Home
NASCAR '14 News Post

NASCAR '14 is available today for both Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, check out the launch trailer here. Post your impressions after you get a few laps in.

A few reviews have been spotted online, we'll add to the list as they become available.

Game: NASCAR '14Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
NASCAR '14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Aggies7 @ 02/20/14 10:38 PM
I ran a good deal of races this morning and also tested out career mode. Here are my impressions:

Graphics: 7/10

There has been a lot of talk about a graphics downgrade from the last version, I for one do not see this when it comes to the cars and tracks. The cars look very sharp and so far the tracks look and feel accurate. The only issue for me is the damage model during wrecks. Two things standout to me. The first is how cars take on contact. The cars really looks like bumper cars and do not at all crunch when hitting a wall at higher speeds. If damage is on full, and a car is spun out striking the wall head on, the front should push way in and it should either be a DNF or a long wait in garage. The second issue is consistency with damage. Sometime the damage with minor spins and contact is accurate and sometimes it
seems like they have metal straps around them like bumper cars protecting the body of the
car.

Sound: 9/10

There was a few times, the sound seemed to fade away on me, but I do not know if it is my TV to fault or the game. And seeing as that is the only issue I detected, I am very happy with the sounds for the game.

Control: 7/10
Using a controller at Daytona and Talladega with the aggressive AI, is near impossible as holding a line in the turns three wide typically resulted in accidents. They have a lot of options for steering sensitivity and I will need to tweak those to find what fits best. Possible adjusting those options will make the Super Speedways more enjoyable. Furthermore, cars still feel like tanks when you make contact. If contact is made with the rear quarter panel on an AI car, it should spin, not just wiggle and hit the outside wall and continue on like nothing happened.

AI: 8/10

This was a tough one, because without perfecting the controls and handling in the turns, the AI being aggressive is just frustrating. The main reason for the 8/10 is simple,
I personally like the AI being aggressive trying to win every race, as opposed to the past, where they would just move over and let you by.

Online: Not Graded

Did not get a chance to test out online, as I do not want to play with random folks, who turn each race into a demolition derby. Will have impression on this topic after I race
with folks who want to race and not wreck.

Paint Booth: 7/10

If you are good with the previous versions of paint booth, you will have no issues dealing with this version. I am not that advanced when it comes to paint booth so I struggled with the simpliest of tasks. What would put this over the top would simply be the ability to import images to put on your car.

Career Mode: 6/10

Very similar to past versions. When aquiring a sponsorship offer, I could not find how to add the logo to my car, until I tried to go to the next race and it prompted me to add the sponsorship. I am intrigued to see if there is year to year stat tracking, but due to time, I could not complete the first season prior to these impressions. Since I did not
make it to the second season, I did not get to see if there is a Sprint Unlimited for all the pole sitters from season one, but I assume there is not. I know Eutechnyx is working to make the career mode top notch, but they are still short of that goal. I like the sponsorship offers, but what about offers from other teams. Imagine getting an offer from Henricks Racing, to replace the retiring Jeff Gordon. Don't get me wrong Eutechnyx is going in the right
right direction,but need to keep improving.

Overall: 7/10

Sorry for any errors this was typed up and formatted on my phone.

# 62 BurghFan @ 02/20/14 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
AI cars pitting on last lap issue
Sigh, same thing happened to me plenty of times when playing Inside Line.

# 63 mkharsh33 @ 02/20/14 11:47 PM
Are these issues you guys are finding being reported back to those who need to know this?

I purchased this today. Our son played it for a bit and enjoyed it, but neither of us are die-hard. But just curious if they know what is being found. Thanks for the impressions! Very helpful and appreciate them!

# 64 volsfan39 @ 02/21/14 12:02 AM
I am new to this series. Can someone tell me how to save and view a replay?

# 65 cusefan74 @ 02/21/14 12:52 AM
If you are having trouble at Daytona with holding your line tighten up your car. I was having some trouble with my setup and I went in and tightened the car up a lot and it made a huge difference. I was able to start running three wide without wrecking. I'm not saying it will help everyone but it did me. I like my car tight at the plate tracks, I think it is easier to hold your line that way. I thought I had it tight enough and I guess I didn't.

Quote:
Had a real bad race tonight at Vegas. It was actually tons of fun up until the ending... it was a 27 lapper. I had wear and fuel at 4x to have some fun and trial runs at pitting and to test the AI. Actually, everything went perfectly. I had pitted twice already, and the entire field was pitting about with about 3 laps to go. I went in to the pits in the lead, came out 20 somethingth... understandable I guess as cars were cycling through stops, as the laps tick away, im now shown in in around 5th about 3 seconds behind keselowski who hasnt yet pitted. Final lap rolls around, Keselowski goes and pulls into the pits and the leaderboard suddenly drops me down to 25th, says I'm one lap down as I pass keselowski as he's on pit lane. As Im about half way through turn one, Keselowski hits the start finish line and is declared the winner.

