Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

GameInformer has posted quite a few short video clips of various concepts and changes in Madden NFL 17. They include showing off the toned down aggressive catch, improved line play, new ball physics, throwing on the run, running game, defensive zones and more.

Make sure to scroll down the page to find them.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 Brooke2011 @ 07/27/16 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
And I can't remember a time that there wasn't a release day patch which gives credence to the statement that the game isn't done yet regardless of the gold date.
That just justifies my post.... The game is done and they are working on patches. But as far as final product, it is done. And those release day patches are not that specific for what they incorporate. Is it core gameplay? Is it MUT? They are not that specific sometimes. If EA dropped a gameplay video tomorrow, it would not be far off from any patch that's coming on release day. In other words, most people won't see the difference in 5 minute videos.

# 82 CM Hooe @ 07/27/16 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke2011
That just justifies my post.... The game is done and they are working on patches. But as far as final product, it is done. And those release day patches are not that specific for what they incorporate. Is it core gameplay? Is it MUT? They are not that specific sometimes. If EA dropped a gameplay video tomorrow, it would not be far off from any patch that's coming on release day.
If you subscribe to the mid-2000s model of how console video games work - where you get a boxed release and maybe two patches total to fix problems - you are reasonably close to correct.

If, however, you are a proponent of the present-day idea of games-as-a-service, which proposes year-round product technical and content updates and support, you literally could not be more wrong.

Many AAA game developers, Tiburon among them, have come around to the idea of games-as-a-service. Using Madden NFL 16 as a strong data point for the following assertion - M16 has seen maybe a dozen post-release patches this year, one as late as last week, and weekly Ultimate Team and Draft Champions content updates since the game launched last August - Madden NFL 17 won't be "done" in the traditional sense of the word until Madden NFL 18 is available for purchase in stores.

As to zero-day patches, they often don't get public-facing patch notes because the end user won't have played the pre-patch version of the game in 99% of cases. It's unnecessary and doesn't garner any of the goodwill a post-launch title update earns, when people are more familiar with a game's warts.

Quote:
In other words, most people won't see the difference in 5 minute videos.
The people who are buying Madden NFL on day one are the hardest of the hardcore. These people are the ones who feen for the drip-feed of any information about the new game, the ones who will praise the game for the most minor of authenticity details, the ones who will tear the game apart for one missed spot of animation coverage. The audience for a pre-release video right now, well before the NFL is back in the public conscious, is comprised of the very people who will see these otherwise trivial differences.

Besides, the people in this audience are by-and-large going to buy Madden anyway, regardless of the existence of pre-release gameplay footage, so it's arguably also a waste of effort, particularly in a world like ours where the most die-hard Madden enthusiasts will be streaming the game prior to launch day on Twitch and basically doing EA's video-making and advertising for them.

# 83 redsfan4life @ 07/27/16 02:59 AM
I am all for defense being beefed up. I didn't see anything that bad, it's obvious Mathieu had Cover 1 responsibility on that play against the Steelers. I have no issues with that play, the throw was soft and did not lead the WR properly. Maybe defense will actually be fun this year.

# 84 NDAlum @ 07/27/16 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Well besides the obvious of getting to see it sooner is better than having to wait till later, there's the fact that this year they was very little uncut game play period, even for E3/EA Play, unlike previous years and with all the claims about what's been tuned and/or fixed since that build, I'd like to see how it looks now. Not to mention they never can get too early a jump start on the next applicable patch from visual issues the many eye's of the community can catch that the few of EA Tib might have missed.

I fail to see why it wouldn't matter from a gamers POV, maybe you'll elaborate on your opinion.
I'll check out game play videos before I buy the game to make my decision. It doesn't matter if it is 3 weeks or 3 days before the game releases. It's not a time sensitive matter for me. I have no desire to break down game play videos and find issues for EA.

I'll be out of town during the release anyways.

# 85 l8knight1 @ 07/27/16 08:27 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
They said there would be new "camera angles" not gameplay cameras. They were talking about presentation camera angles. It's already been confirmed there are no new gameplay cameras. We seriously need a Custom camera option back though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
Thanks. This is very disappointing news.
When have we ever had a customizable play camera?

# 86 Brooke2011 @ 07/27/16 10:28 AM
So according to CM hoo the game is incomplete and won't ever be a final product until 2017? I'm not completely sold on that . The core game is going to be intact and little tweaks will be patched in but I'll bet the house that what is available now is 99% of what you'll be getting on launch.

# 87 jpdavis82 @ 07/27/16 10:30 AM
Quote:
So according to CM hoo the game is incomplete and won't ever be a final product until 2017? I'm not completely sold on that . The core game is going to be intact and little tweaks will be patched in but I'll bet the house that what is available now is 99% of what you'll be getting on launch.

That depends on how important you consider things like formation subs, they may not be in at launch but if they add them along the way that would be pretty big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 88 Hova57 @ 07/27/16 10:32 AM
The fact they say it can be patched in makes me believe it's destined to be patch 2

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

# 89 seasprite @ 07/27/16 10:34 AM
Quote:
I believe that is just what he said

# 90 ChicagoChris @ 07/27/16 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
If you subscribe to the mid-2000s model of how console video games work - where you get a boxed release and maybe two patches total to fix problems - you are reasonably close to correct.

If, however, you are a proponent of the present-day idea of games-as-a-service, which proposes year-round product technical and content updates and support, you literally could not be more wrong.

Many AAA game developers, Tiburon among them, have come around to the idea of games-as-a-service. Using Madden NFL 16 as a strong data point for the following assertion - M16 has seen maybe a dozen post-release patches this year, one as late as last week, and weekly Ultimate Team and Draft Champions content updates since the game launched last August - Madden NFL 17 won't be "done" in the traditional sense of the word until Madden NFL 18 is available for purchase in stores.

As to zero-day patches, they often don't get public-facing patch notes because the end user won't have played the pre-patch version of the game in 99% of cases. It's unnecessary and doesn't garner any of the goodwill a post-launch title update earns, when people are more familiar with a game's warts.

The people who are buying Madden NFL on day one are the hardest of the hardcore. These people are the ones who feen for the drip-feed of any information about the new game, the ones who will praise the game for the most minor of authenticity details, the ones who will tear the game apart for one missed spot of animation coverage. The audience for a pre-release video right now, well before the NFL is back in the public conscious, is comprised of the very people who will see these otherwise trivial differences.

Besides, the people in this audience are by-and-large going to buy Madden anyway, regardless of the existence of pre-release gameplay footage, so it's arguably also a waste of effort, particularly in a world like ours where the most die-hard Madden enthusiasts will be streaming the game prior to launch day on Twitch and basically doing EA's video-making and advertising for them.
Great and intelligent post. I for one would welcome a subscription model. That is how Office works. You pay a monthly cost and you get new features and up to use on 5 PC's. Perhaps not apples to apples with Madden, but imagine a subscription where you get new content for a monthly fee. Sure, there would have to be value in it but it could work.

This is how a lot of games are going now. Look at Star Wars Battlefront. You buy the game and they try and sell you a season pass with it for $50. Not my cup of tea but i can see that model working for Madden.

# 91 CM Hooe @ 07/27/16 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
And in those dozen patches for 16, I can't recall any with major gameplay changes.

Salary Cap Ranked, Draft Champions Play A Friend, and Franchise XP sliders are most definitely not bug fixes and are each major feature introductions. These new game modes and options have meaningfully extended the experience of playing Madden NFL 16, none of them were available at launch last August, and all three changed the value proposition of buying Madden NFL 16 by providing the user more ways to play the game.

It's not the first time a Madden game has been extended post-launch, either. Ultimate Team was added in a patch in Madden NFL 10 (as well as AFL Anniversary mode), Madden NFL 13 added a bunch of stuff to the first version of Connected Franchise post-launch (notably fantasy draft, roster import, and rudimentary player editing). Madden NFL 15 added an optional additional play-calling menu interface. And so on.

# 92 Brooke2011 @ 07/27/16 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
That depends on how important you consider things like formation subs, they may not be in at launch but if they add them along the way that would be pretty big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No ,formation subs would be huge !!!!I'm strictly talking about core gameplay.
Don't get me wrong EA does a great job tweaking things. But remember it took 11-12 months to make the game . One or two weaks won't effect the core gameplay.

# 93 roadman @ 07/27/16 11:30 AM
Quote:
That's if that actually happens. Let's not give them credit for things they have yet to do. Maybe we should wait and give them credit they deserve AFTER they actually do it.
I don't know, didn't he use words like if and would be?

