Home
Preview
NBA 2K13 Preview

Erick Boenisch, producer for NBA 2K13, recently gave us a hands-off preview of things to come. While we were shown a small sample size, I spotted a few good nuggets.

Some of you may notice, from time to time when player animations quickly transition into other animations, the player sort of looks robotic or maybe even warp into other players or objects. You see this when players go from a basketball move to a celebration, for example. This is referred to as an Ambient Animation. 2K Sports says they have worked very hard on removing those odd animations to make them look more realistic.

While briefly showing off some gameplay, here are a few things I noticed in a game between a user controlled Miami Heat and an AI San Antonio Spurs squad.

The first thing I noticed was better floor spacing and definitely more movement from players without the ball. The crowds looked slightly better as well. I saw a few Dwyane Wade stepbacks, stepback hesitations and stepback jumpers that looked just like him. I also noticed Tony Parker getting into the lane and shooting some floaters.

I saw some quicker dribble moves in general, with what seemed to be no hesitation. It seemed to be more responsive, but it's hard to tell since I wasn't the man behind the sticks.

Saw a brief glimpse of collision between players going to the rim, but it happened so quick, it was hard to gauge if what I saw was definitely there or not. I also noticed some player sliding.

When on the perimeter, I didn't see as much player bumping, as seen in NBA 2K12. I mean, there was bumping, but it wasn't exaggerated bumping. I didn't see a fast break, so I couldn't tell if players filled the lanes any better.

Never saw a big defender on a smaller quicker guard, so I couldn't gauge speed effectiveness. Was hoping Duncan would get caught up on a switch with Wade, but it never happened.

Now, before you go off on the deep end, with the above being said, I will also note a few comments from Sr. Game Designer, Mike Wang, who has already confirmed via Twitter and our NBA 2K forums, as being worked on or fixed, based off of this early footage. Also remember, there are roughly 4 months to go before the game ships Oct. 2.

Quotes from Mike Wang:

• Just a small update... I figured out why Manu blasted through the D in that vid. I fixed it this morning. Rest assured there will be PLENTY of contact in NBA2K13.
  • We've completely reworked the way we handle contact on drives and shots.
  • The up and unders (aka flick flicks) are now interruptible. So if you read it properly you can force the "under" into contact.
  • I've personally hated isomotion for years. Fixing it has been my primary objective for 13.

Kotaku's recent article mentions the team worked their butts off on the passing game, which in my opinion, is more great news.

The NBA 2K13 team is not looking to reinvent the wheel with controls, but they want to simplify the controls so new users aren't overwhelmed with advanced controls. They also don't want to take away anything from the advanced users.

As most of you already know, by pre-ordering NBA 2K13, you are offered the free downloadable NBA All-Star content package presented by Sprite. In this free DLC, users can pit the NBA’s current superstars against classic players in both the Foot Locker Three Point Shootout and Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. Rosters for both the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge and the 2013 NBA All-Star Game in Houston will feature the 2012 All-Stars, with dynamic updates to the 2013 rosters once the participants are announced.

The blacktop mode was said to be too complex and with the way 2K Sports wanted to simplify controls, it seems they wanted to go that direction with a guitar hero-esque look and feel. As the player gets close to the rim and gathers himself, the "dunk hero" scroll pops up (think guitar hero; this look will change, but overall have the same simplistic approach) and the player goes into slo-mo as you perform your button presses. Simple dunks are slow and methodical button presses, while more difficult dunks will be much faster and include right and left analog stick movements. Timing everything perfectly will obviously result in a higher score.

There are over 100 dunks in the current build with plans on having over 150 dunks in the final release. Prop dunks, teammate dunks along with a few others are included. All of the dunks that were shown to us were realistic, nothing over the top. Another item to note, this is not a stand alone mode. It is integrated into Association, My Player and Season modes, if you have the content enabled. So for example, if you are selected in My Player for an event, you will be in the All-Star Weekend festivities. At this time, the DLC will only be available for 360 and PS3 users, it seems there are no plans, as of right now, to add this content for PC users.

Be on the lookout for more info coming down the road, as this is just a primer of things to come. I can't really state much else about gameplay on such a short sample size. I'll ask if this is available in online association and leagues and report back. If you have any additional questions about the All-Star Weekend DLC, post them here.

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 keshunleon @ 06/08/12 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang
Hope they dont over simplify the controls to much ! they should just have a "rookie and pro" control settings with pro having a lot more moves available
Simply fix; allow us to choose basic or advance controls as a option.

# 42 hashbrownx24 @ 06/08/12 06:55 PM
Will it also Be implemented into ONLINE association? its a legit question..

# 43 simbayless @ 06/08/12 09:47 PM
I really hated that every single defender stick to u like glue no matter what their def ratings are and plz make the momentum jumpshots like 2k11 fix kfix the black mamba lighting bolt fast jumper. 2k12 was more of a (college) mid range game all the lane was brick wall last year it was ugly getting inside

# 44 patco1080 @ 06/08/12 10:35 PM
2k13 took a major hit this year when it came to driving the lane and finishing with a dunk or layup. Even the superstars of the league couldn't drive the lane in 2k12. That was real frustrating for me, in 2k12. 2k needs to go back to its roots when the isomotion really worked. If a good player had good ball handling skills then it was hard to keep him from driving the lane. Thats how it was in previous 2k games. The defense was so amped up in 2k12 to a point where the computer knew your every move. That was very annoying to me. What is basketball without a good array of moves that can help you get to the basket. Please 2k, please, please, please fix this problem so it doesn't hinder the gameplay in 2k13. And one last thing the computer shouldn't be able to make contested shots all game neither. You could play good defense and not be rewarded with a stop. Instead you were rewarded with taking the ball out after the computer just knocked down 10 straight jumpers with hands down their throat. Peace out. Good luck to 2k13. I hope it plays more like 2k11. 2k11 was the best b game ever made.

# 45 LeBronJames6 @ 06/09/12 10:44 AM
A few changes and comments:
Let us be be able change and choose what jerseys we want to use in online and my player modes
-keep all the same selection of teams in online classic mode, but add more. Beveruteam should have a classic roster. And try and capture those exciting teams like, the 99 Knicks with Houston and spree, the heat team with Alonzo and Timmy, Reggie and the pacers, milwakee's big 3 with ray Allan, glen Robinson and Sam cassell. You get the drift.
-the CPU in my player mode is ridiculous! They do not miss open shots. Every time I try and help out on d, they hit the open man and bang down a 3...9/10 times they hit it. And my CPU d doesn't close out on the open shooter fast enough. I made it to the finals recently, I'm in my 5th season, my player is rated a 99. We played OKC. So mostly I gaurded James harden and KD, they shot the lights out!! And it's only on all-star, and I'm a good player at 2k. It's too annoying. They can't be making open 3's all the time...just not realistic.
-too much colliding with defender in my player. On offense, when I am trying to move without the ball, I collide so much with my defender that sometimes we kill most of the clock before we can run our play.
-the signature shots were more accurate in 2k11. I don't think you are doing a good enough job on catering the top scores' signature jump shot. Need more attention here.

However, in conclusion, I will continue to buy this game every year. This is my favorite game of all time! Thank you to the people at 2k for doing such great work! Keep it up. If you can make the necessary changes and adjustments, this game will sky rocket once again. Thanks for reading.

# 46 jecox33 @ 06/09/12 06:32 PM
PLEASE 2k, bring back CREW!!! It was one of the most fun modes that I had ever played, minus the cheaters who modded their players and were 7'0 tall and could do anything! There isn't really a point in having a MY PLAYER game mode if you can't use what you've worked on, playing by yourself if absolutely no fun.

# 47 patco1080 @ 06/09/12 10:31 PM
I would like to direct this comment to Mr. Mike Wang. Mr. Mike Wang who is one the games top producers and hands on developer with 2k basketball has recently stated he has hated the isomotion for years. For Mike Wang to make a statement like that just reassured me how clueless this guy is when it comes to basketball games. The isomotion in previous 2k games has been marvelous to say the least. The isomotion moves actually work in previous 2k games. But in 2k12, the isomotion moves were useless. Thanks to Mike Wang who says he hates the isomotion so he tries his best to destroy. Because its certainly not getting any better when you look at 2k12.

# 48 patco1080 @ 06/09/12 10:38 PM
Dear Mike Wang. For players to have contact out on the perimeter every single time is ridiculous to me. When you say Manu blasted through the defense in the vid. You have no clue as to what your talking about. And i say that with the utmost respect Mr. Wang. Manu Ginobli is a very player when handling the ball. Its hard for defenses to keep him out of the lane. Manu can get in lane almost every time he drives. Because he is a good slasher. Mr. Mke Wang you have to make the game fun when it comes to isomotion moves for players who can do perform isomotion. Please dont make it hard for good ball handlers to drive the lane. Thats what basketball is all about.

# 49 patco1080 @ 06/09/12 10:48 PM
Im screaming to my lungs fall out people. Im not the only one saying this about the problems with 2k12. The isomotion moves were horrible. Bring back that gameplay we saw in NBA 2k11. In 2k12, the defense sticks to you like glue. And its almost impossible for you to drive the lane without making contact with the defender. The cpu makes every shot they put up, even contested jumpshots are made by the cpu. 2k12 was just disappointing to me. The game took a major hit this year. Thanks development team for making my favorite my most unfavorite game. Thanks a lot 2k. I appreciate that.

# 50 patco1080 @ 06/09/12 10:54 PM
I dont know what to expect anymore. Just when you think 2k basketball can do no wrong. They go and screw up the perfect basketball game. 2k11 was the perfect basketball game.

# 51 almostbobsaget @ 06/09/12 11:36 PM
Hi friend. There is an edit feature to add more to an individual post. You're going to get on people's bad sides very quickly if you flood threads with post after post after post.

Just sayin'.

# 52 ZoneBlitz @ 06/10/12 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
thanks for the update. about what I expected. Hope they can tone down the sliding....drove me absolutely nuts in 2k12. same with the fast breaks. nothing like see perkins chase down (and catch) Drose to ruin a game.

2k13 is going to be solid....looking forward to it.
For the life of me I just don't understand why it seems so hard for 2k to realize their fast breaks are broken. For years now CPU big men can chase down the fastest point guards, or they force you into animations to slow you down, or make you pass the ball to the wrong person.

# 53 VDusen04 @ 06/10/12 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
For the life of me I just don't understand why it seems so hard for 2k to realize their fast breaks are broken. For years now CPU big men can chase down the fastest point guards, or they force you into animations to slow you down, or make you pass the ball to the wrong person.
I imagine it having to do with 2K being unable to find a way to account for speed in the open floor without guards being able to simply sprint past everyone all the time in transition. From a logical standpoint, I view catch-up speed as a fail safe, preventing a wide-open, fast break layup-fest any time a user is able to pick up a full head of steam with a point guard.

# 54 jersez @ 06/10/12 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
"I've personally hated isomotion for years." - Ya don't say. I've ALWAYS hated them but the rest of the game is so good that I just tolerate them.

Mike, my buva, bring over what u did with Live 10's controls, PLEASE, if u can!! GIVE US FREE!! I mean, give us an option

# 55 Moonwalker26 @ 06/10/12 01:59 PM
@Beluba I was wondering if you guys can make jump shots more versatile. Most all of the Jumpers in 2k12 were so straight up and had no leg movement. I would be nice to have mare faders and leaners for basic jump shot movements.

# 56 LiL_MiK3Y @ 06/10/12 03:44 PM
I need Crew and the Original League . All I need .

# 57 kydice @ 06/11/12 08:28 AM
Can the pick defense work in 2k13...the hard and soft hedge didn't work neither did the go over or under the pick. The double team worked sometimes. This a great defensive strategy to people who use pick and roll offense.

# 58 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/11/12 09:39 AM
Until there is confirmation of online leagues/association being fixed, I am passing this year.

# 59 BezO @ 06/11/12 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I imagine it having to do with 2K being unable to find a way to account for speed in the open floor without guards being able to simply sprint past everyone all the time in transition. From a logical standpoint, I view catch-up speed as a fail safe, preventing a wide-open, fast break layup-fest any time a user is able to pick up a full head of steam with a point guard.
PGs try to do that in real life. Defenses either get back or they don't. I don't see how the game would turn into a break fest if everyone could run up to their actual speeds.

# 60 DBMcGee3 @ 06/11/12 09:53 AM
To me, driving the rim was near perfect in Live 10. The AI help defense was really good, nice collisions in the lane, and contact shot %s always seemed realistic to me. More importantly, the dribble controls are just much more fun and responsive in Live. I have seen youtube vids of guys breaking people off in 2k, so I know it can be done, but it seems like they have to do like 10 seconds of setup moves to pull it off.

For me, it sucks having the same stick control your direction and dribble moves. If I screw up a spin move in Live, I don't have to worry about my guy stumbling into a back court violation, stepping out of bounds, etc. It also makes quick changes in direction easier in my opinion.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.