Home
NASCAR '14 News Post

After announcing an upcoming NASCAR '14 patch way back in April, the NASCAR '14 team has finally released it.

Check out some of the details below.

Quote:
Hey all, thanks for getting in contact with us about the update. For those having the following issues, they are due to the transition between the original game and the update, you will need to restart your entire career / season, not just a race, in order for the changes to take full effect.

• Caution comes out before restart.
• Car won't clear the track
• Even after restarting the race, the 87 car won't clear the track
• Qualifying undefined so players can't get to race
• Won't load on single player
• Can't play Watkins Glen

We are also aware of an issue with players who try to make two sets of pit stop adjustments while qualifying and the Chase Elliott car name. Our team is looking into this.

Not a lot of good feedback so far. A couple of people have posted some photos of what they are seeing early.

Read the full press release below.

Gamers Are the First to Experience New Chase for the Sprint Cup Format with Updated NASCAR® ‘14

Deep Silver announced today the availability of a free, robust gameplay update for the hit racing game NASCAR® ’14 that will allow gamers to be the first to experience NASCAR’s new Chase for the Sprint Cup format.

Developed by ETX Racing, the NASCAR ’14 gameplay update features the expanded Chase field of 16 drivers and new round-by-round advancement format that will decide the next NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion. The free gameplay update also includes the changes outlined below. A full list of improvements is available on the ETX Racing web site, www.ETXRacing.com.
  • New qualifying and Chase format rules announced by NASCAR in early 2014
  • Additional drivers to complete a full field of 43 Sprint Cup drivers
  • Various gameplay refinements around pitting, decals and paint, and the online private lobby
  • Difficulty setting adjustments designed to bring AI closer to the selected level
  • Adjustments to Darlington and Kansas race lengths
NASCAR ’14 launched in February to rave reviews, including from AutoWeek.com who promised the game will “...win fans over,” Operation Sports.com who said, “the game is just flat out fun to race” and Bleacher Report reported, “because the gameplay and career mode is solid, this game will get the majority of my virtual racing attention.”

A perfect racing season companion, NASCAR fans can look forward to regular NASCAR ‘14 paint schemes and Highlights DLC packs throughout the season, which concludes with the final race at Homestead-Miami Speedway in November. This is your chance to live the moment.

Game: NASCAR '14Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
NASCAR '14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 cusefan74 @ 07/09/14 01:48 PM
From what I am seeing they are talking about another patch already. It seems that this patch really didn't help much and made things worse in some areas. This company is a lost cause I think, they can't seem to do anything right.

# 22 bluengold34_OS @ 07/09/14 03:49 PM
It sucks that so many are disappointed. The group I race with actually have enjoyed the patch, and the game as a whole now - that's just us though.

# 23 TCrouch @ 07/09/14 04:24 PM
Maybe that's the difference, Bob. If you're running online (and it works, which is different than last I tried), that would be a big part of it. Or maybe longer races with lower wear percentages, like a 50% race on 2X or something, would create less obvious issues. I'm curious what you run as far as race length percentage, AI percentage, fuel and tire wear.

Because I ran a few races on the 360 last night and watched "the train" follow each other around Richmond unless I stuck a nose under, at which point they wiggle-spazzed and would go up into the wall, halfway through a spin--and then magically right themselves.

I mean, it's exactly what it's been the whole time for me--a sometimes fun little diversion that looks sorta like NASCAR. But as a mostly offline gamer, there are a plethora of issues I still saw within 30 minutes. If you are meaning the group you LITERALLY race with, perhaps that's the difference...online vs. offline?

# 24 bluengold34_OS @ 07/09/14 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
Maybe that's the difference, Bob. If you're running online (and it works, which is different than last I tried), that would be a big part of it. Or maybe longer races with lower wear percentages, like a 50% race on 2X or something, would create less obvious issues. I'm curious what you run as far as race length percentage, AI percentage, fuel and tire wear.

