Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #4801
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
I'm referring to the whole, oh you know, letting me get killed thing.

Details. You were sure I was a rebel at that point anyway, so why bother helping you live?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #4802
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Hoops, I really enjoyed my character. In fact, a couple of us even sat through the dreadful film during one of our AIM sessions. But all in all, Ghost Rider was a great character to be. And, if I killed you, I'm probably sorry.

There was a MOVIE? If I had known that, I would have watched it! That would have helped me flesh out my character more, as wikipedia didn't give me much, and what it did give me seemed to vary from era to era.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #4803
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
There was a MOVIE? If I had known that, I would have watched it! That would have helped me flesh out my character more, as wikipedia didn't give me much, and what it did give me seemed to vary from era to era.

He is talking about the movie "GhostRider" that I found on tv one day while we were discussing strategy. I decided unfortunately to watch the movie to determine what potential possibilities there were.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #4804
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Just to add, thanks for the great game Mods. You guys were great. I can only imagine how much pestering you had to deal with, given I know how much I bugged you.

Kudos to my fellow wolves for bringing it home. I definitely had a good time and I thought we really worked out some great plans. I'm mightily impressed with the 3 of you who made it all game. I was more or less mentally cashed out by Day 4 or 5 and when the opportunity to fall on the sword came (in order to distract and aid in cementing Alan's clearing) I jumped at it. I don't think I could've held on much longer.

Anonymity was fun, though I quickly realized it wasn't for me. Not only because my schedule doesn't really allow for it but because I realized that I only know one way to type/post. Still, it was a nice sideshow to think about during the game, even if I was the complete idiot who managed to submit my guesses and get zero right (not couting the wolves/cross-posters)
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #4805
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh so the wolves knew who each other were? Did you guys speculate on who everyone else was, then? I'm pretty curious if Alan knew who I was -- I keep thinking the accusation that I was pretending to be both myself and the Shadow King works a lot better if people knew it was me, since it sounds like something I would do.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #4806
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
He is talking about the movie "GhostRider" that I found on tv one day while we were discussing strategy. I decided unfortunately to watch the movie to determine what potential possibilities there were.

Unfortunately, unfortunately?!?!??!?! I was thinking OSCAR! I...okay, I can't keep it up. It was bad but still.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #4807
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Oh so the wolves knew who each other were? Did you guys speculate on who everyone else was, then? I'm pretty curious if Alan knew who I was -- I keep thinking the accusation that I was pretending to be both myself and the Shadow King works a lot better if people knew it was me, since it sounds like something I would do.

No we didn't. But for the sake of that contest we couldn't count fellow wolves (I knew who Alan and PB were from cross posts) just because it would have made it too easy for wolves to win.

I knew who you were Pass, hoops posted your name accidentally for like a 2-minute window early on and I caught it (and told him to edit it to Scarlet Witch). So you were another I couldn't guess on.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #4808
Tyrith
College Starter

The alternative to possession is we could have just had you explode. If your choice is between mind control and death mind control is actually a little better - Fury, at least, got his body back.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #4809
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, I figured out who PurdueBrad was the same way everyone else did. Jeheinz I knew based on his schedule.. but Beast I didn't even know until last night.. that was quite a shock to me.

We didn't talk a ton about who was playing which characters oddly enough.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #4810
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, I had thought you were Lathum actually. I had no idea who you were. And from the contest that I tied with Path, it sounds like hardly anyone had any good idea who was who.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #4811
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
No, I had thought you were Lathum actually. I had no idea who you were. And from the contest that I tied with Path, it sounds like hardly anyone had any good idea who was who.

No, the guesses were totally abysmal, except for path during the tiebreaker round, who finally started to figure things out.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #4812
DrDoom
H.S. Freshman Team

Wow, fantastic coup at the end there, rebels. I'm really surprised people didn't catch on to Mr. F there at the end, but I know it's easier to see from the sidelines.

I apologize to the villagers for Dr. Doom's antics. Having Doom in charge did hurt you, because my independent win conditions meant I didn't really care too much about who were the bad guys. I was going after Galactus and figured as long as I could keep them from killing me for three days I'd be set (Doom had created a device that would steal GAlactus's energy and eventually allow Doom to replace him). Unfortunately I got ambushed by Kang after the first night of using the device.

I felt pretty good about Mr. F when I made him prelate, but definitely hadn't cleared him. I felt pretty safe with my Doombot in place and so was concentrating on other things. If Doom had stayed alive the villagers would have been in better shape because I was keeping an eye on everybody that I hadn't scanned. But my death came at a bad time, making everyone believe I had cleared my "team".

I have to say while I was tickled pink when Hulk tried to smash me (I was imagining the rebels dropping their jaws to the floor), I was going Hulk myself the next day when Kang ambushed me. I had gotten up early that morning, worrying about someone with another day attack, but hadn't decided what to do about it. Man, everyone in the house heard about that. Two more nights, that's all I needed, and Doom would rule all!!!

This is getting long, let me post for the mods next.
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #4813
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
No, the guesses were totally abysmal, except for path during the tiebreaker round, who finally started to figure things out.

Yeah, I think I got maybe 4 or 5 correct and ended up tying for the most with Path. I figured that was the case.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #4814
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I have to say while I was tickled pink when Hulk tried to smash me (I was imagining the rebels dropping their jaws to the floor), I was going Hulk myself the next day when Kang ambushed me. I had gotten up early that morning, worrying about someone with another day attack, but hadn't decided what to do about it. Man, everyone in the house heard about that. Two more nights, that's all I needed, and Doom would rule all!!!

Yeah, I think we were getting a bit frustrated at one point in mid game. Our only real award from winning the first mission helped us take out Apocolypse with our night kill on night 2. If Apocolypse had just ordered someone to guard him, we wouldn't have been able to do that even. Then with Doom, you had someone guard you every night. We couldn't find a way to get to you there, so had to use the Hulk to take you out.. except it didn't..

We basically had to kill a player with Seer/Bodyguard powers 3 times before we finally got the seer out of the game. At one point I think the general consensus was there was no way we could win this even, it felt so stacked against us.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #4815
Autumn
Head Coach

Guess I can use this now.

Mods, thank you for an awesome, awesome, awesome game. I know you'll hear lots of critiques on details but I had a fantastic time playing, even when I was punching holes in the wall.

I thought my character, Doom, was very well built. I would have tweaked some of hte powers, but his win conditions and create-a-powers worked great and I felt like I was really roleplaying Doom - as in I was making decisions based on how he would play it, like going for major victory and Galactus rather than playing it safe and rooting out rebels. That cost everybody in the end, but I thought it was Doom-ish.

I felt like there were too many factions, or rather too many independents. With this size it definitely worked to have a third party like Doom. And I thought a Herald of Galactus made good sense. But I think having the Shadow King as well, and the Skrull, and Iron Fist just put it to the point where I felt like I just had to toss up my hands, 'cause there was no telling what was going on or who was working for what.

Additionally, having the Skrull plan to get blown up on a certain day makes it harder to figure things out, I wouldn't recommend doing that again.

Possession is obviously a biggie. I assumed, and maybe would recommend, that something liek that be done differently, perhaps by having the player still control their character, but change the win conditions during the time of possession. I assumed that whoever was possessed by the Shadow King was essentially "converted" to a new win condition but then kept playing the character. It hink that would have been more fun for people. ONe-time-action possessions like I see some of the characters could do would be fine I think.

I also had an issue with the mix of real-time stuff and day/night cycles. It may just be because I was on the short end of two real-time special attacks, but I felt like that didn't quite fit and wasn't quite fair. As I said above, after the Hulk attack I felt like I had to get up extra early and check in or else risk losing my character, and doesn't quite seem fair. Lots of people don't have that choice, and it doesn't seem liek that should be part of the gameplay. On the other hand it makes sense to have some surprises.

I'm not sure that those powers weren't a bit overpowered too. Having at least two characters with the ability to instantly kill another character (and I think there may have been more) seems a bit lopsided, although obviously Doom stayed at least one step ahead with my Doombot power. It may just be sour grapes.

I don't understand how the Hulk attack worked, I'll have to look back at the powers. Ghost Rider could possess him? And how did they know he had that attack?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #4816
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I could only be killed in the Astral Plane, I didn't even know who could do it. Point is, I was never really "against" the village, just the people who I needed to outlive.

I created a power to spend a night in the astral plane to avoid a night kill but didn't get to use it.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #4817
Autumn
Head Coach

Although ironically I think most of the ones you killed (telepaths) didn't actually have seer powers, right?

I can see where it would have been frustrating for the wolves, although you had several lucky breaks where guards weren't put up on prelates and Apocalypse. And Jean Grey's (actual) goof ups on guard orders were examples of how a rebel prelate could have done a lot of damage. I'm sure you were real happy to have any day kill abilities, but I'm not sure they were the right solution to the conundrum.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #4818
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I don't understand how the Hulk attack worked, I'll have to look back at the powers. Ghost Rider could possess him? And how did they know he had that attack?

I don't think that we knew Hulk had that power. I think the plan was to posess Hulk and use him to attack you with the strongest attack that he had that day. After Ghost Rider posessed him however, he found he had hit the gold mine now that he knew what abilities there were, so his plan was changed on the fly.

On a different note, Autumn, I really enjoyed your playing of Doom. It was fun to read and helped with the game immersion I felt.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #4819
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
It would almost be fun if this was a practice game with the real one coming up in a few weeks .

Hoops, Tyrith -- hop to it, man!!! Nice job as always though in retrospect I really could have used that extra energy to take effect without that one day delay! That is just a hellish GM job to handle and you guys were awesome.

BTW Narcizo, I feel your pain -- I was just really starting to take a look at Mr. F when I was killed, and reading along just made that stronger that he was bad. Alan is such a good wolf.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #4820
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Although ironically I think most of the ones you killed (telepaths) didn't actually have seer powers, right?

I can see where it would have been frustrating for the wolves, although you had several lucky breaks where guards weren't put up on prelates and Apocalypse. And Jean Grey's (actual) goof ups on guard orders were examples of how a rebel prelate could have done a lot of damage. I'm sure you were real happy to have any day kill abilities, but I'm not sure they were the right solution to the conundrum.

We found out where the seer was because our day 1 mission win allowed us one of two options to do with the hounds (seer). We chose an option that would hinder Apocolypse's night view with them plus injure him. Once we saw the next day Apocolypse had gotten injured, I believe that is when we knew that he also had the seer (hounds).

I think we found out you had the seer taking over for Apocolypse, when you passed them to me that first night.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #4821
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Doom/Autumn, my initial proposal for a create a power was to use Ghost Rider's chain as a means for conversion. In the comics, he can control people with it. The counter-proposal was the possession idea, which I liked. I didn't know about Hulk's power when I chose him but instead chose him because I didn't trust my possession ability being strong enough to take over one of the telepathic characters (or they would be immune to possession as I was). So instead I went for brute strength that I hoped didn't have a lot upstairs.

When I got Hulk, I got his account and a PM listing his powers, energy available, and health. Killing a character by these means was not an easy choice. I was torn between just having him go after Doom or doing the sacrifice with immediate kill. We went with the second after a lot of deliberation and even discussing the fairness of it with Hoops. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have killed Hulk off. Bad choice and my fault.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #4822
Autumn
Head Coach

Yes, Alan, your wolf play was fantastic (hah). I couldn't figure out how you got Punisher to say all the right things at the end. You almost did overplay it, but with Vision gone all day and Scarlet Witch acting crazy you didnt have anyone to really put up a fight against you.

I think the village was really hurt by villagers doing rash things, talking in real combative terms, or not being willing to talk. I often found myself at a real loss to find the rebels because every time I was sure it seemed that it turned out to be a villager being wacky.

You guys almost pulled a real coup managing to hit Apocalypse so early. I was VERY lucky that i had decided to, and pulled off, working on my chain of command power for the first two nights or I would have missed my chance. Waking up to see the thread changed to Dominion of Doom was one of my most thrilling moments in gaming!

As someone said above, I think having all the missions, the special powers, the guard duty was a bit much. Doom just tried to keep everyone busy in the day but that was because I was only concerned about keeping anyone from killing me, and keeping Glactus alive long enough to steal his power. I dont know what I would ahve done if I was areal villager.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #4823
Autumn
Head Coach

It was too good a chance to skip, really, with Hulk. Leaving him to argue that he had been possessed when he wallopped Doom would have been almost as mean :-)
Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #4824
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

It was still a lot harder than I would have thought it would have been. What I ended up doing on the tiebreaker was to focus on the OOC statements and idiosyncratic spellings, (a search on "prolly" gave me guesses of DT and CW for one example).
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #4825
The Jackal
Coordinator

So Poli, since we both made it through, we're going to Vegas, right?
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #4826
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was worried early on that folks would look up Cable and figure out that I was a wolf.

I was the wolf that was dispatched to disrupt the first mission. There was reference to lots of Psionic energy working against the loyalists during the mission. Then, the first mission I went on, I think Galactus, it was mentioned in the write up that I attacked with Psionic energy.

Given all of the smart people that play this game, I figured someone would see that and come after me. The other wolves can tell you, early on I was paranoid.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #4827
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:

That was the catch though, as an actual rebel prelate (for a time), I felt I couldn't do much because it would become so plainly obvious that I was bad.

Frankly, the worst thing that could've happened to me was to have that "Former Prelate" label on me. I was basically dodging that the entire game and it eventually led to my demise (as I was scanned mostly for that).

JG/Phoenix did however completely save the villages tail though. The day before I banished Doom I had actually saved up enough energy to do my Banish manuever twice (it wasn't a one-and-done power). I had an order in to Banish whoever was guarding Doom like 1-2 minutes before the deadline (I think it was Punisher) then we would've walked in and 86'd Doom that night, then I would've banish anyone I wanted to that next day before I got lynched. JG/Phoenix ordered me to guard with like 20-30 minutes left before deadline though, so I couldn't use my Banish that day at all. So close.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #4828
The Jackal
Coordinator

BTW Wolves, thanks for killing all those people for me.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #4829
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW Wolves, thanks for killing all those people for me.

I figured you would have been alot nicer to me the last day for that!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #4830
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
I figured you would have been alot nicer to me the last day for that!

I almost decided to possess you instead of Vision.. I wonder how the game would've went if thatd happened..

And I was plenty nice, my alter-ego was all over you.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #4831
KWhit
Coordinator

Jeez.

What a cluster for the village. Endgame hinged on the fact that we all believed Mr F was cleared. Man oh man, that's quite a thing to get wrong.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #4832
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The alternative to possession is we could have just had you explode. If your choice is between mind control and death mind control is actually a little better - Fury, at least, got his body back.

I would have chosen death. At least then I know I only need to browse the thread lightly to see what has happened instead of actively researching it on the off chance of getting back in the game.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #4833
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I think I got maybe 4 or 5 correct and ended up tying for the most with Path. I figured that was the case.

In the first round you and path got I believe three each.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #4834
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I think we were getting a bit frustrated at one point in mid game. Our only real award from winning the first mission helped us take out Apocolypse with our night kill on night 2. If Apocolypse had just ordered someone to guard him, we wouldn't have been able to do that even. Then with Doom, you had someone guard you every night. We couldn't find a way to get to you there, so had to use the Hulk to take you out.. except it didn't..

