So what are these nasty rumors?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #102
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
So what are these nasty rumors?

I was wondering that as well. Maybe I suck at the internets, but all I could find was a rumor about him having a heart attack sometime during the season. I'm not sure that qualifies as a "nasty" rumor.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #103
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
I was wondering that as well. Maybe I suck at the internets, but all I could find was a rumor about him having a heart attack sometime during the season. I'm not sure that qualifies as a "nasty" rumor.

I saw in several places he may have interest in coaching Notre Dame.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post

I'm not sure if it was what Noop was referring to, but there are rumors out there that he was caught cheating with a coed and that this was part of a pattern of behavior. Like I said, I put little stock in that rumor considering that Florida was willing to have him hang around the program, although I did find his wording about his faith interesting when he first announced that he was retiring.

Anyone know if any of the stations are carrying his press conference today?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #105
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The rumor was the big C and the person who emailed me about that has been spot on with his information.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #106
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

live_event

For press conference.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #107
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am almost positive this PC is to save 2010 recruiting. Since the announcement Josh Shaw has recommitted. No word on Elam or how Powell stands but I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up not ever coming back.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #108
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am almost positive this PC is to save 2010 recruiting. Since the announcement Josh Shaw has recommitted. No word on Elam or how Powell stands but I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up not ever coming back.

I agree because its seems like they realized that with his announcement yesterday their recruiting class will get poached. IF this is about stress I can not see him ever going back to Florida(If he ever coaches again) because he will be dealing with Alabama, Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Florida State and to a less extent Miami to contend with now.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #109
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I agree because its seems like they realized that with his announcement yesterday their recruiting class will get poached. IF this is about stress I can not see him ever going back to Florida(If he ever coaches again) because he will be dealing with Alabama, Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Florida State and to a less extent Miami to contend with now.

He has wiggle room now in case he wants to come back, but I don't see it. He should just take the June Jones route and go to Hawaii. Become a king there, live in paradise and occasionally crack the BCS.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #110
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

His answers seem to be leaving plenty of room for him to retire again after the bowl game. I don't see this conference doing that much good in salvaging this class.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #111
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I am listening to the press conference and you know what I fucking hate the Florida Gators. This shit is nothing but a farce... they realized that their recruiting class was toast so then hatched a plan to give them a year to find their coach. I can not see how this helps at all because the way Urban is talking right now gives me the vibe he is going to stay on until NSD then retire.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #112
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
The rumor was the big C and the person who emailed me about that has been spot on with his information.

I had read this as well, but mostly from Georgia fans (no offense GrantDawg), so hadn't put much stock into it.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #113
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
What a maroon.

You know Bugs Bunny has copyright on this saying right?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #114
Butter
Coordinator

Not that I don't take heart problems seriously, but Urban Meyer is quite the drama queen. Big time. Can't say I'll be sad to see him go if he ultimately does retire. If this was a ploy by UF to save their recruiting class, I would think this would REALLY hurt them in the future with kids who think they are coming to play for Meyer, but then he retires after NSD.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #115
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Guy is a massive fucking attention whore. If you want to retire then fucking retire. If you want to coach then fucking coach. Seems someone got their panties in a twist after losing the SEC Championship game and realized he wasn't getting the attention he wanted.

I have no problems with a guy retiring for stress, I just don't need to hear some asswad who has made millions coaching for a school that has a massive edge in recruiting and postseason alliances whining about it. Stress is working construction 60 hours a week so you can put food on the table for your kids and pay your rent. Boo-Fucking-Hoo I lost the SEC Championship game and my QB is a Senior.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-28-2009 at 09:43 AM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #116
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think he should seek Brett Favre's advice before making any further moves.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Stress is where you find it

Fixed that for you.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #118
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Guy is a massive fucking attention whore. If you want to retire then fucking retire. If you want to coach then fucking coach. Seems someone got their panties in a twist after losing the SEC Championship game and realized he wasn't getting the attention he wanted.

I have no problems with a guy retiring for stress, I just don't need to hear some asswad who has made millions coaching for a school that has a massive edge in recruiting and postseason alliances whining about it. Stress is working construction 60 hours a week so you can put food on the table for your kids and pay your rent. Boo-Fucking-Hoo I lost the SEC Championship game and my QB is a Senior.

Welcome to Urban, he was that way as coach for the U of U and it's part of the reason I hate the man, can't fault his coaching but the things he does screams attention whore.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That worked well for Kansas basketball fans

I'm ok with how that worked out. Turns out Bill Self is a pretty good coach, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #120
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I wonder if this announcement is just to preempt the news of his affair with Tiger Woods.

Gold

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #121
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Personally, I think he really re-thought it, and will be coaching in the fall. After next season? Who knows. I'd put the under on 4 years. I think stays three, and every year he gets hammered by the press with "stay or go." He'll never coach anywhere else, though. I think he will walk away before 50 and never return.

He changed his mind for three factors:

1) He wasn't sure he could completely walk away, and he knew if Florida moved on, he wouldn't have it in him to start again somewhere else.

2) Practice reminded him why he loves the game. He knew if he didn't give it a shot returning, he'd always regret it.

3) Tebow broke off their engagement last week, and he was finally getting over the trama (ok, that one is a joke).

The real 3) Foley wouldn't give up on him coming back. Foley and the U president kept pitching ideas at him. They didn't want to lose him, and they knew that they couldn't hire someone with good credentials with him still on campus. They probably told him that even if he took the full season off next year, they'd wait. I don't think he will, but that might have been the thing that put it over the top. If they were more willing to put the whole program on hold for him than move on, then he couldn't give it up.

Personally, I'm conflicted. As a Georgia fan, I'd love him to go and UF hire, I don't know, Mike Shula? I also think this guy has damaged goods written all over him, so if I were a Gator fan I'd at least secretly be pissed even if I'm "rah, rah"ing in public.

On the flip side, I think most of the coaches are insane. They need to learn to take a breath. I love the comment that someone made on tv about being with a former coach calling a game, and during the game a big deal was made about the coach that "slept in his office 7 nights a week, and never took a week of all year." During the break, the old coach looked at the announcer and said "that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. How hard is to tell a kid you go block there? Go home at 6, play with your kids and go to sleep." Learn to delegate and get some reasonable level of rest.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd love him to go and UF hire, I don't know, Mike Shula?

Ray Goof maybe?

Quote:
Learn to delegate and get some reasonable level of rest.

Ain't too many folks I'd trust with my livelihood enough to do much delegating either really.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #123
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Personally, I'm conflicted. As a Georgia fan, I'd love him to go and UF hire, I don't know, Mike Shula? I also think this guy has damaged goods written all over him, so if I were a Gator fan I'd at least secretly be pissed even if I'm "rah, rah"ing in public.

I think the Gator boosters are very upset at Urban. In fact, I just talked to one who is a major booster and he doesn't think Urban will ever coach again at Florida. They are trying to salvage their class, but it is looking rough with multiple recruits about to jump ship. Elam was just the first.