Home
News Post

Well, it appears that Joe Montana Football is a game -- of some sorts.

Joe Montana tweeted the above screenshot
out to the internet, which appears to be an in-game screenshot of a football game long rumored to be in the works. It also appears to dispel the 'NFL game in the works' rumors that were floating around the last week. The screenshot shows Joe Montana (or someone with his name and number as his skin color looks much darker than Montana's) rolling out with players blocking and stumbling around.

The teams are both generic, and the stadium itself looks generic as well, although that much isn't fully clear. The screenshot features the Unreal Engine logo, and appears to be quite detailed -- but there's no signs of whether this game is for consoles, mobile platforms, or PC. Although just one screenshot, it definitely isn't a huge leap over what is already on the market sports games wise just at first glance, so it's really impossible to tell if this is even a console title, although it'd be a very impressive looking mobile/tablet title if that is the case.

The player models themselves look like a cross between Backbreaker and the old 2K titles, with the tall and slender bodies vs. more realistic proportions. But hey, it's way too early to be breaking these things down.

As mentioned by jyoung...

Quote:
No sports games have come out yet on UE 4. Action Arcade Wrestling 3 is using it, but that game's still in development.

UE 3 was used in several sports games:
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (terrible)
  • WWE All Stars (pretty good)
  • Black College Football: The Xperience (subpar)
  • Kinect Big League Sports (never played it)
  • Real Boxing (never played it)
  • Lucha Libre: Heroes del Ring (never played it)
  • Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars (never played it)
What do you see in the screenshot? Any clues as to what Joe Montana football is going to be at this point?

Member Comments
# 121 extremeskins04 @ 03/17/15 09:29 AM
I don't want to be "that guy" but no NFL license, no buy for me. It just won't be the same without my favorite franchise and players. I actually thought about buying an Xbox One just for this game until I found out there wasn't an NFL license. That changed my mind real fast.

# 122 tanner75 @ 03/17/15 09:30 AM
The Green blurry signs say X box? Maybe a reference to Damon saying some things will be clear and some will be unclear?!

# 123 djordan @ 03/17/15 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollack34
If you have been following anything that is happening in gaming you will realize you don`t need astronomical sales to be a success. Being niche is a thing now. Particularly if you look at the PC space. Take City Skylines. It has 500K in sales in 4 days. For Madden that`s a failure. For that small dev team that created it -- with no marketing budget, small team, total grassroots effort -- it is a massive success. Further, with Steam, digital distribution costs are minimal -- no disks to produce no shipping costs etc.

Further, Unreal Engine has gone to a free model. It is absolutely free up front now, and you pay a 5% royalty of profits. So you only pay if you are successful. An Engine that once cost half a million or more is now free. If your product isnt licensed, that`s more savings -- NFL has ridiculous costs anyway, they should be paying the games for advertising imo but whatever. So you save there as well.

The point is we have entered a new era in gaming. One where the barrier to entry (high cost) has been blown wide open.

To be successful sometimes require thinking outside the AAA mental box. You don`t need to sell millions and millions of copies. Those days have ended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuny101
Great points made there even if its only Xbox and PC if the did 1.5 million they could deem that a success. This game is coming out of left field and could make a huge splash without doing astronomical numbers
Great post guys. Like the both of you mentioned, if the rumor is true that this game will release on XBONE and PC, then I don't see how this will hamper sales. Think about it, MLB the show is only release on Sony platforms (PS3/PS4), and people still purchase PlayStation consoles primarily to play MLB the show. Also, if the game releases on PC, think about the Mods people will create being that the Unreal Engine is powering the game. So many possibilities. I'm strictly a Sony Playstation guy, but if everything lines up correctly, I wouldn't be opposed to buying an XBONE for this game.

# 124 jpollack34 @ 03/17/15 09:33 AM
There`s no better way to keep your game fresh, alive, and relevant at all times than to support and foster the wonderful modding community.

# 125 marc68 @ 03/17/15 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I don't want to be "that guy" but no NFL license, no buy for me. It just won't be the same without my favorite franchise and players. I actually thought about buying an Xbox One just for this game until I found out there wasn't an NFL license. That changed my mind real fast.
I completely understand.
Same feelings with me.
If it's on ps4,I'll buy it.
If not,and no license,I can't justify $300+ for the game.
If it was nfl and Xbox only,,,I'd actually consider it.

# 126 bmuny101 @ 03/17/15 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
If it turns out to be an NFL game would you reconsider picking up an Xbox or PC to play it?

# 127 SolidSquid @ 03/17/15 09:48 AM
Even though I don't believe they hold an NFL license here's what has me excited. IF they do have the license and the game is exclusive to Xbox one and or PC that mean there would be nothing stopping Sony from making their own exclusive NFL game. Could you imagine in a few short years having 3 football games to choose from?

# 128 roadman @ 03/17/15 09:59 AM
I have an xbone and if it comes out on that, it's a definite buy for me.

Competition makes the world go round.

I wonder if this means Maddens marketing starts to pick up a bit or sit and wait?

# 129 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

I wonder if this means Maddens marketing starts to pick up a bit or sit and wait?
I think madden will continue to wait, they gonna do their stupid cover vote around draft time.that aint till may . Then E3 just around that corner.... so might hear tiny things before E3 but not real info till then , and string it along the following months after that, just like last year.

# 130 SoJa @ 03/17/15 10:13 AM
I don't get the license problem. Even if there is no NFL license for JM16 wouldn't the modding community just create everything anyways (at least for PC gamers)? Rosters, logos shouldn't be too difficult to create/change, arena could but given enough time they will come out as well. I'm only a NBA 2K gamer but almost everything could be customized in that game, it should be the same for JM16 as well, no?

# 131 aholbert32 @ 03/17/15 10:22 AM
Quote:

This pic doesnt move EA at all. Now if Joe/Grow released a fact sheet or even confirmed a release date, that would be different.

# 132 bkrich83 @ 03/17/15 10:31 AM
Quote:

Right there with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 133 ElectricAggie @ 03/17/15 10:32 AM
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but any chance this is a new Blitz game?

Here is some evidence:
1. It has been mentioned several times that Airship has been working on a "big name American football game". Blitz is a pretty big name.
2. I haven't heard anything confirmed about the game being "sim".
3. Joe tweeted "It just got Unreal". I understand he is referencing the Unreal engine, but he could be referencing the fact that the game is not sim.
4. Look at the QB in the photo. His arms are jacked, just like the players in Blitz used to be.

This is all speculation, but I thought it was an interesting thought I should share.

# 134 CMadatMe @ 03/17/15 10:36 AM
I won't get caught up into the hype. I will get the game just to play it. The only way it's a win is if core game play and online servers provide a better experience then Madden. Playing with NFL players isn't important to me. I want a football game.

# 135 MajorSupreme @ 03/17/15 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAggie
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but any chance this is a new Blitz game?

Here is some evidence:
1. It has been mentioned several times that Airship has been working on a "big name American football game". Blitz is a pretty big name.
3. Joe tweeted "It just got Unreal". I understand he is referencing the Unreal engine, but he could be referencing the fact that the game is not sim.
4. Look at the QB in the photo. His arms are jacked, just like the players in Blitz used to be.

This is all speculation, but I thought it was an interesting thought I should share.
I would think not. Damon Grow has mentioned multiple times how important the sim community is.

And if Blitz is such a big name, wouldn't it be called BLITZ or at least have BLITZ in the title? And as to the QB, it's their style, and I honestly see more APF and BB than Blitz.

# 136 ElectricAggie @ 03/17/15 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
I would think not. Damon Grow has mentioned multiple times how important the sim community is.

And if Blitz is such a big name, wouldn't it be called BLITZ or at least have BLITZ in the title? And as to the QB, it's their style, and I honestly see more APF and BB than Blitz.
That's true. The "big name" is Montana I would guess. But it's hard to not think the game as being arcade style when the players have huge arms like they do in the pic.

# 137 bcruise @ 03/17/15 10:46 AM
I'll be honest - that does look like an Xbox banner in the out-of-focus stadium. And if it is, that probably means this game is Xbox exclusive, which means I have no dog in this fight. The PC rumors came out of that one-post wonder, and I seriously doubt the credibility of that post.

But that pic is so low-res that I don't know what to make of it. To me, the only thing that this confirms is that there is actually a football game of some sort being made.

# 138 sportyguyfl31 @ 03/17/15 10:46 AM
Quote:

Here is some evidence:

If that happens, there will be full blown riots on social media

# 139 MajorSupreme @ 03/17/15 10:50 AM
Quote:
That's true. The "big name" is Montana I would guess. But it's hard to not think the game as being arcade style when the players have huge arms like they do in the pic.
I like it. It takes another step away Madden and what we consider football gaming. I don't want to look at the same game, so I'm appreciating the difference.

# 140 jpollack34 @ 03/17/15 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJa
I don't get the license problem. Even if there is no NFL license for JM16 wouldn't the modding community just create everything anyways (at least for PC gamers)? Rosters, logos shouldn't be too difficult to create/change, arena could but given enough time they will come out as well. I'm only a NBA 2K gamer but almost everything could be customized in that game, it should be the same for JM16 as well, no?
Agreed. Not only is that the last thing to worry about, but imo the community is a thousand times better than any development team for stuff like rosters. No developer (I don`t care how much they spend) can ever match the power of the users.

"
To be concrete about it, 10 times as much user content comes from the users as comes from us. So we think we are super productive and badass, but we cannot compete with our own customers as regards the production of content. The only company we ever met that kicked our *** is our customers. We would never try to compete with them." -Gabe Newell

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.