Home
Preview
NBA 2K12 Preview

NBA 2K is built on a foundation of gameplay and presentation elements that become more refined with each new title. The new additions in NBA 2K12 are sure to be welcomed by the basketball purists. But with a special attention being made to star-player mannerisms and animations, signature style may be stronger than ever.

The first improvement NBA 2K players will notice is the overall polish. Menu colors are vibrant, and the main menu highlights NBA players with in-action still photos. These photos blend realism with the fictional NBA 2K world. Beautifully sculpted in-game player models come to life in pregame introductions. Wade and LeBron might be casually holding a Spalding ball, or Dirk and company might be standing in front of the camera with their mean muggin’ game faces on.

The graphical elements during introductions highlight superstar player models with a sponsored backdrop; the overall feel strikes me as a pay-per-view heavyweight bout, showcasing the world’s best in a tale of the tape. It’s a nice platform to show off the improved player faces and also the considerable detail made to the tattoos. Shading and lighting of the tattoos, coupled with the improved skin tones, were things that caught my attention from the start.

Gameplay Elements

NBA 2K12's gameplay feels more refined. I felt more in control than in the past, partly due to less clunkiness in the animations. Moves were tighter and more crisply executed; this makes it easier to branch from one animation to the next. The dribbling attacks happen in a smaller radius on the court, resulting in more control of your athletes in a given space. This will allow moves in the lane or post to be executed in a more precise fashion without unintentionally dribbling into crowded areas on the floor.

The post-up button has been moved to Y/Triangle, which I am not a fan of so far. It just does not feel practical to use your "shot stick" thumb to press the post-up button before returning back to the right stick. The dual-trigger post-up was inherently natural in my opinion because it allowed for a gamer to hold both triggers to initiate the post-up maneuver. From there, you could continue to hold down one of the triggers and initiate into a variety of moves. On the bright side, drop steps were harder to execute with the improved defensive mechanics that allow gamers to cut off certain angles. I was only able to pull off one drop step in my time with the game.

Beyond that, I was also unable to determine what button the "signature gather" was mapped to now, which tends to be one of my favorite mid-range moves. I was not able to confirm different control schemes, but I’m optimistic last year’s scheme will be an option.

Some other random things I noticed include subtle nuances that have been added for casual dribbles and mannerisms. The game also allows users to add up to 16 plays in a playbook to any particular player on the floor. If Kobe is your guy, he can truly be the focal point now. Another addition I loved was the tweaked in-game coaching strategy mapped to the directional pad. Players can instruct a basic offense to set screens for shooters or to space the floor rather than run specific plays. This allows the game to flow while running a core offensive system on the fly.

NBA’s Greatest

Dr. J steps on the court laced in optical white Star Player high-tops with the bravado of a world-class baller. His history was made, and it is now in the hands of everyone to remake and remix it.

NBA 2K12's Greatest mode is a digital basketball hall of fame featuring playable basketball tales from the greats around every corner. This mode has me beyond excited to play through these classic challenges.

Each era of the NBA is represented dating back to Mr. Logo himself, Jerry West. Animation sets change between eras, shifting from fundamentals of the '60s to the flash and uptempo hoops of the '70s. In my brief time with Ewing and the Knicks, I was able to witness some hard fouls and the ruggedness of the NBA in this era. However, I do not know yet if it was just this game I was playing, or if it was a purposely installed theme in the game. (One can only hope eras will be presented in the game in such a way.)

The legends are true representations, each with his own personal style. (This game mode is most likely where we will see a ton of new animations.) Julius Erving’s body frame appeared and felt unique to his game. His larger than life wingspan, and his maneuverability in the air allowed him to attack the rim at ease.

Bill Russell’s thin frame provided a skill set to rebound and defend over anybody on the court, with considerable touch around the rim. A player from a more Cousy-era has a fundamentally sound dribble game and fundamental shot while rocking uncomfortably tight shorts.

In the old-school Celtics/Lakers game, the Celtics play on old school woodgrain courts with no advertisements in the arena -- just folding tables in place of a scorer’s tables. The commentary had a filter over the voices, authentic to the sounds of the generation.

Final Thoughts

In my short time with NBA 2K12, my excitement level has increased. There seems to have been a focus on distinguishing each player and his skill set, which is a welcomed addition. I hope this focus will lead to more exciting matchups on each end of the floor because it would only enhance the strategies that could be built and executed.

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BRxSKINSx @ 08/29/11 06:00 PM
Is it October 4th yet.....? If i could only sleep until then.....it kills me to read about 2k12, yet i keep doing it over and over......

# 22 DutchMastah7 @ 08/29/11 06:41 PM
What team is Bob Cousy going to be on?

# 23 Control-X @ 08/29/11 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
He said Cousy is in the game
man I dont see Cousy in that 1965 squad. Maybe he means "K.C." (Jones), cos it sounds like Cousy? I could be wrong though

# 24 Control-X @ 08/29/11 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchMastah7
What team is Bob Cousy going to be on?
Cousy played his entire career w/ the Celtics. Maybe you asked what year on the team will he be on?

