Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Check out the top 9 players at each position in MLB 14 The Show (all subject to change before official release on April 1st). A big thanks to NYYanks26, who has confirmed with us that he already has the game and sent us the screenshots.

Alex Rodriguez starts of in Triple-A.

Let the debate begin!

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 anchorsteamer @ 03/25/14 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolski
No chance. All around, Yadi is the best.
In the last 3 seasons (Sony's criteria for rankings), including one cut short by the injury, Posey is at 14 career WAR. Molina was 16.1 WAR over that period. It's true that Molina was "better" over that period, but he also played more games, so let's not pretend we can't logically deduce who might be better if they both played the same number of games.

# 62 Brewhaha @ 03/25/14 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
Its called grading on a PED curve.
Funny, but there's no evidence to suggest that he will be a significantly worse player now. We don't know if he was always using something, we don't know if he did it only once, we don't know if he will continue to do it. I thought the game used a formula based off the last few years statistics with no human element involved.

So, silly and vindictive.

# 63 bfielder @ 03/25/14 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhaha
Funny, but there's no evidence to suggest that he will be a significantly worse player now. We don't know if he was always using something, we don't know if he did it only once, we don't know if he will continue to do it. I thought the game used a formula based off the last few years statistics with no human element involved.

Ohh settle down, not 100% sure but i'm guessing there was some sarcasm there. Too many people get way too offensive over players of their favorite franchise.

# 64 Willis135 @ 03/25/14 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barsoffury
It's pretty laughable that A-Rod, Teixeira and Beltran are Top 10's in their respective positions.
Lets add Granderson to this list. Just to clarify, I don't get all hung up on player ratings once I start playing the game. Once I start a franchise the player ratings only matter within my franchise. I don't compare the players to their real life counterparts. It's my own little world at that point.

So with that said Granderson is an average outfielder at best. He can hit homeruns, I'll give him that but his strikeout ratio is terrible. So if we are talking about the top ten at each position he is probably in the top ten, but I feel he is way to high on the list. But as i said as far as ratings in the game go, once I start a franchise the player ratings don't bother me as long as the ratings progression/regression works well. Looking at these screens, I'm loving the trend toward lower overalls and the separation of elite players.

# 65 bfielder @ 03/25/14 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Cabrera being a 99 overall. Is he currently the best hitter on the face of the planet, absolutely! However, he is a liability on the field playing defense.

Even look at Trout... he has good speed, power, and range. However, he has an average arm at best (maybe below average for CF).

I know I'm knit-picking but I view a 99 as a great at everything. There is no position player today that is a 5 tool player. There are some that are close and deserve and 95 or 96 overall rating, but no 99s.
I don't disagree about Cabrera. Everything you said about him was correct, but Cutch is absolutely a 5 tool guy.

# 66 NewNapkin @ 03/25/14 03:03 PM
Wow, my Cubbies get no love? How is Luis Valbuena not in the top 10? MVP candidate and Triple Crown threat for sure!

This was too painful to type, I don't see how everyone else can homer on these ratings threads so easily...

# 67 KMRblue1027 @ 03/25/14 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfielder
I don't disagree about Cabrera. Everything you said about him was correct, but Cutch is absolutely a 5 tool guy.
IIRC Cutch isn't actually a good defensive CF. He's averaged something like -2.3 UZR/150 throughout his career.

# 68 Heroesandvillains @ 03/25/14 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhaha

But at least we know that whatever he says about it isn't true!

Should help the guys that care about this stuff hone in on their sleuthing.

# 69 YeOldTonk @ 03/25/14 03:51 PM
Hey, look at that! A Seattle Mariner is at the top of a list and another makes a list. Look out AL West!

Might have a chance to run with these guys this year.

# 70 pittsburgher86 @ 03/25/14 04:21 PM
So did they change they change the way OVR is calculated, these seem really strange/terrible to me.

# 71 Curahee @ 03/25/14 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan19
How is A-rod a 84.......? Really....? Should be a 70 something...
Doesnt matter. Hes in AAA anyway.

# 72 HustlinOwl @ 03/25/14 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan19
How is A-rod a 84.......? Really....? Should be a 70 something... But everything looks good other than the relief pitcher. Man they're low. They're should be a couple 90's. As a Reds fan I'm mad that Votto is only a 91.. Wait, I don't remember if it's that.. But it's close should be a 95 or 96. He came off a knee injury so his power & glove should be back this year. He was a 98 last year. I could understand if he went down to a 95 or 96. But yeah, I'm going to edit some ratings. Especially the Relief pitchers. I don't really like that.
keep relievers low nothing like Fantasy Drafts and seeing the AI take all relievers

# 73 baseballphanatic @ 03/25/14 05:33 PM
ya and last year u could literally trade a 90+ RP for ANYONE so that alone should help out trade logic by itself

# 74 Grnngld @ 03/25/14 05:35 PM
Which factors are weighed more heavily in the ratings? My feeling is that the traditional stats (Ws, AVG, RBIs, Errors, etc) have always been given more emphasis than sabermetric ones.

# 75 thaSLAB @ 03/25/14 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
keep relievers low nothing like Fantasy Drafts and seeing the AI take all relievers
Yep, solves the problem of relievers being overvalued. It changes the game, literally.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

# 76 wolfpack23 @ 03/25/14 06:18 PM
First off I love how the ratings are looking. It's nice to see that 90 ratings aren't being thrown around like they are going out of style.

However, my one criticism...and I should be used to this by now since he plays for Oakland is how Josh Donaldson is not up there on the top 9 third basemen in the game but A-rod is. I would be fine with it if you swapped A-Rod out for Manny Machado since third base is such a deep spot right now in MLB but honestly A-Rod should have had this rating three seasons ago.

Off of my rant now. Let me know if anyone has a counter to why he wouldn't make the list. Maybe I am off my rocker, but every statistical category for third basemen has Josh Donaldson near the top.

Edit: I wanted to note that I am nitpicking at this point to keep a constructive conversation going. I have bought the show every year for the past eight years and every year it gets better. I can't wait for the release on ps4 5/6 because until then my console is just building up dust while I play the show 13.

# 77 cardinals57 @ 03/25/14 06:29 PM
Just curious what you guys think Matt Carpenters rating should be? I didn't see him on the list....

# 78 wolfpack23 @ 03/25/14 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinals57
Just curious what you guys think Matt Carpenters rating should be? I didn't see him on the list....
I would think he would be at least an 83 or 84. He moved to third base this season after the Freese trade. Since that's such a deep position he probably just fell off the list.

# 79 MLB Bob @ 03/25/14 07:31 PM
Just to chime in, like the new rating system..I like the change in overalls and fewer 90's and upper 90's players.

Also to have my input on people stating things like "so and so" is old and wont be that good this year..you people do realize these arent projections or ratings based on projections right? They are ratings based on past performance and weighted averages with positional attributes weighted differently. They will be updated and changed as new stats become available. If they were projections Im sure they may be different..

relax...they are video game ratings and it doesnt mean a player cant out preform their MLBTS ratings..k?

# 80 ebarws6 @ 03/25/14 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack23
First off I love how the ratings are looking. It's nice to see that 90 ratings aren't being thrown around like they are going out of style.

However, my one criticism...and I should be used to this by now since he plays for Oakland is how Josh Donaldson is not up there on the top 9 third basemen in the game but A-rod is. I would be fine with it if you swapped A-Rod out for Manny Machado since third base is such a deep spot right now in MLB but honestly A-Rod should have had this rating three seasons ago.

Off of my rant now. Let me know if anyone has a counter to why he wouldn't make the list. Maybe I am off my rocker, but every statistical category for third basemen has Josh Donaldson near the top.

Edit: I wanted to note that I am nitpicking at this point to keep a constructive conversation going. I have bought the show every year for the past eight years and every year it gets better. I can't wait for the release on ps4 5/6 because until then my console is just building up dust while I play the show 13.

This was my first reaction. Couldn't believe he wouldn't be up in the top 10. No idea why that would be, but whatever.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.