Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

When you take the full team roster ratings from the initial NBA 2K15 roster, and run them through a super-secret mathematical formula to determine their relative strength, the results of which team's you will see played with most in 2K15 are what you'd expect, some teams feel as if their ratings won't reflect their real-to-life performance and some feel completely spot on.

The method behind these ratings (forever kept a secret in a cave across the world), is that star players are given much more value than role players. Also you have to keep in mind the rosters also don't reflect major injuries like Paul George at Indiana -- so the results will be skewed somewhat from what is expected on the real court this season. A team's entire roster depth is examined, but more weight is given to the very best players on a roster and their overall as those are the ones who will be on the court the most. Weaknesses of this system is that these are based solely on player overall ratings, so skill players and key cogs aren't weighted as highly as they might be otherwise, but the overall talent level on each team is fairly well represented.

So here's what the computer came up with:
  1. San Antonio - 18.25
  2. Cleveland - 18
  3. Oklahoma City - 16
  4. L.A. Clippers - 16
  5. Chicago - 14.75
  6. Washington - 12.75
  7. Golden State - 12.5
  8. Portland - 10.25
  9. Toronto - 10.125
  10. Charlotte - 10
  11. Houston - 10
  12. Memphis - 9.875
  13. Indiana - 9.625
  14. Detroit - 9.375
  15. Phoenix - 8.5
  16. Sacramento - 8.375
  17. Dallas - 8.25
  18. Miami - 8.25
  19. Atlanta - 8.25
  20. New Orleans - 8
  21. Brooklyn - 7.625
  22. Boston - 7
  23. L.A. Lakers - 6.875
  24. New York - 6.875
  25. Denver - 6.25
  26. Orlando - 5
  27. Minnesota - 4.875
  28. Philadelphia - 4.5
  29. Milwaukee - 3.5
  30. Utah - 3.25
What do you think? Are the four best teams in the game fairly well represented? Do you think San Antonio is the best team in the game still? Sound off!

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 10/03/14 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
I totally agree, I mean it's not like they lost Lebron this Summer... Oh, wait.
I still think it's a stretch to say they're 17th though...

# 22 Halloween @ 10/03/14 01:38 PM
My Nuggets that low?

Lawson
Afflalo
Gallinari
Faried
McGee

Give us credit man!

# 23 x LuvMESumME x @ 10/03/14 01:41 PM
10 for my Charlotte Hornets 8 spots above the Heat I'll take that seems pretty accurate to me.

# 24 RandomPerson @ 10/03/14 01:45 PM
Washington and Chicago over Golden State? lol

# 25 Equinox831 @ 10/03/14 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPerson
Washington and Chicago over Golden State? lol
Washington and Chicago are arguably more complete teams than Golden State. All 3 are truly solid squads though.

# 26 RandomPerson @ 10/03/14 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
Washington and Chicago are arguably more complete teams than Golden State. All 3 are truly solid squads though.
No they're not. Golden State is much more talented.

Curry
Thompson
Iggy
Lee
Bogut

One of the best starting fives in the league, and they have a top 3 defense. They're a tier above the Bulls and Wizards. Put them in the East and they would make the Finals imo.

# 27 luda06 @ 10/03/14 02:21 PM
I prefer the spreadsheet in this thread. Why? Because you can see the average team ratings, as well as how deep teams are based on the average player rating.

From there, it's quite simple to rank the teams based on easiness to play with.

Tier 1 (Teams with average rating above 75 w 7+ man rotation)
  • San Antonio Spurs
  • Chicago Bulls
  • Indiana Pacers
  • Phoenix Suns
  • Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Dallas Mavericks
  • Denver Nuggets
  • Golden State Warriors
  • Los Angeles Clippers
  • Los Angeles Lakers
  • Memphis Grizzlies
  • Toronto Raptors
  • Miami Heat

Tier 2 (Teams with average rating above 75 w or w/o 6+ man rotation, and lower rated teams w 6+ man rotation)
  • Washington Wizards
  • Brooklyn Nets
  • Charlotte Hornets
  • Oklahoma City Thunder
  • Sacramento Kings
  • Boston Celtics
  • Minnesota Timberwolves
  • New York Knicks
  • Portland Trail Blazers
  • Detroit Pistons
  • Milwaukee Bucks
  • New Orleans Pelicans

Tier 3 (Teams w no bench, and an average rating below 75)
  • Houston Rockets
  • Utah Jazz
  • Orlando Magic
  • Philadelphia 76ers

Here's how I have the teams ranked based on a makeshift formula:

1. San Antonio Spurs
  2. Chicago Bulls
  3. Indiana Pacers
  4. Phoenix Suns
  5. Los Angeles Clippers
  6. Cleveland Cavaliers
  7. Golden State Warriors
  8. Los Angeles Lakers
  9. Memphis Grizzlies
  10. Denver Nuggets
  11. Toronto Raptors
  12. Dallas Mavericks
  13. Washington Wizards
  14. Miami Heat
  15. Boston Celtics
  16. Portland Trail Blazers
  17. New York Knicks
  18. Minnesota Timberwolves
  19. Charlotte Hornets
  20. Brooklyn Nets
  21. Oklahoma City Thunder
  22. New Orleans Pelicans
  23. Detroit Pistons
  24. Milwaukee Bucks
  25. Sacramento Kings
  26. Atlanta Hawks
  27. Houston Rockets
  28. Utah Jazz
  29. Orlando Magic
  30. Philadelphia 76ers

You're really going to have to break out the cheese plays for the lesser teams on the pole. The margin for error is much lower for the higher teams, due to the overall depth these teams feature.

