Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #201
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
This is why I am all for changing the rule. I don't believe it serves a purpose in this day and age. A situation like this can serve to point out how silly the rule is, but I'm not willing to go so far as to say the rule should be ignored. In fact, it would be irresponsible to ignore the rule since other have gotten bit by it.

To be sure, I've heard about this happening before and am shocked it's still going on. That's part of my point. I agree with you, until the rule is changed it has to be enforced but this didn't just come up today.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #202
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Pointless analogy. There is not rule about signing scorecards in the Super Bowl so asking about the reaction is meaningless. Part two is also wrong. You can't just decide a rule is stupid and stop enforcing it. You can decide a rule is stupid and get it taken off the books though. Ever year there are at least a couple of people that get DQ'd for scorecard infractions. This isn't a technicality pulled out just to penalize Wie. I agree that the rule is stupid, but it is on the books and everybody plays by the rule. Play by the rule or try to get it changed. Those are the only available options I see.

I don't think she should get a pass, I just think the rule is stupid and should be repealed. Nobody should be punished for a signature again.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #203
chesapeake
College Starter

The rule still has validity today because the camera isn't on every player every minute of every round. Unless you are Tiger Woods.

If you are not Tiger, you may be the only one who was there and paying attention when you accidentally played the wrong ball out of the rough. So, you have to either call a penalty on yourself or you have to decide to cheat. Signing the scorecard at the end of the round at the appointed time puts you definitively on record. Allowing someone to sign the scorecard "later," maybe that evening or the next morning, allows the person to see if they got away with it. If someone caught on, plausible deniability -- "I meant to declare it, but I forgot to sign the scorecard. Oops!"

And, honestly, this is the rule for every level of competitive golf. Wie has done it correctly literally hundreds, if not thousands, of times before. She screwed up. Again. I have no sympathy.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #204
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But why should the signature matter? Couldn't you achieve the same thing by formalizing how the scorecard is given to officials? And while there may not be camera's on every shot, there are tour officials and scores are being kept outside of the individual golfer's card.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #205
chesapeake
College Starter

A signature is a long-accepted way of taking personal responsibility for the contents of a document. It means that you consciously accept the consequences of what you have submitted. And it takes about 1.4 seconds.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #206
chesapeake
College Starter

I should clarify -- I have no sympathy for Wie on the DQ. I do have tremendous sympathy for her as a child (now young adult) who, in my judgment, has been horribly misused by her parents and their hangers-on. Could you imagine being a huge failure in the eyes of many -- even to the point of being reviled by some -- at the ripe old age of 18? Her parents should be deeply ashamed of themselves for having made this happen.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #207
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Even if you want to keep the signature, why not have an official that checks the cards as they're turned in for signatures?

Also, are the cards the official score or does that come from tour officials?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #208
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
... and so, the rest of them don't like her. It is an old rule.

And between the whining done by third parties about her getting DQ'ed for a rule that even I (who doesn't golf) knew and her general spoiled brat behavior in the past ("I got an owwie, I can't play ... but I can practice") frankly I officially don't like the bitch either.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-21-2008 at 11:06 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #209
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3498905

Quote:
Fresh off a disqualification on the LPGA Tour, Michelle Wie has decided to tee it up against the men, again.

Wie will play next week in the Legends Reno-Tahoe Open, the first time she'll play on the PGA Tour this year, tournament organizers said.

The Reno-Tahoe Open starts July 31 at Montreux Golf & Country Club. The Nevada tournament is one of the weakest fields on the PGA Tour, held opposite the World Golf Championship in Ohio. Steve Flesch won the Reno-Tahoe Open last year.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-21-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #210
Ryan S
Quarterback

This is probably the best chance she will ever have to make the cut in a PGA Tour event as the Bridgestone Invitational WGC event is taking place at the same time.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #211
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I suspect the LPGA has gotten a lot of heat about the Wie disqualification, so it was on their front page.

Quote:
Wie was notified following the conclusion of today's third round in order to provide her the opportunity to give an account of yesterday's second round situation. The LPGA first heard of the violation mid-morning today, but it was after Wie had begun third-round play, and action could not be further taken until she had completed 18 holes and been given the opportunity to recount the events of Friday's second round.

The 2008 LPGA Rules of Play define the scoring area as the roped area defining the boundary of the scoring tent. Supplementary rules of play stipulate that the scoring area boundary may instead be defined by a white line, which has the effect of decreasing the size of the scoring area. The white line was not deemed necessary this week and was not put in place, and as a result the boundary is the roped area.

Prior to signing her card, Wie had left the defined scoring area according to item No. 3 resulting in her subsequent disqualification.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #212
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Michelle Wie has been making news as she is competing in the Q-School for the LPGA. I was curious about that since I knew she wasn't a LPGA Tour player and she had gotten by on exemptions. I then read the wiki about her. She's not that good, is she (compared to her earlier hype)? And rather controversal.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #213
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

shes doing well in Q School - 2nd place, top 20 get there tour cards with 1 round to go.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #214
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Michelle Wie breaks through at Lorena Ochoa Invitational for 1st professional win - ESPN

Wie capped off her breakthrough year in her first full year on tour by winning her first tournament. She's 14th on the money list and 9th in scoring average. Not bad for a 20-year-old.

Is there a hot Elmo doll this year we should stock up on?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #215
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sobel: After first win, Michelle Wie headed in right direction - ESPN

He's talking to HHMNBN (WrongWay)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-15-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #216
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Michelle Wie @ the US Women's Open so far:
R1- 74 R2- 66!! R3 +3 through 7 and 4 shots off the lead

so then tomorrow 66 again to win? I hope

really though as inconsistent as Wie is, I really root for her, even more now then when all the crazy hype and insane expectations started as a 12 year old (lol)

She's attended Stanford since Fall 07 and graduated last month during which time she earned her tour card (2009) and posting her 1st 2 tour wins (2009 & 2010)

I feel like if she wasnt 6 foot tall and hitting 300y @ age 12 we would be seeing her accomplishments so far as pretty amazing. Unfortunately she did not meet expections or progress fast enough while attending college and being a pro at the same time. She regressed. Her body , and thus her swing changed. Everyone wonders what happened to Michelle Wie, or assumes she never was that great.

I have no idea where she will end up, but I'd like to remind people shes only 22 years old (don't most careers begin around then?). She finally finished college, and if she finds the motivation and mental game I think she could find what once was rather quickly again.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #217
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, she's still young. She's working with Meg Mallon and seems to have humbled a great deal, even since her parents got out of her way and she seems to have friends on tour. A long way from the days of insisting she wanted to play on the PGA Tour and never wanted anything to do with the women.

She's had a rough year with the missed cuts and all, but...it's golf, she's young and if she doesn't burn out of it, there's a strong possibility that she'll turn into a consistent winner on the tour. But then, Paula Creamer and Morgan Pressel; her contemporaries haven't exactly been setting the world either.

So there is that.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #218
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

well.. I jinxed that shit.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #219
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, she's still young. She's working with Meg Mallon and seems to have humbled a great deal, even since her parents got out of her way and she seems to have friends on tour. A long way from the days of insisting she wanted to play on the PGA Tour and never wanted anything to do with the women.

She's had a rough year with the missed cuts and all, but...it's golf, she's young and if she doesn't burn out of it, there's a strong possibility that she'll turn into a consistent winner on the tour. But then, Paula Creamer and Morgan Pressel; her contemporaries haven't exactly been setting the world either.

So there is that.

I'm not sure why, but I always felt Michelle was always very humble. It kinda seemed like she was just being a good daughter and doing & saying what her parents told her too. It would make sense that they would push(shove) her in that PGA Tour high and mighty position since they wanted to capitalize on her so badly.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #220
Logan
Head Coach

Can't believe WW has been banned for 6.5 years.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #221
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Can't believe WW has been banned for 6.5 years.

I remember he came back under a different name and just couldn't help himself and started a second Michelle Wie thread. I never understood his obsession with her and why he couldn't just not talk about her.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #222
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I remember he came back under a different name and just couldn't help himself and started a second Michelle Wie thread. I never understood his obsession with her and why he couldn't just not talk about her.

Under his new account, he also showed is idiocy in the thread for The Office, where he insisted that the actors were terrible because they kept looking at the camera. He apparently did not understand the documentary concept.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #223
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Under his new account, he also showed is idiocy in the thread for The Office, where he insisted that the actors were terrible because they kept looking at the camera. He apparently did not understand the documentary concept.

I'm not sure my brain is capable of going to a place where it's possible that someone that stupid actually exists in this universe.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #224
Logan
Head Coach

I just read the thread in question (it was the one where the Office was paired with My Name is Earl).

Yeah, it was possible.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #225
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Man, that name brings back memories...yikes.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #226
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd like to think that somewhere out there, he has become RightWay. It's the optimist in me.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #227
Logan
Head Coach

Wonder if our friend is shedding a tear into his Elmo today with the Augusta news?

Last edited by Logan : 08-20-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #228
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hahahaha...
Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #229
digamma
Torchbearer

What's up?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #230
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

LOL...Li missed the cut!
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #231
TroyF
Coordinator

Amazing thing about Wie is she is still so young. 24? Lewis didn't win a major until 25 or 26. Hell, Lewis has 2 major wins right now and Wie is about 4 1/2 years younger with 1.

Good for Michelle, happy she got the title.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #232
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Amazing thing about Wie is she is still so young. 24? Lewis didn't win a major until 25 or 26. Hell, Lewis has 2 major wins right now and Wie is about 4 1/2 years younger with 1.

Good for Michelle, happy she got the title.

She's also first in terms of money winner as well. I doubt she isn't the #1 ranked women's player that long from now. Leave it to sports to make it seem like someone is a failure at 24.