Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Virtual Currency (VC) in NBA 2K14 is a problem and if consumers don't voice their concerns, it's going to get worse.

Sure, there are ways to get free VC via the mobile app (if you can get it working), but gamers shouldn't be required to use VC to do simple tasks such as changing a lineup. We can understand using it in MyTeam (as it has been successful for EA Sports and Ultimate Team), but to have it added into other modes really has the community fired up. Customization isn't as fun as it once was, since VC is needed to update accessories and the ratio is ridiculous. Could this be next?

While there are many posts here at OS slamming it, other sites such as NeoGAF and Reddit have also been killing it from day one. PastaPadre has written a detailed article on it and the hate is spilling over.

VGRevolution warned users about it last year. Twitter is filled with complaints from users actually purchasing VC and not receiving it or crashing/freezing in modes, losing what they've earned. With no official word from 2K Sports, this is becoming a very large concern.

Where do you stand on VC?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 221 threattonature @ 12/12/13 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
Man I hear everybody's gripes, I really do, but I can't say I feel them 100%. People who play myGM and actually play the game, will make enough VC to build a respectable GM. People who play myCareer will do the same. I do agree the price of packs in myTeam are ridiculous, but it seems the Domination mode will give you specific team packs that could yield Gold Players.

The wack side I'm noticing is 2K is making it so you have to build from being a scrub to the top and if you want to bypass that, then you have to buy VC. This sucks for online gamers because you will build regularly and some other guy may buy VC, I get that. But to the guys who want to play the game and mainly the offline portions (myGM and myCareer) how is VC stopping that? What if they called it XP, eliminated the price tag but had the same progression levels?

To me it seems like the best of both worlds because you can act as if VC doesn't exist (call it XP), play the game (which is why we bought it) and unlock things as you go along. Or, you can buy VC and play the game that you want to play it. The only thing that has seem to change to me is you can't max out your myPlayer or myGM in year 1 and dominate the league, which is realistic. I think this debate needs to go on and better balancing is needed, but the option to pay more and play the game the way you want to instead of how the developer wants you to, is a great option.
Also realize that some people play the games different ways. some people love to have the ability to customize and build a season how they see fit. Some love to sim through seasons and truly play GM by building their teams without having to play the games. Now they force you to play all the games if you want VC. If not you can barely level up your GM. Or once you hit the offseason you can't send your guys to training camps because each one costs VC. I don't mind VC being there but don't let it affect how each individual plays the game. 2K themselves have said that they are trying to provide a more controlled experience for the user.

# 222 MarvinOida @ 12/12/13 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iseedeadpeople
How to make Steve a millionaire. OS Points!

Reply Button - 20 OS points
Quote Button - 30 OS points
Emoticon Use - 5 OS points
Private Message - 30 OS points plus the OS points for text
Typing in a post - 50 OS points for 100 words
Creating a new thread - 10,000 OS points
Creating a poll - 50 OS points
Search - 100 OS points
Donator - 50,000 OS points
Ban Removal - 100,000 OS points

A like on your post - 1 OS point
A reply to your post - 5 OS points

And that's it for rewards.

But yeah, this microtransaction problem with 2k needs to balance out and also needs to be an option for modes like myGM. Cause at this point, I see 2k adding a subscription service where pay X per month and get X amount of VC by the end of the month. Like some weird loan plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 223 Yze @ 12/12/13 09:53 PM
I hate what 2K have done to this game this year and ****ing loathe the required grinding. The VC payouts are super low too, especially if you're not the best player -- so it's probably agonizing for casuals. I found a way to get VC at a reasonable clip by simming mycareer, with my current roster I get 1750VC every 7 minutes which is probably the fastest it's going to get without paying for it. It's still slow tedious work but atleast buying a pair of shorts doesn't feel like the worst thing in the world now that I can earn the funds required in 7 minutes. There's a video that walks you through how to do it -- search for shake4ndbake how to get the most VC on youtube. But you shouldn't get the roster he recommends and you should download mine instead because it makes more VC(His makes about 800 a pop, mine makes 1750).

My roster is named SimGrindMyGmVC by YzeNup it requires a few extra steps to use but is way more efficient -- start up myGM without injuries and with custom rosters using the above roster. Accept all the goals as fast as you can. Before you sim a game -- select business, press R2 and R1 and reduce the price for hats(which you can do without purchasing anything) to 1$ to ensure attendance. Select options press L2 and set all season task automation to on (this is shown in the above video). Following that just sim a season, you should get 1k VC from 5 goals for completing the season and you will get another 2 goals for the playoffs for a combined 450VC -- a sweep is virtually guaranteed so you will likely pick up another 100. For the post season just resign all the players on team options and select advance to next season for another 200 -- quit out after your second encounter with the gm.

For some reason on ps4 it requires it doesn't give you the playoff goals the second/any time you run this after the first one unless you close the application and restart, which is worth it since it doesn't take that long. I hope this makes sense and helps some of you out that are finding it hard to enjoy this game. This is still tedious but it's faster and you can bankroll things to get to where you want to be.

# 224 Yze @ 12/12/13 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yze
I hate what 2K have done to this game this year and ****ing loathe the required grinding. The VC payouts are super low too, especially if you're not the best player -- so it's probably agonizing for casuals. I found a way to get VC at a reasonable clip by simming mycareer, with my current roster I get 1750VC every 7 minutes which is probably the fastest it's going to get without paying for it. It's still slow tedious work but atleast buying a pair of shorts doesn't feel like the worst thing in the world now that I can earn the funds required in 7 minutes. There's a video that walks you through how to do it -- search for shake4ndbake how to get the most VC on youtube. But you shouldn't get the roster he recommends and you should download mine instead because it makes more VC(His makes about 800 a pop, mine makes 1750).

My roster is named SimGrindMyGmVC by YzeNup it requires a few extra steps to use but is way more efficient -- start up myGM without injuries and with custom rosters using the above roster. Accept all the goals as fast as you can. Before you sim a game -- select business, press R2 and R1 and reduce the price for hats(which you can do without purchasing anything) to 1$ to ensure attendance. Select options press L2 and set all season task automation to on (this is shown in the above video). Following that just sim a season, you should get 1k VC from 5 goals for completing the season and you will get another 2 goals for the playoffs for a combined 450VC -- a sweep is virtually guaranteed so you will likely pick up another 100. For the post season just resign all the players on team options and select advance to next season for another 200 -- quit out after your second encounter with the gm.

For some reason on ps4 it requires it doesn't give you the playoff goals the second/any time you run this after the first one unless you close the application and restart, which is worth it since it doesn't take that long. I hope this makes sense and helps some of you out that are finding it hard to enjoy this game. This is still tedious but it's faster and you can bankroll things to get to where you want to be.

No edit: Use OKC with my roster not miami btw, Oklahoma city thunder that is. use okc /D

# 225 WarlordZMaster @ 12/13/13 08:35 AM
Hey all, the easiest way to get lots of VC is via the iPad NBA2K14 App. Finally got it to sign me in, and I tripled my VC in one day. Not to mention the addictive card game included in the app. Hope you have iPhones or iPads, it is not available on Windows.

# 226 kjjnesb @ 12/13/13 01:35 PM
Honestly I accept VC for what it is. If its extra needed revenue for them to improve the game fine but at least ATTEMPT to balance the cost of things.

They give you so little VC considering the cost of things and the fact that its split across 3 modes you basically have to shell out real money to enjoy access to the full game or you're stuck at a disadvantage in MYCareer/MyGM and MYTEAM.

But more than anything its effecting design decisions (Always Online/Losing Staff Moral for not buying upgrades in MY GM) and that's what really gets my goat.

Here's hoping Live can put out something worth competition in a couple of years..

# 227 Guy Georges @ 12/13/13 01:47 PM
Isn't screwing people for money called prostitution in a sane and morale world?

# 228 Entiae @ 12/13/13 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjnesb
Honestly I accept VC for what it is. If its extra needed revenue for them to improve the game fine but at least ATTEMPT to balance the cost of things.

They give you so little VC considering the cost of things and the fact that its split across 3 modes you basically have to shell out real money to enjoy access to the full game or you're stuck at a disadvantage in MYCareer/MyGM and MYTEAM.

But more than anything its effecting design decisions (Always Online/Losing Staff Moral for not buying upgrades in MY GM) and that's what really gets my goat.

Here's hoping Live can put out something worth competition in a couple of years..
Aren't there career milestones that require multiple seasons of play that only give you like 500VC?
That's not even enough for a headband if I remember correctly.

It's strictly about profit.

# 229 law_1990 @ 12/13/13 04:39 PM

Ok it's stuff like that that makes the whole idea of VC being a somewhat reasonable thing a joke.
I get it. maxing out your player in 20 games ain't what mycareer is supposed to be and i'm down with that. But these prices are stupid. 15k. really?

The same thing applies to the shop. last year it was 400 for a headband. This year? 1,200.

Honestly i thought EA were the only ones with the balls to be this blatant but 2K are certainly giving them a run for their money.

# 230 VDusen04 @ 12/13/13 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entiae
Aren't there career milestones that require multiple seasons of play that only give you like 500VC?
That's not even enough for a headband if I remember correctly.

It's strictly about profit.
Yeah, I do not recall the exact number but in 2K13 I remember breaking Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's all-time scoring record (over 38,000 career points) yielded an incredibly low virtual currency reward. I feel one should be expecting an incredible award for setting such a mark.

# 231 MarvinOida @ 12/13/13 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Yeah, I do not recall the exact number but in 2K13 I remember breaking Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's all-time scoring record (over 38,000 career points) yielded an incredibly low virtual currency reward. I feel one should be expecting an incredible award for setting such a mark.

If you actually did that in one career in a yearly game, you should be getting 38,000 VC for every point and add another 50,000 if you did it from the game's lifespan before a new game came out (if that was possible)

# 232 VDusen04 @ 12/13/13 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
If you actually did that in one career in a yearly game, you should be getting 38,000 VC for every point and add another 50,000 if you did it from the game's lifespan before a new game came out (if that was possible)

Re-reading my post, it kind of makes it sound like I was saying I broke that record. I didn't, but if I did, it would have been the most disappointing payoff in my gaming history. I agree, it should have been 38,387 virtual coins, instead of 500.

# 233 MarvinOida @ 12/13/13 09:17 PM
Quote:
Re-reading my post, it kind of makes it sound like I was saying I broke that record. I didn't, but if I did, it would have been the most disappointing payoff in my gaming history. I agree, it should have been 38,387 virtual coins, instead of 500.

Now thinking about it, has anyone broken the points record? Cause if no one has, cue in the next NBA 2K competition.

# 234 Sundown @ 12/13/13 09:28 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure one should get a boatload of VC to further drastically improve their MyPlayer for an achievement or breaking a record. Seems unrealistic from a player progression/balance perspective.

However, there should be some sort of payoff, which makes me feel like VC shouldn't be used for attributes or skill points directly, but rather only for cosmetic items, sig skills (maybe), badges (which tend to be somewhat balanced), and animation packages. The most VC should do is allow you temporary 25% XP/Skillpoint boosts, or maybe allow up to 200% XP boosts (resulting in 300% total XP) for a limited time but with a pricing scale that gets increasingly expensive. In either case, people should be forced to actually play the game for their players to progress, and should be able to make reasonable progress in all modes at once without paying for VC XP boosts.

# 235 MarvinOida @ 12/13/13 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I'm not sure one should get a boatload of VC to further drastically improve their MyPlayer for an achievement or breaking a record. Seems unrealistic from a player progression/balance perspective.

However, there should be some sort of payoff, which makes me feel like VC shouldn't be used for attributes or skill points directly, but rather only for cosmetic items, sig skills (maybe), badges (which tend to be somewhat balanced), and animation packages. The most VC should do is allow you temporary 25% XP/Skillpoint boosts, or maybe allow up to 200% XP boosts (resulting in 300% total XP) for a limited time but with a pricing scale that gets increasingly expensive. In either case, people should be forced to actually play the game for their players to progress, and should be able to make reasonable progress in all modes at once without paying for VC XP boosts.

Well, scoring 38K in a myCareer career should just give you a lot of VC JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE DEDICATED TO actually do that lol.

i mean seriously, WHO HAS SCORED 38K and made the HoF with a myCareer player in ONE calendar year? I believe that you should be awarded a lot for that. If its like 100 points in a game, its really no big deal since everyone can do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 236 Sundown @ 12/14/13 04:00 AM
Quote:
Well, scoring 38K in a myCareer career should just give you a lot of VC JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE DEDICATED TO actually do that lol.

i mean seriously, WHO HAS SCORED 38K and made the HoF with a myCareer player in ONE calendar year? I believe that you should be awarded a lot for that. If its like 100 points in a game, its really no big deal since everyone can do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think there should be siginificant FUN rewards. I just don't think it should lead to weird, unsim overnight player progression without some effort-- but that just points to the whole problem with VC=Skillpoints design. VC should be used for XP boosts and non-skillpoint related upgrades.

# 237 PippenAintEasy @ 12/14/13 11:43 AM
To anyone saying 2K isn't trying to screw customers, just compare the rewards.

People in this thread are talking about how you make 500 VC for scoring 38,387 career points. That's less than you earn in one game.

Want to take a guess how much you earned in 2K11 before VC? 50,000 skill points. Sure you earned about 1000-3000 skill points a game if I remember correctly, but if they kept their conversion rate there, that should work out to about 20,000-30,000 VC if they were trying to keep things fair.

It's a complete joke. I've said this numerous times, but if you guys are upset with the way 2K is trying to turn gaming into a cheap gimmick found on free to play cell phone games, just don't buy their game next year. Switch to Madden, switch to FIFA, switch to NBA Live, switch to MLB The Show, get into PC gaming, play real basketball, do something else with your time, just don't buy the game day 1 until you get enough information to assure yourself that you aren't getting screwed.

Buying this broken game day 1 encourages them to put out a garbage product that's basically a middle finger to the fans since they're getting rewarded for it. Anytime someone's MyPlayer glitches and erases or whatever, they get rewarded for having a crap product if that person buys VC to get back to where he was. Not only do they half-*** the product, they treat us like idiots.

You have Ronnie2K and LD2K always browsing this forum pre-release and post-release but they'll never directly answer any questions about how greedy 2K's VC policy is or how broken some of the game modes are, or at best they'll give us a half-assed condescending answer. If we're waiting on a roster, "it's coming soon." If we get a patch "it addresses technical stuff" without any specifics.

It's time to stop rewarding 2K for this anti-consumer, grind or pay, unfinished piece of trash that forces you to be always online when 2K's servers are garbage. Come 2K15, seriously do yourself a favor and wait a week to see comments on the game before you buy it. Just doing that in itself will be enough to put pressure on 2K.

# 238 MarvinOida @ 12/14/13 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I think there should be siginificant FUN rewards. I just don't think it should lead to weird, unsim overnight player progression without some effort-- but that just points to the whole problem with VC=Skillpoints design. VC should be used for XP boosts and non-skillpoint related upgrades.

You are missing the point. you already had the accomplishment OF 38,000 POINTS! There's NOTHING UNSIM accomplishing it with that VC. Even IF you start a NEW myCareer WITH THAT, you'll lose it easy if you want speed.

# 239 NvME @ 12/14/13 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
If sales go down enough to where that extra revenue they get from VC don't cover the lost you better believe they will change things, and i'm really hoping that's what happens.

We can send them negative emails...read, tweet, and/or post articles all we want but it's not going to mean a damn thing if people don't take action and not buy the game if they continue like they are.
Bingo.

I'm not surprised it's come to this, though. 2K has been the only viable option for a playable basketball game for years. Simple economics, really. Corner the market, and then raise the praises and/or spread the cost of operation. How this ends depends solely on how the consumers respond.

# 240 Sundown @ 12/14/13 06:17 PM
Quote:
You are missing the point. you already had the accomplishment OF 38,000 POINTS! There's NOTHING UNSIM accomplishing it with that VC. Even IF you start a NEW myCareer WITH THAT, you'll lose it easy if you want speed.

I think you're missing mine. Everything about getting 38,000 VC at once to jack up ratings heavily by scoring that last bucket is unsim. Kareem shouldn't be able to max out his 3 point shooting from 25 the moment he scores that last bucket. John Stockton doesn't get to max out his dunk the moment he breaks the assists record. Ray Allen shouldn't turn into a shot blocking and rebounding monster the moment he hits his record breaking 3.

Being able to accrue large chunks of VC at once, by rewards or by purchase, and apply it directly to your player is unsim period. Which is why I prefer the whole mechanic go for XP boosts and things of that nature.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.