Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #651
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's not Eureka or Warehouse 13 that was the problem with SyFy. It's the wrestling and the 15 hours a day of Ghost Hunters and all the other crap that wasn't scifi on the station. But clearly that's not the message they got.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #652
chinaski
College Prospect

The Librarians is a steaming pile of doodoo. Such a sad waste of Jane Curtin, Bob Newhart and John Laroquette.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #653
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's not Eureka or Warehouse 13 that was the problem with SyFy. It's the wrestling and the 15 hours a day of Ghost Hunters and all the other crap that wasn't scifi on the station. But clearly that's not the message they got.

SI

I agree, but like all these cable stations they don't have the budget to fill 24hrs a day with original programming. Now maybe they should look more at rerunning BSG and get rights for Star Trek and Babylon 5 and stuff, but even still they're going to have some of that "filler" programming. Which in all honesty is alright - nobody sits down and just watches 1 TV channel all night anymore, so just as long as they have some "appointment viewing actual SciFi" I'm good.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #654
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Ping Cuervo...

One word-

Jazzercise

Spandex and sweaty cleavage. Mmmhmm.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #655
RainMaker
General Manager

Syfy reminds me of G4. They had a built-in audience that they alienated with content they weren't interested in. At least Syfy seems willing to change while G4 shrugged their shoulders and couldn't figure out why a tech/gamer channel wasn't interested in Cops reruns.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #656
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Spandex and sweaty cleavage. Mmmhmm.

Yeah, I must confess to watching that one twice.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I agree, but like all these cable stations they don't have the budget to fill 24hrs a day with original programming. Now maybe they should look more at rerunning BSG and get rights for Star Trek and Babylon 5 and stuff, but even still they're going to have some of that "filler" programming. Which in all honesty is alright - nobody sits down and just watches 1 TV channel all night anymore, so just as long as they have some "appointment viewing actual SciFi" I'm good.

Their "5 shows" are 2 miniseries and 3 actual series. That's one night of programming. What about the other 6 nights of primetime programming?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #658
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Their "5 shows" are 2 miniseries and 3 actual series. That's one night of programming. What about the other 6 nights of primetime programming?

SI
At least one of the miniseries is just a prelude to a full series, I assume they do still have other original programming they will continue to produce, and cable channels (shit, even HBO) usually only have 1 hour of original scripted programming per night, with a max of 2 (and even that's really only FX, who then tried to split into 2 separate networks once they were producing more than 1 hour of content per night.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-10-2014 at 01:19 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #659
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
At least one of the miniseries is just a prelude to a full series, I assume they do still have other original programming they will continue to produce, and cable channels (shit, even HBO) usually only have 1 hour of original scripted programming per night, with a max of 2 (and even that's really only FX, who then tried to split into 2 separate networks once they were producing more than 1 hour of content per night.)

This. And also - something is better than nothing. Gotta start somewhere.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #660
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So, of course, Selfie has just gotten better and better as the episodes already produced have been jettisoned to Hulu. I think this Fall Season has been the poster child for networks messing up by not giving shows an opportunity to find their footing before jettisoning them.

A cult sitcom that lasts for 3-4 seasons will get you much more money (esp in Blu-ray sales, etc) than a rotating door of sitcoms that get canceled after 2 months every fall.

What, is Black-ish and Marry Me the only new fall network sitcoms to have survived?
Old 12-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #661
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Oh that's right - I have to check out those episodes of Selfie!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #662
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I forgot about last week's myself until last night. I think this argues for the Netflix model. If you are a streaming site, you have much more "buzz" by releasing a season at once because people will binge watch, rather than slowly releasing them once a week to build conversation. The second option may work for shows on television, because we all DVR stuff now, but we don't really remember to 'appointment view' anymore. Hence the Netflix idea is actually a good idea for streaming services.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #663
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ascension (see my earlier post) starts tonight on SyFy at 9pm ET. I really hope its not horrible.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #664
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Ascension (see my earlier post) starts tonight on SyFy at 9pm ET. I really hope its not horrible.

my wife will watch it regardless
Old 12-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #665
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Seriously? I was all-in until the last like...two minutes.

Even despite the scientific inaccuracy of the whole "turning the ship around at the halfway point" thing, when in reality they'd have to start decelerating then to reach Proxima at 100yrs, it's not some magic "turnaround time."

Wasn't sure what to make of the suited guy during the ion storm, but I figured it was some internal ship-thing.

I don't like the twist at all.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-15-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #666
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stake me out tonight, I don't want to let you go til we catch this guy.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #667
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #668
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Brooklyn 99 is awesome. We need more Mike Schur (aka Ken Tremendous) comedies on the air.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #669
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Brooklyn 99 is awesome. We need more Mike Schur (aka Ken Tremendous) comedies on the air.

I've only watched one episode and really enjoyed it. I should get involved.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #670
Kodos
Resident Alien

Brooklyn 99 is a good show.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #671
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Need to go back and freeze on the no board. I know I saw kwazy kupkakes.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #672
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Need to go back and freeze on the no board. I know I saw kwazy kupkakes.

Spoiler

I saw this part mentioned in context of the wire, but its all pretty great.

edit: image spoilered due to size.

Last edited by Radii : 12-16-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #673
chinaski
College Prospect

Black Mirror Christmas Special from last night was completely brilliant.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #674
stevew
Hall Of Famer

found the first season of The Affair to be pretty solid, although there's all these details I probably keep missing and I end up being confused. Obviously Noah killing the brother is way too obvious. I'd lean towards his son or his ex-wife actually having done the deed.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #675
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
found the first season of The Affair to be pretty solid, although there's all these details I probably keep missing and I end up being confused. Obviously Noah killing the brother is way too obvious. I'd lean towards his son or his ex-wife actually having done the deed.

Id say it was an above average season. I enjoyed it, but it doesn't excite me the way Breaking Bad, Homeland, or Shameless do. I will watch season two. Pretty much agree with your assessment.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #676
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The reason I lean son is cause of the horse incident. That still seems odd to think about.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #677
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Even despite the scientific inaccuracy of the whole "turning the ship around at the halfway point" thing, when in reality they'd have to start decelerating then to reach Proxima at 100yrs, it's not some magic "turnaround time."

Wasn't sure what to make of the suited guy during the ion storm, but I figured it was some internal ship-thing.

I can only imagine what you thought of the twist at the end if you stuck around. There might be an interesting show in there but I don't think they can run all 3 separate plotlines at once.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #678
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I can only imagine what you thought of the twist at the end if you stuck around. There might be an interesting show in there but I don't think they can run all 3 separate plotlines at once.

I did end up sticking around just cuz it was a miniseries at a slow time of year tv wise.

Was interesting, a bit crazy, but interesting. I worry that it doesn't change the fundamental nature of the show though - I don't think it'll suddenly turn into a "space opera" now if it were picked up as a show or anything.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #679
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The Gene Wolfe Book of The New Sun series final novel RETURN TO THE WHORL had a similar explanation, if not exactly the ending. I wonder if they snagged it from that.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #680
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I did end up sticking around just cuz it was a miniseries at a slow time of year tv wise.

Was interesting, a bit crazy, but interesting. I worry that it doesn't change the fundamental nature of the show though - I don't think it'll suddenly turn into a "space opera" now if it were picked up as a show or anything.
Yeah, I felt the same... Stuck with it because it's a slow TV time, I had a couple hours to burn, and my OCD would've nagged at me if I didn't at least finish that arc. Idk what you mean by space opera, but the one thread I think could be really interesting is
Spoiler

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-28-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #681
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

The part I never got my head around is that Gualtt and his sister were injured Launch night, which was fifty years prior to the action. And yet they don't look anywhere near 60. Did I miss something, were they injected with life extenders? This is to say nothing about including blacks in the crew in the early 1960's.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #682
Thomkal
Head Coach

The whole "stewardess" part was silly I thought and just used so SyFy could have "adult" material in the show. Way too much time spent on the sex lives of the crew. The thing that would bring me back to watch the first couple episodes of any series would be the guy ending up on another planet.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #683
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
The part I never got my head around is that Gualtt and his sister were injured Launch night, which was fifty years prior to the action. And yet they don't look anywhere near 60. Did I miss something, were they injected with life extenders? This is to say nothing about including blacks in the crew in the early 1960's.

Not the actual launch night - it was the annual launch night party.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #684
cuervo72
Head Coach

So this Allegiance (not to be confused with Takei's Broadway show) is just the brilliant minds at NBC trying to piggy-back on The Americans, right? I feel like this is so thinly veiled that they're not even trying anymore.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #685
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
So this Allegiance (not to be confused with Takei's Broadway show) is just the brilliant minds at NBC trying to piggy-back on The Americans, right? I feel like this is so thinly veiled that they're not even trying anymore.

wow yep pretty blatant copycat
Old 12-31-2014, 04:12 AM   #686
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, it's blatant
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #687
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

‘Halt and Catch Fire’ Season Two Premieres Sunday May 31 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

Premiere date for Season Two of Halt and Catch Fire.

It's a little heavy on the drama, but the subject matter is very close to my heart. I often wonder what might have happened had I stuck with game programming after I made my first sale at age 15 in 1980 rather than diving into the humanities and social sciences for nearly a decade.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #688
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
‘Halt and Catch Fire’ Season Two Premieres Sunday May 31 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

Premiere date for Season Two of Halt and Catch Fire.

It's a little heavy on the drama, but the subject matter is very close to my heart. I often wonder what might have happened had I stuck with game programming after I made my first sale at age 15 in 1980 rather than diving into the humanities and social sciences for nearly a decade.

Agreed. Really good show filmed locally, and I actually know a couple of (very minor) actors involved in this season.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote