Home
The Golf Club News Post

While EA is slowly making it's return to golf with PGA Tour 15, another Canadian studio is trying to make an impression with The Golf Club, coming this summer to Xbox One, PS4 and PC. It's already out through early access on Steam, but I got a chance to try out the Xbox One version of the game at E3 2014 back in June.

The gameplay pitch for this Unity-powered golf simulation is that it's an actual simulation, with a proper learning curve and a reduced number of assists from what you'd usually find in the Tiger Woods games. This means that there are no landing indicators on shots and that the player has to line up an approach with some level of foreknowledge. The Golf Club uses analog swinging, and there is even more room for error than in the Tiger Woods games. This doesn't mean that it's unfair, but each shot will have to be executed carefully to avoid shanking. Your swing is represented by a graphic on the side, and this helps provide useful feedback should things go awry. There is also a grid-like interface for adding spin, draw or fade on the ball.

Read More - The Golf Club Hands-On (Xbox One, PlayStation 4)

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mike24forever @ 07/16/14 11:31 AM
Great write up which makes me even more excited for this game. I cannot wait until it is released.

# 2 N51_rob @ 07/16/14 11:44 AM
I have been looking forward to this game all spring.

# 3 charter04 @ 07/16/14 11:48 AM
This will be the first Golf game I may get in years. If it's 30 or less I'm getting it.

# 4 GrandMaster B @ 07/16/14 12:00 PM
Should be out soon. They just sent it to the consoles for approval.

# 5 supermanemblem @ 07/16/14 12:14 PM
I have a ton of courses from my hometown that I want to create. Looking forward to this.

# 6 Hunkerdown @ 07/16/14 12:16 PM
Cannot wait, hurry up on xbox one!!

# 7 TheBleedingRed21 @ 07/16/14 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
This will be the first Golf game I may get in years. If it's 30 or less I'm getting it.
I would not get your hopes up for that. It is $35 on steam and somewhere the devs said it would be close but probably not cheaper.

# 8 mebby @ 07/16/14 12:23 PM
Really nice write-up! I'm definitely getting this one on release day.

The fact that you can design/tweak a hole and then immediately test it out is a game changer. I foresee many hours of course creation/perfection coming my way. Very nice!

# 9 GrandMaster B @ 07/16/14 12:30 PM
They will also be adding themes, objects and other enhancements. So this game will be played for years and years.

# 10 DirtyJerz32 @ 07/16/14 01:06 PM
Nice write up. Can't wait to dive into this game when it gets released.

# 11 speedtrucker @ 07/16/14 01:46 PM
the only other time I got really interested for a golf game was when Augusta National made it into EA Tiger Woods... normally it was a "well, I got TW '03, '05, '07 and '09... guess I'll get this years now that it is already out"

this one has me excited because the course creator sounds deep and massively impressive. also, I LOVE the fact that it is a golf game that removed the assists and boosts. I have never been interested in playing a round on TPC Sawgrass in an spacesuit with bluejeans and sandals... I also got beat down by 1 month into the game my created pro is driving 400yards, backspinning a draw 15 feet to the right for a double eagle from 200 yards out because I bought the Nike Driver, Adidas golf glove, oakley sunglasses and nuke golf ball all for a +50 driving distance and +50 accuracy.

I'm just hoping that a few of my buddies are as interested in this game so we can share courses.

and if this game is sub-$40 for XB1, I'll be extra excited.

# 12 mcmax3000 @ 07/16/14 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
I would not get your hopes up for that. It is $35 on steam and somewhere the devs said it would be close but probably not cheaper.
I'm expecting a $39.99 price point on consoles personally.

# 13 OnlookerDelay @ 07/16/14 04:50 PM
Could you get a sense of the frame rate of the XBox One version? I know the last report I read said they were "targeting" 60 FPS, but weren't quite there yet. Did you get the impression that you were looking at 1080p graphics,and possibly, how it compared to the PC version at 1080p/High-Detail graphics?

# 14 bluesfan13 @ 07/16/14 05:16 PM
Super excited for this game. Haven't bought a golf game in years, but this makes me want to return.

# 15 Shaffer26 @ 07/16/14 05:52 PM
Great article. Can not wait to create courses. That feature alone made Sims Golf one of my most favorite games of all time, so it's nice to get a big chunk of that game back on the next-gen consoles.

# 16 turbineseaplane @ 07/16/14 06:23 PM
Are you guys at all concerned about all the things missing from the game given that they are already close to console release? (submitted to Sony/MS at this point)

There's no weather, no course condition settings, no preferences for any of the camera swooping and zooming, still lots of "interesting" ball physics at times...

...They sure are banking a TON on "fixing it with patches later" (by their own admission in their forums).

Maybe that works well for PC games, but it seems like an odd approach to a console release that will get reviewed for "what it is" at the time of release.

I wonder if they need the money from sales at this point or something maybe?

# 17 DirtyJerz32 @ 07/17/14 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
Question: If the community creates a course, is it downloadable for others to use?
Yes it is! That's the beauty of the game. I know the PC guys have been making courses already. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this cross-platform course creator?

# 18 ocat @ 07/17/14 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
Yes it is! That's the beauty of the game. I know the PC guys have been making courses already. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this cross-platform course creator?
Yeah this is what I've read. Because the course creator creates courses by mathematics, cross platform course sharing is possible as each course is basically a unique set of numbers, not code or graphical assets.

# 19 globalbeats7 @ 07/17/14 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineseaplane
Are you guys at all concerned about all the things missing from the game given that they are already close to console release? (submitted to Sony/MS at this point)

There's no weather, no course condition settings, no preferences for any of the camera swooping and zooming, still lots of "interesting" ball physics at times...

...They sure are banking a TON on "fixing it with patches later" (by their own admission in their forums).

Maybe that works well for PC games, but it seems like an odd approach to a console release that will get reviewed for "what it is" at the time of release.

I wonder if they need the money from sales at this point or something maybe?
this is a rare sports title that doesnt need to come out every year. with that, they can make improvements as we move along as long as the core release is solid. sure it wont be perfect at first, but with the course creator and cross platform capability, it will be the social experience that the devs are banking on upfront.

# 20 greenegt @ 07/17/14 12:04 PM
This is the first of my summer/fall planned purchases. I hope it does really well.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.