Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #4551
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If you want to talk about the problems with living in bubbles and demanding everyone think the same, I'm all for it, but to ignore the speech attacks from the right on entertainers, teachers, journalists, etc. and limit the discussion to left=Hitler is ridiculous.

I think the Hitler comparisons go both ways.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #4552
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

For those who think that putting pressure on companies to be more LGBT friendly by arranging boycotts is "Silencing Free-Speech", where were you during the "Boycott Disney for having a Gay Pride Day" or "Boycott Starbucks because their CEO take stands I disagree with).

In short, people are upset that their intolerance isn't tolerated.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #4553
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
For those who think that putting pressure on companies to be more LGBT friendly by arranging boycotts is "Silencing Free-Speech", where were you during the "Boycott Disney for having a Gay Pride Day" or "Boycott Starbucks because their CEO take stands I disagree with).

In short, people are upset that their intolerance isn't tolerated.

Realistically? They probably weren't doing anything since only a very small amount of people participated in those boycotts.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #4554
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

True, or maybe it was "Silencing Free Speech that I don't like" for them.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #4555
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
You can read about 1930s Germany and see many differences. The whole Hitler thing is actually closer to the left and proposed restrictions on speech than it is Trump.

You need to do a little more research.

Hitler's approach.... vilify a group as a cause of the problem
Trump's approach... check

Hitler's approach... stir his supporters up to where violence is threatened against his opposition

Hitler's promise... restoring Germany to greatness

Hitler's approach... cult of personality speeches that really define very little other than stirring up a crowd

Trump promotes racism and intolerance and that is eaten up. I can't throw a stone on facebook without hitting someone doing that. Each person that I know who supports him were all HUGE Tea Party supporters and complained about Obama for exact things that the psychopath has done. They have a Tea Party option yet they treat that person as if he were a clinton. If their Tea Party choice was named Ted Smith they would be 100% behind him, no doubt in my mind. That deserves to be called out.

Hell, the biggest racist on this board shows that point clearly... not that he hides his racism.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #4556
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Who did people compare the parties they hated to before Hitler came around?

This is kind of a serious question.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #4557
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Hitler's approach... stir his supporters up to where violence is threatened against his opposition

Hitler's approach... cult of personality speeches that really define very little other than stirring up a crowd

Hell, the biggest racist on this board shows that point clearly... not that he hides his racism.

Your checklist could also very easily apply to Bernie Sanders

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-11-2016 at 10:00 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #4558
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I'm really lost on that example, Bucc. Isn't that an example of the free market at work? Customers suggesting that a company alter its business practices? The company can do as it wishes and must make a business decision based on customers it might lose from either decision. What am I missing on this one?

I think the comparison to Hitler is really poor. The argument that certain tactics in promoting or over promoting tolerance may have a chilling effect on certain groups or individuals who for whatever reason, religious or otherwise, don't share the same views may have some validity. And though I'm not sure anyone will argue that some don't go too far in "shouting down" those that don't share their viewpoint, it's a far cry from Nazi Germany.

It's worth keeping in mind that the individuals and opinions being championed by the "shouters down" are those that have been silenced, whether intentionally or unintentionally, for generations--and ironically those that were quite literally silenced by the Nazis.

I agree that the comparison to Hitler is poor. As far as UltraViolet/Amazon, I think it's a subtle difference in organizing boycotts as consumers (i.e., telling fellow customers not to buy) vs. telling a company that they should not sell certain products. Amazon has every right to sell or not sell products (e.g., Confederate materials) but something doesn't seem right when a group wants to "silence" opportunities for their opponents to show support by buying legitimate products.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #4559
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I was going to point that out as well. Any populist candidate, really. But the clamoring to eliminate the First Amendment rights of others is coming mainly from the left these days. You don't see Trump supporters trying to shut down Bernie or Hillary rallies. You don't see organized efforts to restrict speech like you do on college campuses.

I'm not big on bringing Hitler into political discussions, but if he's going to be there, the left seems to own him a little more these days. You can say there's a slippery slope from Trump's policy statements to rounding up Muslims and Hispanics and killing them, but that seems far more of a stretch than the very real controls advocated by the left over free speech. Not that Trump's policy statements are helpful or encouraging.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #4560
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

That's more of a "demagogue's approach" than specific to Hitler, though. And, let's be honest, the list of politicians who don't do that to some degree is much, MUCH smaller than the list of those who do.

Quote:

And, in some cases, the violence happens. And then the assaulted are blamed for having the temerity to have their faces near the assaulter's fists. THAT is common to both Hitler and Trump in a way that those who try to go "b-b-but the left!" can't loop in with Bernie Sanders (or any other favorite punching bag for conservatives).

Quote:

"Morning in America." Ronald Reagan.

Quote:

Demagoguery!

Quote:
Trump promotes racism and intolerance and that is eaten up. I can't throw a stone on facebook without hitting someone doing that.

That and the "stir up violence and blame the victims" bit are probably the closest ties on the checklist between Hitler and Trump. The rest are straight out of the Demagogue's Handbook and not necessarily much more than ancillary evidence for such a position.

Quote:

Kind of a more virulent Manny Ramirez, really.

Quote:

It's vague enough that you could probably apply it to nearly any contemporary populist.

Quote:
Any populist candidate, really.

Er, Jim beat me to that.

Last edited by SackAttack : 04-11-2016 at 11:22 PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #4561
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
You don't see Trump supporters trying to shut down Bernie or Hillary rallies. You don't see organized efforts to restrict speech like you do on college campuses.

I'm pretty sure they'd be all for the busting of heads of OWS or BLM protesters.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #4562
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
you can say there's a slippery slope from Trump's policy statements to rounding up Muslims and Hispanics and killing them, but that seems far more of a stretch than the very real controls advocated by the left over free speech.

That "stretch" is the whole point. For hitler, up until the moment it wasn't a stretch, it was.

Also, the conservative limits on sex Ed free speech is far more rampant and damaging than what is happening on college campuses.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:33 AM   #4563
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
That "stretch" is the whole point. For hitler, up until the moment it wasn't a stretch, it was.

Also, the conservative limits on sex Ed free speech is far more rampant and damaging than what is happening on college campuses.

Germany was a very gradual process. The first manifestations were seen with the brownshirts as early as the 1910s - more than 20 years before Kristallnacht marked the beginning of the end. Hitler didn't even start this movement. People didn't want to believe what was happening, but pretty much every year between WWI and WWII, the situation became noticeably worse. One person couldn't do that. It was a global movement, tied in very closely with eugenics, which was popular even before WWI.

I'm not sure I follow the limitations on sex ed free speech. I really hope there aren't many college students who don't know the basics of sex ed. And if they do try to get information, no one physically shuts down their meetings.

But there is a comparison to some of those protests of Planned Parenthood, if that's where you're going.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:26 AM   #4564
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

This is the first time I've heard "personality" and "Bernie Sanders" paired together. Everything's coming up Bernie!

Last edited by Butter : 04-12-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #4565
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
You don't see Trump supporters trying to shut down Bernie or Hillary rallies. You don't see organized efforts to restrict speech like you do on college campuses.

You cannot live in this much of a bubble.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #4566
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
You don't see Trump supporters trying to shut down Bernie or Hillary rallies.

You're talking about a candidate who happily encourages his supporters to assault those who do not agree with them.

Quote:
I'm not big on bringing Hitler into political discussions, but if he's going to be there, the left seems to own him a little more these days.

What is this statement besides an attempt to smear "the left" through association? It's an assertion you can't even prove, even if we didn't consider it ridiculous.

Quote:
You can say there's a slippery slope from Trump's policy statements to rounding up Muslims and Hispanics and killing them, but that seems far more of a stretch than the very real controls advocated by the left over free speech. Not that Trump's policy statements are helpful or encouraging.

Give examples of "very real controls" that are more than college students bitching or campuses being stupid.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:39 AM   #4567
Kodos
Resident Alien

There's also the attempt to restrict the teaching of evolution in public schools. That's not coming from the left.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #4568
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:

Exactly. Prior to the Nazi seizure of power, and even for a few years afterward, German fascists liked to utter threats and tip-toe up to the line between rhetoric and action, sometimes even sticking a toe across that line before skittering back. And people (both German conservatives and those on the left) dismissed it as mere posturing--until it wasn't just posturing anymore.