Somehow Keselowski went from having a few second lead, to pulling into pit lane, and suddenly lapping the whole field by pitting??? I just threw the controller across the room onto the other couch, got up, turned off the xbox and grabbed a beer. In a sense, it makes sense I would be a lap down if he hadn't pitted yet... but the running order didnt reflect that. Then on top of that... why is it that when the entire field has been pitting together roughly at lap 11, then again around 22 of 27... how can Keselowski end up running an extra 3 laps... at 4x wear/fuel. Just a mess.

Guess I'm back to running races without wear and fuel use so the finishing order is at least correct, and logical. Either that, or finding a way to limit it to just one pit stop per race to limit the damage.

In the game's defense though, I ran about 3 races prior to that with the same settings, and experienced no issues.
Try running 10% length with 3x tire wear and fuel. Most tracks you only need one stop. That's what I run and have not seen any issues, even with guys pitting with 1 or 2 laps to go.

# 66 brandon27 @ 02/21/14 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
If you are having trouble at Daytona with holding your line tighten up your car. I was having some trouble with my setup and I went in and tightened the car up a lot and it made a huge difference. I was able to start running three wide without wrecking. I'm not saying it will help everyone but it did me. I like my car tight at the plate tracks, I think it is easier to hold your line that way. I thought I had it tight enough and I guess I didn't.

Try running 10% length with 3x tire wear and fuel. Most tracks you only need one stop. That's what I run and have not seen any issues, even with guys pitting with 1 or 2 laps to go.
Sounds good. I'll give that a try. It was my next thought, well that along with turning wear off all together. I did think having to pit 3 times during a 27 lap race was a bit too much. lol

I think I do need to tighten my Daytona setup up a bit indeed, but I want to kind of try and fix it up with the controller settings. Im pretty sure I read some settings somewhere for IL and they worked great the plate tracks, I just havent gotten around to putting IL back in to go copy them down. That would be my only option for controller settings since they dont really explain what anything does inside the game menus.

# 67 volsfan39 @ 02/21/14 10:13 AM
Am I doing something wrong or can you not run career mode with a wheel. It gives me an error and tells me to reconnect the controller. If this is the case then this game sucks. I knew I just should stay with 2k3 but wanted something a little different for a change. I will not race with a controller.

# 68 bluengold34_OS @ 02/21/14 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan39
Am I doing something wrong or can you not run career mode with a wheel. It gives me an error and tells me to reconnect the controller. If this is the case then this game sucks. I knew I just should stay with 2k3 but wanted something a little different for a change. I will not race with a controller.
You can absolutely run a career mode with a wheel - I have done it both on the PC and the PS3 version -

# 69 TCrouch @ 02/21/14 10:40 AM
That's news to me--when I do it on the PC, it works.

On the PS3, it says I have to use a controller when it comes time to pick your paint scheme. I know other people on the 360 had the same problem. Maybe it's the specific wheel type, I don't know. But my Fanatec CSR Elite will NOT let me start a career race on PS3, yet I can with either the CSRE or the TX Racing Wheel on the PC version without a problem.

# 70 OPDriver @ 02/21/14 10:43 AM
Just ran the Brickyard 400 in career mode. Actually made a last second pass to win it and did my burnout for celebration. It had the cutscene of getting out of the car, etc. Then it said 2nd place. I didn't win the race for some reason, even though it gave me the burnout time and celebration scene.

# 71 BurghFan @ 02/21/14 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPDriver
Just ran the Brickyard 400 in career mode. Actually made a last second pass to win it and did my burnout for celebration. It had the cutscene of getting out of the car, etc. Then it said 2nd place. I didn't win the race for some reason, even though it gave me the burnout time and celebration scene.
Again, something that happened plenty on Inside Line.

# 72 bluengold34_OS @ 02/21/14 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
That's news to me--when I do it on the PC, it works.

On the PS3, it says I have to use a controller when it comes time to pick your paint scheme. I know other people on the 360 had the same problem. Maybe it's the specific wheel type, I don't know. But my Fanatec CSR Elite will NOT let me start a career race on PS3, yet I can with either the CSRE or the TX Racing Wheel on the PC version without a problem.
Trying it right now again on the PS3 to make sure I am not going crazy -

EDIT - I am using the DFGT wheel and just had to hit the PS button on the wheel to start it - it's a little strange they make me turn off my wireless controller and hit the PS home button on my wheel and assign it as the #1 conroller - but it does work and I had no issues starting, navigating through the menus and hitting the track - all using the wheel.

# 73 bluengold34_OS @ 02/21/14 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPDriver
Well that sucks - no other way to put it.

# 74 TCrouch @ 02/21/14 11:06 AM
Must be compatibility with the DFGT specifically, then. I have no "PS" button on my CSRE, and it definitely doesn't work.

Even stranger, I have yet to run into a PS3 game where my Dual Shock 4 from the PS4 didn't work...until this game. I can navigate the dashboard on the PS3, and start the game with it. Go into Nascar and it's like I don't have a controller plugged in.

Glad they got their control issues sorted out in the past year+

# 75 bluengold34_OS @ 02/21/14 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
Must be compatibility with the DFGT specifically, then. I have no "PS" button on my CSRE, and it definitely doesn't work.

Even stranger, I have yet to run into a PS3 game where my Dual Shock 4 from the PS4 didn't work...until this game. I can navigate the dashboard on the PS3, and start the game with it. Go into Nascar and it's like I don't have a controller plugged in.

Glad they got their control issues sorted out in the past year+
Was truly disappointed the DS4 didn't work with this game also Terry. I know others have said they've encountered such instances, but not me. The DS4 works great on The Show, and was really hoping to see how it worked on this game also -

# 76 OPDriver @ 02/21/14 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
Again, something that happened plenty on Inside Line.
Never played Inside Line so this is new to me.

# 77 TCrouch @ 02/21/14 12:13 PM
That's the stuff we mean when we say things like "it's been there for years, so we're not expecting much this year".

It improves incrementally each year, and if the driving model itself wasn't so fun, it would be trash. There are tons of little supporting system issues with the game that seem to exist in each version. Stuff like that (win, but not win bug), weird starting orders and pitting sequences--caution comes out, you're running 10th. You pit, you come out in line about 7th or 8th behind somebody like Bowyer, Truex, and Jr. Then you get back to the restart and you're restarting 23rd with Bowyer, Truex, and Jr. up in 5th, 6th, and 7th. Just bizarre crap like that).

It's not something that happens every race, but it's also not so uncommon that the devs could have missed it.

And to an earlier poster--yes, we've relayed all of this directly to them for years. A few of us here were in the beta on PC and relaying this constantly to them last year. It's not for lack of information. It's for lack of ability to fix it, which is probably pretty difficult.

There's a reason I felt like flying flags at half mast when Papyrus quit making NASCAR games. I was there for their first one and watched the AI get better each version, and even reviewed the later ones for this site. It wasn't always as good as it ended up, and even the NR2003 had some AI issues that were quirky. But this one (like I've said before) is different in its method of screwups. There are numerous fundamental things wrong with each version they put out.

This one, SO FAR, seems like a step forward to me. But until I really nail down a career difficulty percentage that doesn't either have me winning the pole every race and then sailing backward through the field, or hopelessly outgunned at the green flag, I won't know for sure. I've started running a season mode to see how I match up in an equal car, and once I find a baseline there, go back to career and just pay my dues at the back of the field, knowing it's vehicle and not so much driver/difficulty.

# 78 cusefan74 @ 02/21/14 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
Sounds good. I'll give that a try. It was my next thought, well that along with turning wear off all together. I did think having to pit 3 times during a 27 lap race was a bit too much. lol

I think I do need to tighten my Daytona setup up a bit indeed, but I want to kind of try and fix it up with the controller settings. Im pretty sure I read some settings somewhere for IL and they worked great the plate tracks, I just havent gotten around to putting IL back in to go copy them down. That would be my only option for controller settings since they dont really explain what anything does inside the game menus.

Yeah tightening up the car might help you. I notice that at plate tracks when I have a loose car I have trouble around other cars with my car moving all over. I always try to keep it tight and it seems to help me hold the line I want better. People think the car has to be loose to be fast, but on the plate tracks you don't have to be.

# 79 Aggies7 @ 02/21/14 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
Yeah tightening up the car might help you. I notice that at plate tracks when I have a loose car I have trouble around other cars with my car moving all over. I always try to keep it tight and it seems to help me hold the line I want better. People think the car has to be loose to be fast, but on the plate tracks you don't have to be.

That's the way I have always thought. Loose is fast, but only on short tracks. The Super Speedways are all about aerodynamics.

# 80 bluengold34_OS @ 02/21/14 02:55 PM
For those that are on the PS3, we are lining up some races for tonight. If you're interested, just shoot me a PM - Right now we have like 5 guys, but trying to get 7-8 -

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.