Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #2451
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

They should do a sitcom after they retire called Manning Up - about the life of a couple former QB's post retirement.. Like a football tinged Seinfeld.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #2452
Thomkal
Head Coach

Aldon Smith gets a 9 game suspension, Vikings WR Simpson gets 3.

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith gets nine-game suspension | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

Vikings WR Simpson gets 3-game suspension by NFL - Yahoo Sports
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #2453
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Dude made a bomb threat at an airport?

He's lucky he's a fucking NFL player or he'd be facing federal charges. He ought to thank his lucky stars he got JUST 9 games.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #2454
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Dude made a bomb threat at an airport?

He's lucky he's a fucking NFL player or he'd be facing federal charges. He ought to thank his lucky stars he got JUST 9 games.

+1
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #2455
Kodos
Resident Alien

Waits patiently for Sun Tzu's meltdown...
Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #2456
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
+1

+2
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #2457
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I fully expect the Raiders to throw Derek Carr to the wolves. It's a shame when a QB is taken by a team with a coach and GM that have to win.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #2458
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Two thoughts...

How dysfunctional are things in Dallas when Kyle Orton would rather play in Buffalo?

Inside the NFL is now on the NFL Network. Isn't that kind of repetitive since the whole network is about the inside of the NFL?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #2459
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

What sense does this make for the Bills?

Manuel might not be the answer. But what does Kyle-Orton-without-training-camp really give you? Does he make you a playoff team?

I like Kyle Orton. I think that he's either a slightly under-qualified starter or a slightly over-qualified backup. But if he's your play, he has to be the play from the beginning of camp. He can't just come in at the end to ruin your young QB's confidence.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #2460
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
What sense does this make for the Bills?

Manuel might not be the answer. But what does Kyle-Orton-without-training-camp really give you? Does he make you a playoff team?

I like Kyle Orton. I think that he's either a slightly under-qualified starter or a slightly over-qualified backup. But if he's your play, he has to be the play from the beginning of camp. He can't just come in at the end to ruin your young QB's confidence.

I agree. The signing makes no sense from Buffalo's point-of-view. Orton will have had no time to learn the playbook or develop any kind of timing with the receivers and offensive line.

Though it ultimately doesn't matter. Unless they go deep in the playoffs, I suspect the new owner will fire Marrone and Whaley at the end of the season.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #2461
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So without attempting to open the can of worms on the fairness of the Aldon Smith suspension, how does this response affect player reaction moving forward? Last season, Smith "voluntarily" checked into a rehab program and missed five games. The NFL has stated that this held no bearing in their deliberation over the length of his subsequent suspension.

I think we can all safely say that the rehab check-in was PROBABLY no more than lip service to attempt to reduce the suspension. Moving forward however, I think it's fair to assume that a player in similar circumstances will NEVER do that again, since the league will not consider it.

Regardless of the right or wrong of the decision by the NFL to disregard that when determining the length of suspension, isn't it a loss as a whole to dissuade players from taking necessary, proactive steps to combat this sort of thing in the future?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #2462
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So without attempting to open the can of worms on the fairness of the Aldon Smith suspension, how does this response affect player reaction moving forward? Last season, Smith "voluntarily" checked into a rehab program and missed five games. The NFL has stated that this held no bearing in their deliberation over the length of his subsequent suspension.

I think we can all safely say that the rehab check-in was PROBABLY no more than lip service to attempt to reduce the suspension. Moving forward however, I think it's fair to assume that a player in similar circumstances will NEVER do that again, since the league will not consider it.

Regardless of the right or wrong of the decision by the NFL to disregard that when determining the length of suspension, isn't it a loss as a whole to dissuade players from taking necessary, proactive steps to combat this sort of thing in the future?

They may say publicly that it had no bearing but the only ones who truly know are Smith, his agent, the NFL and the NFLPA. Without the rehab, Smith may have gotten a year for his screw-up. If that's the case, that information will trickle down to the players privately.

If Smith doesn't challenge the suspension. Then I think it would be a good guess that the rehab did factor into a shorter penalty.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #2463
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
They may say publicly that it had no bearing but the only ones who truly know are Smith, his agent, the NFL and the NFLPA. Without the rehab, Smith may have gotten a year for his screw-up. If that's the case, that information will trickle down to the players privately.

If Smith doesn't challenge the suspension. Then I think it would be a good guess that the rehab did factor into a shorter penalty.

He did appeal and was denied.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #2464
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
He did appeal and was denied.

Didn't they just suspend him either yesterday or the day before? Seems like a quick rejection for what is two separate suspensions...

This is from Pro Football Talk:

Quote:
The NFL has developed a habit over the years of resolving suspensions based on offseason developments before the start of the next regular season. For Smith, who’ll have appeal rights, it becomes more and more difficult to get everything resolved in the next nine days.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ts-a-decision/

Last edited by BillJasper : 08-30-2014 at 01:30 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #2465
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Looks like it was a negotiated settlement:

Quote:
The National Football League Players Association negotiated on Smith’s behalf, and as a result, he will be allowed to be on hand at the team facility, something the 49ers and general manager Trent Baalke, who has become close to Smith, hoped would be the case. Smith can train at the facility and attend meetings but not practice with teammates or appeal the ruling.

49ers’ Aldon Smith receives nine-game suspension from NFL - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

The article later says that Goodell would take his rehab stint into consideration when handing out the punishment:

Quote:
Smith, 24, missed five games last season after entering an alcohol rehabilitation center. That followed a September DUI arrest when his pickup truck came to an abrupt halt in the front yard of a San Jose home. A month later, Goodell said the rehab stint would be considered when doling out punishment.

Last edited by BillJasper : 08-30-2014 at 01:39 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #2466
Thomkal
Head Coach

James Harrison announced his retirement today, interestingly enough after not being able to agree to a deal with my beloved Cardinals.

Former Steelers Super Bowl hero James Harrison announces retirement | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

Also last round of roster cuts today-so report any interesting/surprising ones here. No real surprises for the Cards. Jets cut former 2nd round WR Stephen Hill...would not surprise me if Carolina gives him a try given their woeful WR core
Old 08-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #2467
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Sam got cut.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #2468
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Sam got cut.

aww that sucks
Old 08-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #2469
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Sam got cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
aww that sucks

Yes and no. Hopefully it'll prove to some internet dufuses that the NFL doesn't have a gay agenda. He probably would've made the team if it wasn't for the other guy (can't remember his name offhand) who could play multiple DL positions.

I think he'll get claimed by someone or end up back with the Rams, on their practice squad.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #2470
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes and no. Hopefully it'll prove to some internet dufuses that the NFL doesn't have a gay agenda. He probably would've made the team if it wasn't for the other guy (can't remember his name offhand) who could play multiple DL positions.

I think he'll get claimed by someone or end up back with the Rams, on their practice squad.

From what I've read, seems very likely someone will sign him-probably the teams who admitted after the draft they would have signed him if he hadn't been drafted-I think the Patriots and Giants amongst others.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #2471
Dutch
"Dutch"

He looked pretty good in the highlight reels I saw. Not sure about the rest of the story so far though. Still, you take a flier in the 7th round, now give him some time and see what he develops into.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #2472
Danny
Head Coach

If Sam contributed on special teams he probably would not have got cut . He'll probably latch on with a team that had less defensive line depth than the rams
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #2473
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Yeah, Ethan Westbrooks has looked even better than Sam and he was primarily up against 1st and 2nd stringers vs. Sam's 2nd and 3rd string. That said many of the Rams boards I frequent were unhappy that we let Sam go. They were hoping one of the other vets on the line would be let go rather than Sam.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #2474
BillJasper
Pro Starter

49ers are having a rough off-season:

Report: Ray McDonald arrested for domestic violence | ProFootballTalk

Sam went unclaimed and can now sign with the Rams practice squad.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #2475
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ryan Mallett traded to the Texans for surprisingly just a sixth rounder. Case Keenum released to make room for him.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #2476
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ryan Mallett traded to the Texans for surprisingly just a sixth rounder. Case Keenum released to make room for him.

Quote:
Rapoport did say the Texans were forced to Trade instead of claiming Mallett because the Cowboys were also interested in the backup quarterback.

If all true, Dallas must have not been that interested.

http://abc13.com/288704/

Last edited by Matthean : 08-31-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #2477
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Quote:
Before the process reaches that point, the case against McDonald will have to develop. ESPN reported in the aftermath of the announcement of the new policy that an “offense” will arise only after final adjudication of the criminal case, which suggests that a civil settlement with the victim that results in no prosecution could help the player escape punishment.

Whew, for a second there I thought he was screwed, but now he can threaten the fuck out of that bitch and work it out (financially) behind closed doors.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #2478
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Whew, for a second there I thought he was screwed, but now he can threaten the fuck out of that bitch and work it out (financially) behind closed doors.

You had to figure the policy couldn't have that much in the way of teeth.

Domestic violence is some fucked up shit. It wouldn't surprise me to see (over the next couple years) a strong anti-NFL voice develop among women that culminates in some pressure on advertisers over social media and such threatening a boycott unless the policy is given more teeth.

I mean look - obviously a woman COULD make something up, so I suppose there has to be some sort of standard of proof before the NFL can take action, but I dunno.

We'll see.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-31-2014 at 02:13 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #2479
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
You had to figure the policy couldn't have that much in the way of teeth.

Domestic violence is some fucked up shit. It wouldn't surprise me to see (over the next couple years) a strong anti-NFL voice develop among women that culminates in some pressure on advertisers over social media and such threatening a boycott unless the policy is given more teeth.

I mean look - obviously a woman COULD make something up, so I suppose there has to be some sort of standard of proof before the NFL can take action, but I dunno.

We'll see.

Of course there has to be a standard of proof. Otherwise you might see someone like Latham making accusations against nick foles
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #2480
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

We'll see.

You are absolutely correct, but obviously, we know how that goes in the real world. Oh well, not my problem.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #2481
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

He hasn't looked very good so a 6th seems fair. Basically buying a cannon with no accuracy.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #2482
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Rams ought to grab up Keenum.

FUCK EA
Old 08-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #2483
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

Unless they see him as a long-term solution at the position, I don't see the point. I think they'll be okay with Shaun Hill and Austin Davis.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #2484
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Chiefs resign Alex Smith. 4 years/68 million with 45 million guaranteed.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #2485
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I thought Keenum looked pretty good in his time under center last year. I guess the way he tailed off after a strong first few games kinda made the Texans sour on him. Thought he would make a solid backup and maybe eventual starter in a play action down field passing scheme.

FUCK EA
Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #2486
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
He hasn't looked very good so a 6th seems fair. Basically buying a cannon with no accuracy.

Yeah, I wasn't surprised, if they were able to have gotten a 3rd or 4th he would have been dealt long ago.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-31-2014 at 11:24 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #2487
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought Keenum looked pretty good in his time under center last year. I guess the way he tailed off after a strong first few games kinda made the Texans sour on him. Thought he would make a solid backup and maybe eventual starter in a play action down field passing scheme.

My understanding is that many young QBs have a strong first couple of games because there isn't much film on them, and once defenses get a chance to study them and adapt they tail off like this, if they can't adapt to a bigger playbook and make themselves harder to read.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #2488
mrtourette
High School JV

Replacing Matt Schaub probably makes you look better than you actually are.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #2489
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtourette View Post
Replacing Matt Schaub probably makes you look better than you actually are.

+1
Old 09-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #2490
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Michael Sam won't be signed to Rams practice squad - SBNation.com

Doesn't look like the Rams will add Sam to their practice squad. I wonder how many drafted players didn't end up on a roster or practice squad? There can't be that many.

I've seen a few stories that basically infer that Sam go the "Tebow treatment" in that he's better than a lot of guys on the practice squad on different teams, but when the publicity of signing him is taken into account - it's just not worth the headache.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #2491
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Michael Sam won't be signed to Rams practice squad - SBNation.com

Doesn't look like the Rams will add Sam to their practice squad. I wonder how many drafted players didn't end up on a roster or practice squad? There can't be that many.

I've seen a few stories that basically infer that Sam go the "Tebow treatment" in that he's better than a lot of guys on the practice squad on different teams, but when the publicity of signing him is taken into account - it's just not worth the headache.

He may have to go to Canada to prove himself.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #2492
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Might as well cut Schaub before week one so they don't have to pay him!

Report: Raiders tab Derek Carr as starting quarterback | ProFootballTalk
Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #2493
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
My understanding is that many young QBs have a strong first couple of games because there isn't much film on them, and once defenses get a chance to study them and adapt they tail off like this, if they can't adapt to a bigger playbook and make themselves harder to read.

Like rookies in baseball too. Or pitchers going through the order for the second and third time.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #2494
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:

Adam Schefter on Twitter: Rams claimed QB Case Keenum on waivers, per team official. Rams spent a lot time researching Keenum past 24 hours.

Horn=tooted

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-02-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #2495
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think this was a good move by the Rams-he has the most potential of the free agent QB's out there(that I can think of) and who knows with the right coaches/offense could develop into a decent QB. If it doesn't work there's the draft and/or trading/signing a better one in free agency next year.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #2496
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Looks like Sam to Cowboys practice squad:

Cowboys plan to add Michael Sam to practice squad | ProFootballTalk
Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #2497
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Cool news. Hope Sam makes it with Dallas - can't think of a better defense for him to get time with
Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #2498
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Cool news. Hope Sam makes it with Dallas - can't think of a better defense for him to get time with

They definitely need the help.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #2499
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

There's a Brokeback Mountain joke around here somewhere.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #2500
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

NFL bans Jim Irsay of Indianapolis Colts six games, fines him $500K - ESPN

Pretty heavy punishment IMO. Then again I'm a Colts fan.