Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Check out the top 9 players at each position in MLB 14 The Show (all subject to change before official release on April 1st). A big thanks to NYYanks26, who has confirmed with us that he already has the game and sent us the screenshots.

Alex Rodriguez starts of in Triple-A.

Let the debate begin!

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 decga @ 03/26/14 03:08 AM
I see they have Heyward as the Braves CF OVR 84! Ok this guy was rated 93-94 in 13'. I don't agree with that. I just will have to edit him to me liking. His defensive attributes should be in the 90's. Last year 93-94 OVR was too high, but 84 is too low. IMO

# 102 seanjeezy @ 03/26/14 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
It could be that The Show values offense more in the overal rating calculation for 3B and that Donaldson and Machado have lower offensive ratings than the other players. No saying they should, but each position in The Show uses different ratings in calculating the overall rating for players.
For Machado it's power, for Donaldson it's probably his first two years since they do account for 33% of his ratings.

This is how the game values ratings for third basemen:

Power>Hitting>Fielding>Arm Strength>Speed

# 103 KMRblue1027 @ 03/26/14 04:00 AM
It's really weighted that way? That's some really flawed logic to have different forms of production weighted differently depending on a position. Having positional adjustments for defense is alright but power somehow being worth "more" to a 3rd baseman than to any other position just seems illogical.

Really the overalls should be calculated by some baseline, say 75 OVR for a full time starter as worth 0 runs plus or minus, aka a 2 WAR player. Than every maybe every point of OVR in either direction could be 2 runs so every five points = one more projected WAR. A 100 OVR would be a 7 projected WAR player, aka Trout/Kershaw. Replacement level would be at 65 OVR. The vast majority of MLB players would be between 70-82ish OVR, with maybe 15 or so 90+ players.

This would hopefully also solve the problem of The Show massively overrating 1st baseman.

# 104 analogdan @ 03/26/14 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRblue1027
It's really weighted that way? That's some really flawed logic to have different forms of production weighted differently depending on a position. Having positional adjustments for defense is alright but power somehow being worth "more" to a 3rd baseman than to any other position just seems illogical.

Really the overalls should be calculated by some baseline, say 75 OVR for a full time starter as worth 0 runs plus or minus, aka a 2 WAR player. Than every maybe every point of OVR in either direction could be 2 runs so every five points = one more projected WAR. A 100 OVR would be a 7 projected WAR player, aka Trout/Kershaw. Replacement level would be at 65 OVR. The vast majority of MLB players would be between 70-82ish OVR, with maybe 15 or so 90+ players.

This would hopefully also solve the problem of The Show massively overrating 1st baseman.
It makes perfect sense. A shortstop who moves to 3rd base will have different value relative to other replacement-level 3rd basemen, even if they field the new position equally well. Context is important in statistics.

# 105 bayman @ 03/26/14 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRblue1027

5 of the top 10 highest contracts in MLB are for 1Bs or at least were last season. Your opinion on the value of 1Bs is irrelevant to how a proper sim should have CPU GMs value them.

# 106 homerjfry @ 03/26/14 09:48 AM
Generally like the ratings, but being a blatant Dodger homer here, I would put Zack Greinke with at least a 90 rating, and how is Kenley Jansen not 90 or higher!? That guy is a beast

Glad to see Adrian Gonzales is not in the top 10. Think he clearly slipped out of that the last few years.

# 107 hysteria499 @ 03/26/14 09:50 AM
I hope they are counting on Manny Machado being hurt. Because seriously? He is better then A-Rod and most of those third basemen.And he is young to boot so under rated. Nick Markakis is one of your best right fielders as well some of the best D out there good discipline. Not on there because of one down year? J.J Hardy makes the list and is only a 83 overall? He has hit 20 or more homeruns in the last 3 years straight. Again one of the best defenders on there? Least he made the list I guess. I agree where Jones is though. I also agree where Matt and where Crush are as well. O'day and Hunter both had pretty good years in the pen as well. Other then my little issues I like what I see in the rest. Well put together honestly.

# 108 WB1214 @ 03/26/14 11:19 AM
Why aren't people getting that made the formula for overall where there will be lower numbers? It's not that they just dropped your player off the planet with his actual ratings.

And if you don't like them, you can always edit them yourselves..

# 109 DanH35 @ 03/26/14 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB1214
Why aren't people getting that made the formula for overall where there will be lower numbers? It's not that they just dropped your player off the planet with his actual ratings.

Exactly. They changed the way the overall ratings are calculated. It would probably be best to wait until seeing the player's contact/power/etc ratings before complaining about how they are rated.

# 110 YeOldTonk @ 03/26/14 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1lent
King Felix is too low...
Totally agree. Was real surprised that he wasn't in at least the top 5, let alone top 3.

# 111 wolfpack23 @ 03/26/14 12:44 PM
Quote:

I totally agree with your point here. I feel that a rating of >90 should be reserved only for the best players. That being said I do like that players overall ratings are much lower this season as I would usually go in and edit ratings down in past seasons. Being an Oakland fan and a realist, I do not understand how Josh Donaldson is not higher than at least an 84 yet Cespedes somehow manages to capture an 88. I think those who follow Oakland and have a sense of reality would agree with me that his rating is way too high.

Side note: I can only speculate for now until I see the ratings. I also understand that Oakland players for the most part are going to receive lower ratings than most teams because they are built on pitching and platoons. It's hard to have high rated players when they only hit off of certain handed pitchers. Overall though I am beyond stoked to get my ps4 copy 5/6...in fact I am taking a vacation day from work to soak in all of it's majestic qualities

# 112 WB1214 @ 03/26/14 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack23
I totally agree with your point here. I feel that a rating of >90 should be reserved only for the best players. That being said I do like that players overall ratings are much lower this season as I would usually go in and edit ratings down in past seasons. Being an Oakland fan and a realist, I do not understand how Josh Donaldson is not higher than at least an 84 yet Cespedes somehow manages to capture an 88. I think those who follow Oakland and have a sense of reality would agree with me that his rating is way too high.

Side note: I can only speculate for now until I see the ratings. I also understand that Oakland players for the most part are going to receive lower ratings than most teams because they are built on pitching and platoons. It's hard to have high rated players when they only hit off of certain handed pitchers. Overall though I am beyond stoked to get my ps4 copy 5/6...in fact I am taking a vacation day from work to soak in all of it's majestic qualities
Exactly.. I can't complain about anything I see until the actual ratings. As for your Donaldson and Cespedes comparison, I'd think "3 year average" rating that has an effect on Cespedes still having good offensive ratings. He's also a good athlete with a strong arm, etc. All of those attributes add up.

I can see why a lot of people want the "overall" rating to be hidden. It would help with situations like this.

I simply look at Overalls, especially with the way they're using them now, as a way to grade a player's value. Are there players any more valuable than Trout, Miggy, Kershaw, and Cutch?

# 113 wolfpack23 @ 03/26/14 02:46 PM
Quote:
Exactly.. I can't complain about anything I see until the actual ratings. As for your Donaldson and Cespedes comparison, I'd think "3 year average" rating that has an effect on Cespedes still having good offensive ratings. He's also a good athlete with a strong arm, etc. All of those attributes add up.

I can see why a lot of people want the "overall" rating to be hidden. It would help with situations like this.

I simply look at Overalls, especially with the way they're using them now, as a way to grade a player's value. Are there players any more valuable than Trout, Miggy, Kershaw, and Cutch?
No sir. I am more than pleased that the players with the most impact in the game are made to stand out above the rest. I can appreciate the average's argument. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that the guy who was #4 in the AL MVP voting last season and finished near the top of every statistical category for 3rd basemen is rated so low. However, if we are going off of averages than Donaldson is where he should be. He only really came on in the second half of 2012 (rookie year) and was abysmal in the first half being sent down twice. He only finished that season hitting .241 with 9 HR's in 294 PA's.