Because I ran a few races on the 360 last night and watched "the train" follow each other around Richmond unless I stuck a nose under, at which point they wiggle-spazzed and would go up into the wall, halfway through a spin--and then magically right themselves.

I mean, it's exactly what it's been the whole time for me--a sometimes fun little diversion that looks sorta like NASCAR. But as a mostly offline gamer, there are a plethora of issues I still saw within 30 minutes. If you are meaning the group you LITERALLY race with, perhaps that's the difference...online vs. offline?
We are running offline, but are talking with each via text, and phone. We are typically running 20% to 50% Race Now races, with full qual and damage on. We see some of the issues that most are describing on here. but we also see a decent amount of good in the game also.

Trust me I'm not on here trying to convince anyone to like the game, or convince people that the game is better now, post patch - and truthfully, it doesn't even matter what myself and three others see or don't see. When a person plays a game, they are going to look at that game in a certain way, and we all have our own way of looking at things.

# 25 Stormyhog @ 07/09/14 05:09 PM
I think people who follow the sport religously will be more harsh on the game than say a more casual person. Not a negative mind you as the passion for the sport you want it to be reflected as close as can be to real life. Where a casual like me will play it & if I am enjoying it & having fun I can overlook things. I am the same way with the NHL series I critique the game & look at everything alot closer than a casual would as I love & follow the sport. I'll still play the game warts and all but I do understand why fans of Nascar might be down on it.

# 26 TCrouch @ 07/09/14 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
We are running offline, but are talking with each via text, and phone. We are typically running 20% to 50% Race Now races, with full qual and damage on. We see some of the issues that most are describing on here. but we also see a decent amount of good in the game also.

Trust me I'm not on here trying to convince anyone to like the game, or convince people that the game is better now, post patch - and truthfully, it doesn't even matter what myself and three others see or don't see. When a person plays a game, they are going to look at that game in a certain way, and we all have our own way of looking at things.
Oh, I know. I trust your opinion and didn't think you were doing anything like that at all. I know I've just always had bigger issues with this series than you have when I've spoken to you, but the PC version is definitely better than the console versions, for sure. Since my PC is gone for repair (again), I'm stuck trying the console versions for now.

The longer races would make sense if I could nail down a solid difficulty setting that I had fun with from start to finish. Seems so long ago that NR2003 had such a good balance. It didn't get wildly different from qual to race in the same race weekend, for example.

# 27 cusefan74 @ 07/09/14 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
I think people who follow the sport religously will be more harsh on the game than say a more casual person. Not a negative mind you as the passion for the sport you want it to be reflected as close as can be to real life. Where a casual like me will play it & if I am enjoying it & having fun I can overlook things. I am the same way with the NHL series I critique the game & look at everything alot closer than a casual would as I love & follow the sport. I'll still play the game warts and all but I do understand why fans of Nascar might be down on it.

I follow NASCAR and watch all the races every week, and when it comes to video games I can overlook things alot. I know games aren't gonna be perfect and don't expect them to be. I can live with the pit strategy for the AI being messed up. I can live with not having a NASCAR game where cars never break down or blow a tire. But, we can't have 4 and 5 wide racing at short tracks, and cars that never have to pit during a race, or the AI just running you right over.

There is one more thing that I don't expect and that is everytime I try an online race my PS3 locksup. I can only do 1 or 2 races and then it freezes, unacceptable. That is my biggest thing, I could actually overlook everything else if they would just fix that.

# 28 Stormyhog @ 07/09/14 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
I follow NASCAR and watch all the races every week, and when it comes to video games I can overlook things alot. I know games aren't gonna be perfect and don't expect them to be. I can live with the pit strategy for the AI being messed up. I can live with not having a NASCAR game where cars never break down or blow a tire. But, we can't have 4 and 5 wide racing at short tracks, and cars that never have to pit during a race, or the AI just running you right over.

There is one more thing that I don't expect and that is everytime I try an online race my PS3 locksup. I can only do 1 or 2 races and then it freezes, unacceptable. That is my biggest thing, I could actually overlook everything else if they would just fix that.
Yeah I hate when there are technical issues with games like freezes drives me nut's. BF4 was horrendous at launch crashing all the time. Made me not want to play it.

# 29 bluengold34_OS @ 07/09/14 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
Agreed - and although I follow the sport every day of every year, your point is well taken. I see the warts, but I also saw the warts with NASCAR 2003(PreMod) with all of EA's efforts, and I guess I am just the idiot who wants to race NASCAR so badly, that I tend to be a bit more forgiving.

# 30 BurghFan @ 07/09/14 06:47 PM
So I'm trying to run the 3rd race of my career and it keeps telling me "you don't have enough credits to buy this part" and won't let me go to the race???

Really, I don't know how the game can not provide an earnings breakdown after every race. Pretty sure it did in the 1st game.

# 31 TCrouch @ 07/10/14 11:11 AM
Played this with a controller last night instead of my wheel and it was a much smoother game, control-wise. Ran a 10% race at Phoenix with 4x wear, which always had the CPU two-pitting it when you could one-stop it. They didn't do that this time, which was good.

But they're way too slow on and off pit road. I qualified 4th, ran up front and gained a 2 second lead by lap 16 for the first stop, and when I came out after pitting and the stops cycled through, I was 7 seconds up...and I really screwed up the pit entrance. So I still think they're a bit too slow on and off pit road, like they wait for each other way too much.

The dreaded wiggle is still there, but I can deal with that stuff to some extent. Having a race that was fun was better than what I'd been having. Now I'll just have to find a difficulty balance that gets me fun races like that without me running away from the field--and I still had an AI car poke his nose under me a nanosecond after I drifted up half a lane in T3 at Phoenix. It would likely be chalked up to "don't drift up, then!" but most real drivers don't cut it that close, especially if the other driver might end up coming back down. Not unless they know them.

Thankfully, I just sort of banged off their fender and righted the ship, then pulled back even exiting 4 and beat them to 1.

I was pleasantly surprised with a controller--not so happy with a wheel.

# 32 jmik58 @ 07/10/14 01:16 PM
I cleared all the data from my PS3 and installed the patch.... I can't tell a difference in gameplay.

The AI still dives into the tiniest gap and railroads the human drivers, treating every lap and situation as if it's the white flag just flew and we're battling for the win.

So frustrated.

# 33 TCrouch @ 07/10/14 02:15 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about there, as the same thing happened to me in a race I DID have fun with. But my counter to that would be this:

They stopped rear-ending you when you get into the corner, at least.

Yes, the drivers act as if every gap is a last-lap pass waiting to happen, but there is a solution there, and it's not to overdrive the corner and leave the gap. Once I did it once, I just backed my entry up and stuck it low and I never got rear-ended like I used to getting into a corner. And if you DO end up leaving that gap, if you try to close it down immediately again, you're going to get clipped, guaranteed.

So the moral of the story is, don't leave the gap. They don't actually drive right up into YOU, but they definitely take away the line you wanted to have, so you don't want to immediately drive back down into THEM. That's what I've seen 99% of the time when that happens.

You're right that they shouldn't be so eager to take that gap the nanosecond you create it, but it stopped being a problem for me once I realized that I could get into the corner without getting cornholed if I slowed my entry a hair more.

# 34 cusefan74 @ 07/10/14 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I cleared all the data from my PS3 and installed the patch.... I can't tell a difference in gameplay.

The AI still dives into the tiniest gap and railroads the human drivers, treating every lap and situation as if it's the white flag just flew and we're battling for the win.

So frustrated.

I did the same thing, clearing all my data and reinstalling. Except I noticed a big difference in the AI racing. I did 53 laps at Vegas and it was the funnest race I have had on this game. The AI didn't railroad me at all in the race. I had some side by side battles with guys and everyone stayed on their lines. It was actually alot of fun.

edit: I'm gonna add this to it. I tried to run a race at Martinsville and notice I said tried, four wide first turn, couldn't move forward at all because it was four wide for 12 laps. Cars were banging and beating off each other. Finally I just turned it off.

# 35 BurghFan @ 07/22/14 12:12 PM
According to ETX Facebook page, the next patch will go live for PS3 sometime today. They're still waiting on approval from Microsoft for the X360 patch. I just hope the patch was executed better than the writeup announcing it.

Quote:
ETX NASCAR
7 hrs · Edited ·

Hi guys, following the completed release of a second update via STEAM for PC, the update was submitted to both Sony and Microsoft. It has been approved by Sony and will go live on the PS3 today. It will be released on Xbox 360 as soon as the Microsoft approval process is completed.

The update includes the following:

Qualifying\pitstop issue resolved - Players no longer being held in the pits if they go in more than once during qualifying
Chase Elliott name displayed correctly
Michael Waltrip and other new added driver’s bodies will now appear when celebrating wins
Fixed undefined Qualifying time some players are getting during race set-up
16 cars only now eligible for The Chase
Career/Single Season compatibility (Fixes issues with stopped cars, restarts, missing driver in the standings)
Kansas & Darlington lap counts correct
Missing track type specific upgrades in the career car builder added
Improved handling of the ‘undefined’ qualifying time issue (which some people in race modes may still be having an issue with)
The Daytona Duels now use the old style single car qualifying again
Fixed points calculations during the chase
Re-balanced some AI profiles
Career/Single Season compatibility (fix for all the issues with stopped cars, restarts, missing driver in the standings)
Kansas & Darlington lap counts
Missing track type specific upgrades in the career car builder
Improved handling of the undefined qualifying time issue (could still be broken for some people in some race modes before)
General crash fixes
Pitting time adjusted to take into account timing for tire pressure adjustments and changing tires
Issue with AI not taking over in pit lane at slow speeds resolved
All-star qualifying fixed
Being able to play as a Nationwide driver in a single season fixed
Also, regarding the Daytona DLC ...

Quote:
ETX NASCAR
36 mins · Edited ·

Hi guys, to all those asking about DLC - this will be available once the new update has been made available for Xbox 360 (currently awaiting approval with Microsoft) and will include the free Daytona paint scheme DLC
https://www.facebook.com/etxNASCAR?fref=nf

# 36 brandon27 @ 07/22/14 02:42 PM
While I'm glad to see another patch has been issued and should be out soon, I sure hope it actually helps. I can deal with the railroading AI if I deserve it... However I can't deal with 4 wide at Martinsville etc. etc. I haven't played the game since about a day or two after the first patch... I'll try it again maybe after this patch hits, but Im not holding my breath for big improvements.

# 37 BurghFan @ 07/23/14 12:42 PM
Saw a little while ago that the new patch will be live sometime today for you X360 guys.

# 38 guitarhawk410 @ 09/22/14 06:25 AM
I am trying to play on my ps3 but the controls are all messed up. It keeps acting like im using peddel/steering wheel when im not and i cant reset the controls to R2 to go and L2 to break. and the game wont pick up my analog sticks at all for steering and no matter what i cant get my car to go past 152 mph even when drafting because breaks lock up......any help would be appreciated =)

# 39 BurghFan @ 09/29/14 12:00 AM
Well, looks like we can now confirm that the Chase is still messed up as far as the eliminated driver's points are concerned. On nascar.com it now shows the eliminated drivers points as continuing from 2000 whereas in the game the eliminated drivers points revert back to what they would be had they missed the Chase entirely.

# 40 brandon27 @ 09/29/14 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
Well, looks like we can now confirm that the Chase is still messed up as far as the eliminated driver's points are concerned. On nascar.com it now shows the eliminated drivers points as continuing from 2000 whereas in the game the eliminated drivers points revert back to what they would be had they missed the Chase entirely.
Can't say I'm surprised. I'd actually forgotten about this game. Partially because the patches still left a poor taste in my mouth after trying it, then I bought my XB1 and haven't touched it.

Shame to hear something is still not working properly though. I'll probably trade it in tomorrow when I go pick up Horizon 2 rather than letting it sit on the shelf at home collecting dust.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.