Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

About 45 minutes ago, Peter Moore was talking shop with Geoff Keighley on the YouTube E3 stream and confirmed that EA and the NFL were still exclusive partners.

"So EA has the exclusivity on an NFL game?" Keighley asked.

"We do," Moore replied.

Keighley then pressed, "On all platforms?"

"On the NFL game, in our NFL agreement, in our NFLPA game agreement -- equally as important with the players -- uh yes...we do," Moore replied.

Moore was asked about a potential Joe Montana game and said it'd have to be unlicensed, saying he doesn't know what's going on there as he reads what everyone else reads on Twitter and in the news.

Moore finished the exchange after a bit more idle speculation with saying, "What you did see today was a spectacular Madden. I thought the team did a great job."

Most likely EA has the license locked up for a few years still, and there is zero reason to expect them to not renew when the time comes, just as they've likely done a few times prior as the current arrangement seems to be working for both parties it appears.

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Cusefan @ 06/16/15 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Doubtful. Ian was never some "sim" crusader. If anything during his time with Madden he realized that the sim community is hard to please. The OS community ran him off the forums a number of times.

Excellent posts, absolutely on the money regarding Madden. I have to laugh though, this story get repeated every year or two and the reaction is literally the same here on OS, it feels like a glitch in the matrix.

While 2K had a great business plan with NFL 2K5, who would have guessed how much it bothered the NFL. The NFL apparently didn't like the idea of one of their games being in the bargain bin so they put a end to it. I would even wager that the NFL didn't like so many games with their brand on it being complete trash. Everyone talks about Madden, 2k, and even NFL fever; but we have forgotten the clunkers: NFL Quarterback club and Gameday. With a organisation that cares so much about its image, it's little surprise that they would entrust its likeness with the company with the best sales.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC using Tapatalk

# 62 SageInfinite @ 06/16/15 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Everyone talks about Madden, 2k, and even NFL fever; but we have forgotten the clunkers: NFL Quarterback club and Gameday. With a organisation that cares so much about its image, it's little surprise that they would entrust its likeness with the company with the best sales.

Hey if it wasn't for gameday we'd still be playing a 2d madden!

# 63 roadman @ 06/16/15 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Any chance he left bc he was being handcuffed from the guys upstairs?
Nah, he left and worked for another small mobile company that was being run by a former developer at Madden, I think it was called Robamshoo or something similar to that.

# 64 Cusefan @ 06/16/15 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Hey if it wasn't for gameday we'd still be playing a 2d madden!

NFL Gameday 98 was the first game I got for my PS1, it was a awesome Christmas for a 13 year old. I eventually went back to Madden as these were the days when you actually rented a game before buying it.

# 65 SageInfinite @ 06/16/15 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
NFL Gameday 98 was the first game I got for my PS1, it was a awesome Christmas for a 13 year old. I eventually went back to Madden as these were the days when you actually rented a game before buying it.

Yeah gameday 98 was awesome. I jumped between the two back then. Both provided a different experience. Good times.......

# 66 mastershake88 @ 06/16/15 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Reel
You SHOULD care.

Not so much that a game has it....but because thats the only way another football game will ever have yearly releases and compete with Madden.

Otherwise, all you'll see is the occasional APF2K8 or Backbreaker type game that does a one off and doesnt bother to keep going because they know that no matter what they do, they wont compete with Madden.
"You Should Care"- over what a video game? The powers that be made it possible to have one game that is issued with the NFL license and not multiple. Sorry, those are the facts. I was around on 2k forums at this exact time 8 years ago when 2k was making a big deal about APF 2k8. Then come to find out, they were scared of EA, Madden and the NFL for not allowing these three things that did the game in. 1. FULL CUSTOMIZATION 2. Franchise mode and 3. longevity. They had zero marketing. I remember when we went from January to June and there was zero, ZERO news. It's kinda like the exact thing this game is doing right about now. Not to include a spotty show in E3. 2k had their chance and they blew it. that is why things are the way they are.

# 67 Sheba2011 @ 06/16/15 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_kmoney
The NFL or better yet Roger Fakedell needs to get off this Greed trip and run this League the way its needs to b ran. At this point The Makers of Madden is just putting out anything and getting away with it. John Maddens Name is on this thing and its being dragged through the mud. Wow this really has gone to far.
I despise Roger Goodell but he is still in power because he makes the league and more importantly the owners so much money. Roger Goodell cares very little about what EA does with its video games so long as they keep making the NFL millions of dollars, which they have.

# 68 Sheba2011 @ 06/16/15 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel4Reel
You SHOULD care.

Not so much that a game has it....but because thats the only way another football game will ever have yearly releases and compete with Madden.

Otherwise, all you'll see is the occasional APF2K8 or Backbreaker type game that does a one off and doesnt bother to keep going because they know that no matter what they do, they wont compete with Madden.
I can honestly say this is very very low on my list of things to care about. I have much more important things in my life to worry about than a video game. Madden isn't perfect but it provides me an escape from reality for a few hours a day, obviously it could be better but it's all we have and no amount of me caring will change that.

The debate that competition would instantly make it better always makes me laugh because I look at games like MLB 2k, NBA Live and NHL 2k which all got gradually worse as time went on, despite all of those competing against the best game in the category. Shouldn't they have been constantly improving due to the competition factor?

# 69 Junior Moe @ 06/16/15 10:08 PM
That's ultimately how I feel about everything, too. I remember a few years ago a Madden dev stated that only about 5% (or some crazy low single digit number) of users used the NCAA import feature in Madden according to their data. As a "sim" player stuck on realism I was floored! I would have betted anything that at least 70% of the people who purchased both games did that. I was wrong in my thinking. Cant fault the company for that. They're looking at the data and respond accordingly. I don't necessarily like it, but it is what it is. The only thing one can do is accept that reality and hope that our needs are meet; move on from Madden; or just take it for what it is, enjoy what you can before moving on to other games.

# 70 Jet Sufferer @ 06/16/15 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I'm not saying you should be happy with exclusivity. I'm just saying people should know by now that it's not gonna change. The NFL will give EA the chance to retain it every time its up and they will. This is why I say nothing will change and we shouldn't be surprised by it.

In my opinion, the exclusive deal will remain in place until console gaming is no longer.

Every year someone comes here or there and says another NFL game is coming and people get so excited, only to be let down every year. So I choose to no longer believe anything will change.
I simply don't accept that it's never going to change.

If Roger Goodell and the NFLPA got a couple million hand written letters voicing their displeasure about the agreement with EA they would notice, there's one scenario, one that hasn't unfortunately hasn't happened yet.

Another scenario where a competitor comes along and offers full customization and the game sells like hotcakes.

Now there's a problem for EA and the NFL. Someone is making an "NFL" game and the NFL isn't getting paid. EA is paying for an exclusive that's not really an exclusive.

Now we are into lawyer territory. There is also another possible outcome other than lawyers. Perhaps EA says, well if this game is going to sell a million or two copies without having the license, maybe they can pay part of the license and we can recoup some of our money from the lost sales by "sharing" the cost of the license.

If let's say Montana does just that and the modding community makes it an NFL game, EA is going to feel ripped off and rightfully so. Just like EA got away with making historic rosters for a long time until guys realized. Hey they're using my likeness etc. for free.

This is only relevant if a game like Montana is really good and sells really well. It could get very interesting very quickly if Montana sells a couple million copies and Madden loses a couple million units.

Which is why I could never for the life of me understand why 2K didn't do this. They knew they had a competitor ripe for the picking. You may have to absorb some costs at the beginning but eventually you could be king of football again.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not certain just how far you can push with the customization and infringing on the license with user content, etc.

# 71 aholbert32 @ 06/17/15 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
I simply don't accept that it's never going to change.

If Roger Goodell and the NFLPA got a couple million hand written letters voicing their displeasure about the agreement with EA they would notice, there's one scenario, one that hasn't unfortunately hasn't happened yet.

Another scenario where a competitor comes along and offers full customization and the game sells like hotcakes.

Now there's a problem for EA and the NFL. Someone is making an "NFL" game and the NFL isn't getting paid. EA is paying for an exclusive that's not really an exclusive.

Now we are into lawyer territory. There is also another possible outcome other than lawyers. Perhaps EA says, well if this game is going to sell a million or two copies without having the license, maybe they can pay part of the license and we can recoup some of our money from the lost sales by "sharing" the cost of the license.

If let's say Montana does just that and the modding community makes it an NFL game, EA is going to feel ripped off and rightfully so. Just like EA got away with making historic rosters for a long time until guys realized. Hey they're using my likeness etc. for free.

This is only relevant if a game like Montana is really good and sells really well. It could get very interesting very quickly if Montana sells a couple million copies and Madden loses a couple million units.

Which is why I could never for the life of me understand why 2K didn't do this. They knew they had a competitor ripe for the picking. You may have to absorb some costs at the beginning but eventually you could be king of football again.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not certain just how far you can push with the customization and infringing on the license with user content, etc.
I'm an IP (copyright/trademark) lawyer so I'll give you my input:

First, you and I know that a million people wont write emails, hand written notes or tweets to the NFL and NFLPA about Madden. They wont. Even though many at OS like to believe that most of the gaming world is unhappy with Madden....its simply not true. I'm not saying that a significant amount of people dont have issues with the game just not enough to start a significant campaign.

Two, a generic game will never sell millions. Why? Because customization is too difficult. Most people think it will be as easy as a game allowing customization, a user (or group of users) creating a NFL mod with real players, uniforms etc and the game having an easy way for people to download this mod.

There are a bunch of problems with that:

- The generic game cant host those mods within the game. EA and the NFL would immediately send cease and desist letters to that company and demand that they take down that mod. If they dont they would be subject to losing millions of dollars in a copyright infringement suit. It would be a slam dunk case and would bankrupt the company.

- Next gen has made it virtually impossible to share content outside of the consoles because save files are tied to console IDs and no one has figured how to crack this. So people on consoles would be forced to create their own NFL and most people dont want to do that.

- So that leaves the PC. The mod issue isnt as much of a problem because you can share mods through the internet and they wont be difficult to install. Sounds good right? Here is what would happen in real life:

The NFL and EA would hire a law firm on retainer. Each day a paralegal would scour the net looking for nfl mods for JM16. That paralegal would send a cease and desist letter to any site that hosted the file. Most legitimate sites like OS and others would refuse to host the files because they want to avoid a lawsuit. Some would ignore the cease and desist letter....

....and those people would get served with trademark and copyright infringement lawsuits. These suits likely wouldnt cost EA/NFL much money because they are straight forward lawsuits, the lawyers are on a retainer and most of these lawsuits would be won very early in the process.

# 72 pantherfan_forever17 @ 06/17/15 12:31 AM
Think about it. If you owned the rights to the nfl in video game form and made bank every year would YOU give it up? heck no you wouldn't and if you say yes you would you are a dang lier or you made enough money that you could retire and live on a beach for the rest of your natural life. A company like ea would be stupid to give it up. Don't blame them, blame the nfl. And i'm certain if another game company came along and whispered in the nflpa/comish ear "pssh heres a couple million dollars mind if we make a nfl game?" i'm sure the nfl would say yes. money talks. sad but true.

# 73 denverbro89 @ 06/17/15 10:11 AM
I would love to see Pro Football Focus kick start their very own football game.

# 74 bad_philanthropy @ 06/17/15 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'm an IP (copyright/trademark) lawyer so I'll give you my input:

- So that leaves the PC. The mod issue isnt as much of a problem because you can share mods through the internet and they wont be difficult to install. Sounds good right? Here is what would happen in real life:

The NFL and EA would hire a law firm on retainer. Each day a paralegal would scour the net looking for nfl mods for JM16. That paralegal would send a cease and desist letter to any site that hosted the file. Most legitimate sites like OS and others would refuse to host the files because they want to avoid a lawsuit. Some would ignore the cease and desist letter....

Could you commment on why games like PES with option files overcoming lack of licensing, and similarly, FIFA 15 on PC having users adding new (authentically portrayed) leagues to the game, players, etc.. don't find themselves in this scenario? And, why the websites hosting and distributing these custom mods aren't subject to the legal action you describe?

The issue, as you stated it, seems correct to me. I'm just curious why reality doesn't appear to match the legal structure here. Or, is it just a case of video games plus licensing issues being a bit of a new frontier in IP? Should we stay tuned for more legal enforcement over mods and scaling back of customization in games generally?

# 75 aholbert32 @ 06/17/15 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Could you commment on why games like PES with option files overcoming lack of licensing, and similarly, FIFA 15 on PC having users adding new (authentically portrayed) leagues to the game, players, etc.. don't find themselves in this scenario? And, why the websites hosting and distributing these custom mods aren't subject to the legal action you describe?

The issue, as you stated it, seems correct to me. I'm just curious why reality doesn't appear to match the legal structure here. Or, is it just a case of video games plus licensing issues being a bit of a new frontier in IP? Should we stay tuned for more legal enforcement over mods and scaling back of customization in games generally?
Good question:

I'll give you an example with PES. I used to play the hell out of PES 6-7 years ago and I was an avid visitor to the sites that had their mods. I downloaded a mod that put the entire Premier League (stadiums, uniforms, chants, rosters) in the game. It was a really popular mod.

Well the Premier League got wind of this mod and sent that site a cease and desist letter. The site ignored the cease and desist letter so the PL sent a cease and desist letter to the online host of the site and got the ENTIRE site taken down. Hosting copyrighted or trademarked material without permission was a violation of the sites agreement with its host so the host took down the site.

Now to your question about why PES and EA get away with it, the answer is two fold. Regarding PES, EA isnt concerned about that game especially when the majority of mods are on PC. PES 15 sold half a million copies on 5 platforms and a small amount of that on PC. Take that small percentage of PC buyers and reduce it even further because not everyone who owns the PC game uses mods.

Regarding FIFA and its mods, I think those smaller leagues dont actually care and actually see those mods as publicity. Also, is it worth it to hire lawyers to go after a small community of fans who want to add your league to the world's most popular sports game?

At that small number, its not worth it for EA to start a campaign to keep those mods off the net. Especially when FIFA is the #1 selling sports game in the world.

Because of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, websites are only obligated to remove copyrighted works from their sites once notified that the hosting of those works constitutes copyright infringement.

For example, I could post a new Lil Wayne song on OS for download. Wayne's record label would send OS a takedown letter. OS would have two choices: Take it down and face no consequences or leave it up and get sued. Wayne's label could then go after me for copyright infringement but thats unlikely because even if they win they will likely receive little in damages because I'm not exactly rich.

Finally, if JM16 has full customization and isnt a success, I dont see EA or the NFL doing anything to stop PC mods. But if its a success, I expect them to go scorched earth and do what ever they can to stop any NFL mod.

# 76 Sheba2011 @ 06/17/15 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverbro89
I would love to see Pro Football Focus kick start their very own football game.
I wasn't aware they had any history of making video games. Not sure what the advantage of some sports stat site would be to making a video game. You think it would be better because for some reason? Just trying to understand the logic on this.

# 77 redsox4evur @ 06/17/15 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
I wasn't aware they had any history of making video games. Not sure what the advantage of some sports stat site would be to making a video game. You think it would be better because for some reason? Just trying to understand the logic on this.
My only thoughts are that the sim stats would be perfect. But that's all I got.

# 78 J.R. @ 06/17/15 03:03 PM
Ugh it's like the NFL doesn't care. They remind of the WWE. "just put something decent on the shelves!"

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

# 79 denverbro89 @ 06/17/15 03:26 PM
Idk maybe bring a different approach to a football game. From a tech standpoint Madden is a great product. But from a pure football look, it comes up short year after year. Not to say its a bad game, it just leaves you wanting just a little more. We get Penalties in M16, nice, but when I heard it explained, I sighed. They calculate what players commit penalties, and gave them a penalty rating. I thought that's what Awareness was, but ok, fine, solid implementation. Here's where PFF comes in. Why not see why these players are committing these penalties. Which in turn, can shed light on a players rating. OL often commit holding, because of bad footwork, or not having the strength to hold their blocks. That's what PFF offers for a sim gameplay experience.

# 80 Sheba2011 @ 06/18/15 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverbro89
Idk maybe bring a different approach to a football game. From a tech standpoint Madden is a great product. But from a pure football look, it comes up short year after year. Not to say its a bad game, it just leaves you wanting just a little more. We get Penalties in M16, nice, but when I heard it explained, I sighed. They calculate what players commit penalties, and gave them a penalty rating. I thought that's what Awareness was, but ok, fine, solid implementation. Here's where PFF comes in. Why not see why these players are committing these penalties. Which in turn, can shed light on a players rating. OL often commit holding, because of bad footwork, or not having the strength to hold their blocks. That's what PFF offers for a sim gameplay experience.
PFF doesn't tell you why players are committing penalties. Scouting reports would tell you that. PFF is a site run by state geeks that breaks down film and come up with arbitrary rankings based on their standards. In the grand scheme of things it's nothing more than bragging rights for fans.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.