Home
NASCAR '14 News Post

NASCAR '14 is available today for both Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, check out the launch trailer here. Post your impressions after you get a few laps in.

A few reviews have been spotted online, we'll add to the list as they become available.

Game: NASCAR '14Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
NASCAR '14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Stormyhog @ 02/18/14 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Well if you do a 2% race at Marty - you cannot set fuel and tire wear high enough(only goes to X4 for each) to accomplish that, but at 5% races it looks like it might be needed this year - but haven't tested it - .
Ok thanks. How does the dualshock controller feel is control tight or loose? Thanks.

# 22 bluengold34_OS @ 02/18/14 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
Ok thanks. How does the dualshock controller feel is control tight or loose? Thanks.
Not bad, but I prefer the way the 360 controller feels. I tried to use the DS4 controller - but it didn't recognize it.

# 23 Proof21 @ 02/18/14 08:57 PM
Heading to the store to pick it up now. . Looking forward to racing with you guys.

# 24 brandon27 @ 02/18/14 09:35 PM
I want to kind of take back alot of what I said about the visuals earlier. I do still feel like they are maybe downgraded a tiny bit, but I think alot of it was my tv. I had the Motion Blur setting on for some strange reason, Once I turned it off, everything now looks much better overall. It still feels a bit toned down from last year, but its nowhere near as bad as I had mentioned earlier.

The more I play, the more I'm enjoying it.

Did have a race at Chicago though tonight too, did notice some braking issues from the AI. Not anywhere near as bad as previous though.

# 25 OPDriver @ 02/18/14 11:37 PM
Wow, this game is disappointing. Should have trusted my gut feelin amd just stick to pc racing.

# 26 Aggies7 @ 02/18/14 11:39 PM
Just picked up the game but at work til 0630. Anyone try out career mode yet?

# 27 Proof21 @ 02/19/14 12:51 AM
Initial Impressions:

I like the feel/look of the menu, seems to flow a bit better than the previous versions..the music is OK..doesn't bother me either way..It is also nice not to hear Carl Edwards at the game boot up!

Gameplay:

Played a few races..one just messing around (100% AI) and was smoked by the entire field..including my boy Front Row Joe. AI seemed to be a bit more 'racey' than they were last year..bumping me, and other AI cars. I enjoyed that quite a bit.

I then raced a 32 lap race at Atlanta...had a much better result (still finished deep in the field due to a blown right front tire)..I was able to not only run the high line, but also down low. Each seemed to have their own positives and negatives..just like a real race..I loved that. The AI also mixed it up with some running the high line and other running down low..again that was nice.

It took me some getting used to the new restart procedure for the game..the first few restarts I was just jamming on the gas pedal and driving like I was ice..I would then proceed to lose 8-10 spots and be a pretty frustrated driver. Once I got it down it was nice though..ESPECIALLY since the AI cars will spin their tires as well..I'm learning to love this new feature.

Overall I wouuld recommend this game to NASCAR fans. It isn't the GREATEST game by any stretch of the imagination, but this year I think the team has produced a very enjoyable racing game.

It's late (for me ) so I am unable to post any more initial impressions (will post more once I have more time with the game), but I have plans on testing out the online portion of the game and will post my thoughts on that as well.

# 28 [Icy] @ 02/19/14 03:54 AM
Couldn't manage to setup my G27 wheel to even a playable way.

I have played with the sensitivity but either it turns way too much or nothing, and it feels totally off with the on screen wheel.

Also I might be spoiled by Iracing and Assetto Corsa and even nr2k3 but the FFB is really bad, jerky and not related to the road to the point i prefer to have it totally off.

# 29 Motown @ 02/19/14 04:25 AM
Hmm...might have to pick this up. Is this available via digital d'load? thanks

# 30 [Icy] @ 02/19/14 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
Hmm...might have to pick this up. Is this available via digital d'load? thanks
Yes through Steam platform.

# 31 Cubfan @ 02/19/14 05:33 AM
Finished my first race at Atlanta and boy is the AI in need of some work. Still seeing break checking in the corners and straightaways. Also awareness issues the AI cars will just run over you. In one instance a AI driver was driving slow just before pit road and a second AI car just runs him over.

# 32 oldphart667 @ 02/19/14 07:10 AM
Pleasantly surprised. This game is fun, hardcore sim players won't like it, but it is actually deep in career mode. First, you start out as a no sponsor refurbished parts car.... You have to earn quite a bit of money to open up your R and D department in your shop. I played with 65% difficulty, 3xtire wear and 3x fuel, at 30 laps at Daytona. Somehow I got the pole for the big race.....not by much. Duels, I got kicked out of the pack, lost the draft and the pack. Pit stops and a wreck got me back to the pack, and placed 9th. AI was a hair quirky on the pits, like waiting to the last few laps to pit, but I would think that was do to the short duel race. My car in the race was a dog and that's how it should be! Now the big race was fun! Went from pole to 28th, then ended up in 34th. There was no AI yellows, ii am pretty sure I caused all the cautions! No DNF's........ 5 drivers one lap down.. Then a got a sponsor MOOG. I was supposed to put it on my car. This is my favorite addition, you are now able to use your own scheme or multiple schemes on each race! Paint booth, now you can design your car with a choice of around 15 base design's. I put MOOG on the car, changed a few colors. Next up Phoenix, before I went to the track......I had to pick my scheme to use, that is pretty cool! That's it for now, but I really do like this game it is fun when racing, handling is very good with a controller. This is based on a ps3.

# 33 brandon27 @ 02/19/14 09:10 AM
I was wondering... Does anyone know when the patch is supposed to be released? I was reading over on the Eutechnyx forums that PS3 users apparently have it, but not on Xbox360 yet. I can confirm I've yet to receive the patch on my 360. I've never seen a prompt to download it. Just wondering how serious we all should consider our impressions if the patch isn't out yet?

# 34 bluengold34_OS @ 02/19/14 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I was wondering... Does anyone know when the patch is supposed to be released? I was reading over on the Eutechnyx forums that PS3 users apparently have it, but not on Xbox360 yet. I can confirm I've yet to receive the patch on my 360. I've never seen a prompt to download it. Just wondering how serious we all should consider our impressions if the patch isn't out yet?
From what I understand - the patch is in the hands of MS and could be released anywhere from the next few days to the next few weeks. My impressions and review are all from the patched PS3 version.

# 35 TCrouch @ 02/19/14 10:43 AM
The controls are still somewhat wonky. Tried with both the TX Wheel and my Fanatec CSR Elite setup. I could get it to handle decently, but still not exactly where I want it. I didn't see any cars that didn't have to stop in a 10% race length on 4x wear, though, so that was good.

What I HAVE discovered is that I suck! I would put NR2K3 on 95% and race on default setups competitively. I tried 95% here and just got smoked. OK, 90%. Smoked.

85? 80? SEVENTY FIVE? Finally I was mid-pack competitive....in the default cars. Career car? Forget about it. I can qualify mid-pack, but then at the start I go zinging straight to the mid-30's and fumble around back there for the entire race.

Apparently I got really bad, really really fast.

I was so shocked by my first restart at Chicagoland that I thought my wheel was screwed up. I went sailing off into the wall, restarted, tried again--same thing. That's when I personally discovered the "spin your wheels" feature. I'll agree with the earlier poster--that is BAD ***. I've gotten a jump on the cars ahead of me at Phoenix that way, even in a crap car. Of course then I was stuck outside and lost 20 positions, but I gained 3 or 4 on the restart before plummeting!

Overall, I'm happier than I expected to be, but it's always easy to be happy the first day. It wasn't until the second week or the 50th race that I started really noticing things in the past. So I'm slightly more enthusiastic than I thought I'd be. Tempered enthusiasm, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It was VERY smart of them to release right before the 500 this year, though. 7 months or not, it was a smart move to get on schedule with the start of the year and not the end.

# 36 [Icy] @ 02/19/14 10:53 AM
How did you set your wheel in the game? because my G27 is jumping from side to side and can't control the car in straights.

# 37 TCrouch @ 02/19/14 11:07 AM
Same way as any other game, really. Go into controls and then go to the left (I use the left bracket key [ ) and set sensitivity, dead zone, linearity, etc. The problem for me is finding a happy balance on rotation angle (I've tried 900 all the way down to 210 and everything in between), linearity, and steering sensitivity. I monkey with that constantly, from race to race it seems.

With the G27, that's a FF issue at top dead center. Back your FF down some. I remember hearing about that with this game series in the past. The engine doesn't know which direction to apply force, so it just jerks it back and forth. There are 2 different FF settings--"road force" and "force feedback". Try leaving road force up and dropping FF. See if there's any difference. Play with those 2 sliders until you dial it out.

# 38 JeremyB @ 02/19/14 03:25 PM
Im enjoying the game so far.

Has anyone noticed on the PS3 sometimes the sounds seems like its fading? I thought after one of my pitstops things sounded softer? as in somebody tuned the sound down on the tv?? maybe its just me though

# 39 cusefan74 @ 02/19/14 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyB
Im enjoying the game so far.

Has anyone noticed on the PS3 sometimes the sounds seems like its fading? I thought after one of my pitstops things sounded softer? as in somebody tuned the sound down on the tv?? maybe its just me though

I noticed the sound seemed a little off. It would be good and then after a pit stop it would be different. Or after starting a different race it would change. I had the same thing happen in the last game.

So a couple of things I noticed so far in after about 2 hours of playing. At the plate tracks you have to be really careful bumping the AI cars in the corners. They seem to get loose really easy in the corners if you touch them. That's ok, it should be that way.

Also the AI seems really aggressive. I have it on 85% and I can run just fine with default setups, but man are they aggressive. Four and five wide racing at the front of the pack, then when you get shuffled back guys starting bouncing right off from me.

So far I like the racing, the AI is making it hard to stay up front, I like that! Gonna try some other tracks here in a few minutes.

# 40 brandon27 @ 02/19/14 06:04 PM
So the patch appears to be out for the 360... I got prompted to download it today. I'll finally get to see if I notice any difference.

I started my career finally. Qualified first for the Daytona 500. Then discovered what appears to be my first major glitch. I should be starting my Duel race on the pole, since I qualified first, instead it has me starting dead last. I'm not impressed. Unless there's a rule change for this year with the duels that I'm unaware of...

Restarted my career... qualified on the pole again, this time it started me on the pole for my Duel... strange..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.