Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

The MLB The Show 16 Twitch stream has begun, post your thoughts here!

For those that miss out, we will update this post with the archive, when it has completed.

UPDATE: Here is the archive.

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/03/16 07:47 PM
While I agree that the franchise stream was a bit underwhelming, I think part of that is because they got scooped by information leaks. I'm also glad I don't play online I guess. For the most part, the devs handled the stats criticism (which was my #1 gripe) by adding career and sortable stat tracking for all stats and also adding in the first semblance of meaningful advanced stats with FIP, BB%, K%, and WAR. On the basis of that alone, I am pretty satisfied.

On top of that, the new morale system, updated radio show, updated scouting, and slightly deeper finances/owner goals will add some depth to the mode and to team building. I wish the scouting update went a bit further by incorporating injury history, signability, draft bonus pools/slots, agent politics etc...but it is what it is.

The thing that worried me most 2 weeks ago (player morale) doesn't really bother me now that I've learned more about it, except that maybe a "Star" expectation player getting jilted by batting in the 2 hole is a little weird considering the 2 hole hitter is arguably where the best hitter should bat based on SABR theory.

The thing that worries me most now is player progression, specifically stat-based progression. In the stream, Avisail Garcia dropped 10 points in contact vLHP after only a 114 AB sample. That type of drop is pretty insane given the math sez you need 2200 plate appearances for the past performance to become as accurate/predictive as just an average 5-6% generic platoon split. I don't mind stat-based progression, but a 10-point swing after such a small sample could really be a problem for noisy/sample-sizey issues like platoon splits and especially over the long haul of a franchise.

# 122 countryboy @ 03/03/16 07:48 PM
While I may be in the minority I for one love the changes to franchise mode this year. March 29th cannot get here fast enough.

# 123 tessl @ 03/03/16 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
A couple things I noticed. I see there may still be some roster management issues. End of season SEA is carrying 4 catchers and CLE has 14 pitchers.(possibly 13 if the DL player is a pitcher)

PLayers now can play 162 games!!

And you can now tell if a player has been extended a Qualifying Offer.
Could it be expanded rosters in September?

# 124 tabarnes19_SDS @ 03/03/16 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Could it be expanded rosters in September?
Picture I captured only had 25 man roster. So they were only carrying 25 guys..it was after sending guys down after expanding.

# 125 tessl @ 03/03/16 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
While I agree that the franchise stream was a bit underwhelming, I think part of that is because they got scooped by information leaks. I'm also glad I don't play online I guess. For the most part, the devs handled the stats criticism (which was my #1 gripe) by adding career and sortable stat tracking for all stats and also adding in the first semblance of meaningful advanced stats with FIP, BB%, K%, and WAR. On the basis of that alone, I am pretty satisfied.

On top of that, the new morale system, updated radio show, updated scouting, and slightly deeper finances/owner goals will add some depth to the mode and to team building. I wish the scouting update went a bit further by incorporating injury history, signability, draft bonus pools/slots, agent politics etc...but it is what it is.

The thing that worried me most 2 weeks ago (player morale) doesn't really bother me now that I've learned more about it, except that maybe a "Star" expectation player getting jilted by batting in the 2 hole is a little weird considering the 2 hole hitter is arguably where the best hitter should bat based on SABR theory.

The thing that worries me most now is player progression, specifically stat-based progression. In the stream, Avisail Garcia dropped 10 points in contact vLHP after only a 114 plate appearance sample. That type of drop is pretty insane given the math sez you need 1000 plate appearances for the past performance to become as accurate/predictive as just an average 8-9% generic platoon split. I don't mind stat-based progression, but a 10-point swing after such a small sample could really be a problem for noisy/sample-sizey issues like platoon splits and especially over the long haul of a franchise.
Is that just an in season slump or a permanent structural drop in his attribute? If permanent that's a major problem.

# 126 bcruise @ 03/03/16 08:05 PM
Took a while but we finally got an answer - the CPU is aware of the morale system and will base its organizational decisions around it in order to keep their players happy (I'm paraphasing, but that's the gist)

Thanks for answering that Luis, was one of my bigger concerns.

# 127 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/03/16 08:07 PM
Quote:
Is that just an in season slump or a permanent structural drop in his attribute? If permanent that's a major problem.
It looked to be an end of season, permanent 10-point decrease to the attribute based on a 114 AB sample of hitting .132 vLHPs.

