Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has continued revealing their Madden NFL 17 player ratings today, as they announce the top 5 cornerbacks in the game. More detailed ratings can be seen in the official blog.

Check them out and post your thoughts!
  • Josh Norman (Overall 94)
  • Chris Harris, Jr. (Overall 93)
  • Richard Sherman (Overall 92)
  • Patrick Peterson (Overall 91)
  • Darrelle Revis (Overall 91)
Previously released Madden NFL 17 player ratings:

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 Vollin @ 07/28/16 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
If that were the case, Cordarrelle Patterson would be considered a great WR

Patterson is a great WR. GBO.

# 22 extremeskins04 @ 07/28/16 01:25 PM
This list confuses me badly. I love the Redskins as I'm originally from Washington DC, but how is Josh Norman #1 over Peterson, Revis, Haden, Sherman?

I'm really confused.

Also, what about Chris Harris, Jason Verrett?

# 23 crackdownjr @ 07/28/16 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcooks
Pat Pete makes too many mistakes and gets the business too much against the top wrs. Im sorry, he overrated. Great athleticism. Gets a lot of hype for holding the top men, but is getting beat quite often by them. Chris Harris after what AB did to him should be number 5 at best. Sherman could get a little more respect. Norman earned that top spot. Revis aint the same as he was, but deserves to be top 4.
Agreed. PP deserves credit for his play, which is what he got. CBs just can't be expected to mirror top WRs without help from a safety or pass rush. That Revis Island season years back was an anomaly & Revis definitely earned a 99 ovr for playing near flawless man coverage with great zone coverage for an entire season. Sherman's back to back 8 int seasons proved that he had near flawless zone coverage with great man coverage to compliment it. PP hasn't reached that level yet & none of these guys played to that level last year, but I look forward to seeing some phenominal cb play this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
This list confuses me badly. I love the Redskins as I'm originally from Washington DC, but how is Josh Norman #1 over Peterson, Revis, Haden, Sherman?

I'm really confused.

Also, what about Chris Harris, Jason Verrett?
Harris is in, Haden isn't. Haden has been injured and hasn't played up to that top cb level for a while. Verrett has played great when on the field, but has been injured too often to crown him as a top 5 cb after limited play.

# 24 jwing7 @ 07/28/16 01:31 PM
Quote:
Pat Pete makes too many mistakes and gets the business too much against the top wrs. Im sorry, he overrated. Great athleticism. Gets a lot of hype for holding the top men, but is getting beat quite often by them. Chris Harris after what AB did to him should be number 5 at best. Sherman could get a little more respect. Norman earned that top spot. Revis aint the same as he was, but deserves to be top 4.
AB killed him but that game was the first TD he had given up in two years. Harris has consistently been one of the best CB's in football for the last four years. Can't fault him too much for having a bad day against the games toughest cover.

# 25 jwing7 @ 07/28/16 01:44 PM
Quote:
That's true. But he doesn't jump out to me as the #2 best corner in the league. He has Aqib Talib and Tj Ward. That's a great secondary there. Not saying he isn't top 5, but he gotta do a little more to be over Pat and Sherm. Also look who he has rushing for him. Von and Ware. His defense makes his life much easier.
Tough to make the argument that Pat and Sherm are better due to Denver having more talent. While I think Denver does have more talent, it's not like the Cardinals and Seahawks are slouches on Defense (especially in the secondary). CHJ can play outside or in the slot. I think his versatility is why he ranked so high.

# 26 Rocket32 @ 07/28/16 01:51 PM
The only problem I have with this is Norman being #1. Definately think they got the guys who are in the top 5 right though. I just don't think Norman's the number 1 CB in the NFL.

# 27 Yazan Gable @ 07/28/16 01:52 PM
Quote:
Darrelle Revis declined but should be better than a guy who had one bad game against the best receiver in the NFL and Josh Norman deserves to be at the top spot despite being in a favorable zone system. Hrm.

# 28 Datninja619 @ 07/28/16 01:57 PM
I'm curious where Jason Verrett lands at. Gotta be 85OVR or higher.

# 29 The JareBear @ 07/28/16 02:09 PM
I honestly have felt for a little while that Talib gets asked to do more on our defense than Chris. That's just my opinion.

On the flip side of that, I think Chris is a little bit quicker than they give him credit for, accel wise.

I don't think Chris' rating is wrong at all as far as overall, I think the other guys should be higher though. It's a case of they're too low, not he's too high IMO.

If I had it my way he would be fifth best CB with four of those guys ahead of him

# 30 Yazan Gable @ 07/28/16 02:11 PM
Quote:
It was that favorable yet, no other corner in that system has ever excelled as he has..okay...CHJ is great but is on a great D. Revis doesn't have that. Put him on that team with that pass rush and secondary and I think you don't see his decline as much as you claim he is declining. CHJ is great though.
You're right, including Josh Norman who was on the team before last year and wasn't even a starter then. This defense was also still good despite starting broken down Charles Tillman, street free agent Cortland Finnegan and perpetual liability Robert McClain. He is still a top 5 guy but he was in a system that didn't need great cornerbacks and didn't ask cornerbacks to be great.
Darrelle Revis was in a Top 5 defense (Broncos were a historically great defense, but the Jets weren't middling) with a strong pass rush.

# 31 The JareBear @ 07/28/16 02:22 PM
Quote:
A argument could be made that when Talib and Ward came, that is when this secondary became great. CHJ is a great player. Cant overlook who he is with, just like with Sherman or Pat. Norman was in the running for DMVP this year because of how hard he was balling. This year will say a lot about Norman though, I must say. He is a irritant, tough, physical, and very fast/quick, with great range. Having a d that doesn't need great corners, doesn't mean you aren't a good corner. That Jets d line is the only thing elite on that defense besides him.
I definitely would, and have, argued that at Talib maybe makes more of an impact game-to-game than Chris.

# 32 Yazan Gable @ 07/28/16 02:28 PM
Quote:
Having a d that doesn't need great corners, doesn't mean you aren't a good corner. That Jets d line is the only thing elite on that defense besides him.
Having a defense that doesn't need great corners also means that corners who look great didn't have to do that much to look great. Also, regardless of what you think of the talent on that Jets defense, it is still a top 5 defense that Revis played in. One corner doesn't turn a mediocre defense into one of the best in the league.

# 33 OhMrHanky @ 07/28/16 03:11 PM
Holy crap!! No one is talking about the speed ratings???!!!! Lol. I am willing to accept that they've tweaked ratings differently this year and with the D gameplay adjustments, I am taking with faith that I don't have to worry. But, wow. CB is arguably the fastest position in the NFL. WRs maybe have caught up in recent years. But, I always think back to Deion and deangelo hall (even Darrell green back in the day) 40 times at the combine. And, obviously, cbs need speed to compete at that position. And, while I wont argue with the specific player ratings (Sherman isn't necessarily 'fast' so 89 is ok, etc), but wow, yeah, this tells me either the ratings really HAVE been tweaked in M17 to allow for man and zone cov to dictate coverage more than simply allowing cbs to be 'faster' than WRs to make up for video game coverage programming issues. Which, is certainly good IF that is the case. But, what do u guys think? Speed ratings look ok to u for these guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 34 jbd345 @ 07/28/16 03:32 PM
Lmao how does Gilmore and Darby not make this list. Revis in the top five? Sammy Watkins might have something to say about that.

# 35 Vollin @ 07/28/16 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Holy crap!! No one is talking about the speed ratings???!!!! Lol. I am willing to accept that they've tweaked ratings differently this year and with the D gameplay adjustments, I am taking with faith that I don't have to worry. But, wow. CB is arguably the fastest position in the NFL. WRs maybe have caught up in recent years. But, I always think back to Deion and deangelo hall (even Darrell green back in the day) 40 times at the combine. And, obviously, cbs need speed to compete at that position. And, while I wont argue with the specific player ratings (Sherman isn't necessarily 'fast' so 89 is ok, etc), but wow, yeah, this tells me either the ratings really HAVE been tweaked in M17 to allow for man and zone cov to dictate coverage more than simply allowing cbs to be 'faster' than WRs to make up for video game coverage programming issues. Which, is certainly good IF that is the case. But, what do u guys think? Speed ratings look ok to u for these guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you, I'm hoping they have tweaked the coverage, because in M16 an 89 Speed CB would consistently et burned.

# 36 jwing7 @ 07/28/16 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Lmao how does Gilmore and Darby not make this list. Revis in the top five? Sammy Watkins might have something to say about that.
My guess would be that the people who did the ratings aren't biased Bills fans like yourself.

# 37 Gilley @ 07/28/16 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
One bad game warrants getting knocked out of the top five?

# 38 87Birdman @ 07/28/16 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I honestly have felt for a little while that Talib gets asked to do more on our defense than Chris. That's just my opinion.

On the flip side of that, I think Chris is a little bit quicker than they give him credit for, accel wise.

I don't think Chris' rating is wrong at all as far as overall, I think the other guys should be higher though. It's a case of they're too low, not he's too high IMO.

If I had it my way he would be fifth best CB with four of those guys ahead of him
Talib does tend to get put against the bigger receiver while Harris gets the more shifty.

I also remember reading Harris was the best slot corner in the nfl holding qbs to a rating I think around 45 or something. Harris ability to play inside and out to me makes him above what talib is asked to do.

Add in how undisciplined talib is with his personal fouls and bone headed decisions lol.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

# 39 Mauer4MVP @ 07/28/16 04:40 PM
I feel like CB and WR are some of the more deeper positions in the league. We could see a ton of guys in the 80s.

# 40 Blazzen @ 07/28/16 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
What does being a good punt returner have to do with being a good cornerback?
Boosts his overall rating when punt return ratings are higher.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.