Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

How are you a Democrat or Republican?

Other than voting, bumper stickers and web postings how are you your Party of choice?

I know a few Berkeley/Occupy and State of Jefferson types, but most people I know I could not really tell their political leanings even if I observed them for a month.

People say, for example, "I'm trying to be a good Christian." Is it even possible to say, "I'm trying to be a good Republican (or even at least a good conservative)?"

Other than playing to stereotypes of cars, music, food, entertainment, how does one be their Party? Or, does it really just exist in activists, voting and complaining?

AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

One way would be how you spend your money in terms of donations. What causes do you support? Many aren't political, but some are.

What people post to Facebook?

They way you treat and react to certain people?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They way you treat and react to certain people?

I know nothing about this stuff but I was tempted to say the above. Maybe some kind of question like "If you find a $20 bill next to a person begging for change do you give it to them or do you keep it for yourself?" Horrible example but you get the idea..

Whether that determines if one is one party or the other or both I'll let others figure out.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

This could go off the rails pretty quickly
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't consider party affiliation at any time other than voting. I'm ideological, and those ideologies certainly play out in my day to day life, but I can't think of a time I've consciously tried to behave like a Democrat.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
This could go off the rails pretty quickly

I hope not.

I am just wondering if political affiliation is best described through belief, and not works.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

I dunno. I tend to support nature conservation charities. They probably have a liberal lean.

I try to vote with my wallet. For instance, I avoid buying BP gas after their screw-up in the gulf. Mobil too.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-11-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

I never really understood the point of registration or party indentification unless you're a candidate or there's a closed primary. I registered for a party for the first time last year because Idaho has closed primaries and in 90% of elections, the Republican primary decides everything. And because there's a big difference to me between moderate Idaho Republicans and extreme and tea party Idaho Republicans. So, I'm a Republican that's pro-gay marriage, pro-life, will probably vote for Hillary Clinton, and am passionate about environmental and conservation issues. Which I kind of like, because I want the Republican party to be more moderate, and I'm actually contributing to that ideal in a small way. I don't know what % of Republicans support gay marriage and regulations to protect the environment, but I'm at least part of that % (and I know that % in Idaho increased a lot after they closed the primaries). If I agree with Dems and vote for Dem candidates, say, 60% of the time, is that a reason register Democrat or to not register? What difference does it make? I can still vote however I want and have whatever personal opinions I want.

Last edited by molson : 11-11-2015 at 01:36 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't consider party affiliation at any time other than voting. I'm ideological, and those ideologies certainly play out in my day to day life, but I can't think of a time I've consciously tried to behave like a Democrat.

I guess Party is more like sports than religion. It is something that gets people emotional, opinionated, but really requires very little sacrifice or responsibility.

I guess I wish it was as easy to dismiss Trump supporters as it is for me to dismiss Dodger supporters.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I don't have a party affiliation - I don't believe in party politics and think that is a lot of what is wrong with democracies (that and money/corporate influence).

Outside of that as most people here know I lean FAR left in comparison to most people living in the US, I'm Jeremy Corbyn kind of left ... my general ethos is that people who are fortunate within a society have a responsibility to help up those who are less fortunate, I believe in paying taxes and providing a good standard of health care, living and education for all.

(Jon put that pointy stick down please )

I'm also totally disenfranchised in that I can't vote but can pay taxes - which kinda amuses me, "No taxation without representation" and all that

PS - I don't support individual political parties and generally give directly with charitable offering (either to organisations (schools or whatever) or individuals ....).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-11-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
spleen1015
Coordinator

I work hard every day so that my family can live in a area where the schools are good so that my kids get a good public education. I buy my own food, pay my own mortgage and pay for my own cell phone.

