Home
OS Scores Explained Super Mega Baseball Overview (PS4)
Pros
Simply a fun game of baseball; Outstanding pitching and hitting interface; Graphics are vibrant and captivating.
Cons
Only four total stadiums; Lacks game modes; No true multiplayer.
Bottom Line
A good arcade baseball title, one of the best of its kind in several years. Worth a look if you like fast-paced baseball action.
out of 10
Super Mega Baseball REVIEW

Super Mega Baseball Review (PS4)

If you’re an older sports gamer, than you probably have fond memories of past baseball games such as Ken Griffey Jr.’s Winning Run, R.B.I Baseball (Classic version) and Baseball Stars. What do all of these games have in common? Well, that would be a simple, engaging, and fun approach to America’s past time. While games like this are a rarity these days, the ambitious developer, Metalhead, aims to bring a small piece of that era back, with Super Mega Baseball. Did they succeed?

GAMEPLAY

As with any sports game the gameplay is incredibly important, even for the an arcade game such as Super Mega Baseball (SMB). If you’re wondering if the gameplay will make you feel the need to blow in the cartridge to make it work again, the answer is yes. In almost every way possible, Super Mega Baseball draws an inspiration from all of the titles mentioned before, and more. The gameplay offers a simple approach, but yet has a certain depth to the strategy required to be successful on the harder levels.

Batting

The hitting interface is once again, you guessed it, simple in its approach. It offers the basic hit X, Square, or O for normal, power, or bunt. If one is inclined to use the analog stick for the same purposes, Metalhead has you covered. Although the approach is simplistic in nature, it does require the user to have a keen eye, and understand the strike zone. If you try and pull an outside pitch, chances are you’re going to hit a weak ground ball to short or third, or throw a lazy popup in the air to the infield. Although an arcade game by nature, the physics that SMB brings to the table is a baseball simulation at its core, and requires a sim style approach to match, unless of course you’re playing on the lower difficulties.

Pitching

As much as we loved the hitting in this game, the pitching interface is one of the finest we have ever been privy to using. If you have ever played the Ken Griffey or Power Pro series, then you will feel right at home. Once you select your pitch, you are then required to place a location reticule in your desired location. After you have done that, a sort of gravitational icon appears and it is incumbent upon you to place that icon as close to the center of your location reticule to achieve full pitch effectiveness. While it may sound a little over the top, trust us when we say it is outstanding, and we hope other baseball titles will make this an option moving forward.

Fielding

The fielding in SMB is similar to the pitching in the fact that once the ball is place, your player will gravitate towards the general direction of where the ball will be landing. Think of it as semi-assisted fielding, but it does give the user the option to take full control to run faster, dive or jump, and throw the ball to the location of choice. The first time you make a diving grab at short, or rob a would-be homerun, it will feel like a well earned accomplishment. The fielding may not be as fun or intuitive as the hitting or pitching, but that doesn’t mean it’s boring, because it’s not.

MODES

This is an area that SMB struggles a bit, as it only offers up two modes: Season and Exhibition. While season mode does give the user the option to choose a season length, difficulty, number of innings, it is simply one season and you’re done. With that said, SMB does offer deep stat tracking, which is a huge plus, and the user can customize each team member, both in looks and namesake, but that’s as deep as the well runs. The stat tracking and customization options are a very nice inclusion (ye,s we are looking at you R.B.I Baseball 14) but for some that are hoping for a career, multiple-season or online league modes, you might be a bit disappointed. We would also be remiss if we didn’t mention that while there is no true online multiplayer in SMB, it does offer couch co-op seasons and exhibition.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Although Super Mega Baseball may not be as deep a game as some are accustomed to, it absolutely shines in the gameplay department. It’s simply an arcade baseball game with simulation roots, that will have one wanting to play it again the minute you stop playing it. If you’re looking for a fun baseball game that you can finish in about 20 minutes to get you through the doldrums of winter, Super Mega Baseball should be perfect for you.

Learning Curve – Not a difficult game, but will require some time to master the pitch and hitting interface.

Control Scheme – Simple and responsive

Visuals – Fun, cartoonish, and over the top – which is perfect for this game

Audio – Timely and accurate, and we love the quirky umpire voice.

Replay Value – Short on modes, and true MP could have added some much needed depth.

Score 7.0 (Good)

Super Mega Baseball Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Earl1963 @ 12/19/14 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort22
Haven't got the game yet, has anyone seen controls listed anywhere?

Anyone playing on ps3? Does it look close to the ps4 version everyone is streaming?
I tested both versions out. The PS4 version looks a bit sharper since its in 1080p vs 720p, resulting in smoother textures. Both play exactly the same.

Sent using a telephone

# 82 LingeringRegime @ 12/19/14 12:16 PM
Man I love how this game will punish you if you rage quit. If you do, you will lose 1-0.

I just experienced this haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 83 TheRosterMaster @ 12/20/14 02:01 PM
this game is amazing!!! 10/10

# 84 brent3419 @ 12/20/14 08:18 PM
played a 15 inning marathon vs the crocodons who were unbeaten in my division! their ace was slinging some nasty heat and lasted for 10 innings! i had exhausted all my rps and had one bench player left. my bench lf came out and his stats were jacked as all hell because he was in the zone, knocked a xtra base hit and i took a gamble to send my runner home and it payed off and we won 3-2. im the only loss on their record so far

Sent from the landmass between new orleans and mobile on Tapatalk

# 85 LingeringRegime @ 12/20/14 09:23 PM
I hope Metalhead makes a football game.

# 86 opd897 @ 12/20/14 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
I hope Metalhead makes a football game.
I came to this thread to post the very same thing! A football game with this style, part arcade and part sim. Would be great!

Just completed a medium season with the Overdogs. Won the championship with an ego at 50. Admittedly, the games were getting easier as I went along. I did not see any way to continue to another season, didn't really matter as I was going to change teams anyway. Went with the worst team from my first season, the Moose and going with a long season. Upped my ego to 62 lost my 1st game 4-3 to the Buzzards.

# 87 Shaffer26 @ 12/21/14 11:30 AM
After looking at this board and listening to the latest episode of the press row podcast, I am itching to buy this game, but my fear is that this will have me "baseballed out" by the time MLB The Show comes out.

I get that they are totally different, but I want to enjoy The Show as much as possible.

# 88 oakevin @ 12/21/14 03:21 PM
I really want to get this game but I'm waiting for them to patch the walks issue.

# 89 nemesis04 @ 12/21/14 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakevin
I really want to get this game but I'm waiting for them to patch the walks issue.
I would not let that hold you up from getting the game now. I am sure it will get addressed.

# 90 CMH @ 12/21/14 07:56 PM
Love. This. Game. Who needs the show?

No seriously. I want more simple looking sports games with true gameplay mechanics and physics. This game has that.

sent from my mobile device

# 91 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/21/14 08:26 PM
Am I the only one who finds themselves swearing while playing this? I started a season with the Platypi and this team is going to be the death of me lol. We have to scratch and claw for runs, not much power on the team. A ton of fun, though. This game is awesome.

# 92 bcruise @ 12/21/14 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I would not let that hold you up from getting the game now. I am sure it will get addressed.
Personally I'm happy that an arcade-styled baseball game even HAS walks. I honestly can't think of a single one where I've been able to draw them, including Power Pros.

I don't have a good enough eye to be able to lay off close pitches anyway, so it kind of balances out as long as the pitch speed is high enough to put that doubt in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

# 93 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/21/14 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakevin
What's the walk issue?

# 94 bcruise @ 12/21/14 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
What's the walk issue?
Search posts by jyoung, he's been the one posting his experiences with it. I'd link it myself but I'm at work.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

# 95 CMH @ 12/21/14 10:40 PM
I think all they need to do is improve the pitcher fatigue. Starters are pulled too early and two relievers with less fatigue are forced to throw 4 innings.

It leads to situatuons where you score 9 runs in the ninth because the opposing pitcher is tossing meatballs out there but the cpu refuses to use their closer (obvious coding is obvious) or a starter (obviously).

With only two middle relievers, guys should be able to go deeper.

Consider that every pitcher can throw every pitch. So really what should separate starter from reliever to closer is quality of those pitches.

I'm not sure how else this is resolved without a bump in endurance across the board.

sent from my mobile device

# 96 slthree @ 12/21/14 11:55 PM
I may not have played enough to see any walk issues.

I've played 7 full 5 inning exhibition games and 3 full 9 inning season games and haven't seen anything questionable.

# 97 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/22/14 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
I may not have played enough to see any walk issues.

I've played 7 full 5 inning exhibition games and 3 full 9 inning season games and haven't seen anything questionable.
I haven't either, but I wasn't really looking for any issues. I'll keep an eye out for it. Jyoung seems to be really good in pretty much every game, so his results might not be the norm lol.

# 98 Earl1963 @ 12/22/14 09:56 AM
This is by far the most fun I have had with any baseball game.

Sent using a telephone

# 99 Blzer @ 12/22/14 12:23 PM
This game certainly looks impressive. They seriously made a mistake not making this for X1, 360, and Vita though.

I'm willing to bite the bullet with this, but does anybody feel this won't have a sale/be a free game any time soon? I mean obviously it just released so probably not, but you know.

I wish this released last December, would have made for such an easier purchase haha. What's especially funny is I'm making this post now, and I just know that in five minutes I'll be buying this anyway. Simply can't pass this up. If anything, this is a good test for something like Remote Play in a baseball game, even though the pitch speeds and such are different. Maybe this will actually be playable Remote Play baseball compared to The Show.

Aw hell, count me in!

EDIT: Yep, proud new daddy.

# 100 Knight165 @ 12/22/14 01:25 PM
I've been trying....I just can't get into this game.
I don't know what it is.
I'll keep trying though as the idea of it is great to me.

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.