Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

FranchisePlaySports has posted their MLB 14 The Show video interview with community manager, Ramone Russell. Plenty of good information was touched on with some bullet points below. Make sure you listen to the full interview here, hosted by Brian Mazique.
  • You can create the same amount of players as last year
  • You can still edit players to the same extent as last year
  • Create a Ballpark is coming, but not this year
  • Quick count info (Make sure you pay attention!)
  • Talks about some of the new animations (some are specific to PS4, like slap swings, Japan league style swings - A couple hundred fielding animations)
  • All injury presentations are brand new
  • 6 team minimum but only one human player needed in online franchise (clarified by Ramone in comments)
  • On PS4, you will see more closeups of the fans, signs they are holding
  • Talks about new camera angles
  • Commentary details
  • Crowd model details
  • Some RTTS details
  • Community Challenge details (Creating any situation)

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 kehlis @ 03/23/14 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I'm not a fan of some of these posts, but personally I think some unpopular opinions are being jumped all over for no reason.

I may not and do not agree with almost all the opinions of the people feeling let down right now (I'm loving what I'm seeing, by the way), but it's distressing to see some of these newcomers get jumped all over by some OS vets because someone is let down with a feature not getting in, or a screenshot not being what they'd expected, etc.

There are some trolls here, sure. But some posters are getting jumped all over for being underwhelmed and that sort of undermines the spirit of OS, if you ask me.
Very much agree and I said almost the exact same thing in a thread last week.

That being said, as Ebby Calvin proved in this thread, they don't help themselves in most cases by responding poorly.

Choice of words is imperative and when it's a poor choice they bring it on themselves.

By in large though, I very much agree with you which is why I try and get some of these people to articulate their points visually rather than just say x is terribly or y needs to be fixed NOW.

# 102 Curahee @ 03/23/14 01:55 PM
H&V, Youre right, but at some point its gotta stop.

There is absolutely nothing wrong expressing your displeasure with the game, the development of the game, the graphics.... whatever.

But when it gets to a point where its beating a dead horse even in the face of legitimate explanation, any retaliation one receives for their incessant complaining, is self induced.

I personally tried to explain it to him very respectfully and his initial response was, "Quite Pathetic".
Thats the sort of comment that begins the buffet of vultures on that type of carrion attitude.

# 103 Heroesandvillains @ 03/23/14 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee

There is absolutely nothing wrong expressing your displeasure with the game, the development of the game, the graphics.... whatever.

But when it gets to a point where its beating a dead horse even in the face of legitimate explanation, any retaliation one receives for their incessant complaining, is self induced.

I personally tried to explain it to him very respectfully and his initial response was, "Quite Pathetic".
Thats the sort of comment that begins the buffet of vultures on that type of carrion attitude.
I wasn't talking about his specific string of posts, but a general theme I've been seeing on here and the PS4 section lately. And it's worrisome.

I'm not speaking of you or anyone in particular at the moment, by the way. Just generalizing for now.

# 104 Curahee @ 03/23/14 02:13 PM
Quote:
I wasn't talking about his specific string of posts, but a general theme I've been seeing on here and the PS4 section lately. And it's worrisome.

I'm not speaking of you or anyone in particular at the moment, by the way. Just generalizing for now.
Im tracking you! And while I did target his particular posts specifically, its an indicative example of the epidemic that we usually have this time of year.
Lots of speculation on a game that has seen very little visual pre-release exposure. Basically, a lot of complaining with no basis and no regard to explanation.

# 105 eaw913 @ 03/23/14 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
so all the spring training/ minor league BPs are the same as on the PS3 or were some of them redone as well?

in general I dont get why the community didn't pressure SCEA into including 2 versions of MLB BP with retractable roof already long ago? I mean I would much rather have those in the game than classic, spring training or all the minor league parks..
It is likely all the spring training and minor league parks were rebuilt as well.

Also, I feel like there were limitations on doing it in the PS3 version. Maybe I am mistaken, but seems like the case. It's been asked about for a long time.

