PDA

View Full Version : My Oakland Raiders looking great in preseason.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jbmagic
08-26-2006, 01:16 PM
My Oakland Raiders looking great in preseason.

The offensive line is looking great and giving QB brooks time to do his thing.

The defense is playing well.

I hope they can continue this in the regular season.

Riggins44
08-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Hmmm, I'm going to predict a 6-10 season for your Aaron Brooks led Raiders. But isn't that 2 games better than last year?

st.cronin
08-26-2006, 01:22 PM
jbmagic = AlDavis?

bhlloy
08-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Eh... they have looked good but Brooks is still going to make horrible decisions that will cost the team at least 2-3 wins and Lamont Jordan still isn't an elite back. I see the Raiders at 8-8 but they could well win a couple more and sneak a wildcard.

On a related note - Kirk Morrison looks like the next great Raiders linebacker. He's been dominant in the running game and made a couple of great plays in the passing game. He's going to be a good one.

Joe
08-26-2006, 01:26 PM
they are going with Aaron Brooks as their starting QB?

jbmagic
08-26-2006, 01:27 PM
they are going with Aaron Brooks as their starting QB?

Yes. Art Shell already said so.

bhlloy
08-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Walter has lnot looked like an NFL quarterback... at least Brooks has experience. Personally, I'd give Tuiasasopo another look - he's always been unlucky with injuries and I'm not sure he'd be much worse than the other 2 options.

Glengoyne
08-26-2006, 01:32 PM
The "Pre" at the beginning of Preseason is very meaningful. I'm a fan, and I'd say it is way too soon to prognosticate greatness.

As for Aaron Brooks. Randy Moss made Culpepper look great, so maybe Brooks has enough talent receive the "Moss Boost".

Raiders Army
08-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I think that in all aspects of the game the Raiders will improve...their greatest gain will be in defense this year, but they also will improve in special teams and offense. Despite all of that, the AFC West is pretty tough and I think they'll go 8-8.

jbmagic
08-26-2006, 04:22 PM
I see them going 10-6

SnDvls
08-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Walter will be the starter by the end of the year.

jbmagic
08-26-2006, 04:29 PM

If brooks get the protection from the offensive line than I see Brooks doing very well and playing the whole season.

I only see Walter in there if the Raiders are out of the playoff or If Brooks gets hurt.

Bad-example
08-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I see them going 10-6

I see you needing new glasses.

jbmagic
08-26-2006, 04:35 PM
I see you needing new glasses.

They will play all season with Art Shell the coach there.

Everyone there respect him a lot. They will not quit

Joe
08-26-2006, 04:47 PM
They will play all season with Art Shell the coach there.

Everyone there respect him a lot. They will not quit

except for Moss

Pumpy Tudors
08-26-2006, 05:01 PM
An Aaron Brooks-led team going 10-6 in a division that's got three very strong teams in it. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tigercat
08-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Aaron Brooks has the physical and mental ability to be a pro bowl QB. I don't think he will be able to fight past his own laid back tendencies to ever realize that potential, however. He's a good guy, hes just not enough of a fighter to improve himself play by play second by second like the best QBs do.

Phoenix
08-26-2006, 05:41 PM
They will struggle w/ Aaron Brooks and pay the price for disrespecting Kerry Collins.

Pumpy Tudors
08-26-2006, 05:47 PM
They will struggle w/ Aaron Brooks
OK, I'm with you on this part.

and pay the price for disrespecting Kerry Collins.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

AgustusM
08-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I am not a Raiders fan and I have only seen about a half (the half they played the Niners) but I must say the most impressive thing I have seen from the Raiders this pre-season is the low amount of points they are allowing in every game.

yes, it is only pre-season and starters aren't playing and everyone is running vanilla stuff - but still only allowing 8 points a game at any level of football is damn good, you get defense like that and the Raiders could be a very surprising team.

yabanci
08-26-2006, 06:39 PM
they have looked great the last couple of games, but I don't see them doing more than 8-8.

I disagree with the person who said Walter doesn't look like an NFL quarterback. He's looked great every chance he's had (grated that's only been preseason the last two years and he did look shaky against Minnesota). The main worry is he was injured during his senior year, injured all last season, and sat out last night's game with a minor injury.

Although I don't see them going to the playoffs this year, I think the future is bright. They've got a lot of quality young players on defense:

DE Burgess 28
DT Kelly 25
DT Sapp 34
DE Brayton 26

OLB Howard 23
MLB Morrison 24
OLB Williams 26

CB Asomugha 25
FS Schweigert 25
SS Huff 23
CB Washington 23

Other than Sapp,they are all day one picks going into their prime over the next few years. And the offensive line is the same way with guys like Gallery, Grove, Langston Walker, and Paul McQuistan.

Everything might fall apart, but there's also a chance that they could be very good over the next few years. At the very least I think they are going in the right direction by building a young defense and offensive line from within instead of relying on too many veteran castoffs as they've been prone to do over the years.

Raiders Army
08-26-2006, 10:20 PM
An Aaron Brooks-led team going 10-6 in a division that's got three very strong teams in it. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
For real, I'd say the Broncos are a very strong team. The Chiefs are a question mark in my mind and they could go either way this year under Herm Edwards. Al Saunders went to Washington, so we'll see what happens with Trent Green. If Larry Johnson stays healthy and their D is good I can see them being a strong team...but they're still a question mark in my mind.

The Chargers, on the other hand, are unproven with Philip Rivers at the helm. True they have Tomlinson and Gates, but Rivers touches the ball all of the offensive snaps. I think they're a huge question mark.

So, my best hope is that the Raiders go 2nd in the division this year. I think it's certainly possible...but not probable.

Rizon
08-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Hmmm, I'm going to predict a 6-10 season for your Aaron Brooks led Raiders. But isn't that 2 games better than last year?

You really think they'll do that well? I'm hoping they fall into the fiery pits of hell, or go back to Los Angeles and polute another city with their shitfest "play".

TroyF
08-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Lets see, the Raiders. Lets predict what they'll do.

They'll play a couple of strong games early in the season. Maybe beat the Chargers (who will be just fine under Rivers BTW). They'll be 2-2 or 1-3 and people will start calling them the best damned 2-2 team in the NFL and predict a division championship.

Then the wheels will fall off and the team will go to hell. Every year. Every single year.

EagleFan
08-26-2006, 11:59 PM
I see them going 10-6

Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

Mo.Raider
08-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Then the wheels will fall off and the team will go to hell. Every year. Every single year.

Every year? They have the best winning percentage in pro football history.

Every year there is an unexpected team that rises up and exceeds expectations. I think this is the year of the Raider. Art Shell gets coach of the year, and the Raiders go 10-6 and then deep into the playoffs. I was cautiously optimistic earlier at 8-8, but the Raiders have had an "old school" tough camp. Art is also instilling in them the Raider pride that has definitly been lacking in recent years.

I also think the Raiders have added so much speed, especially on defense, that the AFC west will find them a little nasty to deal with. With Art and Co. finally making some of these guys live up to their potential, I see an exciting Raider revival on the horizon.

jbmagic
08-27-2006, 04:19 AM
Lets see, the Raiders. Lets predict what they'll do.

They'll play a couple of strong games early in the season. Maybe beat the Chargers (who will be just fine under Rivers BTW). They'll be 2-2 or 1-3 and people will start calling them the best damned 2-2 team in the NFL and predict a division championship.

They had some good years when Art Shell was the coach before.

TroyF
08-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Every year? They have the best winning percentage in pro football history.

Every year there is an unexpected team that rises up and exceeds expectations. I think this is the year of the Raider. Art Shell gets coach of the year, and the Raiders go 10-6 and then deep into the playoffs. I was cautiously optimistic earlier at 8-8, but the Raiders have had an "old school" tough camp. Art is also instilling in them the Raider pride that has definitly been lacking in recent years.

I also think the Raiders have added so much speed, especially on defense, that the AFC west will find them a little nasty to deal with. With Art and Co. finally making some of these guys live up to their potential, I see an exciting Raider revival on the horizon.

OK, they had one nice little run under Gruden in the last two decades. In the last 20 years, they've won 10 or more games 5 times. One of those was a 10 win season where they won 9 games by a TD or less. (under Shell for what it's worth)

Now I'm supposed to believe Aaron Brooks is going to lead them to a 10 win record in one of the most difficult divisions in pro football? With an offensive coordinator who has spent the last decade fishing in Idaho?

Sorry, I see potential there. They have some young guns who can play defense and play it well. That said, outside of Burgess, there is no pass rush there. They gave up one of the highest opposing QB ratings of any team last year. Of their last six losses, they were in one game, agianst Cleveland with Charlie Frye making one of his first starts.

And even this preseason, what's to get excited about? They played Philly where McNabb played one series and had a 60+ yard TD drive. They played the Vikings, where Brad Johnson played two series. One a three and out then a long TD drive. Then they wiped out two horrific offenses, both with new coordinators who are still trying to figure out personell.

