Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

Now that MLB 15 The Show is available for everyone, we would like to hear some early impressions from the OS community. Early impressions from the lucky OSers that found a copy early, can be seen here.

Please, only post impressions.

If you have questions, please use this thread.

If you want to see the beauty the game has, check out our member submitted Photography/Videography thread.

If you have bugs to report, please use this thread.

With that said, let's hear those impressions!

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 PleasedToMeetMe @ 04/01/15 01:47 AM
Sorry I dont understand the existing framerate issues and occasional stuttering. This is a no-go for me....

# 122 xfhsfgh @ 04/01/15 02:51 AM
Played my first game and I love the directional hitting and the fielding this year. Absolutely amazing and challenging.

# 123 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 04/01/15 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Guys who played 14 did you get your gold rewards when you installed 15?
I haven't got mines. Were u supposed to keep the 14 data saved on the ps4?

# 124 Smallville102001 @ 04/01/15 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue7
Ok.. What am I missing here?

I had show 13 on the PS3 and loved it. I didn't play 14. I bought 15 for the PS4. Install went fast so that was great however...

While lighting looks good, the graphics look about like 13 on the PS3 did. I was expecting a lot better given the screen shots that have been posted.

The game does not play at full screen size on my 60 inch tv. Any way of fixing it?

I played about an inning and a half and the gamplay will no doubt be solid. Really disappointed in the way it looks. NBA 2K15 and Madden both looked far better....

what? the graphics last year looked about the same has last gen but this year looks much much better.

# 125 mlblover15 @ 04/01/15 07:13 AM
didn't quite get much time with game in, but did see the lighting in Malrins park for my first game i started but didnt finish.

sun was splashing off the left field roof area and looked freaking awesome. Grass color and texture are vastly improved... even from a distance after a play is over i saw it in the background and it now actually looks like grass and not a indoor outdoor carpet lol...

heard some new lines of commentary loved it... mentioned my team and where they were in the standings. got my first challenge and trophy in the first play of the game.

you can now see the ball coming off the bat, and see where it is headed. dont remember seeing this really much in 14 before camera cut to fielding.

like i said i still have a lot to do.. spent most of my time with it (4 hrs) in batting practice. Which im glad i did, i need a lot of it... with the new breaks on pitches etc...

so far the only complaint i would have if it were one... is we need more instant replays now at second, and home plate... nice to see at first but this really needs to be expanded

oh one more thing love the new throw through on steals... feels much more like a real game on tv... love it... thank you very much SDS!!!!

still would love to see in years to come instant replay expanded on steal attempts and plays at home plate... but over all in just the few minutes spent with this game outside of batting practice was freaking awesome...

# 126 Tommyklaid @ 04/01/15 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiants4Natic
WOW you are right. I just noticed the grass field changes from high res to low res when you select the pitch type to throw

WTF? So when pitching from behind the pitcher as I believe most do the resolution goes from PS4 to PS2 graphics and the hair as well.

I am using CC Sabathia at the Angels and when I select the pitch the green grass turns blurry from the high res it was before I select the pitch

This happens for the hair and beards as well.

I read this a few posts ago...

"Say it ain't so...say it ain't so!"

Irregardless (not a word - but in a Ben Affleck voice), I don't freaking care...I still will be picking this up today.
#patchit

# 127 69Yanks @ 04/01/15 08:40 AM
Yes, the grass changes to flat. You can keep checking it by stepping off the mound and reselecting the pitch. The wider LAD broadcast view does not show it but if you go to outfield, pitcher view (especially) and other behind pitcher views, it downgrades. Maybe to reduce stuttering? We need a higher end graphics card like found in the PC (PS5). I am sure the develop team struggles with frame rate issues.

# 128 RobbieMacc @ 04/01/15 08:52 AM
Initial impressions of The Show are all positive. Having played this game for years I really notice the small enhancements the most. First the fielding. I have had a few balls fly over the heads of my outfielders but really can only blame myself for that...I'm digging the lack of "fielder suction" or whatever it may be referred to as. Additionally I've noticed several new animations, some during play and some after. For example, Andrelton Simmons while walking the ball back to the infield would fake a throw to first, nice touch. The fielding feels better this year and so far can't really complain about anything, just need to adjust. Slide step is SWEET, I probably won't use it too much but did manage to throw someone out using it.

