Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

Video of Rice knocking out his then-fiancee has leaked. It's awful. How he's playing this season is beyond me.

Ray Rice -- ELEVATOR KNOCKOUT ... Fiancee Takes Crushing Punch (Video) | TMZ.com

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. He should never play another down.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yep. He should never play another down.

The apologists in the Ravens front office should be forced to resign as well.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I think we knew Ray Rice was a piece of trash.

My question is, Goodell watched this, and felt 2 games was appropriate? We all thought he was trash, too, but he confirmed it with this.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Video of Rice knocking out his then-fiancee has leaked. It's awful. How he's playing this season is beyond me.

Ray Rice -- ELEVATOR KNOCKOUT ... Fiancee Takes Crushing Punch (Video) | TMZ.com

sickening does not even begin to explain my thoughts. The NFL and the Ravens organization should be ashamwd of themselves
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Wow. The NFL and Baltimore Ravens have really dropped the proverbial ball on this one. Two games? I don't think six games would be enough based on the video.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
BillJasper
Pro Starter

NFL and the Ravens both say they never saw the video from inside the elevator:

Video of Ray Rice Incident with Wife Janay Palmer Leaked by TMZ | Bleacher Report
Old 09-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Further proof that you can never really know these guys. I have been a huge Rice fan since his days at Rutgers and he turns out to be a piece of shit.

How the NFL saw this video and only gave him 2 games, assuming they saw it, is beyond comprehension.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- how is he not charged with a crime?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

He was charged with a crime and reached a plea agreement with the DA to avoid jail time.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fiance refused to press charges I guess - assume he bought her off?

Maybe they don't have the kind of law where the DA can press charges without the victim's consent in domestic violence cases (don't some states have laws like that)?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
He was charged with a crime and reached a plea agreement with the DA to avoid jail time.

Fucking DA's office. Complicit in this bullshit.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Travis
Pro Rookie

Yeah, assuming the team/league are being honest about not having seen this until today.

- Where was this video all along? How was this not a part of the earlier processes?

- How does TMZ get this before the league/team potentially the police?

- Given the league already made a ruling, can they revisit due to "new" evidence or would any supplemental punishment have to come from the team at this point? I'd imagine the statements from both parties are in an effort to open the door to be able to revisit the current punishment.

Last edited by Travis : 09-08-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

The police/prosecutors definitely had the video. The NFL allegedly asked them for it, but were denied.

Of course, if you believed Peter King back when the suspension was handed down, the league and the team did see the video.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The police/prosecutors definitely had the video. The NFL allegedly asked them for it, but were denied.

Of course, if you believed Peter King back when the suspension was handed down, the league and the team did see the video.

Yup!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

- Given the league already made a ruling, can they revisit due to "new" evidence or would any supplemental punishment have to come from the team at this point? I'd imagine the statements from both parties are in an effort to open the door to be able to revisit the current punishment.

I suspect the NFLPA would lose their minds
Old 09-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Glazer told the DP show that no one besides law enforcement related individuals and Ray Rice's defense team had seen the video back when the suspension was handed out. I was surprised that no one seemed to pick up on that or discuss it (not here, I mean in the general media).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I suspect the NFLPA would lose their minds

In this instance, would they? You already have at least one active NFL player speaking out saying that Rice should receive way harsher punishment (Knighton) and if they make a big stand in favor of Rice, I would hope they'd be blasted by both the players and fans for doing so.

Not saying it won't happen, but if this evidence truly hadn't been seen before, I would hope they'd want tougher punishment as well. Could see them contesting the league on what that might mean, but I hope they wouldn't see 2 games as fitting for this.

And yes, I know that's likely all entirely too naive
Old 09-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

I keep going back to the tweet by the ravens. Jeanae takes full responsibility and regrets hera part in the incident.

If rice presented it is though his girlfriend was attacking him and he acted out of instant emotion then he clearly lied. Then I think the NFL could actually do something
Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
mckerney
Coordinator

Are the Ravens even able to cut him cap wise though?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #21
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I keep going back to the tweet by the ravens. Jeanae takes full responsibility and regrets hera part in the incident.

If rice presented it is though his girlfriend was attacking him and he acted out of instant emotion then he clearly lied. Then I think the NFL could actually do something

Can't search for the quote now (it may have been on Deadspin in the "someone is lying" article they have posted) but what I saw indicated that Rice walked them through the story just as presented in the video.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #22
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

New thread.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Good idea Ben.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Ben.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #25
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

So did she do anything to him first? I don't want to watch this, because I feel like I might end up super angry.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
So did she do anything to him first? I don't want to watch this, because I feel like I might end up super angry.

I believe that's been the implied scenario (based on the "accepting responsibility for my actions" quote that was released) but I don't know that there's ever been any video released to prove it.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's interesting to compare what happened to Ray Rice, one an employee of a company, and the CEO of Centerplate, the CEO of a company.

The CEO of Centerplate is caught on camera kicking and choking a friend's dog in an elevator and is quickly forced to resign from the company he helped create.

Ray Rice is caught on camera knocking out his wife with a vicious punch in an elevator and... gets two games.

I know it's always hard to compare "real life" with "sports", but I think it's a pretty strong comparison and reflects poorly on the NFL.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #28
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Report: Ray Rice losing support in Ravens locker room | ProFootballTalk
Old 09-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #29
Calis
College Starter

Against my better judgement I decided to watch it, for those asking it does look like she slapped him outside the elevator and inside it also? Hard to tell because video is so janky, can't gauge exactly what's happening. He didn't initiate the physical confrontation but definitely escalated it.

Really bad part is even apart from the obvious hitting a women portion is how little he have a crap after she was knocked out. Essentially no reaction until he drags her out of the elevator.

I will never understand relationships like this. I'm sure this isn't a fluke occurence, just so out of my zone of the crap I want to deal with in life I can't fathom it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I believe that's been the implied scenario (based on the "accepting responsibility for my actions" quote that was released) but I don't know that there's ever been any video released to prove it.

Didn't she slap him? I thought I read that in a recap of the video...

Not that that justifies it obviously.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-08-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #31
path12
Coordinator

I drafted him on three teams as a sleeper. Now I feel like an asshole.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #32
nol
Banned

Quote:
1. Which new rule will have the most impact to the 2014 NFL Season?

I decided to lump a bunch of results of "defensive holding" and similar responses all into the "Illegal Contact" umbrella.

Illegal Contact - 15
Unsportsmanlike conduct for goalpost dunk - 4
Low Blocks - 2
Domestic Violence, Trash Talk, Replay Fumbles - 1

If only we had done IWS a week later.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Didn't she slap him? I thought I read that in a recap of the video...

May very well have, I've not invested more than a fairly cursory look at the story frankly. Since that had been downplayed to such an extent I was (mis?)remembering that it wasn't on the video.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #34
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I will never understand relationships like this. I'm sure this isn't a fluke occurence, just so out of my zone of the crap I want to deal with in life I can't fathom it.

Yeah, me neither. I also watched, and I remember thinking when all I could see was her foot still in the elevator was, what is taking so long and why is he dragging her that way? Of course, we saw the other side of that, so I know what's going on, but I was also of the opinion then that I didn't understand how you drag someone you supposedly love like that when they are hurt. Even if you're the one who did the hurting. Wouldn't you pick her up off of the ground? Carry her in your arms?

I want Rice to play again. Why? I suspect those defensive players who actually care and love their wives/GFs/etc. will just lay down the hurting.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #35
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Can't search for the quote now (it may have been on Deadspin in the "someone is lying" article they have posted) but what I saw indicated that Rice walked them through the story just as presented in the video.

If that is true and he didn't try to spin the "she was hitting me and I overreacted" line, everyone associated with this investigation needs to be fired. A clean house of anyone who knowingly understood he just cold cocked his fiance and dropped her because she was in a pissy mood. That means Ravens management, coaches, Goodell and any advisers or legal council that knew. All of them. Wipe them out.

