30/13 06:07 PM
Honestly, The Lakers should surround Kobe with passive personalities. If he plays with another Alpha dog they'll clash

# 86 rdnk @ 11/30/13 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
Hibbert has a player option that year. and Brook Lopez will not be a max guy then either. especially when you have your Deandre Jordan's (team option) and Andre Drummond's (fa) becoming free agents or have the opportunity to opt out in 2015. even Marc Gasol will be a free agent that year will they all get max contracts nope.
will the Lakers gladly go over the cap and pay the luxury tax. Yup. they have always done this. this is the Lakers not OKC, Detroit, etc!!!! Lakers are a prime time money making team. and that wont change.
Detroit could go over the cap if they wanted to. We did so when we beat the Lakers in 2004 as well as the seasons when we were competitive. There is just no logic to paying tax dollars when fielding a terrible team. Drummond is a long way out, he becomes a RFA in 2016. If you mean Monroe, then fine, he's a RFA in 2014, but since the Lakers have nothing to trade Detroit would just match any contract offer, so then he'd be a UFA in 2018. We have his bird rights as well as plenty of salary cap coming free. There is no logic in some of the guys you mentioned leaving perfectly fine teams for a dysfunctional organization like the Lakers. They're in the position that Dallas was in.

Even if LA could get Carmelo, him and Kobe would be the worst superstar pairing of all time. Of the 60 M (approx, 70 M is the tax line) salary cap, 35 M is guaranteed to Kobe and Nash. If you spend that 25 M on one player and a mediocre bench guy, then you still have two starting holes and multiple bench slots to fill through trade. It would likely be more prudent to go after a few quality starters and bench guys with cap and MLE (not sure how much bi-annual exception they have left). To get Nash they used their trade exception, so if they run up to the cap they couldn't add anyone big in a trade. If they trade Gasol to a team with a lot of cap space at the deadline, then they could get a large trade exception; yet this brings us back to the part where the Lakers have nothing to trade if even they can pull that off without adding guaranteed money next year. I doubt they will be awful enough to get a super high pick.

I would have amnestied Kobe and traded Gasol in the offseason, and went after some of the mid-range FAs that were signed in the offseason. It didn't have the star power that this one will, but there was enough quality starters to have built a team where Kobe could have returned and been set up to be a very good team.

# 87 OkayC @ 11/30/13 10:39 PM
Ignoring the stupidity of trils' posts. What does anybody think of the lakers taking a shot at granger? He's sorta injury prone, but can definitely score, and is an average defender, and theres already been rumores of the pacers trading him. also wouldn't hurt to look kyle lowry's way. At least for this upcoming offseason.Also, it might not hurt to take a crack at shumpert, and see what the knicks want for him, since he's already in trade discussions anyway. A guy who can flatout shoot, and a defensive stopper. That 2 way play is something the lakers need desperately. We could just play him at point guard since kobe handles the ball mostly anyway. Or we could start farmar, and bring him off the bench. But i only say try and go for shump, if we can trade him for something reasonable.

# 88 KSOR24 @ 12/01/13 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkayC
Ignoring the stupidity of trils' posts. What does anybody think of the lakers taking a shot at granger? He's sorta injury prone, but can definitely score, and is an average defender, and theres already been rumores of the pacers trading him. also wouldn't hurt to look kyle lowry's way. At least for this upcoming offseason.Also, it might not hurt to take a crack at shumpert, and see what the knicks want for him, since he's already in trade discussions anyway. A guy who can flatout shoot, and a defensive stopper. That 2 way play is something the lakers need desperately. We could just play him at point guard since kobe handles the ball mostly anyway. Or we could start farmar, and bring him off the bench. But i only say try and go for shump, if we can trade him for something reasonable.
I'd say the Lakers' biggest needs in order are: a good interior defender (Asik) > A solid starting point guard who can defend and score fairly well > A better starting small forward who can defend and hit the 3 (Deng)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