But I definitely do not understand why you would rather have a few open/closed dome ballparks that really serve no purpose other than visual satisfaction as opposed to spring training and minor league parks.. Maybe it is just me, but I would much rather have Spring Training and minor leagues included than 6 domed stadiums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I am not sure what a hardcore gamer means. If a hardcore gamer means someone who knows all the ins and outs of the nitty gritty details of MLB, then I am definitely NOT hardcore (though SCEA's The Show title has definitely helped me learn some of these details). But if hardcore is more like "spends many hours playing the game". Then I guess I am sort of hardcore.
I would say that is definitely what a hardcore gamer is. Which really can translate to hardcore baseball gamer. I love video games, but The Show brings out a new side to me. I love the tiniest of details in baseball and I follow the season religiously (all teams, not just my own). So I would consider myself hardcore.

# 106 SoxFan01605 @ 03/23/14 02:29 PM
Quote:

While that's true to a point, I would also think that, if this "community" is as mature as we profess it to be, we can hold ourselves to the same standard of respectful communication as we do new people. The legitimate explanation you reference rarely comes without surrounding condescending posts (sometimes even from the same person offering the explanation...lol). My point being, at some point, we can stop as well.

In other words, we aren't required to gang tackle every complaint (legit or otherwise) that comes across, so sometimes it's best to keep our mouths (err...keyboards) shut as well. Much of the trolling is exacerbated by posters feeling ganged up on because so many regulars feel the need to get their say in. It may even be in jest at times (though often that's a post-drama fallback/excuse), but put yourself on the receiving end of nothing but meme after meme and shot after shot and see how you fare in discerning the difference.

Point being, dissenting opinion is highly valuable if for no other reason that it demands a level of examination that like-mindedness obviously can't reach. People shouldn't have to tip-toe around the majority to get their point across. In terms of the actual trolls, as we can see, we have mods active here and a "report post" button that can much more effectively accomplish the clean-up work so many try to get in on. the beauty of trolls is that they can't help themselves and, eventually, will bury themselves. No need to tarnish ourselves trying to push them along.

Anyway, I'm not jumping on your post or meaning to belabor the point. So, I apologize for continuing off-topic! I won't post any more on the matter. (EDIT: To clarify, I'm speaking to the general forum behavior mostly in support of the good points brought up by H&Vs and kehlis, not specifically to this thread or any particular poster.)

More on topic (one soapbox later...lol ) I'm excited about the potential for create-a-stadium. Knowing how close we might be to having it when combined with the assets that DD already makes available, makes me drool at the possibilities of a beefier version of my ASB days!

# 107 Madden's Jowels @ 03/23/14 02:31 PM
nuke_21 just laid out a great blueprint of how NOT to critique the game.

I think for the most part others have been doing it respectfully and with good intentions though

# 108 Curahee @ 03/23/14 02:45 PM
Hey! Only 9 more days til MLB14/PS3 is available. Woo-hoo for April fool's Day!

# 109 metsfan4life1 @ 03/23/14 03:02 PM
Quote:
Hey! Only 9 more days til MLB14/PS3 is available. Woo-hoo for April fool's Day!

Those PS4 videos in the oven will be pretty tasty, ehh?

# 110 Curahee @ 03/23/14 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan4life1
Those PS4 videos in the oven will be pretty tasty, ehh?
IMO, GP videos never do the game any justice. Watching a 2nd hand video on a 15" screen vs the real thing on a 65"+ HDTV yields no comparison.

# 111 Knight165 @ 03/23/14 05:53 PM
Quote:
I'm not a fan of some of these posts, but personally I think some unpopular opinions are being jumped all over for no reason.

I may not and do not agree with almost all the opinions of the people feeling let down right now (I'm loving what I'm seeing, by the way), but it's distressing to see some of these newcomers get jumped all over by some OS vets because someone is let down with a feature not getting in, or a screenshot not being what they'd expected, etc.

There are some trolls here, sure. But some posters are getting jumped all over for being underwhelmed and that sort of undermines the spirit of OS, if you ask me.

