Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

With EA Play and E3 nearing the promotional cycle for the next Madden has gotten underway. There’s a lot to be excited about already for Madden NFL 17 including long-overdue work to Special Teams, a new defensive AI system, special moves for ball-carriers, and a “renewed focus on Franchise mode.”

In this episode of the Press Row Podcast, Bryan Wiedey, Rich Grisham, and Kat Bailey discuss all the news, the concern over “Tackle Battles”, and what is being hoped for with Franchise mode.

Joining us this week:Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Run Time: 55 Minutes

Don’t forget about your chance to own Out of the Park Baseball 17 for 10% off! Just go to ootpdevelopments.com, click on the OOTP 17 banner, then enter the promotional code "PRESS17" at checkout to take another 10% off the price.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 OhMrHanky @ 05/24/16 10:45 AM
Lol. Listening to this right now. It's funny listening to one of the guys is DEFINITELY a CASUAL ARCADE style player, and the others feel more 'sim' oriented. But, the arcade guy wants penalties removed, pretty much. Lol. And he mentions how he misses offensive shootouts where u always go for it on 4th down. Lol, which always makes me (and, I think other simheads) CRINGE!!! Lol. But, to each his own, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 2 JayD @ 05/24/16 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Lol. Listening to this right now. It's funny listening to one of the guys is DEFINITELY a CASUAL ARCADE style player, and the others feel more 'sim' oriented. But, the arcade guy wants penalties removed, pretty much. Lol. And he mentions how he misses offensive shootouts where u always go for it on 4th down. Lol, which always makes me (and, I think other simheads) CRINGE!!! Lol. But, to each his own, of course.

I agree but try and use less "lol" next time.

# 3 Cowboy008 @ 05/24/16 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky

That would be a huge mistake to take out penalties. Also you can still have offensive shootouts.

# 4 OhMrHanky @ 05/24/16 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I agree but try and use less "lol" next time.

Yeah, you're right, that was a bit much. I was laughing quite a bit listening to the arcade style guy, though.

# 5 OhMrHanky @ 05/24/16 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
That would be a huge mistake to take out penalties. Also you can still have offensive shootouts.

Oh yeah, I agree. I loved the penalties this year. The other guys mentioned how that is more realistic, and the arcade guy agreed to that, but I think he just, personally, doesn't want them to 'hurt' his gameplay, I'd say. I played a couple games with M16 this year with a big PI at the end of a game, and I've had a big TD or 2 taken away due to holding. For me, that's totally realistic, u see that almost every week in at least one game if not many.

# 6 T5063 @ 05/24/16 11:31 AM
I still don't know why they can't just have an 'arcade' and 'sim' gameplay option. Other EA games have this.

Why do they need to make the game a mix of both?

# 7 snc237 @ 05/24/16 11:35 AM
I for one enjoy the penaltys. I like how you might have to get yourself out of a second and 20 or something.

# 8 SolidSquid @ 05/24/16 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
I for one enjoy the penaltys. I like how you might have to get yourself out of a second and 20 or something.
Yes def makes the game more dynamic. Also when it's 3rd and 15+ sometimes I'll just take a chance and throw one up hoping if I don't catch it I can draw a PI or defensive holding, and by the same sword sometimes on defense I bail the offense out with a penalty.

# 9 SageInfinite @ 05/24/16 11:53 AM
I just wish the penalties would occur more dynamic...

# 10 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/24/16 12:05 PM
Penalties need to be in game, and they need to have animations associated with them, as we all tend to look for what caused the flag; and the penalties should be weighted with the use of a collection of attributes, such as awareness, and blocking ability for run and pass, for example; thus one player may commit more holding penalties on pass plays than runs, because of a lower rating in a category; or a defender may commit defensive holding or interference in zone or man, based on ratings..

Of course, like the NFL, most "hail Mary" penalties should be overlooked; I recall it being noted in an NFL game, by a former official, that Hail MAry plays are just overlooked because, with all the grabbing from both sides, it would be a draw anyway...

Also. the system needs to stop controlling players that the user is in control of, thus allowing for late hit penalties or unnecessary roughness calls..If I want to hit the QB late, let me, and flag me; or if I wanna hit a player out of bounds, let me and flag me..etc.

# 11 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/24/16 12:16 PM
i would also like to see "good penalties." who here hasn't seen a defender, for example, who was about to be beat for a potential score, because of no backup, such as a safety, just go and commit a holding penalty or interference penalty?

Or an offensive lineman hold to protect the QB from a potentially devastating hit..Of course QB's in Madden do not get hurt, so maybe not worth the trouble..

# 12 SolidSquid @ 05/24/16 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
i would also like to see "good penalties." who here hasn't seen a defender, for example, who was about to be beat for a potential score, because of no backup, such as a safety, just go and commit a holding penalty or interference penalty?

Or an offensive lineman hold to protect the QB from a potentially devastating hit..Of course QB's in Madden do not get hurt, so maybe not worth the trouble..
Hey man they get hurt as long as you have 3 on your roster, 2 or 1 and there are no qb injuries lol.

But yes good penalties need to be and better than that the user needs to have some sort of control over it. So if I'm usering the corner about to be beat for a touchdown maybe I double tap the play wr button and he grabs the wr or tackles him or something lol

# 13 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/24/16 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Hey man they get hurt as long as you have 3 on your roster, 2 or 1 and there are no qb injuries lol.

But yes good penalties need to be and better than that the user needs to have some sort of control over it. So if I'm usering the corner about to be beat for a touchdown maybe I double tap the play wr button and he grabs the wr or tackles him or something lol
Agree 100%...and EA should get rid of the loophole that prevents a QB from getting injured just because you have 1 or 2 QBs. In Franchise I carry 2 QB's and in MUT I carry 1; I also only carry 1 RB, generally, in MUT, so they won't get injured..This is unrealistic, and EA needs to change the logic that can be used by users to manipulate the game.

Of course I am a proponent of seeing linemen get injured; maybe not for weeks or a season, but we could start slow with a player being out for a quarter or half, of a game, which would make depth charts worth more, other than being places to keep players we are trying to build into starters, and also force users in other modes, like MUT, to build a full roster.

# 14 SolidSquid @ 05/24/16 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Agree 100%...and EA should get rid of the loophole that prevents a QB from getting injured just because you have 1 or 2 QBs. In Franchise I carry 2 QB's and in MUT I carry 1; I also only carry 1 RB, generally, in MUT, so they won't get injured..This is unrealistic, and EA needs to change the logic that can be used by users to manipulate the game.

Of course I am a proponent of seeing linemen get injured; maybe not for weeks or a season, but we could start slow with a player being out for a quarter or half, of a game, which would make depth charts worth more, other than being places to keep players we are trying to build into starters, and also force users in other modes, like MUT, to build a full roster.
The whole injury system needs to be redone, we need non contact injuries(Jalen Ramsey just had one), off ball injuries(it's 2016 and only players tackling or being tackled can get hurt), true NFL injury designations(probable, doubtful, out), lingering/nagging injuries(players can play with reduced ratings related to the injury, so a leg injury affects speed, a hand injury affects catching/tackling/blocking), wear and tear injuries ( repeatedly injuring the same body part reduces the longevity of said body part leading to retirement or something), a full training staff(affects injury prevention and recovery).

I'd also like to have the option on how to deal with my guys injuries, surgery(longer recovery time less chance of re-injury) or rehab/physical therapy(shorter recovery time with higher chance of re-injury)

# 15 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/24/16 12:42 PM
Quote:
The whole injury system needs to be redone, we need non contact injuries(Jalen Ramsey just had one), off ball injuries(it's 2016 and only players tackling or being tackled can get hurt), true NFL injury designations(probable, doubtful, out), lingering/nagging injuries(players can play with reduced ratings related to the injury, so a leg injury affects speed, a hand injury affects catching/tackling/blocking), wear and tear injuries ( repeatedly injuring the same body part reduces the longevity of said body part leading to retirement or something), a full training staff(affects injury prevention and recovery).

I'd also like to have the option on how to deal with my guys injuries, surgery(longer recovery time less chance of re-injury) or rehab/physical therapy(shorter recovery time with higher chance of re-injury)
Again, I agree 100%...Would add, I can see the desire to not have QB's injured, as even the NFL is trying its best to protect QB's, but once the QB goes past the LOS, he should be treated as any other rusher, and thus open to the same injury risks...

# 16 bloobloouk @ 05/24/16 12:51 PM
Quote:

This is one of my top big desires to see in CFM. I want to worry about whether my roster is going to be ravaged by injuries, I want to think twice about offering my top receiver a mega contract if he's coming off an ACL injury.

Injuries are just timeouts at present - I want more of them, and I want them to matter!

# 17 frostbyt @ 05/24/16 01:05 PM
Nice podcast. I am actually into 2022 in an online QB Only CFM that has been a blast. I could not agree more with the Kat and Brian's comments about the information given in game and out of game. A ticker would be great, NCAA did it best but in reality I just want a weekend wrap up show or newspaper-esq thing we can check out in one place. Lose the twitter feeds and put important information on that main page.

Keep penalties! But tweak the variety...Holding was about 95% of the calls in my league, then Pass interference and then Unsportsmanlike conduct. I used sliders but even then the consistency of the calls remained.

# 18 Herschie @ 05/24/16 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloobloouk
This is one of my top big desires to see in CFM. I want to worry about whether my roster is going to be ravaged by injuries, I want to think twice about offering my top receiver a mega contract if he's coming off an ACL injury.

Injuries are just timeouts at present - I want more of them, and I want them to matter!
I like this idea. Make it so that the player might not be the same after the injury. Like Gale Sayers.

# 19 bloobloouk @ 05/24/16 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
I like this idea. Make it so that the player might not be the same after the injury. Like Gale Sayers.
Yeah, but it shouldn't just be another reason for regression - AP didn't suddenly become a substandard player.

I envisage a true progressive injury system where you have a guy come back from injury and therefore he may be more likely to injure himself in the same place again, even while performing at the top of his game.

# 20 Godgers12 @ 05/24/16 01:21 PM
I just wish from a penalty perspective that the C would snap as soon as the D jumped so you can get a free play. Rodgers gets like 2-3 free plays a game. Hoping they implement this.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.