# 28 Equinox831 @ 10/03/14 02:34 PM
Quote:

Curry
Thompson
Iggy
Lee
Bogut

One of the best starting fives in the league, and they have a top 3 defense. They're a tier above the Bulls and Wizards. Put them in the East and they would make the Finals imo.
Hahaha alright, whatever you say bud. I'll give you the Wizards, but not the Bulls. Yeah I'm from Chicago and they're my team, but this is completely objective and unbiased. In a 7 game series, the Bulls beat the Warriors due to bench depth and a superior frontcourt. I could go on all day about the two teams, but right now the Bulls are a better squad on paper then the Warriors and they wouldn't be able to get past the Cavs either so there's no way they make the Finals. Sorry.

# 29 slowdifference @ 10/03/14 02:37 PM
All I know is, there aren't 20 teams in the NBA better than Brooklyn

# 30 Equinox831 @ 10/03/14 02:40 PM
People these are all hypothetical rankings, don't get so up in arms over your team not being in a spot you'd like. It doesn't matter at all..

# 31 RandomPerson @ 10/03/14 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
Hahaha alright, whatever you say bud. I'll give you the Wizards, but not the Bulls. Yeah I'm from Chicago and they're my team, but this is completely objective and unbiased. In a 7 game series, the Bulls beat the Warriors due to bench depth and a superior frontcourt. I could go on all day about the two teams, but right now the Bulls are a better squad on paper then the Warriors and they wouldn't be able to get past the Cavs either so there's no way they make the Finals. Sorry.
Derrick Rose is a huge question mark. Nobody knows what he's gonna play like this year, so I don't why you're acting like it's ridiculous to take the Warriors over the Bulls. They're a more proven team. They won more games in a much tougher conference. Warriors have an elite defense and a very good offense while the Bulls have an elite defense and an average offense at best.

And yeah, I would take Golden State over Cleveland. The Cavs defense will be suspect this year. Warriors are just a more complete team.

# 32 Equinox831 @ 10/03/14 02:54 PM
Quote:
Derrick Rose is a huge question mark. Nobody knows what he's gonna play like this year, so I don't why you're acting like it's ridiculous to take the Warriors over the Bulls. They're a more proven team. They won more games in a much tougher conference. Warriors have an elite defense and a very good offense while the Bulls have an elite defense and an average offense at best.

And yeah, I would take Golden State over Cleveland. The Cavs defense will be suspect this year. Warriors are just a more complete team.
You didn't actually respond to anything I said.. It's pretty apparent you don't know a lot about the Bulls and all the improvements the team has made to an already solid squad. Saying the Warriors are more proven than the Bulls is laughable as well.

# 33 Trackball @ 10/03/14 03:31 PM
I'm seriously surprised the Rockets are that HIGH.

I mean, we lost Parsons and Lin for almost nothing, and traded away Asik for peanuts and a pick.

I love my team and all, but come on, let's be realistic here. Getting 50 wins will be a VERY big surprise.

# 34 JayAtkHar @ 10/03/14 05:52 PM
Toronto top 10 baby shout out to Charlotte and Washington we're gonna have some dog fights this year

# 35 domwillb @ 10/03/14 06:05 PM
It's been about 5 years since I've used my Miami Heat >=] and now we're 18th. Finally get them all to myself again

# 36 phenom2311 @ 10/03/14 09:00 PM
This list is terrible lol

# 37 BMDinTDOT @ 10/03/14 10:19 PM
I would use the Spurs more online but 2K has never done Duncan and Parker justice.
Even 4-6 years ago they pegged Duncan as old and he would get exhausted in the
middle of the first quarter so you would have to always sub him. Also he wasn't very
dominant and would miss easy gimmie shots under the rim. Same thing goes for
Parker in that they didn't make him dominant and because he doesn't shoot 3's well
and it used to be hard to finish in the paint with PG's it took away his true value.

# 38 Burge88 @ 10/03/14 10:41 PM
Dallas 17th?
No way!
At least top 12!

# 39 Aderito @ 10/04/14 01:36 AM
To me Dallas Mavericks, Miami Heat, Atlanta Hawks, New Orleans Pelicans are better than many teams that are higher....

Dallas Mavericks > Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Memphis Grizzlies, Houston Rockets, Charlotte Hornets, Toronto Raptors, Portland Trail Blazers and Washington Wizards

Miami Heat > Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers, and Detroit Pistons

New Orleans Pelicans > Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons

# 40 tarheel4lyfe851 @ 10/04/14 12:24 PM
Quote:

Curry

Thompson

Iggy

Lee

Bogut

top 3 defense lmao on what planet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.