Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

IGN posted their full gameplay stream of Madden NFL 15 complete with full gameplay. Here are some thoughts I had while watching the video through. Beware this is an early build of the game and some of the things which don't seem right could easily be fixed by the time of release.

I'd recommend listing anything you find with the hopes it might get fixed by the time release gets here. Here are some of my notes:
  • Kick meter is interesting, definitely inspired by Tiger Woods.
  • QB Run-Outs with real video is quite awesome. Wonder how they'll solve that with franchise draftees/etc.?
  • The game is much smoother now that there aren't any cut-scenes. The transitions are much better between plays.
  • Jump snap seems ok. It's a gamey thing, but it's one of those things Madden's defense has needed for years.
  • The DL/OL interactions are definitely improved. They're still not perfect, but they're definitely the best we've ever seen in a football game.
  • On the first user sack, it definitely looks like the d-lineman worked his way past the OL and left the OL standing there. That needs to be fixed, if an OL lets his assignment through, he's not going to return to blocking air. This actually seems to be a big problem in the trenches, kind of negates the other positives. Oops. Going to chalk this up to being an early build.
  • Switching cameras in game...that's a small but very significant change.
  • The new playcalling system is a huge change. Thankfully EA has left the playcalls by formation and play type in. They've added Coach Suggestions, Concept, and I believe Personnel is new but I'd have to refresh my memory (I'm a play-type guy).
  • For all of the talk of lower QB accuracy, Kaepernick and Wilson certainly don't miss much. I know they're really good QBs, but I was halfway expecting to see a few more 'off' throws.
  • Coverage seems about the same honestly from the couch viewpoint. There wasn't enough to really go off of, and this could be because that aspect isn't fully tuned or possibly because of difficulty concerns. But I didn't see much that seemed too different from previous Maddens.
  • Dropping back 20 yards and throwing still works but it's entirely possible this was on a lower difficulty...maybe.
  • Finally towards the end Kaepernick misses a throw to the corner and its almost picked. He was definitely a bit off balance. Again this could be due to difficulty levels being lower.
  • The matchup stick is actually really awesome. You can see where players have advantages on the field in real time.
  • Overall the game is more fluid than last year and definitely looks better. The defensive mechanics look like they add some new level to the game -- but exactly how much will only be able to be determined by some firsthand playtime.
Overall

It's far from bad, also just as far from truly great. Madden NFL 15 will be a Madden game through and through, and as I've said many times you either have to live with that or go without football video games right now if you don't like it -- Madden isn't changing its core style/pacing at this point. This will be another step forward for the series almost certainly, and if the modes offer some interesting/good experiences it could be a good year for the series once again.

What do you all think of the gameplay shown in the video?

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 DeuceDouglas @ 06/12/14 12:42 AM
Liked a lot of what I saw.

The presentation is really nice. I'd like to hear some commentary but that can wait. Absolutely loved the kickoff sequence at the beginning of the game. Only thing I might change about that is leaving the on-field, mobile camera guy angles to primetime games and have more of the fixed stationary stadium cam shots for the day games. Not a big thing though. Only thing that I didn't like about the presentation was some of the replays. Like after the Gore catch for the 1st down, I don't need to see two extended replays of a 3 yard catch from two different angles. It just kind of ruins the flow of things and leads to button mashing. If it's a big play, I like to see it but if it's a one yard run or something, just get me back to the playcall screen and let things play out in the background.

The cameras looked good. I don't see myself ever using the defensive lock camera but I'm happy for those who wanted it. I believe I read they have a regular defensive cam that is just like the offensive cam but from behind the defense and I might try that out.

Still too early to take anything away from gameplay, for me at least. They were obviously playing on a low level and the guy playing kept dropping back way too far.

One thing I really didn't like was the jump snap mechanic. The main thing I didn't like was the fact that it started after the snap. It should be something that you almost have to guess to get that jump and the window after the snap should be extremely small because if you're jumping the snap after the snap has been made, you're not really getting much of a jump at all. IMO, it should be something where your goal is hitting it right before the snap or as the ball is snapped and if you miss you either jump offsides for a penalty or you jump off and have to wait for the player to line back up.

Didn't really like the play-calling screen. Prefer the horizontal menus to vertical but that's a little thing. Overall I really like what I see though. Definitely needs improvements but if the sliders work properly, I can see some absolutely ridiculous hours being put into this.

# 42 jpdavis82 @ 06/12/14 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Liked a lot of what I saw.

The presentation is really nice. I'd like to hear some commentary but that can wait. Absolutely loved the kickoff sequence at the beginning of the game. Only thing I might change about that is leaving the on-field, mobile camera guy angles to primetime games and have more of the fixed stationary stadium cam shots for the day games. Not a big thing though. Only thing that I didn't like about the presentation was some of the replays. Like after the Gore catch for the 1st down, I don't need to see two extended replays of a 3 yard catch from two different angles. It just kind of ruins the flow of things and leads to button mashing. If it's a big play, I like to see it but if it's a one yard run or something, just get me back to the playcall screen and let things play out in the background.

The cameras looked good. I don't see myself ever using the defensive lock camera but I'm happy for those who wanted it. I believe I read they have a regular defensive cam that is just like the offensive cam but from behind the defense and I might try that out.

Still too early to take anything away from gameplay, for me at least. They were obviously playing on a low level and the guy playing kept dropping back way too far.

One thing I really didn't like was the jump snap mechanic. The main thing I didn't like was the fact that it started after the snap. It should be something that you almost have to guess to get that jump and the window after the snap should be extremely small because if you're jumping the snap after the snap has been made, you're not really getting much of a jump at all. IMO, it should be something where your goal is hitting it right before the snap or as the ball is snapped and if you miss you either jump offsides for a penalty or you jump off and have to wait for the player to line back up.

Didn't really like the play-calling screen. Prefer the horizontal menus to vertical but that's a little thing. Overall I really like what I see though. Definitely needs improvements but if the sliders work properly, I can see some absolutely ridiculous hours being put into this.
Almost exactly how I felt, I could hear the commentary better in the original live stream archive link direct from ign.com. I also really liked the pregame and Larry Ridley sounds pretty enthusiastic yet genuine.

I heard from Sim that the halftime is like nba 2k but maybe even better because it describes exactly what happened and then shows the highlight. The example given was if Pittsburgh was up 3 at the time and scored the 3 pts off a fumble but couldn't get a TD, it would say the Steelers forced a fumble and were about to score a TD but the defense held them to 3, it would explain exactly that and will also say the exact number of yards a play was then show the plays mentioned. The main thing is that the halftime is dynamic and always based on the game being played on the field itself not just generic lines.

# 43 Stikskillz @ 06/12/14 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
Not crazy about seeing Navorro Bowman on the kickoff team
Not sure why this is still an issue all these years with starters (esp. all pros) on special teams. Focus on special teams and include subs, aces, and back ups on these units. The 3 phases of football should be focused on, not just 2. I hope the kicking meter, wind and the field goal net weren't the only areas given attention. We shall see.

# 44 DeuceDouglas @ 06/12/14 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Almost exactly how I felt, I could hear the commentary better in the original live stream archive link direct from ign.com. I also really liked the pregame and Larry Ridley sounds pretty enthusiastic yet genuine.

I heard from Sim that the halftime is like nba 2k but maybe even better because it describes exactly what happened and then shows the highlight. The example given was if Pittsburgh was up 3 at the time and scored the 3 pts off a fumble but couldn't get a TD, it would say the Steelers forced a fumble and were about to score a TD but the defense held them to 3, it would explain exactly that and will also say the exact number of yards a play was then show the plays mentioned. The main thing is that the halftime is dynamic and always based on the game being played on the field itself not just generic lines.
Definitely be interested to see that. I'm not a huge halftime show guy at all but I'll still like to see what they have to offer. I did like the end of the quarter transition. It wasn't much but I don't think it ever should be. Still think they might have a little bit more in store presentation wise with CFM, but we shall see.

# 45 PacMan3000 @ 06/12/14 01:09 AM
I've always been big on presentation, because good presentation preserves the life of the game. If the game looks stale visually, that hurts the replay value overall, IMO.

This looked great. I think the run out with Wilson and the video is cool--I think it's something that unfortunately will get old, however. And what if you trade for Wilson in CFM in 2017, and now he's on the Broncos? Wilson in Seahawks garb then seems odd. I get where they are going with it though--but things like that need to be considered from all angles.

Loved the close ups of Kap pointing to the defense. I noticed these pre-play closeups were super short though---like 2 seconds long. They felt overly brief to me (by a second or two), and I can't quite tell if they are made to be overly brief, or if the player was button mashing.

I do think, however, that there are not enough close ups in the presentation. Turn on any CBS NFL broadcast--you're getting close ups of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Frank Gore post-play--especially as they walk back to the huddle or are in the huddle. Here, it's far too often a wide camera angle shot of the huddle, or medium shots. I'm all for variety, but come on, let's not only get closer in on the players like Madden 12 because it's true to real life presentation, but because these are the best graphics and player models in a football game to ever hit consoles.

Like the play calling screen being vertical. But I still don't know why you go to all that work to create a highly detail oriented game, and then play call screens are covering up the post play and replays? You gotta find a way to have us simultaneously search for our next play while still enjoying an unblocked replay.

Really loved the new player models. No more revolution helmet being too big for someone's body. Kap looking perfectly proportioned.

Also love that not only are the cut scenes gone, but the fact that they removed those awkward post-play animations of players getting off the ground with one leg and other strange things. More organic now.

I liked seeing little things happening, like Kap clapping as he breaks the huddle, or adjusting his facemask. I liked how players, once they transitioned from walking up to the line to getting in their pre-snap stance, it seemed less robotic than in past years.

Liked the down and distance showing. Really liked the end of the first quarter replay highlight package, and the helmets on the grass. I did find it weird there was a Russell QB intro, but not one for Kap.

The animations do need work, though. Still way too herky jerky for 2014. You can tell that, as pretty as the game looks, it's built on an old, unstable foundation of a decade of last gen Madden games. Problem is, in the 64 bit days, or the PS2 days, you could stomach it more. But when players are looking photo realistic, and presentation looks as good as it has in a long time, the animations hurt the immersion factor. It also hurts the realism of the game--guys just move in a smoother fashion in real life.

Tackling needs to be re-done. Maybe that's the big back of the box feature for 2016. Because as it stands, I just don't see a variety of tackles. Regardless of how many tacklers are involved, and more need to be involved, there just needs to be a much larger variety of ways to bring the ball carrier down.

I'm still seeing this weird post-play paralysis thing going on. And I hate it--where a guy will tackle another guy, and they'll both just lay there, almost like they are stuck to the ground with glue and can't get up. They look paralyzed--or it looks like a glitch. I'm disappointed that is a mainstay from Madden 25--really thought that would be gone.

# 46 johnnyg713 @ 06/12/14 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
If it's of any use to anyone, I've slowed down all the plays for examination.

I'll be honest, some animations look better when they are slowed down like that. QB drop backs and play action actually look good at the slower speed. Maybe EA should slow down the animations a little.

# 47 DeuceDouglas @ 06/12/14 01:13 AM
A couple more things. I seriously wonder if Phil Simms has an issue with the way his likeness would look talking because they literally cut away right as he is about to start talking. I think there was one or maybe two intros last year where they showed him talking. Anyways, not important. Just an observation I always have noticed.

I've seen a lot of people mentioning what would happen in the QB intro for Russell Wilson or Kaepernick if they were to get traded or end up on another team. My guess is that they would just remove the part where they're showing the NFL Films stuff. What I'm curious about is how a guy like Johnny Manziel or Blake Bortles or any of the rookies will be handled seeing as how there is no NFL footage of them and will continue to be none until after the game comes out. Again, my guess would be that there would just be nothing there but who knows.

# 48 Aggies7 @ 06/12/14 01:15 AM
The new presentation is a start. I love the videos next to QB run out. Just hope they keep adding to presentation.

# 49 johnnyg713 @ 06/12/14 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossMan84
I dont really understand how difficulty level makes AI dumb? This is something that I dont understand about football games? So if i change the difficulty then my players act dumb or cpu players act smarter? Or my lineman blocks air? Or receivers drop the ball on purpose? Or the DB runs in the wrong zone or whiffs coverage because I change difficulty? I think difficulty should be different, maybe better coaching not just a bunch of blown assignments.
Completely agree with this but people suck at the game, plane and simple. If you're joe shmo and you're playing the game just to get sacks and kill the QB, there has to be some way to let you have your fun.

# 50 PacMan3000 @ 06/12/14 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
The problem started in Madden 13 to be exact. It's all tied to problems with Infinity. Remember in 13 the players would usually just get up and fall over each other. I guess the paralysis is a band-aid.
Wow, you're right, it was Madden 13.

I mean, I'm happy it's been toned done in Madden 15 but I can't believe it's still in there.

# 51 jpdavis82 @ 06/12/14 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
The new presentation is a start. I love the videos next to QB run out. Just hope they keep adding to presentation.
It should only keep getting better with Brian Murray there. He's the former senior cinematographer for NFL Films and he's the director of Presentation now. This is his first year and it already puts Madden's presentation far beyond anything Madden has ever done.

# 52 jpdavis82 @ 06/12/14 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
They're not going to redo animations now. The best window for that was coming into this gen. They made a decision not to do that, so we're stuck with this for the rest of the generation, give or take some animations. Even knowing that, it's infuriating watching animations from Madden 06, bad animations at that.

There are even post-play animations from Madden 08 and 09. They tell us about all of this new stuff with post-play, but all they're doing is changing camera angles in these scenes while using old animation sequences from old Maddens. Last generation Maddens. And speaking of angles, what's with all of these far-off shots during post-play here? It just ruins the very concept they're promoting. Did they forget what they did with Madden 12? Look at these correct angles in Madden 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a58Hw-4x6as

How do you go from that to what's in Madden 15? What the heck?

These tackles in M15 are so bad, man. Why is everything a spin-down or a pull-down? And why are they having pro QB's drop the ball below their waists like that when they set? Those are 1930's era fundamentals that have been obsolete for generations. They even do it when they scramble in the pocket, smh. And when the QB's are mobile in the pocket their upper bodies are so overly stiff and static while their feet are dancing a jig, moving around the pocket like there is a rocket pack strapped to their back. You can still drop back super fast and unrealistically far with little or no consequence.

The graphics are so good, it's a shame they're being cheapened by all of this.
Signature animations as well as things like WR/DB interactions are already being worked on for future Madden titles, as new animations are created the old ones will slowly fade away, Rex and Cam have animation replacement on their priority list too. He mentioned these things in his podcast this and last year. If the game doesn't meet your expectations until these things aren't in there, don't buy it until the game has what you want to feel satisfied.

# 53 jpdavis82 @ 06/12/14 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
A couple more things. I seriously wonder if Phil Simms has an issue with the way his likeness would look talking because they literally cut away right as he is about to start talking. I think there was one or maybe two intros last year where they showed him talking. Anyways, not important. Just an observation I always have noticed.

I've seen a lot of people mentioning what would happen in the QB intro for Russell Wilson or Kaepernick if they were to get traded or end up on another team. My guess is that they would just remove the part where they're showing the NFL Films stuff. What I'm curious about is how a guy like Johnny Manziel or Blake Bortles or any of the rookies will be handled seeing as how there is no NFL footage of them and will continue to be none until after the game comes out. Again, my guess would be that there would just be nothing there but who knows.
This is in my video thread but here's a direct feed video, easily can hear all the audio from the game
http://youtu.be/ADT9T60Hzsw

# 54 bigwill33 @ 06/12/14 02:37 AM
Game is looking alright, overall. There are gameplay faults that everyone has mentioned, but it keeps improving at least. I do still long for true gang tackling and pileups the most of anything that is missing to me. DB/WR interaction is next. And special teams needs a total revamp!

I am digging the looks and graphics of the game. I do wish that they would make the play call screen have stats from the game for both team and individuals. They had it nearly perfect on the PS2 with the early Maddens and NCAA games.

I personally don't have a need to be told what plays to call or when, as I am sure most of the people in the OS community wouldn't either. Nice to have it as an option for the newer players, but I need more immersion. Show me stats, out of town scores, and other vital info. Not what percentage of the plays the rest of the online cheesing community is running.

# 55 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/12/14 02:48 AM
Why are all players wearing high socks on the sidelines?

# 56 Lilgoosy @ 06/12/14 03:21 AM
well we can say everything we want, but this game looks damn good.

don't get me wrong, i know Madden flaws and i know that until we don't play the demo at least we can't say anything accurate but, let me tell you, i am becoming the chief of my own hype train and i feel like after years of "meh" games, we are finally getting something good to play and worth watching.

every sports game has his flaws, nba 2k does, the show does, but Madden is entering in a new level of "having flaws", flaws that are more tolerated because the overall look of the game is beginning to look amazing to me

# 57 DaveDQ @ 06/12/14 08:32 AM
My question is still, "what exactly does Ignite do?" To see a second defender just stand there while another tackle is happening and then walk away is just as awful now as it was 20 years ago.

Of course though, the game is perpetually in the process of being built "from the ground up." I know that is harsh, but I'm paying them.

# 58 slashpg88 @ 06/12/14 08:54 AM
+ Presentation is very close to a CBS broadcast. Why not get the music and logos while you're at it? Or get similar broadcast for all the other networks instead of just CBS, they do play football on other networks

+ The defensive camera is nice but we've seen it before. Nice addition with the early jump on the line tho

+Graphics are looking great but that's never the problem, its the gameplay

- Same Madden we see every year. might be time for a rebuild

- Why are the players moving so fast? Frank Gore doesn't run like that, full speed all the time and can instantly juke and spin. Players tire the longer they run, we should see the stamina in their running. Slow down the game, its too much like a video game than actual football

- Did anyone else notice the first sack on Wilson? It looked like an old case of magnet tackling. The D-lineman dove and Wilson just got sucked into the sack, I thought we were done with this?

Grade B-

# 59 STLRams @ 06/12/14 09:02 AM
I'm honestly impressed by the presentation so far and how the gameplay looks so far. I'm praying that we finally get some DB/WR interaction and some pass interference calls. The devs have two finally put these two things in the game this year, not wait till Madden 16, we've been asking for this stuff for a long time. Anyway I have to admit that I am impressed so far.

# 60 wordtobigbird @ 06/12/14 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstardad
Just my observation and personal preference, but I would like to see a game played on the "SLOW" speed setting, as that is what I play on. I've always felt that Madden plays "better" on the slow setting vs normal. Normal imo, makes the game feel herky-jerky and gives it an arcade feeling.
Going to piggy back off this. Does anyone play Madden on default settings? I think most of us don't yet we still judge these videos that are default settings on pro difficulty.

I wonder how much some of you guys saying it "looks the same" "same old madden" "same gameplay" played Madden 25?

I played A LOT of Madden 25. I can name you 10 gameplay differences easily. I can't be the only one seeing these little things. Go back and reset your M25 to default and play it. This video is leaps and bounds ahead of that. Of course I can still name 10 things that need to be fixed/could be improved but to ignore the improvements isn't right.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.