No disrespect to the Raiders, but I don't see a strong team here. In a few years, with a good QB and a good coaching staff, maybe. But with this group? 8-8 or worse. Moss will put Brooks in a stranglehold by week 5. One single injury to the defensive line (especially Burgess who had a history of injuries prior to last year) and the team will fall apart. It won't shock me if they beat Sd on opening night with Rivers having opening game jitters. I'd be shocked if they finished any higher than 3rd in the AFC West and expect them to finish 4th.

Dwolfson20
08-27-2006, 03:47 PM
This thread is great. The Raiders? 10-6? This year? You've got to be shitting me.

jbmagic
08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
This thread is great. The Raiders? 10-6? This year? You've got to be shitting me.

Yes it can be done.

Remember Tampa Bay winning the Superbowl and next season they didnt even make the playoffs.

Teams can turn it around.

Mo.Raider
08-27-2006, 04:54 PM

That sounds almost exactly like comments by Irvin on the first pre-game. His comments made me a little more confident because I always know he has no idea what he is talking about:) .

Pumpy Tudors
08-27-2006, 05:42 PM
You know what? I might have been wrong all along. The Raiders can go 10-6, or maybe even 11-5. Someone just point me to the article that shows that they got moved to the NFC North, and I think I can see where people are coming from.

Raiders Army
08-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Yes it can be done.

Remember Tampa Bay winning the Superbowl and next season they didnt even make the playoffs.

Teams can turn it around.
FWIW, I don't think this is a good example.

#1: There's a huge difference in toppling from the top than jumping up from the bottom; in other words, it's far easier to get really bad than it is to get really good.

#2: When Tampa Bay won the Superbowl, the Raiders' fall was much worse the next season.

Lathum
08-27-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm really looking forward to bumping this thread in a few months.

TroyF
08-27-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm really looking forward to bumping this thread in a few months.

Don't worry. It'll get bumped when the Raiders grab their first win and bumped again when they lose a close game to a good team.

By the time mid season has set in, then you'll have to worry about bumping it up. :)

Izulde
08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
I think Art Shell is a damn fine coach, but Al Davis won't give him the freedom a head coach should rightfully have.

That and the Raiders suck it against their division, so I'd consider 8-8 a minor miracle of a season.

Galaxy
08-27-2006, 11:30 PM
On the next FOFC Idol, will Phoenix be able to knock jbmagic off the the title place?

Cringer
08-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Packers looked good against the Falcons last week, too.

I smell a Superbowl I rematch, oh yeah!! ;)

law90026
08-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Aaron Brooks has the physical and mental ability to be a pro bowl QB. I don't think he will be able to fight past his own laid back tendencies to ever realize that potential, however. He's a good guy, hes just not enough of a fighter to improve himself play by play second by second like the best QBs do.

A tad contradictory? The ability to not be laid-back and to improve himself definitely sounds like a mental issue .. on top of that his propensity to make bad decisions? I really don't believe he has the mental ability in that sense.

He's gifted physically but that's carried him as far as he can go I think... still, there's always hope for change I guess.

SunDevil
08-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Why does this thread give me the impression that this is the heir to the Maximum Football thread. :)

Mo.Raider
08-28-2006, 01:48 AM
I think Art Shell is a damn fine coach, but Al Davis won't give him the freedom a head coach should rightfully have.

That and the Raiders suck it against their division, so I'd consider 8-8 a minor miracle of a season.

They have only "sucked it in their division lately", and actually I think Art Shell is the only coach that will have the freedom to do as he pleases. He has Raider clout, and Al has tested the waters with outside help with very little success. Al realizes that their last parting of ways was a mistake, and I see Art staying there until he decides to retire. I then see Art taking a front office job. I think Al actually has plans for Art Shell in some capacity when it comes to a succession plan when Al can no longer go. Who better to guide the Raiders when Al passes on than a former trusted player/coach/friend. That gives Art lots of authority as a coach in the present. The thing that makes me hopeful this season is a return of discipline. They have been running gassers after practice for boneheaded penalties, which would have been met with staunch resistance with Turner/Callahan/ and even Chucky at the helm.

TroyF
08-28-2006, 04:30 AM
They have only "sucked it in their division lately", and actually I think Art Shell is the only coach that will have the freedom to do as he pleases. He has Raider clout, and Al has tested the waters with outside help with very little success. Al realizes that their last parting of ways was a mistake, and I see Art staying there until he decides to retire. I then see Art taking a front office job. I think Al actually has plans for Art Shell in some capacity when it comes to a succession plan when Al can no longer go. Who better to guide the Raiders when Al passes on than a former trusted player/coach/friend. That gives Art lots of authority as a coach in the present. The thing that makes me hopeful this season is a return of discipline. They have been running gassers after practice for boneheaded penalties, which would have been met with staunch resistance with Turner/Callahan/ and even Chucky at the helm.

But it wasn't a mistake. People forget how Shell parted last time. The team was in full scale revolt. Complete 100% mutiny. Coaching staff AND players were demanding he be fired. They had no choice. Shell was also the coach when the Raiders had a league record 104 penalties.

I like Shell actually. Good guy and I think he deserved a chance in the league a long time ago. But the circumstances in which he left weren't horrible or unfair and it wasn't even a mistake by Al Davis standards.

rkmsuf
08-28-2006, 08:24 AM
If you have the Raiders and the under.....you win!

They should have brought Madden back...fuck this Art Shell bullshit.

Seriously, if they go 8-8 I'll convert to jbmagicism.

Desnudo
08-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Six games against Denver, KC, and SD. Probably two wins at most. Losses to Pitt, Seattle, and Cincy leaves you with 2-7 already.

dacman
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah, the Raiders are so good and have such great QB play (snicker), they just went out and signed JEFF F***ING GEORGE!

JeeberD
08-28-2006, 04:51 PM

See what happens when you draft a Miner?

Pumpy Tudors
08-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, the Raiders are so good and have such great QB play (snicker), they just went out and signed JEFF F***ING GEORGE!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

cthomer5000
08-28-2006, 05:48 PM

WOOT... this rocks!

kingfc22
08-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Jeff George. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAAH

sterlingice
08-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I can't wait for the obligatory Whitlock column about Jeff George :p

SI

Raiders Army
08-28-2006, 06:32 PM
They'll release him before the regular season. He was signed because of Andrew Walter's right shoulder injury.

pennywisesb
08-28-2006, 06:34 PM
They'll release him before the regular season. He was signed because of Andrew Walter's right shoulder injury.
We can only hope dude. We can only hope.

Raiders Army
08-28-2006, 06:51 PM
*crosses fingers*

TroyF
08-28-2006, 07:35 PM

Why would they sign George than? What's the point? They have a 3rd stringer who has been in the system for years. If they think Walter's shoulder is going to be fine, there is no need to sign George before the start of the season. Just give your third guy more reps and let him play most of the final preseason game.

And why George? There are QB's out there to sign. Maybe not good QB's, but certainly ones that have thrown an NFL pass in the last five seasons.

This is typical Al Davis. As a Broncos fan, I'm a member of the "give Al Davis the fountain of youth" club.

Raiders Army
08-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Even though it smacks of Al, I gotta give him props for bringing back Art Shell. I don't think the Silver and Black would be doing as well under Norv. In the back of my head, I'm hoping that there is something here that we don't see.

Mo.Raider
08-28-2006, 08:07 PM
The Jeff George thing is kind of strange/baffling.

TroyFBThey have a 3rd stringer who has been in the system for years. If they think Walter's shoulder is going to be fine, there is no need to sign George before the start of the season. Just give your third guy more reps and let him play most of the final preseason game.

Tui has been on the team, but not in the system. The system is new/old circa the Plunkett years, and is not suited for Tui's skills. Maybe George has been signed as a third stringer and a trade is in the works for Tui. He could be very successful in a west coast offense.

I was ready for Art to go last time around also. He wasn't that bad, just not great. I don't think Al will pull the plug on him this time. He is here until he wants to leave. But I think/hope he has improved his coaching skills since his last stint. I remember a Patriots coach that improved in his second gig, and it seems like Art has brought a new passion this time around.

By the way my brother in law is a Donkey fan also, makes for some interesting games:).

TroyF
08-28-2006, 10:21 PM
The Jeff George thing is kind of strange/baffling.

TroyF

Tui has been on the team, but not in the system. The system is new/old circa the Plunkett years, and is not suited for Tui's skills. Maybe George has been signed as a third stringer and a trade is in the works for Tui. He could be very successful in a west coast offense.

I was ready for Art to go last time around also. He wasn't that bad, just not great. I don't think Al will pull the plug on him this time. He is here until he wants to leave. But I think/hope he has improved his coaching skills since his last stint. I remember a Patriots coach that improved in his second gig, and it seems like Art has brought a new passion this time around.

By the way my brother in law is a Donkey fan also, makes for some interesting games:).

I just can't see George agreeing to come on as the third string QB.

As for Shell, I like the guy. But some of the moves he's already made are simply baffling. Bringing in an offensive coordinator who last coached ANY level of football in 1998 is insanity. Going back to the Plunkett offense is insanity.

I see no way this doesn't end up in flames like his last stint. I think he can coach, but Oakland is where decent coaches go to die. (see Shanahan, Mike)

Joe
08-28-2006, 10:26 PM
George hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL in five years, and he's still better than their current starter. Sad.

jbmagic
08-28-2006, 10:32 PM
I hope you guys don't make any excuses when the Raiders play well this season.

Mo.Raider
08-28-2006, 10:35 PM
I just can't see George agreeing to come on as the third string QB.

As for Shell, I like the guy. But some of the moves he's already made are simply baffling. Bringing in an offensive coordinator who last coached ANY level of football in 1998 is insanity. Going back to the Plunkett offense is insanity.

I see no way this doesn't end up in flames like his last stint. I think he can coach, but Oakland is where decent coaches go to die. (see Shanahan, Mike)

Maybe George needs the dough. I agree the Mike Walsh hiring made me a little nervous, but Art seems to be comfortable with him, and I have seen many old coaches come out of retirement and be just fine.

Oakland is where many coaches grow into great coaches. (see Madden, John);)

jbmagic
08-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe they sign George so he can retire as a Raider. :)

cthomer5000
08-29-2006, 12:25 AM

ROFL

Godzilla Blitz
08-29-2006, 09:05 AM
I only have seen the Raiders/Vikings game, but I wasn't impressed with Oakland at that point. Brooks and Moss seemed to be already be at odds with each other, the Raiders got a ton of stupid penalties, and Shell was walking the sideline in the second half telling players to move back from the field. Little things, sure, but I saw little evidence of effective discipline or organization.

I question Shell's coaching hires as well. Being a Hall of Fame player does not mean that you are a Hall of Fame coach, and it seems as if he just reached out to friends he knew rather than doing a comprehensive search for good candidates.

Certainly things should improve from the early preseason, but there are clues in the early preseason that can shed a lot of light on how well a team will play during the year. What I saw in Oakland was a sub .500 team.

Pumpy Tudors
08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
This thread is proof that every team gives their fans some hope for the upcoming season.

Well, maybe not the Jets.

st.cronin
08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
I am really excited about the return of Jeff George. He's one of my favorite all-time athletes.

TroyF
08-29-2006, 02:29 PM

Should we dig up that thread where three or four games into last year where you predicted the Raiders to win the division?

Did you make sure to bump that thread around week 14 and admit failure or did you pretend it didn't exist and run as far as you could from it?

Don't worry. I'll be here. The Raiders play well, it's not a big deal to me. I don't like em, but there isn't anything wrong with them being good. Good for the rivalry.

Still, I don't think it's going to be us worrying about excuses. Get ready for 7-9 or worse, that's where you'll reside.

stevew
09-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Too early to bump yet?

RendeR
09-11-2006, 11:50 PM
7-9 would be a dream season for this team, the Raiders will be lucky to win 4 with this squad.

Abe Sargent
09-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Nah, not too early :)

Vince
09-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Too early to bump yet?

Perhaps. The Chargers have a really good defense.

jbmagic
09-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Nah, not too early :)

Not yet :)

Next week at Baltimore. Ouch :(

cthomer5000
09-11-2006, 11:54 PM
wow is Oakland awful.

TazFTW
09-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Flip a coin with the Packers and start negotiations with Brady Quinn.

jbmagic
09-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Whats the last team to have no points after the first 2 games of the season?

It could happen with My Raiders after we play Baltimore next week.

k0ruptr
09-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Whats the last team to have no points after the first 2 games of the season?

It could happen with My Raiders after we play Baltimore next week.

No worries they are still gonna win 10 games right???

jbmagic
09-12-2006, 12:06 AM
No worries they are still gonna win 10 games right???

yep

Still too early.

A lot of great teams lost in the first week this season.

Eaglesfan27
09-12-2006, 12:07 AM
yep

Still too early.

Yeah, a lot of great teams got shut out 27-0 by a team that played one dimensionally on offense. No need to worry.

Rizon
09-12-2006, 12:09 AM
The league should probably step in and do something about the Faiders before someone on that team is seriously hurt. I vote contraction.

Neuqua
09-12-2006, 12:09 AM
yep

Still too early.

Do a lot of teams have their fans predicting them being held scoreless in the first two weekends also?

jbmagic
09-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Do a lot of teams have their fans predicting them being held scoreless in the first two weekends also?

Its possible. I can't deny it.

Being realistic it can happen because there playing Baltimore next week.

RendeR
09-12-2006, 12:26 AM
The league should probably step in and do something about the Faiders before someone on that team is seriously hurt. I vote contraction.

Arnold wants a team in LA, they could mov.....oh wait...nevermind...:p

mtolson
09-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, a lot of great teams got shut out 27-0 by a team that played one dimensionally on offense. No need to worry.

one dimensionally ? They didn't even do that after the first half. The offense basically folded and let the defense have at them.

bhlloy
09-12-2006, 12:31 AM
My Oakland Raiders looking great in preseason.

The offensive line is looking great and giving QB brooks time to do his thing.

I hope they can continue this in the regular season.

I hate to pile on, but this looks like the most incorrect post in FOF history. I can't remember an offensive line playing worse.

JeeberD
09-12-2006, 12:32 AM
How about that Thomas Howard!

Lorena
09-12-2006, 12:38 AM
That offensive line was so pitiful my grandma could have sacked Brooks. Aweful, just aweful.

Poli
09-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Without reading anything here, I know nothing good can come from this thread. :)

SunDevil
09-12-2006, 12:45 AM
So starting to turn my way.. :)

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showpost.php?p=1231061&postcount=40

EagleFan
09-12-2006, 01:28 AM
dam you stevew, I was going to bump this thread... ;)

Danny
09-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Im going to start rooting for a new team.

MrBigglesworth
09-12-2006, 01:38 AM
That was one of the worst games I have ever seen.

Ksyrup
09-12-2006, 06:38 AM
This thread has Elmo potential.

Pumpy Tudors
09-12-2006, 07:11 AM
This thread is proof that every team gives their fans some hope for the upcoming season.

Well, maybe not the Jets.
Thankfully, due to the Chargers completely annihilating the Raiders last night, my comment about the Jets slipped through the cracks. :)

TroyF
09-12-2006, 07:51 AM
OK guys. 15 games left for the Raiders, you tell me where they get their ten wins:

@Baltimore
Cleveland
@San Fran
@Denver
Arizona
Pitt
@Seattle
Denver
@KC
@SD
Houston
@Cincy
St.Louis
KC
@NY Jets

Tell me jb, where do they get their wins?

Eaglesfan27
09-12-2006, 07:52 AM
one dimensionally ? They didn't even do that after the first half. The offense basically folded and let the defense have at them.

I was talking about the Charger's offense being essentially one dimensional at least most of the game. Yet, the Raider's couldn't stop them from scoing 27. The Raider's offense was no dimensional.

Flasch186
09-12-2006, 07:59 AM
boy Ahnold sounded like a moron last night too.

Bee
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
OK guys. 15 games left for the Raiders, you tell me where they get their ten wins:

@Baltimore
Cleveland
@San Fran
@Denver
Arizona
Pitt
@Seattle
Denver
@KC
@SD
Houston
@Cincy
St.Louis
KC
@NY Jets

Well there's the two games against Denver. :D

Northwood_DK
09-12-2006, 08:02 AM

@Baltimore
Cleveland
@San Fran
@Denver
Arizona
Pitt
@Seattle
Denver
@KC
@SD
Houston
@Cincy
St.Louis
KC
@NY Jets

I count 3 maybe 4

gottimd
09-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Maybe if they play Green Bay the rest of the year.

TroyF
09-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Well there's the two games against Denver. :D

My money would be on the Broncos. This is even if they look as bad as they did yesterday.

Mustang
09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Maybe if they play Green Bay the rest of the year.

With the amount of personal tragedies that Favre has going on at any given time, I don't think the Raiders would want that.

Samdari
09-12-2006, 08:53 AM
My money would be on the Broncos. This is even if they look as bad as they did yesterday.

They didn't look all that bad. He looked terrible, but as a team it was not that bad.

The Raiders, on the other hand, sucked 46 deep.

MrBigglesworth
09-12-2006, 08:56 AM
With the amount of personal tragedies that Favre has going on at any given time, I don't think the Raiders would want that.
A guy at my fantasy draft had a great joke when somebody took Favre:

"Well, his mom is still alive, so he's guaranteed at least one more good game."

PadresFan104
09-12-2006, 09:12 AM
boy Ahnold sounded like a moron last night too.

Arnold was clueless about the game.

Did you see Jaworski's expression after Arnold said something about Art Shell and the miracle that was occuring on the field??? Priceless!!!!

Noble_Platypus
09-12-2006, 09:29 AM

I guess there is no need to start forming excuses yet.

By the way, were you having a good day or do the Raiders getting sodomized on MNF always bring out the best in you. You have spelled your words correctly and formed nearly complete sentances throughout this entire thread.

Pumpy Tudors
09-12-2006, 09:41 AM
A guy at my fantasy draft had a great joke when somebody took Favre:

"Well, his mom is still alive, so he's guaranteed at least one more good game."
Oof!

Ksyrup
09-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Arnold was clueless about the game.

Did you see Jaworski's expression after Arnold said something about Art Shell and the miracle that was occuring on the field??? Priceless!!!!

Yep, I noticed that, too.

JAG
09-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey, the Raiders may have lost the game, but their team unity is still strong. Check out the below article.

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2584133

Porter seen pumping fist, laughing as Brooks is sacked

When Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss said of his team, "things are crazy around here," he wasn't kidding.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported on its Web site that disgruntled receiver Jerry Porter who was inactive for the 27-0 drugging the Raiders absorbed from the San Diego Chargers on Monday night, was seen laughing and pumping his fist on the sidelines when Raiders teammate Aaron Brooks was sacked for the seventh time.

Porter's role on the team has greatly diminished after he clashed with new coach Art Shell in the offseason over his offseason workout plans. Porter demanded a trade at the start of training camp, but the Raiders have declined to grant his wish.

Porter was slowed by a calf injury early in training camp but was healthy for the final three preseason games and was not listed on the team's injury report leading up to the game. He was on the sideline in street clothes for this game.

"As far as Jerry Porter is concerned, I really don't know where he stands, what the organization has in store for him," Moss told Fox Sports Radio last week. "So the only thing I can do is worry about the guys they're putting on the field."

Porter led the Raiders with 76 catches last season and had 942 yards receiving and five touchdown receptions in 2005.

He has not been listed as a starter all of training camp, even after the Raiders traded starter Doug Gabriel to New England on Sept. 2.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Pumpy Tudors
09-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Given Brooks' history in New Orleans, I'm surprised that he wasn't laughing and pumping his fist as he got sacked.

TroyF
09-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Good lord. Why did they trade Gabriel again?

This sounds like a perfect Al Davis/Marcus Allen moment now. He'll keep him on the bench all year, franchise him next year and repeat the process.

Porter may never catch another pass in the NFL, but Davis will pay him like one of the top 5 WR in football just to make sure.

kcchief19
09-12-2006, 10:49 AM

This sounds like a perfect Al Davis/Marcus Allen moment now. He'll keep him on the bench all year, franchise him next year and repeat the process.

Porter may never catch another pass in the NFL, but Davis will pay him like one of the top 5 WR in football just to make sure.
As long as that ends up with the same way with Jerry Porter in Kansas City in two years and a future Hall of Fame quarterback joining him, I have no problem with the process. :)

I count two, maybe three wins for the Raiders. San Diego's defense is good, but based on how the Ravens looked Sunday I think they could hold the Raiders to 10 yards passing. I'd resign Jeff George today just so that when Aaron Brooks has his ass beaten into the ground that they don't have to risk have Walter get the ever living piss knocked out of him.

TroyF
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
As long as that ends up with the same way with Jerry Porter in Kansas City in two years and a future Hall of Fame quarterback joining him, I have no problem with the process. :)

I count two, maybe three wins for the Raiders. San Diego's defense is good, but based on how the Ravens looked Sunday I think they could hold the Raiders to 10 yards passing. I'd resign Jeff George today just so that when Aaron Brooks has his ass beaten into the ground that they don't have to risk have Walter get the ever living piss knocked out of him.

Yep, meet your future hall of fame QB. . . Brett Favre. Enjoy.

Noble_Platypus
09-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Look at the bright side Raiders fans : you held Rivers to only 8 completions! Theres that silver lining, I knew there had to be one!

Rizon
09-12-2006, 08:11 PM

@Baltimore
Cleveland
@San Fran
@Denver
Arizona
Pitt
@Seattle
Denver
@KC
@SD
Houston
@Cincy
St.Louis
KC
@NY Jets

This team has a legitimate shot at 0-16.

Logan
09-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Remember when Robert Gallery was the "can't miss, lock him down at LT for 15 years and don't worry about the position until he hangs em up" prospect?

I bet Al Davis misses those days. Seems like he turned more into the "can't move his feet quick enough to block anybody" slug.

jbmagic
09-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Remember when Robert Gallery was the "can't miss, lock him down at LT for 15 years and don't worry about the position until he hangs em up" prospect?

I bet Al Davis misses those days. Seems like he turned more into the "can't move his feet quick enough to block anybody" slug.

You know that he switch sides this season.

Logan
09-12-2006, 09:58 PM
You know that he switch sides this season.

Yes. He was originally an RT because he sucked out of camp as a rookie, and they figured he could handle that side better. When that didn't work, they tried him back at LT. Last night you witnessed the result of that experiment. Enjoy the rest of your glorious season.

RendeR
09-12-2006, 10:09 PM
This team has a legitimate shot at being shut out 16 times this year.

Fixed that for you ;)

yabanci
09-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Tom Walsh's playbook, page 1 (of 2)

http://www.onepageoffame.com/twalsh-gameplan.JPG

credit to Raider Bill

EagleFan
09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I heart this thread..... :D

SunDevil
09-15-2006, 01:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2588993

Radiers lose Gallery with calf tear
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Already under fire after a dismal performance in the team's opening game shutout loss, the Oakland Raiders offensive line has suffered another setback, as starting left tackle Robert Gallery has a partially torn calf muscle that likely will sideline him 2-to-3 weeks and perhaps longer.

The injury occurred during practice on Wednesday, and a Thursday MRI exam revealed the tear.

Sixth-year veteran Chad Slaughter, a journeyman who has made just 28 career appearances and whose only other start came in 2003, will move into the lineup at left tackle for the game against the Baltimore Ravens. Coach Art Shell considered moving left guard Barry Sims back to tackle, the position at which he started for the past five seasons, but he wanted to reduce the number of switches on a unit already shell-shocked by last week's results, a 27-0 home loss to the San Diego Chargers.

The Ravens shut out the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their opener and the defense, which employed a heavy dose of blitzes and forced Chris Simms into three interceptions, played very aggressively. Baltimore figured to blitz embattled Raiders quarterback Aaron Brooks heavily even with Gallery in the lineup and may turn up the heat even more now against a line that surrendered nine sacks last week.

Robert Gallery
Gallery

Slaughter, 28, has not played extensively in any season of his career. He replaced an injured Gallery in the 2005 season finale and played surprisingly well against New York Giants star Michael Strahan. Said Shell: "Chad is a battler."

The calf injury represents the latest setback for Gallery, who has not yet lived up to his reputation as the second player chosen overall in the 2004 draft. The former University of Iowa star was lauded as on of the top left tackle prospects of the past decade when he entered the league. But he played primarily at right tackle, and some at guard, in his first two seasons and struggled noticeably at times.

This spring, in revamping the entire offensive line, Shell decided to move Gallery to the left side and to bump Sims, the long-time starter there, to guard. Gallery has started in 32 of his 33 career appearances and, even though the tear to his calf is not total, such injuries are dicey and often require more recovery time than initially suggested.

By inserting Slaughter into the lineup, the Oakland unit will remain intact at its other four spots, with Sims at left guard, Jake Grove at center, rookie third-round choice Paul McQuistan at right guard and Langston Walker at right tackle. That relative stability may not help, however, unless the Raiders' line raises the level of its play.

"Obviously, we're not going to win many games with the way we played [last week]," Sims acknowledged.

Logan
09-15-2006, 01:49 PM
The calf injury represents the latest setback for Gallery, who has not yet lived up to his reputation as the second player chosen overall in the 2004 draft. The former University of Iowa star was lauded as on of the top left tackle prospects of the past decade when he entered the league. But he played primarily at right tackle, and some at guard, in his first two seasons and struggled noticeably at times.

Emphasized for jb.

scooper
09-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Dear Robert,
Get well soon. And please work on your pass protection. PLEASE. I mean it. Please.

Yours Truly

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/scooper1012/Quinn.jpg

rkmsuf
09-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Would Brady Quinn consider tanking a bowl game and the combine intentionally?

scooper
09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Would Brady Quinn consider tanking a bowl game and the combine intentionally?

I'd prefer he pulled an Eli.

scooper
09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
On second thought, maybe he wouldn't need to tank anything but the combine interview.

Raiders Scout: So, Brady. Tell me about your strength as a QB.