Solecismic, like you, I have no sympathy for College activists who threaten to beat up journalists, who seize public spaces for themselves, and who impose speech codes. I don't sympathize with those who try to disrupt Trump rallies either--I want to see Trump lose, but he needs to be defeated on the field of ideas and by the ballot box, not by outshouting him.

But we need more conservatives to be like Max Boot and Robert Kagan. Instead of reflexively trying to defend Trump because people with whom they disagree politically oppose Trump, those conservatives have had the courage to point out the danger that Trump and anyone like Trump poses to democracy. If other modern conservatives don't do the same, they might wind up like the German conservatives of the 1930s, tactically allying with fascists until it was too late.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #4569
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow the limitations on sex ed free speech. I really hope there aren't many college students who don't know the basics of sex ed. And if they do try to get information, no one physically shuts down their meetings.

There's at the very least a resistance to teaching it in middle school and high school, which is when it is needed. College is too late.

There's also the literature vs evil smut debate which is ongoing: In Virginia classrooms, should parents block sexually explicit literature for their kids? - The Washington Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
There's also the attempt to restrict the teaching of evolution in public schools. That's not coming from the left.

Yeah, there's that too. There's also the matter of how the Civil War is spun, but I think we have other threads on that.

edit: Ok, this is gold though.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-12-2016 at 08:13 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #4570
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

An interesting line of thinking regarding Colorado and the Trump campaign is this whole idea that Trump "will employ the best people." If Team Trump claims it will outmaneuver/outnegotiate Iran, Mexico, Putin, and NATO (to name a few,) I'd like to see them first demonstrate the basic ability to figure out how GOP delegates in Colorado are awarded. If Trump had independent thinkers as his supporters, more than anything else, this debacle *SHOULD* cause them to have a moment of pause, as it cuts to the heart of one of the major claims by his supporters as to why they think he's the best man for the job.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-12-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #4571
Ben E Lou

Dola:

And the foolishness before my post is one of the dumbest arguments I've seen in a political thread at FOFC--which is saying a lot. It should be clear as a bell by now that both sides will try to restrict/block/drown out/hamper/whatever-term-you-want-to-use free speech that they don't like whenever they think they can get away with it. To paraphrase Anderson Cooper, y'all sound like a bunch of five-year-olds with your string of "WELL THEY DO IT, TOO" posts.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-12-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #4572
PilotMan
Head Coach

Way to go Hitler.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #4573
Kodos
Resident Alien

You'll pay for this micro aggression!
Old 04-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #4574
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It is a good question. I think they probably compared them to other politicians their party hated. Or early on in American politics, they probably compared them to monarchists (for the pro-British pols, like Alexander Hamilton) or crazy revolutionaries (for the pro-French revolution pols, like Thomas Jefferson).
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #4575
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Only the left engages in Political Correctness, don't you know? No one from the right ever tries to shout down people on the left who aren't sufficiently patriotic or anything .

(I did like the term 'Patriotic Correctness' which was used by some for a while to showcase the hypocrisy of the right in complaining about 'PC')
Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #4576
Kodos
Resident Alien

I like that.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #4577
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Only the left engages in Political Correctness, don't you know? No one from the right ever tries to shout down people on the left who aren't sufficiently patriotic or anything .

(I did like the term 'Patriotic Correctness' which was used by some for a while to showcase the hypocrisy of the right in complaining about 'PC')

YOU LIE!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #4578
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
To paraphrase Anderson Cooper, y'all sound like a bunch of five-year-olds with your string of "WELL THEY DO IT, TOO" posts.

I've got two kids and a job that requires me to act like an adult. If I can't act like a 5-year-old here, where can I?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #4579
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I've got two kids and a job that requires me to act like an adult. If I can't act like a 5-year-old here, where can I?
When I saw that you were the last poster in the thread, I opened it immediately, because I thought you were going to say "WELL JIM STARTED IT!!!!"
Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #4580
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Napoleon?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #4581
Kodos
Resident Alien

JIM TOUCHED ME!!1!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #4582
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

Republican debates.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #4583
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Napoleon?

He was also known as "The Ogre", another one was Attila the Hun.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #4584
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
JIM TOUCHED ME!!1!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #4585
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

@ Ben & Easy Mac.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #4586
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Republican debates.
Well done, sir.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #4587
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
We have 5 year old behavior here. Classy 5 year old behavior, the best 5 year old behavior. Behavior 8 year olds wish they had. Believe me when I say kindergarten is the most outstanding it has ever been. We have 5 year old behavior.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #4588
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why are they comparing Trump to Hitler when it's clearly got much more of a Pol Pot spin to it?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #4589
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Paul Ryan To Rule Out Presidential Bid In Press Conference Tuesday

Means nothing, of course.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #4590
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Dola:

And the foolishness before my post is one of the dumbest arguments I've seen in a political thread at FOFC--which is saying a lot. It should be clear as a bell by now that both sides will try to restrict/block/drown out/hamper/whatever-term-you-want-to-use free speech that they don't like whenever they think they can get away with it. To paraphrase Anderson Cooper, y'all sound like a bunch of five-year-olds with your string of "WELL THEY DO IT, TOO" posts.

FWIW, I think things like "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" are bs too.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #4591
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
We have 5 year old behavior here. Classy 5 year old behavior, the best 5 year old behavior. Behavior 8 year olds wish they had. Believe me when I say kindergarten is the most outstanding it has ever been. We have 5 year old behavior.

How much 5 year-old behavior does it take to take down an adult argument?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #4592
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Didn't he rule out Speaker, too? Or am I misremembering that one?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #4593
Kodos
Resident Alien

Didn't he say he wouldn't be Speaker if it ate too much of his family time?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #4594
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
How much 5 year-old behavior does it take to take down an adult argument?

Today? One, because the adult argument doesn't want the 5 year old argument to develop a complex when it doesn't win.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #4595
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Didn't he say he wouldn't be Speaker if it ate too much of his family time?

The Obama Presidency - 2008 & 2012 - Page 515 - Front Office Football Central
Old 04-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #4596
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Today? One, because the adult argument doesn't want the 5 year old argument to develop a complex when it doesn't win.

Bah. Things were so much simpler in 2005.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #4597
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
There's at the very least a resistance to teaching it in middle school and high school, which is when it is needed. College is too late.

There's also the literature vs evil smut debate which is ongoing:

What you don't see, though, is parents going to schools and shouting down teachers. And the argument is about the content of what's being taught to children, not whether a teacher can speak at all.

So it's not a First Amendment question related to the speaker himself or herself.

We can argue whether content in public grade schools should be censored, because attendance is compulsory and kids are still developing. But the local preacher, for example, doesn't have a First Amendment right to insist that the Bible is taught.

So the sex ed question is framed by that concept. If someone wants to open a business where sex ed is taught to children and attempts were made to shut that down, that would be a more comparable situation.

And I think the Planned Parenthood protests are the closest comparison. The goal is not to educate anyone or even to exercise free speech. The goal is to shut down those clinics.

The literature/smut debate, especially along the lines of People v. Larry Flynt, seems relevant. If that sort of thing were happening with Trump supporters.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #4598
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
JIM TOUCHED ME!!1!

Where?

Can you show us on this doll?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #4599
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
And I'm reminded that it's not a fight you're going to win, Jon. Maybe that's a bit of why you're so angry at folks, you think the stakes are too high, and know that history probably will not be kind to your views...

History is written by the victors, that's for sure.

That probably connects with why I have no hesitation about the importance of winning by any means necessary, as well as why I'd rather see ashes than a loss.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #4600
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Is anyone suggesting Trump or his supporters be arrested or fined for his speech? To me that's where you could get into Hitler comparisons.

We could debate whether protests or boycotts go too far, but that's a free speech debate, not a first amendment debate. And you'd be arguing to limit free speech of one group (protesters) over another (those being protested). I'm not immune to the idea that the left can go overboard with that, but to argue that the left is the only side engaging in that requires willfully closing your eyes to what is happening on the right, and to argue that it is comparable to Hitler is just ridiculous beyond belief.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote