Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Autumn
Head Coach

Needing Those Positive Thoughts

I just got word that my niece was just helicoptered to the hospital in a diabetic coma. She's 8 years old, and nobody had any idea she had juvenile diabetes. But apparently her numbers were so bad she had gone unresponsive. I have no idea wtf is going on but I'm freaking out. This would be a good time to have two cars, as I would just jump in it and start driving (she's two hours away), but as it is I've got to figure out how to do things with my family involved. I'm not a religious person, but prayers and positive thoughts are welcome.

Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
oykib
College Starter

You've got my prayers.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Swaggs
Coordinator

Sent your way.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hang in there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

Your family is my prayers.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Your family is in my prayers.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Prayers sent, wishing you and your family the best.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Autumn
Head Coach

She's responding to the doctors, breathing is back to normal and they were able to start getting some IV into her (she was so dehydrated they had a hard time getting a vein). So that's all good news, in its own way.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

She's in our thoughts.

Can you rent a car?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
SteveMax58
College Starter

Oh man...how terrifying. Hoping for the best here.

Hang in there, sounds like some positive (and hopeful) news.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Autumn
Head Coach

Talked to my dad. It sounds like she's out of the woods, to some degree. I spent the afternoon not knowing if I was going to get a call that she died. Now they're just talking about how long she'll have to stay there, her diagnosis, etc. I much prefer hearing that.

It sounds like it was in the nick of time my dad called the ambulance this morning. She had gone from seeming like she had a flu but no fever, to non-responsive and barely breathing. I can't imagine what my sister was feeling. Everybody enjoy their kids tonight, even if they're being total brats like mine. It's not so hard to lose them.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yikes. Glad to hear it's looking better Autumn.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Oh my... I am SO sorry she and your entire extended family had to go through that episode. I hope the news continues to get better and better. You and your family care certainly in my thoughts and prayers.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Wow, how scary. Glad to hear things are looking better. She'll be in my prayers tonight.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Bad-example
College Starter

I hope your niece gets well soon.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here's hoping for a quick recovery. Very scary day for your family.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yikes, happy to see the improving news.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
RainMaker
General Manager

Happy to see things getting better. Sure puts perspective on life, family, and how quickly they can be taken from us.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

My daughter is nine and can only imagine what it would feel like. Great that its looking better.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

omg, my heart dropped after reading the first post. Glad to hear she's doing better. Thoughts and prayers sent your way.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Sending out some well wishes and prayers. It is definitely the worst to see kids suffer.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
Telle
College Starter

Oh wow.. I can't imagine going through that. My heart goes out to you and your familiy.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

sent
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Yikes!

I had this happen to a friend of mine a few years ago. She's about my age and got diagnosed (finally) with Type I diabetes. But it took her going into a coma to figure it out. Actually, something similar happened with my brother-in-law, too, but he was about 21 when he was diagnosed.

Scary times, glad things sound like they're on their way to stabilization.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
tarcone
Coordinator

Autumn, Im so happy she came out ok relatively speaking.

I want you to know that if you need someone to talk too, I am available. I have type 1 diabetes. It is a very tough disease. Not only physically, but emotionally and psychologically. She will be frustrated and mad and depressed. Her whole life has just changed. It has done a complete 180. She has to rely on insulin to live. Luckily, medical technology has come a long way. I used to have to take 4 or 5 shots a day. Now Im on a pump. No shots. Greatest thing ever. And they are coming up with pumps that read your blood sugar levels and adjust your insulin input accordingly.
Medically she will be ok if she monitors her blood sugar and sees all her doctors.
On the other hand, this a very traumatic event. Like I said, her life has changed dramatically. Please get informed and be positive with her. One thing I cant stand is when someone tells me I cant eat something. I can eat anything. Sometimes it may not be the best for me, but I can adjust my insulin intake accordingly. I am not limited. I love chocolate. I probably eat too much. But I can still eat it.
She needs a lot of support and love right now and the rest of her life. Please be the best Uncle ever and be someone that she can lean on.
Also, your sister will need help also. She will get frustrated and mad and scared. Your niece will battle her over this. And it will happen a lot. Support her and love her. She needs it as well. Her life has just changed.

Your families lives have just changed. Educate yourselves. Dont tell your niece she cant eat that chocolate bunny at Easter. What 8 year old wants to hear that. Everyone else can, she will think, why cant I? She can. Maybe not the whole thing, but an ear here, and a foot there. You get the idea. Moderation is key.

Your niece can live a long and healthy life. But she will need help. I was 20 when I was diagnosed. I was in denial for many years. Not sure how I survived. It really affected me. More emotionally and psychologically then physically. I didnt have a great support system. But, like I said I was in denial. She will need someone who is not real close to the situation, like her Mom. Get yourself educated. Be someone she can talk to. Her Mom may not be that person because she is so close to the situation. And your sister will be affected as well.

If you have any questions, PM me. I am more then happy to help. I have 24 years of experience with this sucky disease. Been through some scary times. A car accident when my blood sugar went low. Laser surgery on my eyes, as the disease has affected my sight.

Good luck. And wish your niece the best. She can do it. And can live a normal life. Dont let her think she is different. She isnt. Thousands and thousands of kids have this disease.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #27
Autumn
Head Coach

Thanks so much, everyone. And thanks, particularly, Tarcone. I'm just starting to shift into starting to think about this disease and how it's going to change her life. Right now, shots seem wonderful, fantastic, great, compared to what almost happened. But I know it won't be too long before things return to normal and the enormity of what she's now dealing with hits home. I will do just as you say, and start learning.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #28
cougarfreak
College Starter

Very glad for the positive news.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #29
Schmidty
Coordinator

Sorry I missed this before. I'm glad to hear that things are getting better. Just said a prayer for her and all of your family, because juvenile diabetes is still a very rough thing.

Oh, and even though she's still away for a few more days, I am definitely thankful for my daughter and her health. I guess that sounds selfish in a way, but I think you know what I mean.

Anyway, like I said, you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.