Brady Quinn: Well, they say I have a strong arm and remain calm in the pocket. But do you know who has a really good arm? Troy Smith. Boy, I’ll tell ya. What a rocket. And accurate, too.
<O:p
RS: OK, uhhh thanks. Tell me a bit about yourself off the field.
BQ: Well, I’m a devout Methodist. I love my parents and, er umm. I mean I love kicking puppies and stealing walkers from little old ladies. Wait. You’re from the Raiders right?
RS: Correct.
BQ: Well then, as I said. I’m a devout Methodist and I live a pretty clean boring life.

stevew
09-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Lets see, in the past 3 years the Faiders have passed on Rivers, Roethlisburger, Loseman, Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, and Matt Leinart, among others. So there is probably little chance they would want to ruin Quinn's life either.

Pumpy Tudors
09-15-2006, 03:59 PM
scooper nailed it. Good job. :D

Raiders Army
09-15-2006, 05:11 PM

Huge difference between Marcus Allen and Jerry Porter. Marcus was a legitimate RB who had tons of talent and produced for the Raiders. Jerry hasn't done squat, even with Moss on the other side of him. No 1,000 yard receiving season nor a 100 catch season.

Now, I'll agree that the organization seems to be in shambles and I have to believe that they aren't tanking the season purposely due to the fact that Al is trying to pull a profit and fill the stadium. This year the Raiders took over their own ticket sales so they have to be trying to win.

On the other hand, I would almost rather have them tanking the season purposely than think they're doing their best at this point.

TroyF
09-15-2006, 06:01 PM
RA,

Hell, Porter is a terrific WR. He's misused in a horrific system. Last year he caught 16 more passes than Moss. The year before, his number equaled what Randy did last year as the Oakland #1 WR.

Oakland misuses pretty much every offensive weapon they have.

Now, unlike Branch, Porter is a malcontent dirtbag. He's not exactly a guy who gives a crap about anyone but himself. But he's talented and there is ZERO doubt he couldn't help the Raiders out right now, even if only a little.

They should trade his ass or play him. But instead they'll sit him as a healthy scratch and pay him his full salary. Idiots.

Crim
09-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm a Baltimore fan, just this coming week. Yum!

Mo.Raider
09-15-2006, 11:57 PM
RA,

Hell, Porter is a terrific WR. He's misused in a horrific system. Last year he caught 16 more passes than Moss. The year before, his number equaled what Randy did last year as the Oakland #1 WR.

Now, unlike Branch, Porter is a malcontent dirtbag. He's not exactly a guy who gives a crap about anyone but himself. But he's talented and there is ZERO doubt he couldn't help the Raiders out right now, even if only a little.

They should trade his ass or play him. But instead they'll sit him as a healthy scratch and pay him his full salary. Idiots.

Jerry Porter has talent of course, and if he had the heart he could be something special. I have been left scratching my head over the Gabriel trade. It will once again give the Pats a steal and prove that their system of looking for character in players transfers into wins. Porter has been shopped, but no one wants to pony up the 4 mil signing bonus that he pocketed, especially not Jerry "lil TO" Porter. I don't think it has anything to do with Al wanting to sit Porter just to ruin his career, rather than Al backing Art. For the first time in a long time Al is actually backing his coach and I think he should (he should have backed a young shannahan before he bolted for your Donkeys).:) If this is the dreaded word "rebuilding" phase then I hope we cut our losses and let the malcontents get flushed. Gruden went looking for character types and it paid off. Al tends to think that as long as they play on Sunday then they can be a jerk the rest of the time for all he cares. Unfortunately in this day and age we have the most egotistical, "I got to love me some me" baby athletes to grace the NFL with their presence. And they aren't man enough to work out their problems man to man with their ..ahem.. team, they run to the media like a squawking chicken.

I still think this could be a very positive year in the long run for the team with the best record of all time (that is why there are so many envious Raider haters in this thread). The weakest link has been and I think will continue to be Tom Walsh. I really believe that Al will stick by Art and pressure him to down grade Walsh if this insane play calling continues. I love the philosophy, but you have to do a little bit of everything if you want to win games. In the end one of the games I expect to win is Denver. I know that will get you stoked TroyF. :p

And remember this Sunday when the Raiders play the Ravens..."on any given Sunday."

Raiders Army
09-16-2006, 08:27 AM
RA,

What Mo said. The only thing I disagree with is that this may be a good year. I'm looking at this to be a year to get younger players some playing time, solidify the defense and then work on a QB of the future (whether that's Walter or drafting someone next year).

The proof was in the pudding on Monday Night. I left for Yuma, AZ early Tuesday morning so I wasn't able to comment on it, but I was like WTF. Aaron Brooks (and pretty much the whole 1st string) gets pulled with 9 minutes to go. I think they wanted Walter to get some playing time, but it seemed as if it was another exhibition game.

The other thing that disappointed me was that Walsh didn't do more 3 step drops. Obviously the WR quick pass was working and the offensive line wasn't so why not keep on it until they're able to stop it?

TroyF
09-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Jerry Porter has talent of course, and if he had the heart he could be something special. I have been left scratching my head over the Gabriel trade. It will once again give the Pats a steal and prove that their system of looking for character in players transfers into wins. Porter has been shopped, but no one wants to pony up the 4 mil signing bonus that he pocketed, especially not Jerry "lil TO" Porter. I don't think it has anything to do with Al wanting to sit Porter just to ruin his career, rather than Al backing Art. For the first time in a long time Al is actually backing his coach and I think he should (he should have backed a young shannahan before he bolted for your Donkeys).:) If this is the dreaded word "rebuilding" phase then I hope we cut our losses and let the malcontents get flushed. Gruden went looking for character types and it paid off. Al tends to think that as long as they play on Sunday then they can be a jerk the rest of the time for all he cares. Unfortunately in this day and age we have the most egotistical, "I got to love me some me" baby athletes to grace the NFL with their presence. And they aren't man enough to work out their problems man to man with their ..ahem.. team, they run to the media like a squawking chicken.

I still think this could be a very positive year in the long run for the team with the best record of all time (that is why there are so many envious Raider haters in this thread). The weakest link has been and I think will continue to be Tom Walsh. I really believe that Al will stick by Art and pressure him to down grade Walsh if this insane play calling continues. I love the philosophy, but you have to do a little bit of everything if you want to win games. In the end one of the games I expect to win is Denver. I know that will get you stoked TroyF. :p

And remember this Sunday when the Raiders play the Ravens..."on any given Sunday."

Stoked? Why? The Raiders have beat Denver before and it'll happen again. When you cheer for a team QB's by Jake Plummer, you know that anything can happen on any given week.

That said, are the Raiders even in Denver's league right now? Hell, are they even in the NFL right now? Denver has beat the Raiders 5 of the last 6 times they've played, with the lowest margain of victory being 14 points. From the time Shanahan got here, the Broncos have beat the Raiders 17 out of 22 times.

I apologize if I don't see great cause to get "stoked" about a Raider fan predicting the Raiders will beat the Broncos. History aside, there is ZERO question who has the better football team or the better organization right now. (hint, it's not the guy in the sweatpants)

Mo.Raider
09-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I apologize if I don't see great cause to get "stoked" about a Raider fan predicting the Raiders will beat the Broncos. History aside, there is ZERO question who has the better football team or the better organization right now. (hint, it's not the guy in the sweatpants)

Calm down sunshine, I was just pestering you. You are right the Broncos have had the Raiders number as of late, and football is cyclical.

jbmagic
09-17-2006, 04:14 PM
The Raiders are going to be ok.

They have a bye week next week and should come back stronger.

The offense gets going we should be ok.

The defense is doing a pretty good job so far this season but they need some help from the Raiders offense to give them some rest.

Eaglesfan27
09-17-2006, 04:19 PM

The defense is doing a pretty good job so far this season but they need some help from the Raiders offense to give them some rest.

Yep, next week they might even score a touchdown.

JeeberD
09-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Another good game for Thomas Howard, at least. :)

bhlloy
09-17-2006, 04:37 PM

Uh... ok. Your starting QB can't even take a snap properly. The backup looked like shit. The line sucks, and the OC still thinks it's 1994.

I do admire your optimism though :)

hukarez
09-17-2006, 04:39 PM
I must be completely out of the loop, but when did the Raiders have Bruce Campbell as their QB?? :confused:

jbmagic
09-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Uh... ok. Your starting QB can't even take a snap properly. The backup looked like shit. The line sucks, and the OC still thinks it's 1994.

I do admire your optimism though :)

Backup QB Walters will do a lot better now he going to be the starter. With a bye week, it should him him get prepare for the next game against Cleveland.

Oilers9911
09-17-2006, 04:55 PM
The way the Broncos are playing right now the Raiders MIGHT beat them. Ugh.

sachmo71
09-17-2006, 04:58 PM

You are wrong. Sorry.

bhlloy
09-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Backup QB Walters will do a lot better now he going to be the starter. With a bye week, it should him him get prepare for the next game against Cleveland.

He threw three interceptions and completed 40% of his passes today. Not a good sign there. Even if he is NFL ready, he has one reciever who plays when he wants and a line that is absolutely shockingly bad. If he manages to squeeze four wins out of this team, then I'll concede that he could be a half decent QB in this league. I still don't see it though...

Logan
09-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Since he doesn't have an edit button, does that mean jb can't even delete threads? Cause if he can, I'm thinking of making a dupe just so his comments will never be forgotten.

stevew
09-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Since he doesn't have an edit button, does that mean jb can't even delete threads? Cause if he can, I'm thinking of making a dupe just so his comments will never be forgotten.

Yep, no edit or delete powers.

Eaglesfan27
09-17-2006, 06:37 PM

His frequent deleting of threads is a big part of why the edit button was taken away. No, he cannot delete threads.

st.cronin
09-17-2006, 06:37 PM

And if that doesn't work, they should then take TWO weeks off after that game.

stevew
09-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Walter is so good, he picked up an extra "s" at the end of his name.

Danny
09-17-2006, 07:13 PM
I'll be rooting for the Colts this season it looks like.

Pumpy Tudors
09-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I think jbmagic should get all his buttons back. It'd be great to see if he'd pull the same stunts again, now that he knows he's being watched.

Raiders Army
09-17-2006, 07:34 PM
The worst first two weeks I've ever watched.

TazFTW
09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Bring back Jeff George!

stevew
09-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Bring back Jeff George!

I'd have to think that may be the next move? Unless they are content to just go with Walter and Tsuisopoiodldiolgedingledangdo.

However the fuck you spell that guy's name.

Danny
09-17-2006, 07:46 PM
I hope they go with Walter. I think he is going to be a good quarterback eventually and they might as well get him as much experience as they can before next year.

kingfc22
09-17-2006, 08:07 PM
This thread is already a CLASSIC.

Good thing they got rid of Norv Turner because he obviosuly had no impact on their offense. *snickers*

SunDevil
09-17-2006, 10:38 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/showpost.php?p=1231061&postcount=40

I would like to reiterate my earlier point. :)

Mo.Raider
09-17-2006, 11:19 PM
My take after today's game.

1. My original prediction was 8-8, but the preseason looked promising bumping my prediction up to 10-6. I know preseason is pretty much useless, but they seemed to be much more disciplined. Now I do believe it is most likely much closer to my original prediction of 8-8. I think the defense will eventually win them some games and if the offense could wake up even a little (it can't do much worse than the last two games), then we will surprise some people as the season continues.

2. Biggest weakness is Offensive line. I have hopes for improvement with Slater, Eatman and Shell coaching but they are limited in talent, starting a rookie, and no one is playing the position they played last year except for the C Grove and he is injured. They claim the blocking schemes we are using has produced spectacular results in the past, although I still wish we could move to a zone blocking scheme much like the one Shanahan employs in Denver. With today’s speed I think a strong, quick, athletic lineman is much more effective than a dinosaur that misses his man more often than not.

3. Walter is the qb that I thought he would be. He is talented and cool in the pocket. With the way the o-line played today absolutely NO ONE would have gone away without a pick or two. He is a work in progress and I just wish the genius of Norvell Turner could have worked him in a little late last year during a 4-12 season instead of sticking with someone who is stinking it up in Tennessee this year. He is basically a rookie that is having to play like a vet. There is no protecting him ala Rothlesberger or Rivers by letting him hand the ball off and take his shots sparingly because Lamont Jordan is an average runner/terrible blocking back in protection that would probably back up in most places.

4. The Defense is getting much better. I have been impressed with the speed they have added this year and last and it continues to improve with Sapps leadership and humble hard working players like Huff and Howard. Allowing only nine points with the field position the offense and special teams gave Baltimore early on was a nice effort.

5. I don't believe the time off has hurt Walsh's play calling ability, he isn't very good. I remember the Hostetler days and Walsh was abysmal then and he is abysmal today.

Remaining schedule:

Wins= Cleveland, at San Francisco, Arizona, Denver, Houston, St. Louis, Kansas City, at New York Jets = 8 wins

Losses= at Denver, Pittsburgh, at Seattle, at Kansas City, at Sandiego, at Cinncinatti, previous two losses = 8 losses

Terps
09-17-2006, 11:33 PM
I could see them losing 4 of those 8 wins you're predicting.

Eaglesfan27
09-17-2006, 11:35 PM
I think you are underestimating SF. I also think Arizona, Houston, the Jets, St. Louis, and KC (assuming Green is back) will all beat them. I'll be shocked if this team ends up with more than 4 wins.

TroyF
09-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Wins= Cleveland, at San Francisco, Arizona, Denver, Houston, St. Louis, Kansas City, at New York Jets = 8 wins

I'll give you Cleveland and Houston.

The Niners on the road is no gimme. I think they are the better team. Arizona is the same thing. The thing about those two games is your defense. If it plays well, you have a shot, because neither team has a dominant type defense. The Jets are a 50/50 thing. If Green is healthy, you have NO shot against KC. Their defense is better this year. I don't see Denver either. To good of a defense. Ditto with St. Louis.

The OLine is your biggest problem. If you can't stop a front 7 and establish any kind of running game, you can't beat a team. Walter is not that good and the WR core is average at best, even with Moss. (who now seems to be the highest paid possession WR in the game)

Because of that, I find it tough to believe the Raiders can beat any good defensive team. The OL and overall offensive structure just aren't good enough to score. As for your defense, keep in mind that San Diego and Baltimore both played ultra conservative games. After the first couple of series, they realize you aren't going to score, so they reign back the offense in.

It becomes a matter of simply hanging on to the ball if you have a good defense, because you know the Raiders aren't scoring more than 10 points. That's gotta change if you want to be dreaming about 8-8.

I don't see how this team has more than 4 wins. To be honest, I think that would be a major achievment in itself.

SnDvls
09-18-2006, 12:37 AM

looks like I was right after all. he'll start the next game and barring injury be the starter for the rest of the year. now if their o-line could give him some time.

jbmagic
09-18-2006, 12:42 AM
The sacks will go down. Walter as Qb will get rid of the ball faster than Brooks.

Vinatieri for Prez
09-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Much like with Plummer, why in the world did the Raiders think Brooks was going to be good as the starter? It just boggles my mind sometimes.

Raiders Army
09-18-2006, 07:54 AM
To be fair, I think Brooks is playing "within the system". He's executing the gameplan...the problem is, the gameplan sucks.

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 08:51 AM
My take after today's game.

1. My original prediction was 8-8, but the preseason looked promising bumping my prediction up to 10-6. I know preseason is pretty much useless, but they seemed to be much more disciplined. Now I do believe it is most likely much closer to my original prediction of 8-8. I think the defense will eventually win them some games and if the offense could wake up even a little (it can't do much worse than the last two games), then we will surprise some people as the season continues.

2. Biggest weakness is Offensive line. I have hopes for improvement with Slater, Eatman and Shell coaching but they are limited in talent, starting a rookie, and no one is playing the position they played last year except for the C Grove and he is injured. They claim the blocking schemes we are using has produced spectacular results in the past, although I still wish we could move to a zone blocking scheme much like the one Shanahan employs in Denver. With today’s speed I think a strong, quick, athletic lineman is much more effective than a dinosaur that misses his man more often than not.

3. Walter is the qb that I thought he would be. He is talented and cool in the pocket. With the way the o-line played today absolutely NO ONE would have gone away without a pick or two. He is a work in progress and I just wish the genius of Norvell Turner could have worked him in a little late last year during a 4-12 season instead of sticking with someone who is stinking it up in Tennessee this year. He is basically a rookie that is having to play like a vet. There is no protecting him ala Rothlesberger or Rivers by letting him hand the ball off and take his shots sparingly because Lamont Jordan is an average runner/terrible blocking back in protection that would probably back up in most places.

4. The Defense is getting much better. I have been impressed with the speed they have added this year and last and it continues to improve with Sapps leadership and humble hard working players like Huff and Howard. Allowing only nine points with the field position the offense and special teams gave Baltimore early on was a nice effort.

5. I don't believe the time off has hurt Walsh's play calling ability, he isn't very good. I remember the Hostetler days and Walsh was abysmal then and he is abysmal today.

Remaining schedule:

Losses= at Denver, Pittsburgh, at Seattle, at Kansas City, at Sandiego, at Cinncinatti, previous two losses = 8 losses

This is my front runner for "homer post of the year" award

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 08:52 AM
On a side note, how pathetic is it when you are a major apologist/homer and even you cant predict more than 8-8?

stevew
09-18-2006, 08:54 AM
This is my new favorite thread on this board. Let's get this thing up to 25 pages.

stevew
09-18-2006, 08:55 AM
To be fair, I think Brooks is playing "within the system". He's executing the gameplan...the problem is, the gameplan sucks.

I dunno, he sucks pretty bad too. It's not just the gameplan.

TroyF
09-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Much like with Plummer, why in the world did the Raiders think Brooks was going to be good as the starter? It just boggles my mind sometimes.

I'll tell you something, I hate Jake Plummer. Despise the guy. Wish he wasn't my QB.

But comparing him to Brooks is ridiculous. Plummer had one hell of a season last year, despite my hatred of him. He's not the answer, but he's a hell of a lot better option than Brooks is. As QB of the Broncos, he's had a rating over 90 twice in three seasons. Brooks has never been and never will get there.

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 09:07 AM
How pissed are the guys who drafted Randy Moss in the first round of their fantasy draft?

TroyF
09-18-2006, 09:14 AM
How pissed are the guys who drafted Randy Moss in the first round of their fantasy draft?

Does it matter? I've had Moss on a ton of fantasy teams. He's led me to titles in previous years. Yet anyone thinking he was on his way to a monster year this season was nuts.

jbmagic
09-18-2006, 09:15 AM

No excuses for the 2 fumbles he had on Sunday for the first two snaps.

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Does it matter? I've had Moss on a ton of fantasy teams. He's led me to titles in previous years. Yet anyone thinking he was on his way to a monster year this season was nuts.

Well, you dont draft a guy in the first round unless you think he is going to have a Monster year.

TroyF
09-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Well, you dont draft a guy in the first round unless you think he is going to have a Monster year.

That's my point. If they thought he was going to, they were wacko. I don't care how mad they are, I just hope to have them in one of my leagues next year.

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Who is the bigger flop now that they are out of Minnesota, Culpepper or Moss?

rkmsuf
09-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Culpepper. He threw one ball yesterday that was up there for the worst pass of all time.

st.cronin
09-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Definitely Culpepper. Culpepper is the new Aaron Brooks.

Samdari
09-18-2006, 10:12 AM

Moss.

Knowledgeable football observers always knew that it was Moss who made Culpepper. Unfortunately, he stopped playing hard sometime in 2004 and hasn't since.

bulletsponge
09-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Culpepper. Moss cant help it his quaterback doesnt have time or the arm to get him the ball.

Pumpy Tudors
Two or three more weeks behind that Oakland offensive line, and Aaron Brooks will be the new Aaron Brooks.

rkmsuf

Granted I haven't watched Moss because well, who watches the Raiders but I've seen 2 Culpeeper games this season and was left thinking they were way better off with AJ Feely and Sage Rosefels at the helm.

And they'd be better off Mike Mularky-less.

st.cronin
09-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Two or three more weeks behind that Oakland offensive line, and Aaron Brooks will be the new Aaron Brooks.

I don't think Aaron Brooks will be spending any more time behind the Oakland offensive line. Aaron Brooks is the new Tommy Maddox.

wade moore
09-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Granted I haven't watched Moss because well, who watches the Raiders but I've seen 2 Culpeeper games this season and was left thinking they were way better off with AJ Feely and Sage Rosefels at the helm.

And they'd be better off Mike Mularky-less.

But I think you can make the argument that Culpepper was becoming this way before he got hurt in 2005. So actually leaving Minnesota hurt Moss more.

bulletsponge
09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
im just glad niether are in Minnesota anymore :)

Pumpy Tudors
09-18-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't think Aaron Brooks will be spending any more time behind the Oakland offensive line. Aaron Brooks is the new Tommy Maddox.
Wow, I guess Tommy Maddox is the new Jeff Blake.

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I never thought I would say this seriously but Jeff George is the Raiders best option right now. How sad is that?

Vinatieri for Prez
09-18-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll tell you something, I hate Jake Plummer. Despise the guy. Wish he wasn't my QB.

But comparing him to Brooks is ridiculous. Plummer had one hell of a season last year, despite my hatred of him. He's not the answer, but he's a hell of a lot better option than Brooks is. As QB of the Broncos, he's had a rating over 90 twice in three seasons. Brooks has never been and never will get there.

My apologies. That indeed was unfair to Plummer. My point about unrealistic expectations remains unchanged. But, as I said in a previous post, Plummer is a good QB who can get you about 11 wins with the right group around him, but never win the big one. Brooks on the other hand is just laughable.

Raiders Army
09-18-2006, 01:16 PM
I never thought I would say this seriously but Jeff George is the Raiders best option right now. How sad is that?

Not true. Andrew Walter is the best option right now, looking towards the future. Jeff George might win a few more games, but he isn't a long-term investment.

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Not true. Andrew Walter is the best option right now, looking towards the future. Jeff George might win a few more games, but he isn't a long-term investment.

neither is getting Walters killed behind the poor excuse of an offensive line. Let George take some lumps until your line gets better and Gallery gets healthy (not like that would help much) and then put Walter in. Plus you would admit to giving up on the season 2 weeks in. I mean we all know you guys are headed for the first overall pick, but do you want to be blatent about it? On top of that, do you think Walter is a legit starter? I think he is headed for solid back up status, not starter

rkmsuf
09-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Letting Walters play right now is the best way to ruin a qb prospect.

Raiders are doing it all right and firing on all cylinders.

bulletsponge
09-18-2006, 01:47 PM
i found the perfect smiley to describe the Raiders season http://www.smileyhut.com/naughty/shit.gif

Raiders Army
09-18-2006, 06:25 PM
neither is getting Walters killed behind the poor excuse of an offensive line. Let George take some lumps until your line gets better and Gallery gets healthy (not like that would help much) and then put Walter in. Plus you would admit to giving up on the season 2 weeks in. I mean we all know you guys are headed for the first overall pick, but do you want to be blatent about it? On top of that, do you think Walter is a legit starter? I think he is headed for solid back up status, not starter

Hmmm...upon reflection, you're correct about putting Walter in and letting him get killed with no running game; however, I think he has all of the tools to be a great starter.

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I see Walter as a solid backup/stop gap starter, not someone you go into the season planning to play every game

jbmagic
09-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I see Walter as a solid backup/stop gap starter, not someone you go into the season planning to play every game

Walter is going to be ok. He just needs to play and gain experience.

He doent hold the ball long like Brooks does. So the sacks will go down.

saldana
09-18-2006, 06:36 PM
after the past 2 weeks, the only thing the raiders should be concerned about is what size jersey does Brady Quinn wear?

Logan
09-18-2006, 06:46 PM
after the past 2 weeks, the only thing the raiders should be concerned about is what size jersey does Brady Quinn wear?

But first, wouldn't it make sense to figure out what size their 1st round pick will wear?

saldana
09-18-2006, 06:51 PM
But first, wouldn't it make sense to figure out what size their 1st round pick will wear?

guess you arent a ND fan? ( i am not either, just dont have the slightest idea who the potential #1 for next year is, and quinn is the only real heisman hype guy i hear about)

Logan
09-18-2006, 07:12 PM
guess you arent a ND fan? ( i am not either, just dont have the slightest idea who the potential #1 for next year is, and quinn is the only real heisman hype guy i hear about)

I really am impartial to ND. While I hate the amount of attention they get, their success is really important to the Big East. If they don't get the at-large BCS spot, they will basically take away a big-time (obviously non-BCS) bowl from a deserving BE team.

I'm only half-kidding about Quinn slipping. He'll never make it out of the 1st round when Weis takes over for Parcells. I hear he likes the kid.

bulletsponge
09-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Brady Quinn is the press's pretty boy QB that they will pump up all year. im suprised they can get thier mouths off of ND schlong long enough to hype him as much as they are. if Al Davis picks him #1 it will prove that he has lost all sense of reality

mtolson
09-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Culpepper. Moss cant help it his quaterback doesnt have time or the arm to get him the ball.

He would have plenty of time if Moss would stop jogging his routes. The only route he seems interested in running is the fly. Short of that Brooks, or however that decide to put in, will get sacked every-other-play waiting for him to get into his cuts.

EagleFan
09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
No excuses for the 2 fumbles he had on Sunday for the first two snaps.

They were in the game plan. :D ;) :cool:

Hey, where did our new smilies go?

Logan
09-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey, where did our new smilies go?

To their rightful death!

yabanci
09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Terror Alert in Oakland

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
September 18, 2006

OAKLAND, California (AP)--Oakland Raiders football practice was delayed nearly
two hours today after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery
substance on the practice field. Head coach Art Shell immediately
suspended practice and called the police and federal investigators.
After a complete analysis, FBI forensic experts determined that the
white substance unknown to players was the GOAL LINE. Practice resumed
after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the
substance again.

Noble_Platypus
09-18-2006, 09:27 PM

classic

sterlingice
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Hasn't that been posted a couple of times already this season?

SI

yabanci
09-18-2006, 10:22 PM

SI

who knows, who cares.

saldana
09-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Brady Quinn is the press's pretty boy QB that they will pump up all year. im suprised they can get thier mouths off of ND schlong long enough to hype him as much as they are. if Al Davis picks him #1 it will prove that he has lost all sense of reality

so its pretty much a dead solid lock then?