# 114 Iceman87GT @ 03/26/14 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria499
I hope they are counting on Manny Machado being hurt. Because seriously? He is better then A-Rod and most of those third basemen.And he is young to boot so under rated. Nick Markakis is one of your best right fielders as well some of the best D out there good discipline. Not on there because of one down year? J.J Hardy makes the list and is only a 83 overall? He has hit 20 or more homeruns in the last 3 years straight. Again one of the best defenders on there? Least he made the list I guess. I agree where Jones is though. I also agree where Matt and where Crush are as well. O'day and Hunter both had pretty good years in the pen as well. Other then my little issues I like what I see in the rest. Well put together honestly.
JJ Hardy at an 83 seems about right to me. Remember this isn't a rating system like Madden, NHL, NBA, or MLB 2K. As someone noted earlier there are only 29 90+ overall rated guys.

You can't focus too much on the ratings, Machado is the only one I questioned (because he is comparable to defensively Simmons and better offensively and yet was, at best, sitting at an 84 while Simmons had an 86, I'm fairly certain its due to him coming off an injury and starting the season on the 15-day DL).

# 115 My993C2 @ 03/26/14 05:39 PM
I try not to worry too much about a given player's overall rating and instead try to focus more on the individual categories. I still may end up throwing it all away if I do decide to pick up MLB 14 next week. But I am in the closing days of Spring Training using a modified OSFM MLB 13 roster set and I have a RP with the Rockies (Wilton Lopez) who will most likely make the real world opening day roster. But in my games he has been horrible. It seems like every time I put him into a game, he gets into trouble. In the meantime I have another pitcher (Jordan Lyles) who has done a good job in Spring Training whenever I put him in the games. In this modified OSFM roster Lopez is an 81 overall while Lyles is only in the mid 70s. The overall rating tells me that I should cut Lyles and have Lopez in the bull pen on opening day. But based on how the two have played in my Spring Training games, Lopez should be sent down not Lyles.

# 116 hysteria499 @ 03/26/14 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
JJ Hardy at an 83 seems about right to me. Remember this isn't a rating system like Madden, NHL, NBA, or MLB 2K. As someone noted earlier there are only 29 90+ overall rated guys.

You can't focus too much on the ratings, Machado is the only one I questioned (because he is comparable to defensively Simmons and better offensively and yet was, at best, sitting at an 84 while Simmons had an 86, I'm fairly certain its due to him coming off an injury and starting the season on the 15-day DL).
yeah I got to thinking about JJ that is pretty fair. I looked at the team ones it showed and my jaw dropped. Not just for the Orioles but for other players I was like wow. I mean tilly at a 78? He deserves to be at least a 83 or so.

# 117 Cavicchi @ 03/26/14 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT

Machado is an 82.

Puig at 89 looks too high to me, and his speed of 68 looks too low. I think Machado should be higher than 82, reaction is too low at 72. Jimmy Rollins is 85. I know they can be edited, just saying....

Forgot about Trout. Vision 57 seems low. I know he struck out a lot last year, but he had over 100 bases on balls.

# 118 MrOldboy @ 03/26/14 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Machado is an 82.

Puig at 89 looks too high to me, and his speed of 68 looks too low. I think Machado should be higher than 82, reaction is too low at 72. Jimmy Rollins is 85. I know they can be edited, just saying....

Forgot about Trout. Vision 57 seems low. I know he struck out a lot last year, but he had over 100 bases on balls.
A lot of the player's speed seem low, but I think they must have tweaked it to create more of a game between the elite runners and the just fast ones. Seems like the "fast" guys in the 67-75 range and the "faster" guys are in the 90-94 range and then Hamilton and Bourn at 99.

# 119 Cavicchi @ 03/26/14 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
A lot of the player's speed seem low, but I think they must have tweaked it to create more of a game between the elite runners and the just fast ones. Seems like the "fast" guys in the 67-75 range and the "faster" guys are in the 90-94 range and then Hamilton and Bourn at 99.
What speeds do Cargo, Carlos Gomez, and Altuve have? I find it hard to believe there's nothing between 75 to 90.

# 120 MrOldboy @ 03/26/14 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
What speeds do Cargo, Carlos Gomez, and Altuve have? I find it hard to believe there's nothing between 75 to 90.
I don't have the game, just going off of the screen shots. There are some between 75-90, Crisp is an 86 and Victorino is an 80, Heyward is an 83, Revere 84, Pagan 81.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.