We basically had to kill a player with Seer/Bodyguard powers 3 times before we finally got the seer out of the game. At one point I think the general consensus was there was no way we could win this even, it felt so stacked against us.

Reverse side of this -> village didn't get a good seer scan until night 4.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #4835
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Jeez.

What a cluster for the village. Endgame hinged on the fact that we all believed Mr F was cleared. Man oh man, that's quite a thing to get wrong.
shoulda belived me :P

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #4836
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Details. You were sure I was a rebel at that point anyway, so why bother helping you live?

Not really true. I got a good feeling following the couple of PMs we had but then you seemed to skip out of the team very quickly for what looked like a made-up reason so I thought that you might be worried that I had a team member scan ability. But you were pretty low down my suspicion list. It was only after you killed me (or your decisions lead to my death if you want to be all semantic about it ) that I thought you were bad. One thing I'll say about Alan's play is that he was masterful at linking himself to villagers. Because I was pretty sure he was bad I tried following the trails I thought I could see (while I was reading along. Dead). and the only real thing I could see seemed to lead to you and maybe Silver Surfer - there was nothing to suggest he was working with Cable, Ghost Rider, Beast or Kang.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #4837
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

No need to link in the thread with all that IM'ing. Ha.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #4838
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
shoulda belived me :P

But weren't you saying you were worried about him being converted? Not that our belief about him being cleared was inaccurate.

No matter, really.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #4839
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

It was a great game though I was killed way too early. It was a thought out idea to tell folks to guard others as I was hoping if there was a wolf in the prelates they would do a false guard action and expose themselves. Ihad hoped one of my prelates would cover me, but I wasn't really concerned. I thought that the rebels would want a chance to get more folks on the prelate list first before taking me out.

The first day I tried to clear Beast, as I was thinkning of adding him as a prelate. but losing that 1st mission made the hounds attack me instead. I was planning on choosing a prelate on the day I had died. Vision Ibelieve is where iwas leaning by that time.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #4840
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I wish I could have joined, but man this game seemed massive...maybe if I have like a week of downtime sometime I will read it through
Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #4841
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It is amazing how much more free time I have had at work today than the past week or two.

Have I mentioned yet how tiring this game was from the amount of involvement it took to do well?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #4842
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, had you spied on me rather than spying on Nick Fury all you would have really seen would've been my foot squashing you (I was the night-killer that night, of you).

Yep I was told you were my killer, you bastard! But had I activated Ultron it would have been a different story you stinkin rebel...
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #4843
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

ultron?

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #4844
path12
Coordinator

Ghost Rider got me. Brad will pay.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #4845
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Ghost Rider got me. Brad will pay.

WHAT?!?! Are you sure I killed you? I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I wouldn't have purposely killed anyone in this game. I'm sure, if I was somehow involved, it was an accident.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #4846
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I am afraid that I've been a wolf 4 of the last 5 games I've played and it might just come back to haunt me.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 10-21-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #4847
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I almost decided to possess you instead of Vision.. I wonder how the game would've went if thatd happened..

And I was plenty nice, my alter-ego was all over you.

would you have outed him as a rebel if you did possess him?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #4848
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
ultron?

A android/robot much like Vision. He has a long history, but basically develops a hatred of "organics" (aka humanity) and tries to wipe them out numerous times, sometimes succeeding-ddestroying a whole country I think. That is why I wanted him to have a chance to rebel against me despite what it do to the village.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #4849
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ultron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there's a link if you want to know more
Old 10-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #4850
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It is amazing how much more free time I have had at work today than the past week or two.

Have I mentioned yet how tiring this game was from the amount of involvement it took to do well?

I seriously have no idea how you kept it all straight Alan. You were all-in effort-wise from the get-go and it really paid off for us rebels.

Definitely team MVP