Home
Preview
NBA 2K13 Preview

Erick Boenisch, producer for NBA 2K13, recently gave us a hands-off preview of things to come. While we were shown a small sample size, I spotted a few good nuggets.

Some of you may notice, from time to time when player animations quickly transition into other animations, the player sort of looks robotic or maybe even warp into other players or objects. You see this when players go from a basketball move to a celebration, for example. This is referred to as an Ambient Animation. 2K Sports says they have worked very hard on removing those odd animations to make them look more realistic.

While briefly showing off some gameplay, here are a few things I noticed in a game between a user controlled Miami Heat and an AI San Antonio Spurs squad.

The first thing I noticed was better floor spacing and definitely more movement from players without the ball. The crowds looked slightly better as well. I saw a few Dwyane Wade stepbacks, stepback hesitations and stepback jumpers that looked just like him. I also noticed Tony Parker getting into the lane and shooting some floaters.

I saw some quicker dribble moves in general, with what seemed to be no hesitation. It seemed to be more responsive, but it's hard to tell since I wasn't the man behind the sticks.

Saw a brief glimpse of collision between players going to the rim, but it happened so quick, it was hard to gauge if what I saw was definitely there or not. I also noticed some player sliding.

When on the perimeter, I didn't see as much player bumping, as seen in NBA 2K12. I mean, there was bumping, but it wasn't exaggerated bumping. I didn't see a fast break, so I couldn't tell if players filled the lanes any better.

Never saw a big defender on a smaller quicker guard, so I couldn't gauge speed effectiveness. Was hoping Duncan would get caught up on a switch with Wade, but it never happened.

Now, before you go off on the deep end, with the above being said, I will also note a few comments from Sr. Game Designer, Mike Wang, who has already confirmed via Twitter and our NBA 2K forums, as being worked on or fixed, based off of this early footage. Also remember, there are roughly 4 months to go before the game ships Oct. 2.

Quotes from Mike Wang:

• Just a small update... I figured out why Manu blasted through the D in that vid. I fixed it this morning. Rest assured there will be PLENTY of contact in NBA2K13.
  • We've completely reworked the way we handle contact on drives and shots.
  • The up and unders (aka flick flicks) are now interruptible. So if you read it properly you can force the "under" into contact.
  • I've personally hated isomotion for years. Fixing it has been my primary objective for 13.

Kotaku's recent article mentions the team worked their butts off on the passing game, which in my opinion, is more great news.

The NBA 2K13 team is not looking to reinvent the wheel with controls, but they want to simplify the controls so new users aren't overwhelmed with advanced controls. They also don't want to take away anything from the advanced users.

As most of you already know, by pre-ordering NBA 2K13, you are offered the free downloadable NBA All-Star content package presented by Sprite. In this free DLC, users can pit the NBA’s current superstars against classic players in both the Foot Locker Three Point Shootout and Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. Rosters for both the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge and the 2013 NBA All-Star Game in Houston will feature the 2012 All-Stars, with dynamic updates to the 2013 rosters once the participants are announced.

The blacktop mode was said to be too complex and with the way 2K Sports wanted to simplify controls, it seems they wanted to go that direction with a guitar hero-esque look and feel. As the player gets close to the rim and gathers himself, the "dunk hero" scroll pops up (think guitar hero; this look will change, but overall have the same simplistic approach) and the player goes into slo-mo as you perform your button presses. Simple dunks are slow and methodical button presses, while more difficult dunks will be much faster and include right and left analog stick movements. Timing everything perfectly will obviously result in a higher score.

There are over 100 dunks in the current build with plans on having over 150 dunks in the final release. Prop dunks, teammate dunks along with a few others are included. All of the dunks that were shown to us were realistic, nothing over the top. Another item to note, this is not a stand alone mode. It is integrated into Association, My Player and Season modes, if you have the content enabled. So for example, if you are selected in My Player for an event, you will be in the All-Star Weekend festivities. At this time, the DLC will only be available for 360 and PS3 users, it seems there are no plans, as of right now, to add this content for PC users.

Be on the lookout for more info coming down the road, as this is just a primer of things to come. I can't really state much else about gameplay on such a short sample size. I'll ask if this is available in online association and leagues and report back. If you have any additional questions about the All-Star Weekend DLC, post them here.

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 coop15 @ 06/07/12 07:13 PM
I want be sold in to they confirm crew mode and my player pick up mode.

# 22 Norris_Cole @ 06/07/12 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetoman
Ok so I guessing the big thing for 2K this year will be DLC for the game, since I am guessing without the DLC ASW package I wont be able to play it My Player or Association....
They better not remove the current allstar game that 2k12 my player and association mode have.

# 23 LD2k @ 06/07/12 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris_Cole
They better not remove the current allstar game that 2k12 my player and association mode have.
From the Kotaku article:
Quote:
And if you don't preorder the game, your play-now and career modes will still have an All-Star game, it'll just use the previous year's venue and uniforms (in this case, Orlando's) until the All-Star game is actually played and 2K gets permission to patch in the new skins.

# 24 Norris_Cole @ 06/07/12 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
From the Kotaku article:
Good news then.

# 25 Tyrant8RDFL @ 06/07/12 09:39 PM
I may be in the minority here , but I feel 2K basketball is going in the wrong direction. They are trying to hard to always change something. I also had 2k12 and barely played it. I put in way more time with 2k11. What I witnessed in the video I probably will be passing on 2k13. Im not impressed.

# 26 RUFFNREADY @ 06/07/12 09:53 PM
If Mike Wang changes up the control scheme to NBA LIVE scheme, i will never go back to EA! nuff said. I like 2K and what they provide, but still trying to get used to the iso motion and its already year 2 going onto 3.

cheers

# 27 BRxSKINSx @ 06/07/12 10:24 PM
Having ASW in My Player mode is a plus... Now if they give it to us in OA I'll probably have a heart attack.... BUT I'm not sold just yet.... They need to bring back crew.... Who am I kidding.... I was buying 2k anyways...

# 28 DGMikeBarker @ 06/07/12 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFNREADY
If Mike Wang changes up the control scheme to NBA LIVE scheme, i will never go back to EA! nuff said. I like 2K and what they provide, but still trying to get used to the iso motion and its already year 2 going onto 3.

cheers
I'm with you but I don't it. 2k said they like have movement solely on with the left hand and passing/shooting solely on the right.

# 29 Vni @ 06/07/12 11:17 PM
What's wrong with the isomotion?

I really don't see it.

# 30 BigRebelD @ 06/07/12 11:30 PM
I hope they tone down the bump animations while you are off the ball. I can't stand that!

# 31 Eman5805 @ 06/07/12 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang
Off ball contact is normal in the NBA
But it doesn't cause players to completely stop in place. I mean, have you actually tried running plays in My Player and not be a PG? Try to follow the play chart that calls you to run off a specific screen in the post...won't be able to do it without completely disregarding the arrows, I promise you. Same goes for just seeing a blasted screen somewhere. Have to avoid your defender like the plague. And being a post player and want to move to the other side of the paint to receive a pass? Get ready to get stymied again and again and again.

I don't even want the bumping to be removed...just let us adjust and move around the bumping. The game takes control completely out of your hands for those damn bumps.

# 32 jersez @ 06/08/12 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
All-Star Weekend will be integrated in Association?
Will be reserved.
I couldn't pick one because there are too many emotions going through my head, when I saw this. Why? Just Why?

# 33 LiveAllDaWay @ 06/08/12 01:03 AM
So what about for the ppl that don't pre-order NBA 2k13 would they styll have All-Star Package?

# 34 truintellectplaya @ 06/08/12 04:12 AM
Cool, I really don't pay much attention to this stuff because I am getting it anyway. It is the only game I trust being a 360 guy

# 35 mrmass413 @ 06/08/12 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I may be in the minority here , but I feel 2K basketball is going in the wrong direction. They are trying to hard to always change something. I also had 2k12 and barely played it. I put in way more time with 2k11. What I witnessed in the video I probably will be passing on 2k13. Im not impressed.
The video really? You relize its June?

# 36 pgrell @ 06/08/12 09:06 AM
i hope they implement pressure passing that would help and better help d schemes westbrooks and d.roses of the league got in the paint too easy on 2k12 wit minimal resistance

# 37 Jmb4life @ 06/08/12 09:16 AM
Man, as far as isomotion goes, I think they should go back to the 2K11 system. It gave us so much more control. I miss being able to hit a dub cross out of a size up. Now when I size up, every move that happens after is something completely random; usually a bogus spin move or the ugly repetitive behind the back. And both always lead to me getting bump thus making the move pointless. I miss the 2K11 system. Why do game developers always think they have to change something that isn't broken every year? Just leave that aspect of the game alone and improve OTHER areas...passing, speed differential, etc.

# 38 Shmaks @ 06/08/12 09:48 AM
I hope 2K finally will enable graphic shaders (lighting, shadows on jerseys etc) in PC version

# 39 bumpyface @ 06/08/12 10:36 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

# 40 Playboy™ @ 06/08/12 11:41 AM
so does this mean if we dont preorder do we still get the all star weekend or do we have to pay seperate for this ?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.