Yes, I agree.

For platoon splits, a RHB needs about 2200 PA's vLHP for that past performance to be as predictive as a random 5.5% split in the future.

A LHB needs 1000 PA's vRHP for that past performance to be as predictive as a random 9% split in the future.

We could end up with all kinds of weird stuff...pronounced reverse platoon splits among them...if this aggressive progression/regression isn't patched/smoothed out.

# 128 rabnothimself @ 03/03/16 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Honestly, there really isn't much that needs an upgrade. I go to well over 20 games a year there and not much changes. Logos on the scoreboard aren't that big a deal. Also didn't see a home run so we don't know if the animation and lighting was addressed.

They did add the correct font to the foul poles and the outfield walls from the pics I sent last summer.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
I agree, Citizens Bank Park is pretty spot on, the only thing that annoys me about it is that all of the concession stands are completely empty in the park. It looks real bad in ashburn alley and on the one that's in the left field scoreboard porch.

# 129 BrianU @ 03/03/16 08:09 PM
Quote:
It's a 'permanent' adjustment to his ratings for the following season. Of course if he suddenly hits good against lefties again next season it will raise. The more I think about this and reading the post you quoted the more it bothers me. I don't understand why they have to make things so major, just make it a +4 or +5 max increase/decrease. Or give us a slider to control the amount of increase/decrease like NBA2k lets you have sliders for pretty much everything. Maybe there are people who want that large of a decrease but I know many of us don't.

The code is locked but they are always great about patches improving gameplay, this is something we need to raise noise about and maybe it will be tweaked.

# 130 bcruise @ 03/03/16 08:16 PM
Luis confirmed morale will integrate into a carry-over save. It's just generated the first time you load up the franchise in 16.

# 131 HozAndMoose @ 03/03/16 08:24 PM
The tournament part of the stream was 88.8 GB. The Show 17 might be out by the time YouTube processes that.

# 132 tessl @ 03/03/16 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
It's a 'permanent' adjustment to his ratings for the following season. Of course if he suddenly hits good against lefties again next season it will raise. The more I think about this and reading the post you quoted the more it bothers me. I don't understand why they have to make things so major, just make it a +4 or +5 max increase/decrease. Or give us a slider to control the amount of increase/decrease like NBA2k lets you have sliders for pretty much everything. Maybe there are people who want that large of a decrease but I know many of us don't.

The code is locked but they are always great about patches improving gameplay, this is something we need to raise noise about and maybe it will be tweaked.
I'm not a fan of the extremes but I'm willing to give it a try. I wonder if sending a guy to the minors for a month or two would fix it.

# 133 tessl @ 03/03/16 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
It didn't kill MVP or 2K....
Oh......yeah....not making money did that.

O.S. GRIPE LEVEL....OVERLOAD!!!
Wow.

M.K.
Knight165
Lack of manage mode was what ended those games :-)

# 134 vidgames @ 03/03/16 08:37 PM
So I am thinking spring training games are still useless to play? Same has MLB 06.

# 135 rabnothimself @ 03/03/16 08:38 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch the stream yet. I saw playoff pitcher stamina was fixed, but did they mention anything about fixing player stamina in general. It depletes way too fast.

# 136 tabarnes19_SDS @ 03/03/16 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnothimself
I haven't had a chance to watch the stream yet. I saw playoff pitcher stamina was fixed, but did they mention anything about fixing player stamina in general. It depletes way too fast.
There are players that played 162 games....seems to have been tweaked.

# 137 Knight165 @ 03/03/16 08:42 PM
Quote:
Ha....
Well....there would have been more players!(a few)

M.K.
Knight165

# 138 kehlis @ 03/03/16 08:42 PM
Quote:
Nah.

# 139 bcruise @ 03/03/16 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
There are players that played 162 games....seems to have been tweaked.
Yeah, we still have to find out how in-game fatigue compares to sim engine fatigue though - and that's something we probably won't know until launch day unless a dev chimes in.

# 140 Knight165 @ 03/03/16 08:44 PM
Don't know if it was mentioned.....or exactly what it means...but on the scouting player card....saw the injury risk: average.
I don't recall that before.

LOVE the new card.....hot/cold zones...thank you!

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.