Second the lighting. I really can't say much about this except WOW. I read a lot of posts about how the streams didn't do it justice and my my were those correct. The game is gorgeous and with the new color enhancements I really feel like I'm playing on a PS4. Also the new pitcher/batter interface is clean, took some getting used to but I like the changes. I still don't know how I feel about the new ball trail when pitching. I'm using it now and think I'm getting used to it but at least the option is there to turn it off or revert back to the classic way.

I am a franchise guy so I really haven't, probably won't, dig too much into RTTS or DD, but with that said the new card system does have me intrigued. I am more inclined to dabble in DD now than ever before.

As for franchise, I've only played one game but did get to listen to the radio show and I think it's a nice addition. Doesn't provide anything earth shattering but I like having more of a "connection" with what's going on around the league.

Game is great.

# 129 Flaxseed Oil @ 04/01/15 09:08 AM
Does anyone know of a way to turn off the HR Celebration Camera? I can't stand it but can't figure out how to turn it off.

Also quick impressions:

- Pitcher Windups looks MUCH improved. Still not as good as the old 2k games, but much better than any previous show games.

- Commentary is also much better - it seems toned down and simpler.

- Ball physics are awesome most of the time, but saw some funky stuff when I played online. Also throws from Outfield back into the Infield after an out is made seem to go 900 mph.

- Game is terrific for Vita, as well - wish they hadnt removed the walkups but it may have been a sacrifice to get all of the player heads in - memory constraints.

- As others have said - lighting / stadiums look terrific in PS4

# 130 sportyguyfl31 @ 04/01/15 09:19 AM
Been playing on All Star-Analog Controls

Analog throwing controls in the field are much more user friendly. LAst year, I could not use them. I also like the change in analog hitting. I was afraid it would make it too easy, but havent found that to be the case.

CPU made 3 errors! Nice to see that not every CPU infielder is damn Ozzie Smith.

# 131 CurlyDub34 @ 04/01/15 09:36 AM
I really really like how the players perform pop up slides now and when they dive head first they still get up rather quickly. It has always bothered me how it would take 5 seconds to get up and it would prevent you from not taking the extra base(super unrealistic). I also like the changes made to DD. I've never gotten into the mode before, but after just 2 games this year, I'm hooked.

# 132 Bullit @ 04/01/15 09:50 AM
So it appears you have to be online to earn card rewards for playing a game. Not real happy about that decision.

By online I mean connected to The Show servers as well which apparently are down right now.

# 133 Splitter77 @ 04/01/15 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15

you can now see the ball coming off the bat, and see where it is headed. dont remember seeing this really much in 14 before camera cut to fielding.

my fav new feature.
but its only for hitting.
i hope they add it in for pitching as well and also for hr derby.

i hit from pitcher center camera and i love how you can see where you hit the ball now before it switches to the fielding camera.

# 134 Dolenz @ 04/01/15 10:07 AM
Here are some random impressions after several days playing.

- The lighting and shadows are beautiful

- I have played 6 full games using various modes and a couple of difficulty settings. I played the Cubs 2 games with the default experienced profile, which I believe uses Dynamic difficulty. I won both games and the most hits I got was 10. I then set the difficulty to veteran and switched to the playoff mode as the Cardinals. I was swept. Kershaw and Grienke shut me down. I think I need more batting practice.

- The last game I played last night was in Diamond Dynasty. I created a team and played an extra inning game. I won the game but did not get any reward popup on screen for doing so. It said it had sent my game to the server so maybe it needed to somehow verify but I thought playing Diamond Dynasty was the best way to earn cards.

- The default base running is a little easier to understand this year but I always end up fumbling with the controller more than not. I had two guys take off on a double steal last night and I am not sure how I even sent them. I then struggled and could not get them back to base and one was doubled up to end the inning. I may try to work on it some more as if I can't run the bases effectively it will limit my DD and Online play, where I don't believe you can use auto running.

- I have been trying to field also, which is another task I usually have set at auto. It was not as bad a transition as base running but I still sometime have issues. I hate giving up runs based on my lack of controller skill. This, like base running is required in DD as far as I can tell. So it is either learn it or give up on that game mode.

- I have not seen the stamps yet. I first started the game Monday at 11:00, played again yesterday at lunch and then again last night. I did not see a stamp for 2 days played. The real test will be when I start it today.

- I have played 6 games and am already level 9. I am still not sure what these levels gain you but level 30 seems like it could be hit fairly quickly.

- Finding the freebies for the Anniversary Edition was anything but intuitive (as can be seen from all the threads about it).

I really am enjoying it though!

# 135 rkf0901 @ 04/01/15 10:27 AM
So I immediately jumped in and picked up my Franchise where I left off, really cool. Only got to play one game but besides the colors/lighting/shadows I immediately noticed how the ball behaved.

Examples of the Ball Physics being more realistic:
  • 1st was a bullet back up the middle w/ Teixeira and off the pitchers foot, the ball deflected way up in the air and off to the 3B side. It seemed quite realistic. Still didn't knock him out of the game though.
  • 2nd was really really weak roller up the middle and as the 2nd baseman ranged to his right and behind the bag anticipating the ball, the ball was so weak that when it hit 2nd base it actually bounced back off the base and rolled back towards the pitcher..lol infield single.
cant wait to get home and fire it back up.

# 136 Prm318 @ 04/01/15 10:36 AM
I love this game. Only thing that bugs me is the defensive position icon that pops up almost every batter? Is there a way to disable it? It drives me crazy. Besides that great game and the new guess pitch is weird it flashes R2 on the right. I'd like to disable that. If anyone knows how to disable both of these please let me know. Thank you so much

# 137 DJ @ 04/01/15 10:50 AM
WOW.

That's the first word that comes to mind when talking about MLB 15 The Show.

The stadiums? Wow!

The transitional lighting? Wow!

The revamped colors? Wow!

The directional hitting? Wow!

Continuing your franchise/season/RTTS from MLB 14? Wow!

I could go on, but you get the point.

All the things we've come to love about MLB The Show are there for all of us to enjoy, with some new features and other long-standing features receiving some nice adjustments/improvements.

I purchased the 10-year anniversary edition and LOVE the game case. Beautiful design.

Played a couple of games last night. First one was my annual first game matchup of Yankees (CPU) at Mets. Tanaka vs. Harvey. That was quite the matchup. Tanaka's splitter and changeup are so hard to deal with, especially after he sets you up with his mid-90's fastball.

Speaking of pitching, I love the movement on pitches. Even 4-seamers tail, drop, rise, etc., which you didn't see in the past. I see what Ramone and co. were talking about with pitch recognition. It is a little easier to decipher what pitch is coming your way. Unfortunately, it doesn't make it any easier to hit said pitch

Imported my Orioles season from MLB 14 with no issues and jumped into a game there. What was interesting is that my settings there had the defensive camera set to Broadcast. There's a little hesitation between hitting the ball and the cut to the defensive camera when using this option. It really stuck out to me as I had played the first game in Dynamic and everything there was seamless in terms of the ball going from bat to being put in play. Looks like I may keep Dynamic as my camera option this year.

Saw a legit misplay at SS by Wilmer Flores on a routine grounder. Flores was anticipating the ball to hop up to his glove so he raised up just a little from his defensive stance. The ball didn't take the hop, though, and rolled right under him, allowing a run to score.

The only real negative is that I have to work the rest of the week, so my playing time will be limited until the weekend. Thankfully I have most of next week off.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game. I know I am.

# 138 lopey986 @ 04/01/15 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElit3
Anyone else think the soundtrack is great? It just fits...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My soundtrack is littered with Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino (I can't pry myself away from the new Spotify setup quite yet!)

# 139 Openroad_7 @ 04/01/15 11:20 AM
Just started playing so I do not have many impressions right now. But one thing that stood out at me that was disappointed me: I was pitching Matt Harvey and they cut to a fan holding a sign referring to Jacob DeGrom's hair being long, can't recall the specific banner, but it was clearly referring to him. I would expect signs aligning with the current pitcher.

# 140 Bgd89 @ 04/01/15 11:29 AM
Can someone help me please, does this game support offline co op mode? I want to play with my friend franchise mode offline against AI?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.