Home
News Post

Owen Good at Polygon penned a great article this weekend talking about the future of the NBA Live series. Sean O'Brien, the executive producer of NBA Live 15, has several very interesting quotes within the article which speak directly to the future of the franchise.

The most interesting quote comes in the first parts of the article where O'Brien answers Owen's question on whether there will be an NBA Live 16 or not, "Guaranteed. We've already started development on 16. We're staffing up. We're actually increasing investment on what 16 — and 17 — look like."

This is especially good news since EA is in its final year of its agreement with the NBA. If indeed Live sticks around, time will likely lead it into a pretty good direction in the future. Much of the article was spent downplaying NBA Live 15's potential though.

Some quotes from O'Brien:

"Part of me wishes people could hear the conversations I'm in. I wish I could snap my fingers and it would be two years from now."

"We're a work in progress."

"It's a long term strategy. Building a high-definition game is not easy. I think the game we're creating is dfferent, and I think as we mature as a product, you'll see that difference come out more and more."

What do you think of O'Briens quotes and the linked Polygon article?

Member Comments
# 81 King_B_Mack @ 10/21/14 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Better than what exactly?

I don't know how you can read what you posted and think anybody could come away thinking you feel positive about Live 15. "EA Sports is the epitome of snake oil salesmen" isn't a ringing endorsement.

But I have to say this line is what really make me think you are expecting Live 15 to come up short. "They won't show any sort of unedited gameplay of the game to this point and they're okaying articles that can be read as 'yeah, we're selling you a less than stellar game this year with the intention of giving you that stellar product two years from now.'"

Maybe I did misinterpret your meaning reading things often doesn't express tone, but it certainly seems like you aren't expecting much from Live 15.

Yeah, you're definitely missing where I'm coming from. Because you're talking about things that isn't relevant to the topic of this thread. I'm speaking in the context of this article. I don't trust EA and being "snakeoil salesmen" with regards to telling you the game is coming out next year right now. I like Sean and I believe he's putting his all into trying to right this ship, but he's not writing any checks at EA. So him telling me Live 16 is coming because it's already in development means jack because it's not his decision. I'll bet Mike Wang could tell us Live 11 was coming a week before Live 10 dropped as well. How'd that work out for everybody?

As for the other line. How is that me believing Live 15 is going to come up short? That's what he said in the article. Or at least what a lot of readers could take away from it. That's all I was stating. That's not me stating my expectations for 15, that's me pointing out how his comments come off in this write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I just think in fairness it best to look at each game as it's own independent entity. Going in with a mindset of since EA has marketed bad games the same way it is marketing this game therefore this game will likely be bad is going in with a preconceived notion. That's the impression I took from your post. Again not the opinion police and certainly not trying to tell you how to feel especially not over a videogame if that was indeed you point in your post. Just think people should pump the brakes until we have unedited footage to really judge Live 15 in order to do so with a clean slate. I understand your argument they haven't earned a clean slate. However from what I see when people go into something with a negative mindset it has a negative impact on what I they take away. Either way not a big deal.

People taking notice of the same patterns happening repeatedly isn't being unfair. There's not a whole lot of people if any saying they aren't going to try the game for themselves outside of the usual trolls that infest every forum fanboying for their favorite franchise. EA is literally giving people nothing on this game, so if people are talking and expressing their concerns with that approach, so be it.

# 82 dubplate @ 10/21/14 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
What stood out to me about what he said is how he felt about the graphics, he was not impressed, saying only a little better than 14.
Yet every other preview I've read says the graphics are definitely better than last year. I don't trust this dude at all.

# 83 thedream2k13 @ 10/21/14 04:28 PM
Producers comments are like telling me to skip live 15 and buy 16. He needs to choose his words more carefully

# 84 DBMcGee3 @ 10/21/14 04:49 PM
At least they're putting out a demo. If it sucks, it sucks, but as a consumer, I respect EA for giving people a chance to play the game for free. Given the improvements they've obviously made from last year, there's at least some reason for optimism in regards to the game's future.

# 85 WaddupCouzin @ 10/21/14 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
14 didn't look bad. Just herky jerky
No, 14 looked bad and it was herky jerky to boot. 14 looked like a PS3/360 game.

# 86 WaddupCouzin @ 10/21/14 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
At least they're putting out a demo. If it sucks, it sucks, but as a consumer, I respect EA for giving people a chance to play the game for free. Given the improvements they've obviously made from last year, there's at least some reason for optimism in regards to the game's future.
They put out a demo last year at launch. That was free and it stunk. Let's let them earn some credit for putting out a quality game.

# 87 sportyguyfl31 @ 10/21/14 05:53 PM
Eh....I dont take feeling the need to reassure people that there will be a game next year, as a good sign.

# 88 a walrus @ 10/21/14 07:06 PM
It's surprising that some people will still support a company that for multiple years now has said.."hey guy's this year isn't the year but next year we are really going to be proud of this game and then the year after that it should be amazing. At what point should a consumer lose all confidence. This article would have been an ideal time to say " hey we understand your frustration with the release of a subpar product for the 2nd year in a row, The game will be 29.99 and sold exclusively at cvs. What the team has done is hide the product and just before release they say we couldn’t get all we wanted into the game but this is the start of something really special. It's unfortunate that they continue to put themselves in this position.

# 89 Rhinoboy50 @ 10/27/14 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
Yes....strange way to promote a game being released in a few days.

Basically saying "game is not so good...missing tonnes of stuff...but, wait until 2017 and see what we do then!". Ummmm...you are charging full price for a WIP?

Sounds EXACTLY like the same song and dance from NHL 15.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.