Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

(Promoting this post to the homepage, written by Mike Wang, Sr. Game Designer for NBA 2K15)

Let me clarify up the design of the shot meter. In previous 2K's, shot timing was just another factor within a huge list of other things that spit out a final shot % which we then rolled dice against. So really, it was Real Player % with a bit of help from the user. But the skill of the user had a minimal impact.

In 2K15, all factors that make up a good vs. bad shot get rolled up into a value that then scales the timing window for your jump shooter. So now, timing is a much more crucial factor in whether you make or miss. This puts the onus on the user to execute with more precision and separates the skilled users from the lucky ones. It's actually very similar to the design of Free Throw shooting. You can make the shot if you manage to get perfect timing but your % falls the further you are from the ideal release point. If you're way off, it's a guaranteed miss.

It's also a much more useful feedback system. If you're unfamiliar with your players, it's much easier to get a sense of their timing by glancing at the meter. Also, it's much easier to see how close or off you were with your timing after the fact to help you learn... much more useful than the letter grade system (which is still an option btw.)

My intention was never to make shooting a "meter game." The most successful people in the office are the ones who still watch the shot animations for visual cues of when to release, using the meter only for feedback or for occasional guidance.

I knew there would be some concerns, so let me try to address those now:

- No, you cannot "master" the meter and hit every shot you take
- Yes, you can turn it off in the options menu
- Yes, Real FG% is still an option
- Yes, it is very difficult to get "perfect timing," especially on the higher levels

Hopefully that clears some things up. IMO, shooting is much more engaging now and I think you guys will like the feature.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 261 Nathan_OS @ 11/11/14 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparJimmy
soooooo.... i missed my first green lit icon on the shot meter with klay thompson...anyone else have this happen on this rigged game? lol i thought all shots green were automatically bucket? this game should fix this.... and what made t so bad he was wide open and clanged it off the backboard, i dont get it....
Noooo. They don't need to fix anything. Every perfect shot should not go in.

# 262 Vroman @ 11/11/14 03:13 PM
I missed perfect release with J.Wall (3 pointer) and E.Gordon (leaning mid), but its basically auto swish when you see the blink.

# 263 MoparJimmy @ 11/11/14 04:07 PM
ive played over 120 online games and its only happened once lol, thank God because id be pissed otherwise, the meter is pretty accurate but annoying, i mean you should miss if its green, they should make it yellow if they want you to miss, green is money last time i looked in my wallet

# 264 MoparJimmy @ 11/11/14 04:09 PM
shouldn't i meant* sorry for the typo

# 265 MoparJimmy @ 11/11/14 09:57 PM
i new here and cant seem to start a new postor thread but can anyone tell me why my nbs 2k15 freezes randomly on startup? and if i say go to practice mode it will freeze as well for about 30 secs and then do it all over again , WTf is this, its really pissing me off....xbox 360 btw, this game has given me more headaches than any other

# 266 Sundown @ 11/11/14 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_OS
Noooo. They don't need to fix anything. Every perfect shot should not go in.
This. I like the tiny bit of suspense. If it were up to me, we wouldn't have a green release at all.

But I guess the green is like Larry Bird missing that shot in the '87 Finals where every Celtic fan and Larry himself was sure was going in?

# 267 thedream2k13 @ 11/11/14 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KehliahoMauiFootball
Shot meter = cheese. Play a few games of online blacktop for all the proof you need. An arcade fest. Glitch shots = cheese. 3pt % are ridiculous this year.
Play against a friend on hof Sim and prepare to cry if u rely on shot meter

# 268 bls @ 11/19/14 10:04 PM

This shot meter gotta be one of the worse ideas in sports gaming history. Isn't this similar to what EA was trying to do with ELITE? Shot percentages in this game is just broken. Theres nothing competitive about this game. Defensive contest seem like they don't register at times. Fadeaways 3s falling at a high clip. Sometimes it's just better to leave well enough alone.

# 269 MeloNYK7 @ 11/20/14 05:09 PM
too many missed open shots. i like the older system when u could miss perfect releases but it was easier. u could at least make open shots more consistent.

# 270 MeloNYK7 @ 11/20/14 05:12 PM
i get what they were trying to do but this shot meter has ruined the game. shooting makes no sense. I took it off and started making more shots but it;s still hard to hit open shots with really good shooters. its was just a bad idea and i hope its removed and return to the old system 2k16. very fortunate, 1 feature can ruin the shooting with ruins everything

# 271 DaWarrior @ 11/21/14 08:57 AM
https://www.scribd.com/doc/247255539/2k15-brokenshots

its not the meter thats broke its the game. HOF is completely trashed.

# 272 bls @ 11/21/14 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyProdigy
Playing online is like 2K12 all over again, everyone can shoot the 3-ball like Ray Allen.
Truth!!! Mixed with 2k8 double teaming

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

# 273 stillfeelme @ 11/21/14 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWarrior
https://www.scribd.com/doc/247255539/2k15-brokenshots

its not the meter thats broke its the game. HOF is completely trashed.
Yup it is not just the meter the actual releases are broken or glitched to the point you can't get a perfect release with players. It is not just on HOF though some are glitched on Superstar too. So if you play on HOF you basically are being punished twice you get less perfect releases because some guys can't get a perfect release and then you get a bigger penalty of shot success because you are on HOF. With this the shooting %'s are noticeably lower on HOF. The glitched players are bringing down the % on HOF for players who can actually shoot it is a bug and I hope they patch it.

# 274 Dregs @ 12/25/14 02:23 AM
I'm glad you made some changes, but I do have a question for some of us who do not like the meter. Can you or will you have a patch or going to make a change allowing people to turn it on or of in My career mode because i 100% hate it. I am a 90+ 3 point shooter PG/SG yet I have to rely on the dumb meter every time.

It's really dumb to force the meter on gamers who dont want it in my career mode because if someone has certain skills to make them a better specialty player, the meter should at least slow down for the advanced skilled equipped player.

Here's are my signature skills
Catch and shoot
Deadeye
Cool and collected
Microwave
Unfazed

3 pt shot is maxed out so it most of the mental attribute.

# 275 mostpured @ 12/25/14 02:31 PM
I don't really like the shot meter because I actually like to see the form of the people I shoot with and a very simple thing I'd like to see implented is: For those who have the meter off and have the shot timing feedback on, it will be great if the feedback had more responses than 3 which are: excellent, slightly early, and very late. The margin is way to big for slightly early and you have no idea if it was close to being perfect or not so its hard to practice. I'd like to see almost "almost excellent" as a target because obviously, its impossible to get "excellent" all the time.

# 276 jk31 @ 12/25/14 05:37 PM
Have you ever thought about using the shot meter as a feedback for how far off you've been with your shot timing? I always look at the shooting form to get the release point and just use the shot meter for feedback purposes...

# 277 mostpured @ 12/25/14 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
Have you ever thought about using the shot meter as a feedback for how far off you've been with your shot timing? I always look at the shooting form to get the release point and just use the shot meter for feedback purposes...
Yeah I know I could do this but I keep looking back at the meter to try and match it up

# 278 mostpured @ 12/25/14 06:16 PM
It should be autonatic

# 279 Brokedan @ 08/13/15 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
A perfect release doesn't magically mean the player can actually make that shot. I can release that scrap of paper perfectly any time from my desk, still can't make the trash can 4 feet away.
You do not practice throwing that plane everyday to learn the trajectory; bad analogy in my opinion. In a Basketball videogame a perfect release should indicate a perfect shot, why confuse people or anger them with miss shots unless they feel it was deserved.

A perfect release should be taking into account court position and the skill of the players character, that should be a major factor in a perfect release.

# 280 Sundown @ 08/15/15 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokedan
You do not practice throwing that plane everyday to learn the trajectory; bad analogy in my opinion. In a Basketball videogame a perfect release should indicate a perfect shot, why confuse people or anger them with miss shots unless they feel it was deserved.

A perfect release should be taking into account court position and the skill of the players character, that should be a major factor in a perfect release.

Seems like so much of this is caused by calling a green release a "perfect" release and giving it some gimmicky 100% bonus success rate.

It should simply have been an "excellent release". That way players wouldn't have been obsessed with hunting greens over playing basketball because a green effectively bypasses the sim engine when achieved.

If a "perfect release" with 100% accuracy must exist, then it should have been limited randomly, also capped by the sim engine. Even with a perfect button timing, there should have been a random occurrence of it happening based on player attributes and in game factors.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.