Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #301
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Agreed Lathum. That little scene was just poorly thought out.

Overall though, I dug the episode big time. After a piss-poor premiere, Heroes has certainly made a comeback in my mind.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #302
MikeVic
Head Coach

Maybe the writing is meant to show how dumb the characters are or something? It just seems to happen way too often. I'm afraid I'm a few more stupid things away from putting the show on the shelf, and picking it up after the season only if I hear positive reviews.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #303
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

To me it's pretty minor. I mean I don't watch Heroes for those kinds of things, so I"m willing to ignore their unrealistic nature. Inherently in a show like this, with all these powers someone could think of umpteen better things for people to do with their time/power than whatever the plot is.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #304
MikeVic
Head Coach

It depends on the show, and it sucks that I can't look past it for this show in particular. Some stuff bugs me more than others. The mimic guy's stuff wasn't bad, but Claire making those eyes and saying "it's ok to shoot me!" And Mohinder touching Tracey's hand were bigger offenders to me.

I still think the main story and some of the side stuff are solid enough to watch, but I hope they can limit the things that bug me personally.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #305
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I've enjoyed Heroes still without much complaint. I think I am much easier going about my entertainment then others here though. I've thought some of the new villains powers introduced have been kind of neat (the portal guy, the puppet guy, etc).. and have liked the way Sylar and HRG both have developed this year.

The only thing that has "bugged" me so far really has been Mohinder, but not really something that is enough to cause me to turn off the show at all.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #306
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Yeah, Monhinder bugs me in general, and I agree with what you're saying to a degree MikeVic.

I guess for me it's kind of like I'm suspending my belief in reality so far anyhow in this show, that I can just pretend in this fake world people are inherently a lot dumber than real-life.

I mean seriously, if you could turn things to gold, why are you bothering working at all? I mean who cares? I'd be at a villa on the beach with a few honeys and calling it a day.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #307
MikeVic
Head Coach

I was talking to a coworker about this (I didn't think of it)... If we know now that Linderman was fake... how did Nathan revive from that gun shot? Claire's blood? Peter touching him?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #308
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I was talking to a coworker about this (I didn't think of it)... If we know now that Linderman was fake... how did Nathan revive from that gun shot? Claire's blood? Peter touching him?

I don't recall Claire's blood being involved. Was Peter ever close to Linderman? I don't remember.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #309
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Peter kissed Nathan's forehead.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #310
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
... if they were imaginative, they'd have her want to become a cop so that she becomes a maverick cop who charges into dangerous situations and she quickly develops a rep for being a fearless cop and eventually we'd see her in the future as some police commish hellbent on stopping crime.

You mean as opposed to showing her as a maverick supergirl charge into dangerous situations and eventually we see her in the future as a vigilante out to stop dangerous superhumans?

Your idea is basically for her to do the same thing but to play it safe by only dealing with criminals that have no chance of stopping her.

Last edited by TRO : 10-23-2008 at 05:22 PM.
TRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #311
Anthony
Banned

uhhhh, yes. that's the point. she doesn't have an offensive power, just a defensive power. her power is if she was buried alive, she would suffocate, die and come back to life. over and over again.

she doesn't have the ability to take on villains with actual bad guy powers. even in the future she carried a gun.

a gun!

its the proverbial "taking a knife to a gunfight" scenario. the only person more useless on that show is Nathan's ability to fly. his power came into play only twice in the show's 3 seasons - to fly Peter into the atmosphere so Pete could explode away from harm and the other time was to save Nikki/jessica from suicide.

but its ok, Claire will one day in the future try to stop Future Peter and Sylar with a gun, knowing full well they both have the ability to regenerate.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #312
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't recall Claire's blood being involved. Was Peter ever close to Linderman? I don't remember.

Nathan got Adam's blood at the beginning of Season 2 to heal all of his burn wounds.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 10-23-2008 at 05:35 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #313
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
uhhhh, yes. that's the point. she doesn't have an offensive power, just a defensive power. her power is if she was buried alive, she would suffocate, die and come back to life. over and over again.

she doesn't have the ability to take on villains with actual bad guy powers. even in the future she carried a gun.

a gun!

its the proverbial "taking a knife to a gunfight" scenario. the only person more useless on that show is Nathan's ability to fly. his power came into play only twice in the show's 3 seasons - to fly Peter into the atmosphere so Pete could explode away from harm and the other time was to save Nikki/jessica from suicide.

but its ok, Claire will one day in the future try to stop Future Peter and Sylar with a gun, knowing full well they both have the ability to regenerate.

But Future Claire stopped Future Peter with the gun. He was laying their incapacitated was he not?

If you want to turn her into a cop so that she wins 100% of the time because you think she plays a strong enough character to make you enjoy watching her play the maverick cop role, so be it. I have seen enough of her bad acting as it is.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #314
Anthony
Banned

well since she can't take on actual villains with powers she might as well take on car thiefs and burglars. unless the show wants to keep replaying the same routine where she tries to capture a villain and she gets overpowered and needs to wait for someone else to deal with him or plays possum and hits the villain over the head with something. it's already happened twice now, how many more times you wanna watch that? lol
Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #315
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Great article on Entertainment Weekly about how to fix Heroes:

'Heroes': Five ways to fix it | Heroes | Cover Story | TV | Entertainment Weekly | 1
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #316
MikeVic
Head Coach

Uhh, is that first page what the guy wants to happen, or did I just read a spoiler for the November 10th episode?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #317
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think its a very minor spoiler for the Nov 10 show.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #318
Anthony
Banned

that all made sense, it was all true.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #319
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Uhh, is that first page what the guy wants to happen, or did I just read a spoiler for the November 10th episode?

It says right in the article that it's for the Nov. 10th show.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #320
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm glad Elle's back. And the team-up is great. They even explained something I was wondering (when Peter fell seven storeys). Not a bad episode.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #321
Thomkal
Head Coach

well I like that they are bringing them all together one side or the other after earlier episodes had them all over the place. Not sure I like the actor playing Mr. Petrelli or not yet. A bit disappointed we won't get a Parkman vs Parkman battle of the minds again

And hey is that the last we shall see of Maya? I sure hope so, what a wasted storyline.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #322
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

This was close to being the first episode that bugged me actually. Close, they saved it. What bugged me was Sylar going to save Peter, Sylar now being the one who is caught (circles with Peter/Sylar once again which is what is bugging me some) and then Sylar quickly falling for Dad's line of BS which sure made it seem like Sylar was the dumb gullible one like Peter usually is.

What saved it was the explanation of Sylar keeping Peter from dying, which gives me hope that Sylar didn't all of the sudden become someone who drops what seemed like a strong loyalty and buy's into anyone's BS. That one thing makes me think he simply is playing along with Dad, maybe feeling out the situation. Sylar clearly can't take down Dad by himself as Sylar being suspended in air powerless suggested.

Of course now we have to put up with another dumb move by a Petrelli brother (Nathan) when he flies right into Dad's hands next show I am sure.

Last thing, I do look forward to seeing how Peter gets his powers back this time. He has to at some point as I don't see a powerless Peter very interesting, and the future Peter clearly had powers (unless that timeline is already drastically changed).
Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #323
MikeVic
Head Coach

Exactly, the hint that Sylar saved Peter from falling to hs doom saved that scene and quite a bit of stupidity. The fact that two sets of characters questioned it (Claire/awesome Elle and Papa Petrelli) makes it seem like they put some thought into it.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #324
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Sylar has always seemed like they tried to make him a bit smarter than the dolts who were on the "good" side.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #325
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Although the show did have one epic brain fart in somehow getting a person overloading with electrical powers on a plane. Not sure why Nathan didn't fly after Mo either.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #326
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, how else is Elle and Claire getting to NJ from California? Drive all the way there?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #327
Izulde
Head Coach

I was thrilled to see Elle back, though ironically enough, -right- when the Elle scene happened on my TV, the entire university TV system went out.

So I had to wait till today to see it.

I didn't like Peter in the first season, I hated him in the second season and now I despise him so much I want to throw things at him whenever I see him on screen. Horrible actor, horrible character and it pisses me off that he's a central focus. I hope he doesn't get his powers back and I really hope he dies. I've never hated a character/actor combo so completely as I do that one.

I agree it was a very nice save of the dumbass falling and turning out okay.

Great to see the turtle again, too.

I actually like Parkman. Yeah the character's a dumbass, but it's believable that he's a dumbass. I think they laid the groundwork for that quite well in Season 1.

Maya I don't care if she stays or goes. Mohinder is badly acted, but the character itself is an interesting one in theory.

Mr. Petrelli I'm on the fence on myself.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #328
Anthony
Banned

Maya didn't die, as the internet rumors alluded to. she just became irrelevant (ie, lost her powers).

i hope the writers one day publicly admit that they messed up big time with that whole Maya/Maya's brother storyline being worth nothing to the show, other than to give Sylar some company on the way back to the American border and someone for Mohinder to bang. Sylar could've easily have just hitched his way back to America and not have needed the whole Maya storyline. what a complete waste.

nice episode. one thing they did superbly was the Speedster - is she gonna doublecross Parkman, or just covering her hide with Pinehurst? the camera lingered on her doubting face a little too long for it to be her trying to dupe Pinehurst. i like the way the writers introduced some major doubt there.

and there was no need for Hiro to be in this episode. its ok for the writers not to have to include every single character in every single episode. absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #329
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but seeing Hiro and Ando eat the paste made of root and dung was pretty amusing.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #330
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah I hate Peter's damn scowl-talk more each time I see it.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #331
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Speaking of every character not being on the show, any rumors out there about if/when we will see Micah and his cousin? Micah had that one scene in one show and then nothing. I guess he doesn't fit into anything on the show right now with his Mom being dead and having no connection to anyone else, still I love his power as well as his cousins so it kind of suck they are not part of this season so far.....
Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #332
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The dialogue this week was pretty horrendus. It's never been the strong point of the show, but it just really annoyed me this week. All the Petrelli family stuff just seems so forced and soap operaish.

At this point, doesn't everyone undesrtand how the Fear Guy's power works? Is it really necessary for either him or someone else announce that they are afraid every time he's in a scene?

Nice to have Elle back.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #333
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The dialogue this week was pretty horrendus. It's never been the strong point of the show, but it just really annoyed me this week. All the Petrelli family stuff just seems so forced and soap operaish.

At this point, doesn't everyone undesrtand how the Fear Guy's power works? Is it really necessary for either him or someone else announce that they are afraid every time he's in a scene?
I agree completely. I thought this article summed up my feelings pretty well:

http://www.avclub.com/content/tvclub.../eris_quod_sum

"Here's the thing, people: I'm getting really annoyed with this show. Because, bottom line, it thinks I'm stupid. It thinks we're all stupid. There's no other reason why they would always repeat what happened, right after it happened—verbalizing questions they assume we have, nay, should have, because these are the only questions you should be asking. Why else would Punchy McFearSnort have to remind us all that he senses people's fear? ("I know you're afraid, your fear is making me stronger," "Of course I'm strong: You're afraid!" "Oh yeah! Gimme somma that sweet, sweet fear, for the expressed purpose of strength." (Not verbatim.)) Why does Claire only do things when she prefaces her reasons for doing them, followd by a post-mortem discussion as to why she did them?"
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #334
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

"Then why are you so afraid?"

"What are you afraid of?"

"Your fear makes me stronger!!!!" *punch through chest*

Ugh, it's like we get it, move on. Have him do something else. Preferably off my TV screen.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #335
Anthony
Banned

i decided instead of griping about the show here, i would start a Heroes blog and keep my observations compiled over there. i'll still post here but i like the idea of having a place to keep my thoughts and opinions in one neat place.

Claire, That's Digusting - A Heroes Blog
Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #336
Danny
Head Coach

To answer the question on your blog about why Adam wasted away and Peter didn't. Peter is only 30 years old or so, Adam is hundreds of years old. Without his power he would be what he turned into when Pa Petrelli stole his power.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #337
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Well, two writers/co-executives are gone.

Link

A number of comic book fans said the Loeb hasn't put out the same kind of quality since the death of his son, so maybe a break will do him good. Looks like their hands are still all over chapter 3, so it will be chapter four before we can really start to see the new writers.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #338
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Well, two writers/co-executives are gone.

Link

A number of comic book fans said the Loeb hasn't put out the same kind of quality since the death of his son, so maybe a break will do him good. Looks like their hands are still all over chapter 3, so it will be chapter four before we can really start to see the new writers.
If the show makes it to chapter 4!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #339
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I brain farted the fact that chapter 3 was the back end of last year so chapter 3 ends after 5 more episodes. And yes, the fact that I have zero clue what they are leading up to for the fall final even with a flashback episode pretty much sums up this chapter.

Link

And "Heroes" still remains pretty much the biggest winner of the 18-35 demographic so it's not going anywhere.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #340
Izulde
Head Coach

WTF? SNL pre-empted Heroes?!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #341
MikeVic
Head Coach

I liked the episode until the end. Papa better not frickin' get Hiro's frickin' power.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #342
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I always do like the flashback eps. Showed the Sylar could have been thrown in Level 5 a looong time ago, but the Company had plans for him that involved him running rampant (we had that idea, but never has it been so clearly confirmed).

And it seemed that Noah was doing with the Haitian to his wife, Arthur was doing to Angela. Wondering if Linderman actually had a conscience, or just wanted Arthur out of the way because he was becoming too unstable.

I don't think he'll get Hiro's power, because then he'd have Peter's and Hiro's power... I don't think that super-mega-fucking-powerful villain is (or at least should be) in the cards. I mean how the Hell do you stop that?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:03 AM   #343
spleen1015
Coordinator

Peter will get his powers back. If Arthur gets Hiro's powers, then Hiro will get them back as well.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #344
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I don't think he'll get Hiro's power, because then he'd have Peter's and Hiro's power... I don't think that super-mega-fucking-powerful villain is (or at least should be) in the cards. I mean how the Hell do you stop that?

He got Hiro's power when he got Peter's power since Peter already had Hiro's power. Any hero/villain can easily be stopped. The Haitian.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #345
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I always do like the flashback eps. Showed the Sylar could have been thrown in Level 5 a looong time ago, but the Company had plans for him that involved him running rampant (we had that idea, but never has it been so clearly confirmed).

I think the reason the orders were not to bring him in is because Patrelli wasnt going to lockup her own son. It was a much more interesting show than I expected.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #346
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, this episode changed my view of Noah a bit. And I'm glad they made Elle look good. More Elle please.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #347
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
More Elle please.

Yes, please.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #348
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, great episode. Everything is starting to fit a little cleaner and some loose ends are tidying up.

Anyone else think this second eclipse will cause a loss of powers for a certain amount of time? Something like a "worldwide Haitian" pause. And, at this point, all the foreshadowing for people like Peter and Hiro (both told to be heroes without using their powers numerous times in earlier episodes) will come into play as those two start winning the "no-powers" battle.

Last edited by Arles : 11-11-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #349
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I think this was my favorite episode of the season so far - I always like the ones where they go back and tie up loose ends, and it was really neat to see how much stuff tied into the early, early stuff.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #350
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, this episode changed my view of Noah a bit. And I'm glad they made Elle look good. More Elle please.

I think Noah was starting to become too much of a "good guy" type and the writers (smartly) moved him back to the amoral center.