I don't think he's giving credit now when using words like if and would be, all a matter of interpretation, I guess.

As far as patches, they did include a new salary cap a few patches ago.

The game will be out in whatever state the game comes out in. I think it's safe the use the phraseology, continuous development, which is what Rex and Clint have been referring to.

# 94 Brooke2011 @ 07/27/16 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Salary Cap Ranked, Draft Champions Play A Friend, and Franchise XP sliders are most definitely not bug fixes and are each major feature introductions. These new game modes and options have meaningfully extended the experience of playing Madden NFL 16, none of them were available at launch last August, and all three changed the value proposition of buying Madden NFL 16 by providing the user more ways to play the game.

It's not the first time a Madden game has been extended post-launch, either. Ultimate Team was added in a patch in Madden NFL 10 (as well as AFL Anniversary mode), Madden NFL 13 added a bunch of stuff to the first version of Connected Franchise post-launch (notably fantasy draft, roster import, and rudimentary player editing). Madden NFL 15 added an optional additional play-calling menu interface. And so on.
Your missing the point I think.Those are add- on's .they are not core gameplay.... Yes Ea adds on those things ,but you'll never see those or be able to judge them in a five minute gameplay clip.... That's my point .

# 95 Brooke2011 @ 07/27/16 11:47 AM
https://youtu.be/hdi4r-TQt1I
This is a good example. Look at this gameplay and say to yourself " on launch day will this be any different?" Do I see formation subs in this video..... No. Could they be patched in.... Yes. Do I see extended MUT content...... No. Could they be patched in?... Yes. What I'm focusing on is core gameplay. There is no way that there will be major changes to what is in this video now or in three weaks.

# 96 roadman @ 07/27/16 11:51 AM
Quote:
Then why mention it as a rebuttal to that gentleman's point if it hasn't happened yet and may or may not happen?
Maybe because one of the developers said they didn't have time to get in formation subs and defensive matchups, but you don't know what might happen down the road regarding continuous development.

It leads some people to feel they might be able to get those features in, maybe, perhaps?

Hope isn't such a bad thing to express, is it? Deserves as much time and space as pessimism does.

# 97 Brooke2011 @ 07/27/16 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Maybe because one of the developers said they didn't have time to get in formation subs and defensive matchups, but you don't know what might happen down the road regarding continuous development.

It leads some people to feel they might be able to get those features in, maybe, perhaps?

Hope isn't such a bad thing to express, is it? Deserves as much time and space as pessimism does.
Those have nothing to do with core gameplay. Those are great features , but you don't see them in the running clip. What I'm looking at is Core blocking, tackling, running back animations and defense AI.

# 98 roadman @ 07/27/16 12:00 PM
Quote:
https://youtu.be/hdi4r-TQt1I
This is a good example. Look at this gameplay and say to yourself " on launch day will this be any different?" Do I see formation subs in this video..... No. Could they be patched in.... Yes. Do I see extended MUT content...... No. Could they be patched in?... Yes. What I'm focusing on is core gameplay. There is no way that there will be major changes to what is in this video now or in three weaks.
If you would have expressed "core gameplay" in your first post, maybe there wouldn't be all this back and forth.

Will there be major changes to game play? No.

If formation subs and defensive matchups are included later on, to me, those just aren't add-ons, those change the way you prepare and play the game.

And there are people that will see that differently than I do.

# 99 roadman @ 07/27/16 12:01 PM
Quote:
Those have nothing to do with core gameplay. Those are great features , but you don't see them in the running clip. What I'm looking at is Core blocking, tackling, running back animations and defense AI.
Great, to you it doesn't, other peoples mileage may vary and they aren't wrong and neither are you.

To each their own.

# 100 Brooke2011 @ 07/27/16 12:16 PM
So to get back on track.... ""Core gameplay""is basically done ..... To show gameplay footage or maybe create or edit a player video and see exactly how it looks in the game would be welcomed. I will point one thing since EAPlay. In all the vids I've seen I have not once seen that Doug Martin juke that showed off the new juke moves. Is this harder to execute than one might thought? Or did it come down to no one really trying it out? These are some of the things I'd like to break down in videos once they become available..... You know... That core gameplay stuff

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.