I think I am being my party to some extant.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

I tend to fall in this camp. I'm a registered Democrat, but my ideologies are what drive me. I support both capital punishment and gay marriage. I don't feel like I'm completely Democrat and actually hate the "label" the parties seem entail. Too much fighting between them that I find disgusting.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Party politics is the equivalent of rooting for your favourite team, regardless of who is playing for them or how they are doing on the field. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and it's something I argue about with my brother, a big part politics guy, all the time about. The idea of voting for someone whom you don't personally like or agree with their policies just because they're batting for your 'team' is as logical to him as it is illogical to me.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I never really understood the point of registration or party indentification unless you're a candidate or there's a closed primary. I registered for a party for the first time last year because Idaho has closed primaries and in 90% of elections, the Republican primary decides everything. And because there's a big difference to me between moderate Idaho Republicans and extreme and tea party Idaho Republicans. So, I'm a Republican that's pro-gay marriage, pro-life, will probably vote for Hillary Clinton, and am passionate about environmental and conservation issues. Which I kind of like, because I want the Republican party to be more moderate, and I'm actually contributing to that ideal in a small way. I don't know what % of Republicans support gay marriage and regulations to protect the environment, but I'm at least part of that % (and I know that % in Idaho increased a lot after they closed the primaries). If I agree with Dems and vote for Dem candidates, say, 60% of the time, is that a reason register Democrat or to not register? What difference does it make? I can still vote however I want and have whatever personal opinions I want.

I find I tend to be pretty similar

Pro-Life? Check
Pro-Gay Marriage? Check
Pro ACLU? Check
Pro NRA? Check
Think teh NRA and ACLU should be one single rights-based org? Check
Pro-environment? Check
Pro-health care? If done right, check
Pro-union? Check

I want to remove funding for local schools at the local level, since it allows rich kids and families the ability to fund really nice schools, and poor communities suffer,r and move it ti state levels. I want to ban capital punishment, and I want to end abortions in America. I want to scale back our military, which is stupidly big and still holds on to bases and concepts from the cold war (such as waaay too many basse in Germany) The federal government has way too bloated over time, and needs some serious cut back, and I want to move to a simple tax, to avoid the byzantine tax code we have right now. So am I fiscal conservative? A social liberal? I don't know. and frankly, I'm not super caring abou tit. But I am a Republican, registered.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-11-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think you mostly are what you are ... if that happens to match up with a party-identification then fine & dandy. If it doesn't {shrug}.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Other than playing to stereotypes of cars, music, food, entertainment, how does one be their Party? Or, does it really just exist in activists, voting and complaining?

The latter. Most lifestyles of different political folks aren't all that different. Granted, people who are more into guns and hunting will be more likely conservative, but not always, and people who shop at Whole Foods will be more likely liberal, but not always.

I think the rooting for your favorite team, as Groundhog said, is a good analogy. I mean the way you know I'm a Democrat is from my Facebook posts, my Hillary Clinton car magnet, and if we talk about politics.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #17
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm registered as an independent. I did that because I don't really agree with either party. The political landscape is hopelessly mangled in my eyes, and I want nothing to do with anything that seeks to leave it as it is.

In life, I just try to be good to people and hope it influences them to be good to others. Sometimes it burns you, sometimes it helps in the long run. I think its a really "hippie" thought process I have, which to some is laughable and naive.. But I just wish everyone could love everyone else both for their shared ideals and for their differences of opinion even if they don't agree with each other. In the end, we're all in this shit together, and we all have a responsibility to our fellow man to be considerate of them and wish them the best. Trying to rule one another's lives through legislation is really the only idea I do not support. I think if I were better off financially I would start a foundation of some kind to try and improve educational opportunities in my area. My goal is to make sure my kids have the right outlook on the world when they get older, and my hope is to change the outlook of some through my interactions with them.

I try to avoid politics all together these days, but I know if I had an ideal candidate, Bernie Sanders would fit the mold pretty closely. I support most the idea that building a better future through better education and greater opportunity is the way to improve this country as a whole. It might not get better for us, but we should be concerned about it being better for our kids and the generations that follow them. I don't like how selfish our world has become. I also am realistic enough to know that it is going to take something catastrophic to change that.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 11-12-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote