Home
The Golf Club 2 News Post

GameInformer has posted a new developer trailer for The Golf Club 2, giving fans a glimpse of the revamped course creator, online competitions and more.

They have also posted an interview with producer, Shaun West, answering questions on Societies, new tempo swing, course creation, and much more.

How does the game handle bringing your offline Society online? Does the entire Society (clubhouse, etc.) go online, or is it just the money that transfers?

The only things that carry over from Career Mode to Societies are your earnings and any player customizations that have been purchased. The progression of a Society will evolve as it grows with members and more prestigious events.

When online Societies are playing against each other, in terms of matchmaking, does it matter if the Societies are of different member sizes or have more money in the bank?

When competing in Society vs Society there will be multiple leaderboards for each event. Depending on the number of members you have completing in that event, your Society will be grouped in a corresponding leaderboard. All Societies will be free to complete in any event that's being held, if they can meet the criteria set by the hosting Society.

Read the full interview and watch the trailer here.

Game: The Golf Club 2Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 kehlis @ 02/06/17 04:49 PM
Wow looks great. Awesome to hear our courses can be carried over from 1 into to 2.

I really forsee that Bushwood club subforum finally being bumped for the first time in years.

# 2 RIFRIG @ 02/06/17 07:28 PM
Looks the same as TGC

# 3 Ronoko @ 02/07/17 10:17 AM
They have already come close to maxing out what a small studio can do graphically unfortunately.

# 4 jrdsvtk @ 02/07/17 11:34 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes! Bushwood Society cometh! My body is ready for this.

# 5 mike24forever @ 02/07/17 12:17 PM
It will nice to see Bushwood and hopefully all the old members and new return. I'm really looking forward to them adding tempo in the swing mechanic. Sounds great.

# 6 OnlookerDelay @ 02/07/17 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFRIG
Looks the same as TGC
Did you not see the "Pre-Alpha Video" watermark all over the videos they showed? What you saw there looked the same as TGC because it is TGC, with the new tempo swing underneath it, which you won't be able to tell the difference in until you play it.

I don't know why they're authorizing the publication of promotional videos of the new game, when they aren't representative of the new game!? They've got new mo-capped animations, male and female, that will be paired with fully customizable created golfers, new lighting, new grass transitions, and more. I can't say for sure that they will look great, but it will have a considerably different look than what you see in this video.

# 7 DivotMaker @ 02/07/17 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronoko
They have already come close to maxing out what a small studio can do graphically unfortunately.
Has far less to do with the size of the studio and far more to do with the engine they are using (Unity).....Unity 5.5 is a huge improvement over the engine that TGC1 was developed on and if they are smart, they will design TGC2 around Unity 5.5 with the intent that as soon as Unity 5.6 is out of beta, to update to that version.....

# 8 RIFRIG @ 02/07/17 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Did you not see the "Pre-Alpha Video" watermark all over the videos they showed? What you saw there looked the same as TGC because it is TGC, with the new tempo swing underneath it, which you won't be able to tell the difference in until you play it.

I don't know why they're authorizing the publication of promotional videos of the new game, when they aren't representative of the new game!? They've got new mo-capped animations, male and female, that will be paired with fully customizable created golfers, new lighting, new grass transitions, and more. I can't say for sure that they will look great, but it will have a considerably different look than what you see in this video.
I just can't understand why HB would not want to show the updated graphics to help promote their efforts.
I honestly think the best we can expect will be on par with what EA used to deliver from one year to the next.

Rinse & repeat.

# 9 Ronoko @ 02/07/17 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Has far less to do with the size of the studio and far more to do with the engine they are using (Unity).....Unity 5.5 is a huge improvement over the engine that TGC1 was developed on and if they are smart, they will design TGC2 around Unity 5.5 with the intent that as soon as Unity 5.6 is out of beta, to update to that version.....
I'd settle for the existeing graphics being optimized better. On my rig I can run most games on full detail without much framerate loss. I can run TGC with fairly high settings but can't get a steady framerate.

# 10 DivotMaker @ 02/08/17 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronoko
I'd settle for the existeing graphics being optimized better. On my rig I can run most games on full detail without much framerate loss. I can run TGC with fairly high settings but can't get a steady framerate.
I think it is an epic fail if they don't improve graphic fidelity since Unity has improved so much since the first version.

Quote from one of the Devs (Shaun W) which I posted a similar post earlier last week as to why I thought we were seeing TGC1 graphics at this stage.....

Quote:
Hi folks, some of you have been expressing concerns based on the video that was released earlier this week. I wanted to clarify what was in there to hopefully ease some minds. The majority of the in-game footage that is shown in the video was recorded some time ago and doesn’t include several improvements that will be a part of Closed Beta. There are very view visual improvements and texture upgrades in that footage, it also didn’t include the new character models or new animations. We’ll be showing more of these in the coming weeks. Maximum Games are working to a plan when it comes to releasing content to the community, so we follow that and work closely with them on when to roll out information.

# 11 DivotMaker @ 02/08/17 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
I'd be happy with some swing mechanic tweaks and the ability to actually play with a friend online. Setting up a game online with a buddy was a complete nightmare in TGC and was the reason I quit playing it.
There won't be an online lobby if that is what you are looking for....but they say online play will be better. Not sure what that means.

# 12 Thrash13 @ 02/16/17 03:05 PM
I never played The Golf Club, but with seemingly no signs of life for the EA Golf franchise, I'm pretty sure I'll be shifting my golf gaming attention to The Golf Club 2 when it releases. I'll just have to get over the fact I've always enjoyed real licensed golfers and golf courses. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one!

# 13 scagwi @ 02/19/17 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
I never played The Golf Club, but with seemingly no signs of life for the EA Golf franchise, I'm pretty sure I'll be shifting my golf gaming attention to The Golf Club 2 when it releases. I'll just have to get over the fact I've always enjoyed real licensed golfers and golf courses. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one!

I wish HB would find a way to try their hand at the licensing stuff to see if it gets traction. I echo the frustrations, as I really enjoy licensed/real/accurate experiences beyond just "user who did their best on making a course that's very similar/close".

# 14 kehlis @ 02/19/17 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
I wish HB would find a way to try their hand at the licensing stuff to see if it gets traction. I echo the frustrations, as I really enjoy licensed/real/accurate experiences beyond just "user who did their best on making a course that's very similar/close".
I don't disagree but I would say the creators have done a fantastic job recreating actual courses.

# 15 scagwi @ 02/19/17 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I don't disagree but I would say the creators have done a fantastic job recreating actual courses.

The problem is the courses are only part of the experience of licensing. Would like to see realistic tours on the real courses and real equipment DLC, etc.

At least that's the expectation to get the normal EA type of user.

Also, just talking about the courses - They need to give more and more tools and looks and custom objects, etc. Too many of the "real recreations" still just look to the eye like "the golf club". That's somewhat part of the deal with their type of course creator, but I hope they can expand what it can do and what's attainable.

The Perfect Golf course creator, while vastly more challenging to use, truly allows anything and any look to be created. The surrounding parts often matter just as much as the actual holes/fairways/greens of a given course and layout.

# 16 kehlis @ 02/19/17 06:41 PM
Quote:
The problem is the courses are only part of the experience of licensing. Would like to see realistic tours on the real courses and real equipment DLC, etc.

At least that's the expectation to get the normal EA type of user.
I don't think the normal EA type of user is their target audience. EA's target audience (in large, not a reflection from this site) was fan's who liked to be able to shape the ball mid shot or add spin if they realized they've hit it to far.

Folks who appreciated EA's games for golf and played on realistic settings have embraced TGC for the same reasons.

# 17 scagwi @ 02/19/17 06:46 PM
Quote:
I don't think the normal EA type of user is their target audience. EA's target audience (in large, not a reflection from this site) was fan's who liked to be able to shape the ball mid shot or add spin if they realized they've hit it to far.

Folks who appreciated EA's games for golf and played on realistic settings have embraced TGC for the same reasons.

I don't know if you and I will agree fully here..

I find TGC 1 to be way too simplistic and really lacking long term challenge. The comments about shaping the ball mid flight in EA games, I agree - ridiculous...but I'd also argue the precision and odd abstraction that is the "lofting grid" in TGC 1 is pretty darned "arcade" and cheesy too honestly. It allows some odd stuff that shouldn't be in a golf game that's aiming for simulating the sport.

I hope they remedy that in TGC 2.

# 18 kehlis @ 02/19/17 06:53 PM
Quote:
I don't know if you and I will agree fully here..

I find TGC 1 to be way too simplistic and really lacking long term challenge. The comments about shaping the ball mid flight in EA games, I agree - ridiculous...but I'd also argue the precision and odd abstraction that is the "lofting grid" in TGC 1 is pretty darned "arcade" and cheesy too honestly. It allows some odd stuff that shouldn't be in a golf game that's aiming for simulating the sport.

I hope they remedy that in TGC 2.
We actually do agree. There are many aspects about TGC that I didn't like from a simulation standpoint.

I was more coming from the standpoint that I don't think they are targeting people that have to play a licensed version of Augusta or Pebble Beach. I believe their end goal is to target a simulation golf crowd. The first version missed on some aspects of actual game play and enormously on offline play which was a huge miss that I think they eventually realized.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring with the second iteration, I just don't think their target market is the same as EA's target.

# 19 scagwi @ 02/19/17 06:57 PM
Quote:
I just don't think their target market is the same as EA's target.
Fair enough - No argument.
I do think they probably have their feature roadmap at least somewhat gazing at what they *could* do on the side of existing plans to sway some folks from the EA base now that EA has basically pulled out of the sport completely.

I'd imagine some of that society/club/golfer-creator stuff will help there.

For me I'm not buying it unless I hear great things about the swing. It became boring and routine to just "hit it where you want" all the time in TGC 1. That really needs to be addressed. Hopeful - but hesitant until I see it.

# 20 kehlis @ 02/19/17 07:02 PM
Quote:
Fair enough - No argument.
I do think they probably have their feature roadmap at least somewhat gazing at what they *could* do on the side of existing plans to sway some folks from the EA base now that EA has basically pulled out of the sport completely.

I'd imagine some of that society/club/golfer-creator stuff will help there.

For me I'm not buying it unless I hear great things about the swing. It became boring and routine to just "hit it where you want" all the time in TGC 1. That really needs to be addressed. Hopeful - but hesitant until I see it.
Agreed all around, loved the foundation but haven't played in probably a year. Just excited to see what the next version brings.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.