Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Virtual Currency (VC) in NBA 2K14 is a problem and if consumers don't voice their concerns, it's going to get worse.

Sure, there are ways to get free VC via the mobile app (if you can get it working), but gamers shouldn't be required to use VC to do simple tasks such as changing a lineup. We can understand using it in MyTeam (as it has been successful for EA Sports and Ultimate Team), but to have it added into other modes really has the community fired up. Customization isn't as fun as it once was, since VC is needed to update accessories and the ratio is ridiculous. Could this be next?

While there are many posts here at OS slamming it, other sites such as NeoGAF and Reddit have also been killing it from day one. PastaPadre has written a detailed article on it and the hate is spilling over.

VGRevolution warned users about it last year. Twitter is filled with complaints from users actually purchasing VC and not receiving it or crashing/freezing in modes, losing what they've earned. With no official word from 2K Sports, this is becoming a very large concern.

Where do you stand on VC?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 261 oouie433 @ 12/15/13 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippenAintEasy
To anyone saying 2K isn't trying to screw customers, just compare the rewards.

People in this thread are talking about how you make 500 VC for scoring 38,387 career points. That's less than you earn in one game.

Want to take a guess how much you earned in 2K11 before VC? 50,000 skill points. Sure you earned about 1000-3000 skill points a game if I remember correctly, but if they kept their conversion rate there, that should work out to about 20,000-30,000 VC if they were trying to keep things fair.

It's a complete joke. I've said this numerous times, but if you guys are upset with the way 2K is trying to turn gaming into a cheap gimmick found on free to play cell phone games, just don't buy their game next year. Switch to Madden, switch to FIFA, switch to NBA Live, switch to MLB The Show, get into PC gaming, play real basketball, do something else with your time, just don't buy the game day 1 until you get enough information to assure yourself that you aren't getting screwed.

Buying this broken game day 1 encourages them to put out a garbage product that's basically a middle finger to the fans since they're getting rewarded for it. Anytime someone's MyPlayer glitches and erases or whatever, they get rewarded for having a crap product if that person buys VC to get back to where he was. Not only do they half-*** the product, they treat us like idiots.

You have Ronnie2K and LD2K always browsing this forum pre-release and post-release but they'll never directly answer any questions about how greedy 2K's VC policy is or how broken some of the game modes are, or at best they'll give us a half-assed condescending answer. If we're waiting on a roster, "it's coming soon." If we get a patch "it addresses technical stuff" without any specifics.

It's time to stop rewarding 2K for this anti-consumer, grind or pay, unfinished piece of trash that forces you to be always online when 2K's servers are garbage. Come 2K15, seriously do yourself a favor and wait a week to see comments on the game before you buy it. Just doing that in itself will be enough to put pressure on 2K.
Very we'll said sir

Very we'll said. This is my last release day purchase of 2k until things improve. I don't need the added stress in my everyday life from a game that is supposed to provide an escape

# 262 El_Poopador @ 12/16/13 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
Well, scoring 38K in a myCareer career should just give you a lot of VC JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE DEDICATED TO actually do that lol.

i mean seriously, WHO HAS SCORED 38K and made the HoF with a myCareer player in ONE calendar year? I believe that you should be awarded a lot for that. If its like 100 points in a game, its really no big deal since everyone can do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
back before the days of microtransactions and patches this would have been fun to do. break kareems record to unlock kareem in-game. ah to go back to when games were more about fun than money.

# 263 Kaanyr Vhok @ 12/16/13 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
What's the difference between VC and 'gold' in an RPG?
I would sooner buy VC in a sports game before I buy gold in an RPG or money in a casual game. I dont like VC in sports games unless you can get stuff like dashboard backgrounds or avatar jerseys. Buying gold in an RPG is something I completely despise.

# 264 gutsdabeast @ 12/17/13 06:01 AM
Bought the game, enjoyed the game play. Got an error code. Sold it to Amazon. Could have waited for a patch. But the cash grab of VC completely put me off. Glad it happened. I will not buy another game day one. Will wait 2 weeks to see how the game plays. Or if they have a cash grab in place.

# 265 PPerfect_CJ @ 12/17/13 11:25 AM
Quote:

People in this thread are talking about how you make 500 VC for scoring 38,387 career points. That's less than you earn in one game.

Want to take a guess how much you earned in 2K11 before VC? 50,000 skill points. Sure you earned about 1000-3000 skill points a game if I remember correctly, but if they kept their conversion rate there, that should work out to about 20,000-30,000 VC if they were trying to keep things fair.

It's a complete joke. I've said this numerous times, but if you guys are upset with the way 2K is trying to turn gaming into a cheap gimmick found on free to play cell phone games, just don't buy their game next year. Switch to Madden, switch to FIFA, switch to NBA Live, switch to MLB The Show, get into PC gaming, play real basketball, do something else with your time, just don't buy the game day 1 until you get enough information to assure yourself that you aren't getting screwed.

Buying this broken game day 1 encourages them to put out a garbage product that's basically a middle finger to the fans since they're getting rewarded for it. Anytime someone's MyPlayer glitches and erases or whatever, they get rewarded for having a crap product if that person buys VC to get back to where he was. Not only do they half-*** the product, they treat us like idiots.

You have Ronnie2K and LD2K always browsing this forum pre-release and post-release but they'll never directly answer any questions about how greedy 2K's VC policy is or how broken some of the game modes are, or at best they'll give us a half-assed condescending answer. If we're waiting on a roster, "it's coming soon." If we get a patch "it addresses technical stuff" without any specifics.

It's time to stop rewarding 2K for this anti-consumer, grind or pay, unfinished piece of trash that forces you to be always online when 2K's servers are garbage. Come 2K15, seriously do yourself a favor and wait a week to see comments on the game before you buy it. Just doing that in itself will be enough to put pressure on 2K.
Just wish that I could like this post more than once. You hit the nail on the head, man. Excellent post.

# 266 shegotgame @ 12/17/13 02:35 PM
Quote:

This post has really given me a new perspective. Man I wish NBA Live I've were more playable. But I just picked up Fifa and I've been wowed.

I expected Next Gen to have unforeseen issues. But these problems were foreseeable; 2K put them there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 267 Zab @ 12/17/13 04:45 PM
I broke my pattern of not buying day one (unless heavily discounted) for this game because it was the only next gen title that had me thirsty for that newness. At first, I was floored; after few games, I couldn't believe how great everything looked. Greatest basketball sim ever!

That opinion would change over time.
"What, My Career is scripted and nonsensical?"
"How is Chris Anderson hitting contested fadeaway jumpers in the post against my best defender?"

"Why are my stars missing wide open/barely contested layups/shots under the net?"

"GRAB THE F**KING REBOUND!!!"

My opinion now? Never again.

# 268 imraged @ 12/17/13 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
What's the difference between VC and 'gold' in an RPG?
Didn't read any further than this so someone else probably addressed it but...

The difference is; imagine if the next Final Fantasy (or whatever other big name RPG) replaced experience points with more 'gold' while simultaneously eliminating equipment drops by defeated enemies. The only way to upgrade your characters and their equipment is to spend 'gold'; all without significantly increasing the amount of 'gold' earned or reducing costs.

Imagine how the RPG community would react...

Besides that though I definitely won't be buying any future iterations of this game until VC is removed or major alterations are made to the economy of the game.

# 269 Zab @ 12/18/13 10:30 AM
@sword1986 Despite the negative tone, I'm really only mad I paid regular price. I hear there was a crazy Amazon digital sale that made this game dirt cheap, so at $20 or $30 I would've considered this game a good buy.

It's still early, though. We'll see how the game is looking after another few patches. In the meantime, I'll deal.

# 270 VDusen04 @ 02/24/14 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sword1986
Unless the Patch really fixes this game, I will not be getting 2K15 on midnight release. Might be an end to video-gaming for me
A couple of months later, I'm wondering if the negative feedback has been strong enough at this point to yield the change we're looking for in this regard. That said, as much as I enjoyed purchasing NBA 2K3 through NBA 2K13 all on day one, I think those days are gone. I'll be very cautious next year, even if information releases claim, "We listened and now we're giving gamers everything they want!"

# 271 Snubby @ 03/04/14 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I'm not a fan of VC at all, but unfortunately I don't have time to play games like I once did.

So I was starting a MyCareer (the day after I got my PS4...11/16) and I decided to spend $5 to get some VC so I can have a SF with a speed and vertical above a 69 & 45 (silly, and obviously low-balled numbers to promote VC purchase)

Right after the money was taken from the wallet on the PSN, I got a "transaction failed: unknown error" message. Then it said "resolving a prior failed transaction" and after that it said "An error occurred with your VC purchase. This will be resolved at the next available opportunity."

I thought 'alright then..'

Waited 2 days, and that "next available opportunity" never arrived. So I started a support ticket on 2K's support site:

We're 5 days away from a month with this issue, and nothing.

2K needs to take a look at the way they do things from top to bottom. It's one thing to tell me that I'm gonna need to buy VC to play a mode with a dude who can..****n and jump...from the very beginning.

But when I cave in and say "alright, I'll get some VC" and then they take, and presumably receive my money, but I don't receive what I paid for, AND THEN THEY HAVE ME WAITING DAMN NEAR A MONTH FOR RESOLUTION.

I don't even know...

And forget calling them. Over that course of time, I called 4 times. The average wait while I had to listing to that infuriating music, and the recorded "we appreciate your patience, please stay on the line and our next available agent will be right with you"...the average wait was somewhere around 20 mins.

The last time I called, I literally waited 35 mins to have a dude tell me that "my complaint was in the queue, and I'll get an email when they resolve it."

So I got slapped in the face in the game when I created my All-Around SF who apparently can't run, can't jump, is slow as molasses, and has no stamina; and when I spend $5 to correct this situation, they take my money then say "holup, we'll be right with ya...when we damn well please...so yea....wait.."

That's enough to wanna make you elbow someone in the eye.

So there's more than one ugly side to this VC fiasco. But no matter how you slice it, chances are needed.
Did this ever get fixed for you? I had this problem happen to me yesterday.

# 272 Kwamunism @ 03/05/14 06:25 PM
Just had this happen to me as well. I'm gonna assume this transaction error wont be resolved anytime soon?

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2

# 273 PippenAintEasy @ 08/05/14 09:50 PM
Quote:

With 2K revving up the hype machine again, I thought I'd bump this topic just to remind everyone what the sentiment was towards 2K during this past year.

There's going to be a ton of trailers, developer diaries that use buzzwords, and hype about the introduction of modes that we'd had in the past. Before anyone gets sucked into it and preorders, just take a minute to think about how your experience with 2K14 was.

If you had a good one, go right ahead and pre-order if you like what you see.

However, if you're like me, you had frustrations with 2K14 a large number of reasons.

It could have been the horrendous servers, ridiculous VC implementation, lack of any sort of customization, forced cloud saving, inability to create players, scripted/cheesy MyCareer, terrible customer support, or any number of other prevalent issues.

Ask yourself if you want to reward 2K for their performance this past year. If you don't, the only way you'll make a difference to them is by voting with your wallet. If they already have your money, they could not give less of a **** about whether you talk **** about them on a forum, whether you like their game, or anything else. They've shown that countless times.

Do yourself a favor and do not preorder. This doesn't just apply to 2K, this applies to every game. If a company has shown a spotless track record like Rockstar or Naughty Dog, I can understand a preorder.

With what 2K has done over the past 2 years? Make them earn your money.

# 274 trig @ 08/05/14 11:01 PM
launch day, I got the ps3 version. As much as I hate VC, I got around it somehow by playing the companion app.

last month, I got myself a ps4 and the 1st game I bought, 20$ used 2k14. First few minutes was wow, nice graphics! then after a few minutes, I'm starting to get frustrated as I couldn't figure out how to save and load rosters.

Later I found out, it only uses cloud and you have no choice. Which means, If you're having problems with your internet, sorry. If you have slow internet, sucks for you. If 2k server is having problems, just a regular day.

And then I found out you can't create players w/c means you can't play the latest rosters + rookies. And the menu! oh god, its like they realy tried to hard to make it stupid complicated and ugly.

The scripted mycareer and mute teamates are just icing. It really feels like an alpha version that got accidentally released.

edit: oh btw, that companion app I'm talking about? well I can't connect right now lol good job 2k. If only live can provide some competition

# 275 Sundown @ 08/09/14 04:10 AM
Started playing MyTeam Mobile. Pretty silly that I made 30% of my VC screwing around for a few weeks when the rest took a half a year to accumulate playing the real game.

It's not just the cost/difficulty of getting VC. It's that the worst way to get it for some main game modes you want to play is by actually playing those game modes.

# 276 ShogunTake @ 08/09/14 06:35 AM
I'm glad that they're toning down the VC on MyLeague, the mode cost no VC whatsoever and you can earn some along the way. Shows that they're easing up.

# 277 spankdatazz22 @ 08/09/14 08:59 AM
Quote:

Ask yourself if you want to reward 2K for their performance this past year. If you don't, the only way you'll make a difference to them is by voting with your wallet. If they already have your money, they could not give less of a **** about whether you talk **** about them on a forum, whether you like their game, or anything else. They've shown that countless times.

Do yourself a favor and do not preorder. This doesn't just apply to 2K, this applies to every game. If a company has shown a spotless track record like Rockstar or Naughty Dog, I can understand a preorder.

With what 2K has done over the past 2 years? Make them earn your money.
Not to take the contrarian view, but not all companies have the spotless record you mention. Even the best of them, such as Naughty Dog and Rockstar:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...ht=naughty+dog

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...t=monetization

I'm not trying to absolve 2K in any way re the VC fiasco. I just think there are many times hardcore gamers are quick to pass blame and pass the responsibility of making an informed purchasing decision off themselves. I agree with the general premise of your post. But some people here are quick to (1) complain they aren't being "hyped" enough/shown information in a timely manner, while all the while wanting to be hyped into a perpetual state of euphoria. As if they're reliving childhood Christmas's every year. Developers aren't infallible, and neither are gamers. I don't think the situation is simply a black and white issue either; as a developer's history should be weighed before ridiculously hardline stances are taken. If someone makes a mistake, they should be given the opportunity to make amends.

# 278 The 24th Letter @ 08/09/14 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShogunTake
I'm glad that they're toning down the VC on MyLeague, the mode cost no VC whatsoever and you can earn some along the way. Shows that they're easing up.

We aren't all the way out of the woods yet, I'm interested to see if they've evened the earnings out for MyTeam and MyPlayer...

I don't actually mind the concept of VC in itself...just don't force it on us and try to corner us into spending real money to obtain It...

# 279 Timmy101_ @ 08/09/14 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
We aren't all the way out of the woods yet, I'm interested to see if they've evened the earnings out for MyTeam and MyPlayer...

I don't actually mind the concept of VC in itself...just don't force it on us and try to corner us into spending real money to obtain It...
You know.. I actually feel the opposite way about VC.. I believe 2k is catering to both sides(people who spend time playing the game or people who want to win immediately..) The real problem is the sharing the currency throughout all modes. I mean if we could earn MyGM VC or My Career VC or even MyTeam points for each game we play I believe it would counter the problem.. Maybe if they gave us a choice on what currency we would be awarded per game we could possibly be headed towards the right way.

The reason why the VC is so messed up is because the value is not the same for each mode. What I mean by that is for example... I play one game of MyCareer(12 min quarters) I go in MyTeam what is really eligible to buy? Nothing at all.. But if i play a game or two of MyTeam, which would take the same amount of time I can just about buy any pack that I would want.. (I go for cheap packs btw.. Still in 6th seed..) But if I stayed in MyCareer mode I can upgrade several attributes and buy a sig skill... If the reward value was a choice in the matter I believe people can get the enjoyment of one mode while improving another at the same time.. I cant even say anything about MyGM though.. That system needs a massive overhaul.. I have been fired countless times because most of my VC went to MyCareer.

# 280 Sinner @ 08/09/14 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShogunTake
I'm really glad that MyLeague isn't going to use VC...hate VC with a passion like most others around here, but it makes me wonder how they will look at those "stats" they talked about as far as the most popular modes people play.

I would wager that MyLeague will probably be high as far as people playing it, now will 2k look at it like there is no VC in MyLeague, they are playing that mode the most maybe we should make VC less relevant over all? Or will they look at it like they are playing MyLeague the most...we need to add VC to it and get more money out of them. I'm hoping it's not the latter...

We've seen people come here saying how much they've spent in VC then have problems and get irritated cause basically they wasted their money. Wish they would realize they are a big part of the problem and just not buy it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.