While I agree somewhat......and I do feel that a "new"(sorry...but too many "new" guys are just PBU's) members should get a little latitude until they get a feel for what's acceptable for O.S.
However, while I also see a distressing trend here lately...it's the other side of the coin. There are many jabs at members from certain posters that are unnecessary and are just allowed to go without a word(PLEASE don't tell me I can report a post or thread.....I have never ratted on anyone and never will).
This is the first year since joining O.S. that I have thought taking a little self imposed sabbatical around this time of year....it's getting that annoying.
It's extremely tiring and IMO is the reason you are seeing more and more "backlash" when these things are posted.

Without a doubt.....thing need to be pointed out and discussed. Feelings should be heard...ideas translated...
But when it is the same droning over and over...ESPECIALLY when it's something the dev has specifically come on here and noted and/or addressed....it's when it starts to hit the absurd and somewhat comical level.

M.K.
Knight165

# 112 SilverBullet1929 @ 03/23/14 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I'm not sure you understand how it works.

It's not as simple as adding a roof that opens or closes.

They have to create two versions of each stadium with a retractable roof (I think there are 5 or 6). Building EVERY stadium from scratch this year it's not too much to ask to give them leniency on that this year.
Ya know, while I get everything u said here, im more irked that they chose the wrong option for having one version of each retractable roof.

For example Marlins Park and Rogers Centre should both be closed and not open if they had to choose just one. First of all both of those roofs are closed maybe 90% of the time throughout the season and most importantly I can't believe its actually possible to play in those parks with the roof open while it rains! Marlins Park was actually specifically built with a roof because of the Miami rain all summer long... but in the show it rains at Marlins park with the roof open?

Hate to rag on The Show but that really seems like a strange oversight.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

# 113 analogdan @ 03/23/14 06:14 PM
The thing about rebuilding an entire stadium is that it takes way more manpower than adding signs or other small features. Not all features are the same in terms of work-required.

And as for the Negative Nancies, just ignore them and let the conversation return to productive conversation instead of getting things off track. Plenty of productive comments here deserving of attention.

Back on subject: I was surprised that the crowd models had been reduced from >1,000 to a couple hundred, but I wouldn't have guessed that from looking at the screenshots. The crowd this year looks almost real, and is probably the biggest step up I can remember for this game in terms of realism in recent history. Very promising.

# 114 Curahee @ 03/23/14 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
im more irked that they chose the wrong option for having one version of each retractable roof. ... in the show it rains at Marlins park with the roof open?
This I would agree with.

If they couldnt do both, IMO the best option would be to make them closed.
However, then you would have the other half complaining that you cant open the roof.

You just cant please everyone. And they know that.

I admire their patience with some of these comments. Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogdan
I was surprised that the crowd models had been reduced from >1,000 to a couple hundred, but I wouldn't have guessed that from looking at the screenshots. The crowd this year looks almost real, and is probably the biggest step up I can remember for this game in terms of realism in recent history. Very promising.

So just IMAGINE what next year will look like! WW

# 115 thaSLAB @ 03/23/14 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
so all the spring training/ minor league BPs are the same as on the PS3 or were some of them redone as well?

in general I dont get why the community didn't pressure SCEA into including 2 versions of MLB BP with retractable roof already long ago? I mean I would much rather have those in the game than classic, spring training or all the minor league parks..
Not sure where ST and MiLB games would be played then?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

# 116 SK8RAK3NROLL @ 03/23/14 07:21 PM
community challenges... if i can set it up where i can practice diving catches and stuff like that id prob spend some time in that mode...create a ball park would be sweet put a create a team with it and create league even kooler..****ssel is a pimp lol

# 117 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/23/14 07:28 PM
Call me superstitious... But I do not like seeing these two sentences together.
Quote:
Only 9 more days til MLB14/PS3 is available.
Quote:
April fool's Day!

# 118 Curahee @ 03/23/14 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Call me superstitious.
Superstitious.

# 119 SK8RAK3NROLL @ 03/23/14 08:29 PM
hopefully we can download it at midnight and be playin by 2 . last year i ended up going to bed.

# 120 analogdan @ 03/23/14 08:32 PM
Didn't SCEA announce pre-loading coming in April? Not for The Show specifically, but there was an announcement recently.

Edit: Announcement here.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.