Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

Is there a looming over-population crisis?

This video makes our population look like it's spiraling out of control and quick. Is there a threshold for when we need to universally start investigating this as a problem? For reasons of food distribution, global warming, water shortages, there's got to be a point where this becomes just as important as say...Global Warming (which to be fair, isn't treated very importantly...yet.)

World Population
Video showing the population explosion taking place in modern times and through to 2030.

I'll admit, I think this is something we need to address (or begin socializing publicly and politically) as much as we need to address Global Warming, but I'm not sure if others agree. Not sure what a solution would be other than family size limits aka China's attempt at it.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-26-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

We could impose "Children of the Corn" rules.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Not sure what a solution would be other than family size limits aka China's attempt at it.

Improve standards of living for people and they naturally choose to have less kids.

Think about it. How many folks do you know that have between 0-3 kids? And a lot of that is because our standard of living is high enough that kids are hella expensive (college, etc.). People have lot of kids when the standard of living is low enough that the kids provide a net value (more labor) instead of a net expense.

Heck, high-standard-of-living areas like Japan and Europe are actually in trouble because they are not having enough kids to support the previous generation in retirement.

If we want to combat overpopulation, we should invest massively in increasing the global standard of living (which is a good thing to be doing anyway).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Improve standards of living for people and they naturally choose to have less kids.

Think about it. How many folks do you know that have between 0-3 kids? And a lot of that is because our standard of living is high enough that kids are hella expensive (college, etc.). People have lot of kids when the standard of living is low enough that the kids provide a net value (more labor) instead of a net expense.

Heck, high-standard-of-living areas like Japan and Europe are actually in trouble because they are not having enough kids to support the previous generation in retirement.

If we want to combat overpopulation, we should invest massively in increasing the global standard of living (which is a good thing to be doing anyway).

This is a less crude way of what I was going to say, so I'll just let it stand.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

While a great idea Albion, I think you run into religious constraints. The quickest way to spread religion is to have a bunch of kids. This how Catholicism spread and it is how Islam is spreading today.

You wont be able to impose your great idea on populations that have no interest in anything except spreading their religion.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
rowech
Pro Starter

Growth rate has gone down some. I've always felt there must be limits as to how willing people were willing to have children given space, resources, etc. in my opinion, we are destined for massive war if we don't figure out a way to get people off the planet and start exploring space for other places to live.

Last edited by rowech : 07-26-2016 at 08:25 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Going to assume these are Nebraska corn and not Iowa corn rules.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This, specifically if you improve female education and work force participation then the birth rates go down.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
Ned Doolittle
Banned

Not an issue at all. Plenty of rural areas will become booming, thriving cities as space limitations force ppl to move and set up residence in places that aren't traditionally high population areas. Every possible space in America and Canada and Mexico would have to be filled up before overpopulation becomes an issue. There are literally places all over North America that there is nothing for miles that are perfectly suitable for living.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Doolittle View Post
Not an issue at all. Plenty of rural areas will become booming, thriving cities as space limitations force ppl to move and set up residence in places that aren't traditionally high population areas. Every possible space in America and Canada and Mexico would have to be filled up before overpopulation becomes an issue. There are literally places all over North America that there is nothing for miles that are perfectly suitable for living.

Yeah - but then where will we go to escape people?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Doolittle View Post

It's not just the living space but it's also finding the resources to satisfy lifestyle wants.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

I agree, mostly. Some cultures, even with improved standard of living are still culturally encouraged to have large families*. That's not a western culture thing, so globally, there needs to be a culture change of serious proportions.

Some ideas locally on culture change have not been effective, and that seems to be income related. We see low income families that join the middle class having fewer children here so that's promising (and why I can get on board with what your saying). But I don't think we ever fully solve the low income issue. That's why I am on board with initiatives like pro-choice and contraceptive initiatives...a break from my conservative (religious) brothers and sisters...but I feel we have no alternatives at the present time except to embrace these types of programs. Unfortunately, it's a drop in the bucket compared to much of the world.

*http://www.wired.com/2014/09/human-population-2100/

Last edited by Dutch : 07-26-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

I think there will be one eventually, but "looming" overstates it.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Or "Soylent Green" or "Logan's Run"!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
Edward64
Head Coach

I actually think the US don't have enough kids.

Don't think we have an overpopulation problem.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #16
wustin
College Prospect

China is peaking or will peak pretty soon. They changed the single-child policy to two recently because there isn't enough children in the country.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I think there will be one eventually, but "looming" overstates it.

To be fair, it wasn't a statement, but rather a question for discussion. I thought it might be interesting to ask because it's not a political discussion (at least, I don't think it is).
Old 07-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yes. There are people everywhere I go and 95% of them annoy me. Let's get rid of em or keep them from reproducing.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
To be fair, it wasn't a statement, but rather a question for discussion. I thought it might be interesting to ask because it's not a political discussion (at least, I don't think it is).

Yeah, you're right. My answer is "no". I think we'll be dead and our children will be dead before it gets serious.

So in true world problem fashion, no one will care about this for another 100 years.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #20
The Jackal
Coordinator

something something malthus something something
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yes. There are people everywhere I go and 95% of them annoy me. Let's get rid of em or keep them from reproducing.

No, I did NOT hack Suicane75s account.

I swear.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

We have a population that is surplus to needs, that in & of itself is a population crisis at some point.

And, in simplest shortest form, yes the Chinese had the right basic premise.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #23
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

I've done some reading on pre-Columbian America (North and South America). Some of the things they talk about are amazing. Like, where did the Aztecs come from (and the Maya and the Incas). They were originally nomadic from North America that slowly migrated south. The first people in what is currently Mexico arrived no more than 10,000 years ago.

How amazing must some of those explorations have been! To hike south from the edge of civilization into a vast continent that was void of people. Just astounding when you think about it. But I digress.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-26-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #24
timmae
College Starter

The area of the world that is allocated for the use of the worldwide population is staggering. Too damn many people I say.. But growth will not be stopping anytime soon. Poor people will always be able to procreate.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #25
Dutch
"Dutch"

Agh!

"Is there an looming..."

Fixed, but my poor grammar (was) out of the bag in the thread title.

My apologies! So ashamed...
Old 07-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #26
Ned Doolittle
Banned

Also factor in marriage rates are severely down, there's nothing to suggest more ppl are having kids without marriage. I would say an entire generation (at least in America) of millenials not getting married or at least holding off on marriage will allow birth rates to taper off.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #27
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yeah, I think the US is probably the least of our concerns.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #28
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've done some reading on pre-Columbian America (North and South America). Some of the things they talk about are amazing. Like, where did the Aztecs come from (and the Maya and the Incas). They were originally nomadic from North America that slowly migrated south. The first people in what is currently Mexico arrived no more than 10,000 years ago.

How amazing must some of those explorations have been! To hike south from the edge of civilization into a vast continent that was void of people. Just astounding when you think about it. But I digress.

Now that I live in the Hudson Valley, I've thought about what it must have been like for Hudson to see the river and the mountains around it.