# 25 Goffs @ 08/29/11 06:52 PM
He's just using Cousy's fundamental game as an example.

# 26 aloncho11 @ 08/29/11 07:20 PM
Back to wingspan please

# 27 domidomdomz @ 08/29/11 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I'll talk about it with more depth, but I feel like the Y button thing is probably just personal preference, doesn't really mess with the functionality to me (except perhaps to enter and exit post post play in an easier fashion? -- I can't remember if you just press Y again to get out of post play). The post-game itself is the part worth talking about rather than the single button to initiate for me. I never really use signature gather, so I didn't even notice it wasn't on Y -- but it would make sense if post-up is there now.
Sir, what if no defender is near your ball handler, then you press the Y button, is it still gonna initiate a post up?

# 28 youvalss @ 08/29/11 07:48 PM
Sounds good. I'd love to hear commentators speak with that filter. Old-school all the way!

# 29 SwagDoc101 @ 08/29/11 07:57 PM
so does that mean the hopstep is absent from the game this year...smh

# 30 blues rocker @ 08/29/11 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagDoc101
so does that mean the hopstep is absent from the game this year...smh
yeah, if they removed the hopstep because of this new post up control, i will not be happy. the hopstep is a move that must be included in any legit basketball game that claims to be a "sim."

# 31 ChaseB @ 08/29/11 08:17 PM
Steve was just using Cousy as an example; I made an edit to make it more clear.

# 32 youvalss @ 08/29/11 08:22 PM
Chase, any thoughts about the hop-step button mystery? (sorry, haven't read all comments here so don't know if you already made it clear)

# 33 Knickerbocker @ 08/29/11 08:35 PM
Well the triangle (ps3) hopstep was catastrophic in 2k11.

The back hopstep created too much separation and the hopstep into the paint was overpowered. I don't think the button needs to be included imo, it's not like the hopstep aint there.

With the shotstick you can make the backstep, the hopstep layup and hopstep dunk, and a lot of players have the hopstep in their signature moves.

I think that is enough and plenty and cannot be abused, since all of those moves work rather well.

# 34 Spanky @ 08/29/11 08:40 PM
I'm assuming there's no alternate button configuration that allows you to use L-trigger instead of Y for post-ups? But can you confirm this?

# 35 Jakeness23 @ 08/29/11 08:42 PM
If they got Dr. J's wingspan... how about those big ole claws attached to his wrists? They were a big part of what made him so unique.

# 36 VDusen04 @ 08/29/11 08:44 PM
I would be surprised if wingspan was included. I took the statement regarding Julius Erving as the author speaking figuratively, such that Erving's height, tendencies, and abilities make him play very Dr. J-like. It'd be nice to be wrong, I just didn't see anything definitive regarding wingspan.

# 37 mrclutch @ 08/29/11 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Control-X
Cousy played his entire career w/ the Celtics. Maybe you asked what year on the team will he be on?
This is not true. Cousy made a brief comeback with the Cincinnati Royals in I think either 69 or 70.

Anybody know who drafted him without looking?
Spoiler

# 38 Da_Czar @ 08/29/11 08:48 PM
Guys wait for the insight to give you the total control scheme. Using the Y button for post up becomes second nature after you use it for awhile and makes sense with the rest of the controls.

Since they didn't say anything to the guys playing the game I assume that means they want to wait until the insight to tell you more about the games controls.

I found the controls to be the best in the series so far in my opinion. Some may not like it but the control offered in a 2k game to me has no equal( IE the best in the 2k series).

The other positive about the button press is that you don't have to hold it like you held the triggers. It also makes for seemless transition from your faceup game to your back to the basket game including spins out of it.

Think of the controls as evolving from last year as opposed to staying static.

# 39 ChaseB @ 08/29/11 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Guys wait for the insight to give you the total control scheme. Using the Y button for post up becomes second nature after you use it for awhile and makes sense with the rest of the controls.

Since they didn't say anything to the guys playing the game I assume that means they want to wait until the insight to tell you more about the games controls.

I found the controls to be the best in the series so far in my opinion. Some may not like it but the control offered in a 2k game to me has no equal( IE the best in the 2k series).

The other positive about the button press is that you don't have to hold it like you held the triggers. It also makes for seemless transition from your faceup game to your back to the basket game including spins out of it.

Think of the controls as evolving from last year as opposed to staying static.
I don't think you had to hold the triggers last year after initiating the post up. Once you were in, you could just hold one trigger or the other.

# 40 ChaseB @ 08/29/11 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Chase, any thoughts about the hop-step button mystery? (sorry, haven't read all comments here so don't know if you already made it clear)
It's pretty unlike 2K to completely remove a mechanic, so I assume it's still in there as another button. Again, I am not a big hopstep/sig gather guy -- try to stick to the sticks whenever possible -- so I'm not sure where it might be or what. All I know is it seems you can post up from further away by pressing Y this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.