If Ray tried the "she was all over me and I overreacted" bit and she supported him through the BS, suspend him for life.

People say I'm black and white on issues. This one is a no brainer for me. Heads need to roll and they need to roll fast. I think the prosecutor needs to be investigated as well. Charges of assault against both her and Rice? Ummm, no, you are an idiot. The grand jury said this was a felony and they are right. You should have prosecuted him like it was one.

I don't say this a lot because I think papparazzi are fairly despicable, but good on TMZ on this one.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

Supposedly he spit in her face which led to one of her slaps at him.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #37
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Not sure if this is true (read it on Twitter), but if the NFL's only interview with her was while Ray Rice was present, then I hope whoever led the investigation and/or let that happen never works any kind of meaningful job again.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #38
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I drafted him on three teams as a sleeper. Now I feel like an asshole.

Fantasy leagues everywhere ought to sanction the owners that drafted Ray Rice.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #39
Logan
Head Coach

Following up on what I wrote to Troy...

Old 09-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #40
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Fantasy leagues everywhere ought to sanction the owners that drafted Ray Rice.

I'm sanctioning myself and cutting him preemptively. I still feel like an asshole though.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

On Reporting Ray Rice | The MMQB with Peter King

This is some fantastic backtracking:

Quote:
An addendum to the Ray Rice coverage:

Earlier this summer a source I trusted told me he assumed the NFL had seen the damaging video that was released by TMZ on Monday morning of Rice slugging his then-fiancée, Janay Palmer, in an Atlantic City elevator. The source said league officials had to have seen it. This source has been impeccable, and I believed the information. So I wrote that the league had seen the tape. I should have called the NFL for a comment, a lapse in reporting on my part. The league says it has not seen the tape, and I cannot refute that with certainty. No one from the league has ever knocked down my report to me, and so I was surprised to see the claim today that league officials have not seen the tape.

I hope when this story is fully vetted, we all get the truth and nothing but the truth.

And not just the horrible choice of words, but apparently it was the league's fault that his incorrect story didn't get fixed.

Last edited by Logan : 09-08-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Not sure if this is true (read it on Twitter), but if the NFL's only interview with her was while Ray Rice was present, then I hope whoever led the investigation and/or let that happen never works any kind of meaningful job again.

Right or wrong I recall hearing that same bit of info ... but I also seem to recall hearing/reading that who was present was at her insistence.

This was not a criminal investigation (by the NFL) so their ability to dictate the terms is somewhat limited.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #43
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I want Rice to play again. Why? I suspect those defensive players who actually care and love their wives/GFs/etc. will just lay down the hurting.

They would also get a longer suspension than he got!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #44
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
They would also get a longer suspension than he got!

As long as they're not smoking pot or taking adderall, though, they'll be back this season.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #45
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Does it matter whether the NFL saw the video or not? Here are the scenarios I see:

1) They saw the video and made an absurd judgement based on it.
2) They didn't see the video because they couldn't find it.
3) They didn't see the video because they didn't look for it.

I'm not sure #2 or #3 are any better than #1, especially since I'm hearing that Rice told them everything that was in the video.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #46
bhlloy
Coordinator

Goodell should resign. Absolutely gutless decision that shows he's not fit to lead an organization like the NFL. Unfortunately the owners won't give a shit as long as he's still lining their pockets
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #47
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hell, even NFL-shill Adam Schefter is taking the league to task for this now.

Reporters turning on the hand that feeds them = you know it's bad.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's a league that effectively canonized a killer upon his recent retirement.

I'm pretty sure they really don't care -- nor does society frankly -- about this.

edit to add (hit post too quick) ... at least not enough to take away a star player.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-08-2014 at 01:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cut per ESPN
Old 09-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's a league that effectively canonized a killer upon his recent retirement.

I'm pretty sure they really don't care -- nor does society frankly -- about this.

It's the same team too - no small coincidence.

Disgraceful organization.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-08-2014 at 01:24 PM.