Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Community Challenges in MLB 14 The Show are one of the coolest new features that few people are talking about, most likely because there haven't been many people give them a try.

OS'ers have begun to form an official community challenges thread, which will likely become a very active game within the game in the coming weeks. There's a lot to like about the community challenges feature, here are some of my impressions of playing through the mode:
  • Creating challenges is easy, and the flexibility allows for you to really do some cool things.
  • Having to prove you can beat the challenge before issuing it can become tedious, especially if you want to design a challenge that's probably above your skill level but attainable. I do get the reasoning behind this decision though.
  • Playing challenges is the fun part, as there have already been some great ones pop up. One of my favorites was a sort of duel between Mike Trout and Yasiel Puig to prove who was better -- being that the creator was an Angels fan the end result was Trout was better for the record.
  • The risk/reward dynamic within the mode, of risking certain amounts of Stubs in order to try to complete a challenge for a big reward is actually fun tactically.
  • If you are into Diamond Dynasty, or any mode that needs Stubs -- then Community Challenges are a quick and unique way to collect them.
Have you tried the community challenges feature yet? What do you think?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 edwing @ 05/08/14 01:03 PM
I like the feature but I find that as of right now it's too easy to exploit for stubs. Most of the top ranked challenges advertise easy challenges which result in high payouts in stubs. It's something that should be fixed since stubs can be used for diamond dynasty.

# 2 HustlinOwl @ 05/08/14 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwing
I like the feature but I find that as of right now it's too easy to exploit for stubs. Most of the top ranked challenges advertise easy challenges which result in high payouts in stubs. It's something that should be fixed since stubs can be used for diamond dynasty.
not getting a whole lot out of them though? Only one I see and thats because of the large pool is this one. Again they are free to whoever, so why not take advantage and play the game

http://theshownation.com/community_challenges/12732

# 3 jyoung @ 05/08/14 07:02 PM
Is anyone else not receiving any stubs from winning challenges today?

I've beaten a few today, but I'm still stuck at 400 or so stubs I started with.

# 4 HustlinOwl @ 05/08/14 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

trying the Jeter challenge now, will report back when done

# 5 jyoung @ 05/08/14 07:25 PM
You mean "Jeter The Cheater"? I actually lost that challenge, and it took 250 stubs from me like it was supposed to.

But I am not getting any stubs whenever I win challenges today.

# 6 HustlinOwl @ 05/08/14 07:26 PM
Quote:

Just went 2 for 2 and got a cool 3000

# 7 jyoung @ 05/08/14 10:30 PM
Weird, I've beaten like 4 or 5 different challenges now and none of them have awarded any stubs afterwards.

But the game is more than happy to take my stubs whenever I lose a challenge.

# 8 Coolade @ 05/09/14 09:49 AM
the loading times are too ridiculous to make playing challenges worth anyones time.

# 9 HustlinOwl @ 05/10/14 01:05 AM
Mine based on Votto's walk-off HR tonight

http://theshownation.com/community_challenges/19758

# 10 CuseGirl @ 05/10/14 04:14 PM
Are we being given the difference between the reward and the cost or the sum? Because it seems like it subtracts the cost, then if I win, it gives me the reward but I don't get back the cost. So basically, if you spend 100 and win 100, there's no net profit.

Also, I retried a challenge two times, successfully, but then the third time, I exited and it didnt give me any reward at all.

# 11 jyoung @ 05/10/14 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
Are we being given the difference between the reward and the cost or the sum? Because it seems like it subtracts the cost, then if I win, it gives me the reward but I don't get back the cost. So basically, if you spend 100 and win 100, there's no net profit.
That is exactly what has been happening to me.

Surely this is a bug and not the way the mode was intentionally designed?

Otherwise, there would be no point to risking stubs if you have no possibility of a positive return on your investment.

# 12 Shaffer26 @ 05/11/14 08:46 AM
Trying to create my own CC and it's just not working. The only objective is to get the save. I have the situation set up and when I go to "prove yourself" i complete it but I still can't publish it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

# 13 aukevin @ 05/11/14 10:57 AM
I had fun creating a Community Challenge. I re-created the Buckner play from the 86 World Series. All you got to do is field the grounder to 1st and step on the bag to prevent the runner from 2nd scoring. You would think anyone could do it! Not sure how you find the challenge, if you can look it up by user name my ID is aukevin. I think I titled it "It gets through Buckner". I created Buckner and Stanley on the Sox, and Wilson and Knight on the Mets.

http://theshownation.com/community_challenges/21222

# 14 Woodweaver @ 05/13/14 02:29 PM
Quote:
That is exactly what has been happening to me.

Surely this is a bug and not the way the mode was intentionally designed?

Otherwise, there would be no point to risking stubs if you have no possibility of a positive return on your investment.
Can you check the success % for the Challenges in question? Not saying it isn't a bug, but...The reward was designed to be dynamic based on the success rate in order to prevent overly simplistic Challenges being created to allow for the "farming" of STUBs. So, the reward will drop and approach the cost as the ratio of attempts to successes approaches 1.

# 15 HustlinOwl @ 05/13/14 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Can you check the success % for the Challenges in question? Not saying it isn't a bug, but...The reward was designed to be dynamic based on the success rate in order to prevent overly simplistic Challenges being created to allow for the "farming" of STUBs. So, the reward will drop and approach the cost as the ratio of attempts to successes approaches 1.
I just did one labeled "Beat the Best" as Reds 100 for entry and 100 reward, started with 931 and still at 931

# 16 HustlinOwl @ 05/16/14 06:31 PM
was hoping any of this was addressed in yesterday's stream??? Also Ive created another based on Trout's GW HR last night, tell me this is scripted by how many attempts it takes you

http://theshownation.com/community_challenges/24874

# 17 cardinalbird5 @ 05/26/14 07:16 PM
So does this actually work?

It is nice to see devs answering questions in here, but why aren't these type of things in the game strategy guide?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.