Brillig
09-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Al Davis won't pick him unless he can run a 4.4 40...

Mo.Raider
09-19-2006, 01:30 AM
This is my front runner for "homer post of the year" award

Thank you! Thank you! I have so many people I would like to thank....

On a side note, how pathetic is it when you are a major apologist/homer and even you cant predict more than 8-8?

It is called football discussion, on a football board. I know it is hard to imagine, but if you hang around here awhile, you might learn something. Also, I don't remember apologizing to anyone. After all I don't actually play for the Raiders, so I don't really have anything to do with their success or failure. If it makes you feel a little better, I will predict the Raiders to go 14-2... wow I feel less pathetic already.

stevew
09-19-2006, 01:41 AM

SI

Frankly, does it matter?

Poli
09-19-2006, 02:12 AM
Culpepper. He threw one ball yesterday that was up there for the worst pass of all time.

NFL, or overall? I submit Erik Ainge's softball toss to the LSU linebacker at the goalline as the worst pass of all time.

Noble_Platypus
09-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Thank you! Thank you! I have so many people I would like to thank....

It is called football discussion, on a football board. I know it is hard to imagine, but if you hang around here awhile, you might learn something. Also, I don't remember apologizing to anyone. After all I don't actually play for the Raiders, so I don't really have anything to do with their success or failure. If it makes you feel a little better, I will predict the Raiders to go 14-2... wow I feel less pathetic already.

You dont play for them? With all of your insight I thought you were at least a member of the front office. Your in depth analysis and how you wish "we" would move to a zone blocking scheme sure fooled me. You dont fool me Mr Davis. I know its you.

TroyF
09-19-2006, 01:55 PM
NFL, or overall? I submit Erik Ainge's softball toss to the LSU linebacker at the goalline as the worst pass of all time.

Plummer. Left handed, out of the end zone. TD KC.

I feel better now, I've spent to much time defending the clown the last few days. Feel much more comfortable doing this.

albionmoonlight
09-19-2006, 02:08 PM
This thread wouldn't be so cool if it were something like "I think that the Oakland Raiders are awesome"

It stands the test of time much better as a comment both on the Raiders and on the NFL Preseason.

Ksyrup
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Aaron Brooks...worst pass EVER:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cS4Gs5USLtg

albionmoonlight
09-19-2006, 03:16 PM

Jim Haslett spent years arguing that this was the quarterback who would lead us to the Super Bowl.

cthomer5000
09-19-2006, 03:27 PM

I feel better now, I've spent to much time defending the clown the last few days. Feel much more comfortable doing this.

I have to admit that was the play that jumped immediately to mind when I thought about "worst pass ever."

Vinatieri for Prez
09-19-2006, 03:33 PM

Nice. It would be bad enough if it was Deuce behind him, but lineman Wayne Gandy?? What did he think -- Gandy was going to break it for a big gain?

st.cronin
09-19-2006, 04:31 PM

I agree that would be hard to top.

Mo.Raider
09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
You dont play for them? With all of your insight I thought you were at least a member of the front office. Your in depth analysis and how you wish "we" would move to a zone blocking scheme sure fooled me. You dont fool me Mr Davis. I know its you.

Did I give you a wedgy in a past life or something or does it just really irritate you when someone actually has a rooting interest in team. I am a coach in the real world so it is just second nature to have "insight". I have seen a lot of mind numbing drivel on the board, and thought it was an interesting thread.

stevew
09-19-2006, 05:41 PM

I remember Garcia threw a very very memorable duck in last years thanksgiving game. It may have been one of the worst forward passes ever thrown by someone not named Garo Yapremium(sp)

jbmagic
09-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Madden 2007 has the Brooks glitch on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxanEBhUmec&NR

Raiders Army
09-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Did I give you a wedgy in a past life or something or does it just really irritate you when someone actually has a rooting interest in team. I am a coach in the real world so it is just second nature to have "insight". I have seen a lot of mind numbing drivel on the board, and thought it was an interesting thread.

I wouldn't worry about him. Who's his favorite team?

Noble_Platypus
09-19-2006, 09:26 PM

Its called humor. If you stick around the board long enough you'll get the hang of it.

Mo.Raider
09-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Its called humor. If you stick around the board long enough you'll get the hang of it.

Touché....

Apologetic…pathetic… homer…what are you Don Richols? It was really hard to tell you were laughing as you typed, but I see it now.

Noble_Platypus
09-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Touché....

Apologetic…pathetic… homer…what are you Don Richols? It was really hard to tell you were laughing as you typed, but I see it now.

No problem, it was all meant in good humor. Or at least Don Ricols humor, which is good too.

Rizon
09-20-2006, 08:13 AM
There reallly needs to be more love for Jay Schroeder in this thread.

EagleFan
09-20-2006, 11:41 PM
What's the over/under on them getting into the end zone?

stevew
09-20-2006, 11:53 PM
What's the over/under on them getting into the end zone?

I'm betting you definitely want to go with them not getting in there this weekend.

EagleFan
09-21-2006, 01:52 AM
I'm betting you definitely want to go with them not getting in there this weekend.

Isn't that the default bet at this point... :D

Danny
09-21-2006, 01:58 AM
Isn't that the default bet at this point... :D

Missing the boat, they have a bye.

EagleFan
09-21-2006, 02:40 AM
Missing the boat, they have a bye.

Not really, they probably have a better shot on their bye week. ;)

Noble_Platypus
09-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Does getting sacked in your end own zone for a safety count? I think they have a pretty good shot at that happening when they play next week.

Pumpy Tudors
09-21-2006, 08:08 AM
They have a pretty good shot of getting sacked in the end zone on their bye week.

Noble_Platypus
09-21-2006, 08:35 AM
At least they would know what it looks like. Or they could ask their defense, since they are always chasing the opposing team into the end zone.

jbmagic
09-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Moss now is feuding with Coach Art Shell. He is mad at him for not activating WR Porter back.

Noble_Platypus
09-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Porter isnt exactly itching to play for them righht now JB

rkmsuf
09-21-2006, 01:44 PM
I hadn't realized Art Shell was the Coach.

jbmagic
09-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Porter isnt exactly itching to play for them righht now JB

True

Just now we have are best two WR upset now.

johnnyshaka
09-21-2006, 01:52 PM
True

Big whoop...need somebody to be able to throw to them, anyway.

Noble_Platypus
09-21-2006, 01:53 PM
True

True, but you dont have a QB to get anyone the ball, so it doesnt matter.

Noble_Platypus
09-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Big whoop...need somebody to be able to throw to them, anyway.

You beat me to it. :)

JS19
09-21-2006, 02:08 PM
All this Raider talk has made me realize how much of a waste Randy Moss' talent is right now. Not saying he's a great guy to have on your team and such, but you can't deny that he is/was one of the best WRs. He seems to have fallen off the face of the earth since joining Oakland.

Noble_Platypus
09-21-2006, 02:11 PM
True, but Randy Moss himself is partially to blame for his talent being wasted. He only runs his routes hard half of the time.

Honolulu_Blue
09-21-2006, 02:17 PM
The despressing thing about all of this is that this thread was started right after the Raiders spanked the Detroit Lions in the Lions' 3rd (Raiders' 4th) preseason game, 21-7.

Brooks looked deadly accurate and Moss was unstoppable. Brooks was 9/15 for 187 yards and 2 TDs in the first half and Moss had 3 catches for 102 yards and 2 TDs.

I would like to think that the preseason is meaningless, but so far the Lions have scored only 13 points in 2 games and QBs have completed 45-57 passes against them so far.

Not good times... :(

Eaglesfan27
09-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Not saying he's a great guy to have on your team and such, but you can't deny that he was one of the best deep ball WRs for a few short years.

Fixed it for you.

johnnyshaka
09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Brooks looked deadly accurate...9/15...

Sixty percent is deadly accurate?

Honolulu_Blue
09-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Sixty percent is deadly accurate?

For Aaron Brooks? Yes.

Raiders Army
09-21-2006, 06:00 PM
The despressing thing about all of this is that this thread was started right after the Raiders spanked the Detroit Lions in the Lions' 3rd (Raiders' 4th) preseason game, 21-7.

Brooks looked deadly accurate and Moss was unstoppable. Brooks was 9/15 for 187 yards and 2 TDs in the first half and Moss had 3 catches for 102 yards and 2 TDs.

I would like to think that the preseason is meaningless, but so far the Lions have scored only 13 points in 2 games and QBs have completed 45-57 passes against them so far.

Not good times... :(

IIRC, the Lions came to Oakland the day of the game and had serious jetlag so that was part of the cause of them being flat that game.

DeToxRox
09-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Jerry Porter may be a Lion soon according to local hub bub. Terry Foster has been talking to NFL contacts, some of which say it's a given. Who knows but as with the Lions this will either boom or bust with no middle ground if true.