# 89 tril @ 12/01/13 07:47 AM
Quote:
Broh if this was a school yard, we would have been beefing with your stupid statement. dude this is all hypothetical stuff here.
You all just freely bash folks for posting thoughts. if you dont like post's make reasonable statements, but dont start posts by bashing folks. BRoh!!!
THIS DEBATE STARTED TO GO WRONG WHEN FOLKS STARTED THEIR POSTS BY SAYING I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BASKETBALL, WHAT ARE YOU 5, SAYING IM STUPID ETC. wrong approach in a debate. so of course Ill fire back with dumb statements.

again what everyone anyone posts about whom the lakers may sign is all hypothetical.
1. you never know how much someone will sign for. everyone is basing their theories that everyone will get a max deal. In the past few years that has proven to not always be the case.
2. A player may want to play in a high profile city. get the national exposure etc. That is why cities Like LA and New York attract high priced athletes.

# 90 tril @ 12/01/13 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Detroit could go over the cap if they wanted to. We did so when we beat the Lakers in 2004 as well as the seasons when we were competitive. There is just no logic to paying tax dollars when fielding a terrible team. Drummond is a long way out, he becomes a RFA in 2016. If you mean Monroe, then fine, he's a RFA in 2014, but since the Lakers have nothing to trade Detroit would just match any contract offer, so then he'd be a UFA in 2018. We have his bird rights as well as plenty of salary cap coming free. There is no logic in some of the guys you mentioned leaving perfectly fine teams for a dysfunctional organization like the Lakers. They're in the position that Dallas was in.

Even if LA could get Carmelo, him and Kobe would be the worst superstar pairing of all time. Of the 60 M (approx, 70 M is the tax line) salary cap, 35 M is guaranteed to Kobe and Nash. If you spend that 25 M on one player and a mediocre bench guy, then you still have two starting holes and multiple bench slots to fill through trade. It would likely be more prudent to go after a few quality starters and bench guys with cap and MLE (not sure how much bi-annual exception they have left). To get Nash they used their trade exception, so if they run up to the cap they couldn't add anyone big in a trade. If they trade Gasol to a team with a lot of cap space at the deadline, then they could get a large trade exception; yet this brings us back to the part where the Lakers have nothing to trade if even they can pull that off without adding guaranteed money next year. I doubt they will be awful enough to get a super high pick.

I would have amnestied Kobe and traded Gasol in the offseason, and went after some of the mid-range FAs that were signed in the offseason. It didn't have the star power that this one will, but there was enough quality starters to have built a team where Kobe could have returned and been set up to be a very good team.
ok. all the names I mentioned are based off players becoming free agents in the 13/14 14/15/ 15/16seasons.

Historically Lakers have never had a 4/5 year rebuilding process. In the past their rebuilding process took 2 years at most. and even in those years those teams were competitive. 04/05 season and 92/93 season comes to mind. back in the mid70s they spent 2 straight seasons out of the playoffs.
with that logic they could get Carmello, with just Kobe, and fill mid range roster type players, still be competitive until Kobe comes off the books. then go after high priced free agents. in 2015/16. again thats the year Hibbert has a player option.
I guess what Im saying the Lakers being the Lakers, will have 2 high profile players with Kobe before he retires. This Also provides LA with a smooth transition into the next LA era.

Again, The Lakers have never had long rebuilding processes and I dont see that happening now. they have the majority of their roster coming off the books at the right time. and historically they always land top talent. Again, Howard is the only recent exception.

so Ill stick to my Carmello, Kobe and Hibbert in 2015/16. and theyll as usual pursue every high profile free agent (Eric Bledsoe), and will surprise us when they land those players. Thats what the Lakers have always done.

# 91 tril @ 12/01/13 08:49 AM
Seriously, Someone should bookmark this thread for the next couple of years.
I say it will be an interesting in Lakers Land for the next few years. When it comes to the LosAngelas Lakers, I stand by my train of thought.
theyll spend, theyll shock us with whom they land.

# 92 rdnk @ 12/01/13 12:48 PM
Why would you even want Carmelo and Kobe? That would be an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions.

Someone brought up Danny Granger. He is certainly someone the Lakers could get. Deng is also a good answer at SF. When the best UFA center in the upcoming free agency is Marcin Gortat (Spencer Hawes a close second), betting everything on free agency isn't the best move. Best unrestricted PG? Kyle Lowry. SG? Thabo Sefolosha. Although, with a big enough offer, they might be able to convince Philly to not match an offer sheet on Evan Turner. Best PF is probably Pau himself.

I left out guys with ETOs and options because it's too early to tell what they will do. Getting any of the non-Melo ETO guys would be a coup. It wouldn't surprise me however, it is just too far away to predict accurately.

# 93 SteelersFreak @ 12/01/13 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofATL

PG
- Kyle Lowry .....(Big, aggressive gaurd who can score the rock, let Steve Blake ride the bench)
SG - Kobe Bryant ....(they can try and steal Lance Stephenson from Pacers to come off bench)
SF - Rudy Gay ....(Yeah I said it, No way Melo & Kobe can play together. Both are ball hogs!!!)
PF - Dirk Nowitzki .......(time to move on from Pau Gasol, or at least consider it. Dirk would be a perfect fit)
C - Jordan Hill .......(J. Hill has been pretty productive. He is young and a beast downlow)

Just think about it.... It could be a great team!!!!!!
lol this guy thinks Dirk is gonna be a ****ing Laker.

# 94 tril @ 12/01/13 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Why would you even want Carmelo and Kobe? That would be an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions.

Someone brought up Danny Granger. He is certainly someone the Lakers could get. Deng is also a good answer at SF. When the best UFA center in the upcoming free agency is Marcin Gortat (Spencer Hawes a close second), betting everything on free agency isn't the best move. Best unrestricted PG? Kyle Lowry. SG? Thabo Sefolosha. Although, with a big enough offer, they might be able to convince Philly to not match an offer sheet on Evan Turner. Best PF is probably Pau himself.

I left out guys with ETOs and options because it's too early to tell what they will do. Getting any of the non-Melo ETO guys would be a coup. It wouldn't surprise me however, it is just too far away to predict accurately.
The Carmello/ Kobe thing would be short term. Until Kobe's contract expires it's just a good way for Lakers to transition into a post Kobe error without any drop off. Then they surround Carmello with talent. That was the plan with Howard also. Bring him in, play with Kobe for 2/3 years then usher in a new LA era.

Granger, Deng, Gortat all good players but not a good long term fix. If they do this then it would be short term. then LA would have to go into a complete rebuild mode, which could take a longer period of time. I doubt they want that approach right now, especially with the Clippers being relevant. thats my opinion.

IMO, Carmello as of right now makes the most sense. He's box office too!!!

# 95 OkayC @ 12/01/13 07:35 PM
^ if we got melo, then kobe would not get a 6th ring. Melo and kobe are both alpha personalities that would clash over who would be a number one scoring option, and who would take the last shot in a game. Melo is also an even bigger chucker than what kobe is, and gets easily frustrated, and doesn't even make an attempt on the defensive end of the floor. Kobe may not be the defender he was once was, but he will at least attempt to play it once in a while. melo is also 30 and the lakers would just need to look to rebuilding or reloading or re whatever in a few years anyway. Melo+kobe+same team=fail. The lakers don't even need another franchise player so to speak. thats just the mindset people have about the lakers because its what they've done for so long. Just get a good free agent or two, then surround them with a bunch of good role players. Theres only so many franchise players in the league, none of which are currently likely to come to the lakers this coming offseason. And if you want a ringless even more selfish, and twice as knuckleheadish(yes i made that up) version of kobe. Then go the route of melo. But the dude would get booed out of staples in couple of months. He can't get out of the first round of the playoffs on a team built around him, with tons of talent. Why on earth could he do the same on a lakers team, where him and kobe more likely than not, would not mesh?

# 96 Melbournelad @ 12/02/13 12:11 AM
Quote:
ok. all the names I mentioned are based off players becoming free agents in the 13/14 14/15/ 15/16seasons.

Historically Lakers have never had a 4/5 year rebuilding process. In the past their rebuilding process took 2 years at most. and even in those years those teams were competitive. 04/05 season and 92/93 season comes to mind. back in the mid70s they spent 2 straight seasons out of the playoffs.
with that logic they could get Carmello, with just Kobe, and fill mid range roster type players, still be competitive until Kobe comes off the books. then go after high priced free agents. in 2015/16. again thats the year Hibbert has a player option.
I guess what Im saying the Lakers being the Lakers, will have 2 high profile players with Kobe before he retires. This Also provides LA with a smooth transition into the next LA era.

Again, The Lakers have never had long rebuilding processes and I dont see that happening now. they have the majority of their roster coming off the books at the right time. and historically they always land top talent. Again, Howard is the only recent exception.

so Ill stick to my Carmello, Kobe and Hibbert in 2015/16. and theyll as usual pursue every high profile free agent (Eric Bledsoe), and will surprise us when they land those players. Thats what the Lakers have always done.
C'mon man, stop. Do I have to explain it for the 10th time? If the Lakers are interested in Bledsoe, it will be because he had a very good season. If that happens, the Suns WILL match.

# 97 tril @ 12/02/13 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
C'mon man, stop. Do I have to explain it for the 10th time? If the Lakers are interested in Bledsoe, it will be because he had a very good season. If that happens, the Suns WILL match.
ok. so you are basically telling me that if you were a GM, you wouldn't pursue a restricted free agent/free agent because a team would match the offer submitted to "said" player....seriously?
especially when you'll have a good amount of cap space, again seriously?
what sense does that make.

# 98 tril @ 12/02/13 01:01 AM
Quote:
^ if we got melo, then kobe would not get a 6th ring. Melo and kobe are both alpha personalities that would clash over who would be a number one scoring option, and who would take the last shot in a game. Melo is also an even bigger chucker than what kobe is, and gets easily frustrated, and doesn't even make an attempt on the defensive end of the floor. Kobe may not be the defender he was once was, but he will at least attempt to play it once in a while. melo is also 30 and the lakers would just need to look to rebuilding or reloading or re whatever in a few years anyway. Melo+kobe+same team=fail. The lakers don't even need another franchise player so to speak. thats just the mindset people have about the lakers because its what they've done for so long. Just get a good free agent or two, then surround them with a bunch of good role players. Theres only so many franchise players in the league, none of which are currently likely to come to the lakers this coming offseason. And if you want a ringless even more selfish, and twice as knuckleheadish(yes i made that up) version of kobe. Then go the route of melo. But the dude would get booed out of staples in couple of months. He can't get out of the first round of the playoffs on a team built around him, with tons of talent. Why on earth could he do the same on a lakers team, where him and kobe more likely than not, would not mesh?
good analysis. I have that old Laker mindset that you mentioned.
However, guaranteed the Lakers will pursue Carmello.

Analysts will say it will work cause Kobe and Carmello have a good relationship. they had goo on court chemistry in international competition etc..

# 99 DamnYanks2 @ 12/02/13 03:36 AM
This thread lmao.

# 100 Melbournelad @ 12/02/13 06:30 AM
Quote:
ok. so you are basically telling me that if you were a GM, you wouldn't pursue a restricted free agent/free agent because a team would match the offer submitted to "said" player....seriously?
especially when you'll have a good amount of cap space, again seriously?
what sense does that make.
Huh? No the Lakers can pursue him all they want. What I'm telling you is there is no way the Suns wouldn't match. Put yourself in the Suns GM's shoes, would you?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.