Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

NBA 2K Gameplay Director, Mike Wang has been answering questions in various threads in the NBA 2K Forum, so I thought I'd gather them all here, for convenience.

As always, once patches are submitted to MS and Sony, it typically takes 10 to 14 days to become available (usually longer for MS).

Patch 3 Changes

Q: When will the third patch be released?
A: It should be finished this week... Then off to MS and Sony

Q: CPU being overpowered in Pro-Am.
A: This will be addressed in patch 3.

Q: Are blocks being addressed?
A: We're just nerfing poorly rated shot blockers so guys like JJ Redick aren't throwing shots like Lebron.
A: Blocks are being addressed in Patch 3.

Q: Is there a chance we could see stationary stepbacks and step shots get a healthy boost (especially when open) for the players that can do them (or have high ratings and relevant badges)?
A: This one's tricky, Sundown. Currently, standing stepback jumpers are treated the same as other "skill" shots like spin jumpers and pull-up J's. So to fix zig-zagging pull-ups, all of these shots took a pretty big hit. I need to put standing stepbacks in a separate category to be able to boost JUST those shot types, so it's something that we'd have to address in the patch. I'll investigate that today.

Q: Does shooting and Patch 3 tweaks apply in already in progress MyCareers?
A: Yes. They apply everywhere.

Q: Regarding stepback jumpers.
A: I think we have a solution for Patch 3. Until then, it's kind of hacky, but there is a workaround. If you hold LS away, tap Shoot to do the stepback jumper, but then pause for a brief moment (technically, breaking out of the shot to a live dribble, then shooting immediately after) rather than doing it as a Tap+Press&Hold mechanic, you can still create space with the stepback and then branch into the shot portion without incurring the penalty.

Q: Getting an off balance "contested" shot when you don't complete your dribble.
A: It will be patched.
A: Yes, this is what I was referring to when I said it will be patched. Guys playing fadeaway contested anims at inappropriate times. The defensive threshold to trigger those shot animations is just way too low. Nothing is changing with shot percentages... it's just an aesthetic change.

Q: Gameplay updates.
A: We've made a number of significant gameplay fixes for this 3rd patch and my time has been swamped trying to test and balance gameplay before it goes out the door, while also starting new designs and feature work on 2k17. So as much as I'd love to mess with you guys by tweaking the game every day, that's simply not a good use of time.

Shooting Changes

Q: Contested shots at the rim.
A: The change I made only impacts contact shots. Across the board, you should see those drop less. But you can tell by the animation, if the collision looks heavy (defender noticeably knocking the shooter off balance for example), the shot % gets dropped much lower than if the collision looks light (shooter is getting hit by the defender but his layup looks relatively undisturbed.)

Q: What constitutes an "excellent shooter" for these wide open 3 %s you've adjusted?
A: I don't want to give away how our shot heuristics work, but basically, anybody above a 75 rating would see a slight increase in wide open 3's since Saturday. The higher the rating, the bigger the increase. But again, the boost was pretty conservative.

Q: Contested threes.
A: Yeah, I didn't touch contested 3s at all. I can make a tweak there as well if you guys all feel it's a problem. Seems like most people are seeing plenty of bricks on well contested 3s though, so it's a little scary to hit them even harder. It's also possible that what you're perceiving as a well contested 3, is actually considered open as far as the game is concerned. That would change how I go about fixing your issue.

Q: What did the two shooting updates do?
A: The two updates mentioned by bcruise are the only shot % updates made to date. The first was to lower middies, the second to lower contact layups. I have noticed a significant increase in 3pt success since day 1 (primarily in the park), but I attribute that mostly to you guys getting better at the game and your players' leveling up over time.

Roster Updates

Q: Is there any type of live DNA updating that affects players day-to-day based on NBA day-to-day activities?
A: Mike Stauffer is our roster guy and is making regular updates, yes.

Other Updates

Q: Deadeye badge in NBA 2K16 compared to last year.
A: Deadeye was way too OP last year, essentially it made the game think that closing defenders were not there at all. It's still one of the strongest shooting badges, but we did have to neutralize it a bit.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 DocHolliday @ 11/09/15 05:46 PM
This thread is hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 142 MoneyOvaHuds @ 11/09/15 05:46 PM
That glitch of the double team being on Manual gotta get fixed

# 143 TheDuggler @ 11/09/15 10:10 PM
Definitely would like to see stamina looked at. I know that people want to run their stars all game but they should be gasping for air after sprinting for 40 minutes straight.

Right now I can't let people tire out their players because they never get significantly drained, at least in my experience so far. This is especially true in MyTeam and to a point PlayNow Online

# 144 Gerick90 @ 11/10/15 07:08 AM
anything about socks in my career

# 145 schmo20 @ 11/10/15 01:34 PM
A wager for 2ksports: if you can name one lottery pick that had mutton chops post-1990, you can keep generating rookies sporting the unsightly facial hair. If not, you have to patch it out.

# 146 Factzzz @ 11/10/15 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerick90
anything about socks in my career
One can only hope after 3 years of neglect.

# 147 ch46647 @ 11/10/15 06:07 PM
Has anyone asked Mike on Twitter if this patch has been submitted? I am anxiously awaiting the patch notes.

# 148 rjohns23 @ 11/10/15 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Has anyone asked Mike on Twitter if this patch has been submitted? I am anxiously awaiting the patch notes.
This and only this.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

# 149 Teleo @ 11/10/15 10:31 PM
I know that this is not a thread to list needs and wants as the title indicates the submittal of Patch #3 but I am new to the NBA 2k series and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I play CPU VS CPU in MyGm and I am currently at 18-6 with my Spurs, but ONE THING that I hope gets fixed in the next patch are the injuries. I have yet to have an injury to any of my players or the cpu and I watch each game. Injuries do happen if you sim as I accidentally did on one occasion but I have yet to see it "in the game".

# 150 scooterperpetual @ 11/10/15 11:06 PM
So I know that they already mentioned the patch will fix current MyCareer's but will it also apply to started MyGM/MyLeague's?

# 151 MeloJello @ 11/11/15 10:31 AM
Please tell me this patch is going to fix the horrible def rotation this game. I am trying my best to enjoy mycareer but im am getting piss off when my wing defenders keep leaving 3 point shooters open in the corner. Everytime a PG drive to the basket, I am the rim protector. I have the paint lockdown but these idiots keep leaving their man open on the wing. And they drain the three, You dont know how many freaking close game I have lost because of this and its freaking pissing me off. Even in the NBA you dont see this often. They Literally will just leave their man and run to the paint and boom the PG makes a crazy flashy pass to the open man and game is over.

My last 2k before jumping onto 2k16 was Nba2k13 and I don't remember seeing this bad of a def rotation in that game. I am really hoping this patch 3 address this.

# 152 Impetuous65 @ 11/11/15 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeloJello
Please tell me this patch is going to fix the horrible def rotation this game. I am trying my best to enjoy mycareer but im am getting piss off when my wing defenders keep leaving 3 point shooters open in the corner. Everytime a PG drive to the basket, I am the rim protector. I have the paint lockdown but these idiots keep leaving their man open on the wing. And they drain the three, You dont know how many freaking close game I have lost because of this and its freaking pissing me off. Even in the NBA you dont see this often. They Literally will just leave their man and run to the paint and boom the PG makes a crazy flashy pass to the open man and game is over.

My last 2k before jumping onto 2k16 was Nba2k13 and I don't remember seeing this bad of a def rotation in that game. I am really hoping this patch 3 address this.
I don't think the adaptive coaching engine is working properly if at all.

# 153 23 @ 11/11/15 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
I knew that wasn't going to work right when they first advertise it. This is a $400 system with a $60 game. There's no way this game is going to fully adjust like a real human. Otherwise it would be thousands if the technology was that advanced.
They never said that though

Quote:
THE ADAPTIVE COACHING ENGINE

This engine allows the AI to dynamically and progressively adapt to you, the gamer, as you play in your Exhibition, Season, and Playoff games. For the first time ever, each player is treated differently depending on the team, score and situation.

# 154 ch46647 @ 11/11/15 04:22 PM
Any news on this patch?

# 155 23 @ 11/11/15 04:51 PM
Quote:
But they alluded to that. Many companies do that. Strategic marketing that word something in a manner to have "you" fill in the blanks to make u think something is a certain way.
Im not filling in anything

Thats the short version and nowhere does the blog allude to what you just said. Its ridiculous of you to continue to justify something you just said was inaccurate

# 156 23 @ 11/11/15 05:24 PM
Quote:
Continuing to justify ? What I'm I justifying? I was just making an opinion man. Just an observation. Nothing to justify.
It wasn't even an opinion, you just flat out made something up.

I'm all for calling them out if they lied but I'm not sure where you get your "observation" from if they never said that in the blog. They even go into more detail which makes what you said even more false

# 157 Goffs @ 11/11/15 05:28 PM
Quote:
Continuing to justify ? What I'm I justifying? I was just making an opinion man. Just an observation. Nothing to justify. I agreed with something someone else commented on actually. Just my opinion.
I'm sorry but how is it an opinion?

# 158 BA2929 @ 11/11/15 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
I don't think the adaptive coaching engine is working properly if at all.
I have to make defensive and offensive adjustments all the time in my offline games on Superstar or the CPU will wreck me.

So yes, it seems to be working.

Quote:
TBecause I can adapt to the game and the technology is simply not there to adapt dynamically back and forth with me like a real human coach or user would.
That technology you're referring to doesn't even exist in the world. So unless you have extremely high expectations for a PS4 game, then nobody should have even expected the AI to "adjust like a real human would". What they said doesn't even imply that the AI is going to adapt like a real human. It just says it's going to adjust dynamically to what you do. And it does. Well that is, unless you try and break it which is easy because you're a human and it's a computer with a set limitations of things it can do. AI is 'artificial'. This isn't the movie 'Ex Machina'.

# 159 23 @ 11/11/15 06:16 PM
Quote:
They blog said the "adaptive coaching" adapts to what the user is doing correct?

What I'm saying, that is very limited. Because I can adapt to the game and the technology is simply not there to adapt dynamically back and forth with me like a real human coach or user would. It will adapt to some things but on a small scale. There are plays I can do over and kill the CPU consistently. So it's a limited technology. A real advanced system would cost thousands. They used the word "dynamic", which suggests certain things. And the technology that we have on these current systems, it's just not the case

Therefore that's why I said they "allude" in a manner to make someone think it's a certain way when it's really "dynamic" on a much smaller scale., and infact not dynamic at all. A dynamic AI. Is a A.I. that have multiple variations and levels where the A.i. can adjust and do many different things. That's not the case in this $60 game, IMHO.
No you're still making up a bunch of nonsense off of false assumptions and trying to apply said supposition off something 2k never said at all.

They never alluded to anything. The blog gives very clear examples of what the defensive AI does with pictures and player examples yet you want to continue on with your broken narrative of assumption.

You've completely ignored what I posted straight from the blog, nor are you using anything directly quoted from what was posted from the blog.

Its sad how people believe what they want and make up whatever they want on the internet and try to spew that to other people.

You're blatantly caught up in your own misconception in plain sight and still refuse to leave it alone.

Its easy to see talking about technology acting like a human hasn't been achieved in anything at all yet you expect it to be THAT advanced in a video game. Smh

# 160 Goffs @ 11/11/15 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
You've completely ignored what I posted straight from the blog, nor are you using anything directly quoted from what was posted from the blog.
Yeah....that's kinda like his thing....completely ignore an explanation and just go off on his own thing.

Only person to successfully get him to back of was sundown lol

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.